Thread: 16 years ago today I met Diamond Dave!

The Reverend
    Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

16 years ago today I met Diamond Dave!

July 10, 1994 - 'Your Filthy Little Mouth Tour'
    Commodore Ballroom
    Vancouver, BC Canada

The weather was hot (as it always was when Dave came to town), and me and a couple of buddies were hanging out in the alley behind the Ballroom in hopes of meeting his holiness. The Commodore is only a few blocks away from the Nelson Plaza Hotel, easily walking distance. A few years earlier when Dave was in Vancouver recording 'A Little Ain't Enough', word on the street was that he had moved into the Nelson and took over the third floor... we figured maybe he'd be staying there again and approach the venue from the backside, so we waited.

Sure enough, thee man himself came walking down the alley towards us and the backdoor of the Commodore! As he approached us we just stood there speechless, in a daze and he walked right by us and waited until someone opened the backdoors for him. We couldn't move or speak... we were totally blown away by his presence. Then the doors opened up, and I snapped out of my daze as he slowly entered the venue. It all happened in slow motion as I pointed and barely managed to whisper, "There he is!" Then the doors closed shut and we all snapped out of it.

We all laughed amongst ourselves then went around front to go and see the show. The show rocked, and Dave was on fire with his banter from start to finish. Afterwards we went out back to the alley again to try and make up for the blown opportunity from earlier. It wasn't long until Dave came out and started signing stuff for everybody. He was joking with us all and in great spirits. When he came up to me, I ceased the moment and told him what I had planned to tell him if ever the chance. So I said, "Dave, I'd like to thank you for all the blue skies and sunshine that you've given me all of my life." Then he said, "Well thank you very much. With the way the world is today everybody could use a little bit of sunshine."

After my Sun God preached actual words of sunshine to me, I was complete. Twas a monumental day in my years of surfing the wave of thee Dave, and I wish I could thank him again.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cool story I "met" Van Halen at Lake St Station (record store) in Madison WI during VH II tour in '79 but the place was mobbed and I didn't get to interact with them. I still have the framed VH II album cover w/ their autographs tho. I came home and did my paper route in record time as they were playing the Coliseum that night. I was Van Halenized!
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cool story.. I love hearing things like that.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just one more reason on the long list of why Diamond Dave is the greatest. Great story.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've said it 100 times, if I ever met any CVH members, I'd be a blubbering idiot...

I guess meeting Mikey would be the easiest, he seems to be the most down to earth one....

But everyone else, blah, blah, blah....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    I've said it 100 times, if I ever met any CVH members, I'd be a blubbering idiot...

I guess meeting Mikey would be the easiest, he seems to be the most down to earth one....

But everyone else, blah, blah, blah....
    Not with a CVH members, It was at Metal festival "Hellfest", I met Devin Townsend at a dedicace..I Wanted said something but you must speak fast .(just 30s)
    http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wanted to meet Dave but I ended up meeting Mike and Alex instead. Bummer.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only Vh member I've met was Bassplayer back in '94. Nice guy...
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Thread Information