Thread: The best jazz guitarist ever, in my opinion

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The best jazz guitarist ever, in my opinion

Al Di Meola. He was born and lives in the town where I hail from! He's been around for a long time, I know, but a friend recently enlightened me to Al, and since my respect for jazz has risen.

Flight Over Rio:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Siq2qkINyPY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Siq2qkINyPY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    3:40-onward is the best part. LISTEN TO THE SWEEPS AT 4:22!

Land Of The Midnight Sun
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o0BHJNUVpIE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o0BHJNUVpIE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

These are my favorite songs by the best jazz player ever. Him, Steve Morse, and Stanley Clarke are my favorite jazz artists. Anybody have any favorites that they'd recommend?
    Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm gonna have to go with Phil Keaggy here. Not strictly a jazz player, but his jazzier stuff has some of his better licks....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm not schooled enough about jazz to post any definitive " BEST EVER " answer but I do know enough to post this .

Jeff Beck has dabbled in jazz and is a very good guitarist . I love the " Wired " album .

The late George McCorkle of The Marshall Tucker Band was considered by many to be a jazzy guitarist . I saw them several times in the early '80's and he was quite good .

I saw Leo Kotke in a small theatre " in the round " in 1985 . He was impressive .

I saw Steely Dan in '06 and I thought that Walter Becker flat out KILLED !

Many of my older guitarplayer buddies rave about Al Di Meola as well as Stanley Clark ( School Daze ) is the koolest ! and Steve Morse' Dixie Dregs gets much respect !

I have heard a little bit of the late Johnny " Guitar " Watson and George Benson as well . Both quite respectable players .

Believe it or not , though he was quite bizarre , Frank Zappa was considered a jazzy guitarist as well and his music often dabbled in that direction . Oddly enough , Steve Vai was a Zappa sideman .
    Last edited by Green Manalishi; 08-07-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Di Meola never really thrilled me all that much, as his playing seemed to be a series of scales executed over and over again. I will admit that "Race With The Devil On Spanish Highway" had it's moments, however...

When it comes to true jazz guitarists, it's hard to get any better than Joe Pass.

And people laugh at me when I say this, but I honestly don't believe that Roy Clarke has ever been given his due because of his goofy personality on tv shows. Here he is, performing on "The Odd Couple", of all things.

Last edited by chefcraig; 08-07-2010 at 02:16 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A 'jazz guitarist' thread will only go so far before someone mentions the obvious....

the legendary George Benson
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5QjTK0pL1go&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5QjTK0pL1go&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And of course, in my mind the finest guitarist of all time, regardless of genre...

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Yes, Chet and Lester both had some mighty fine jazz tunes.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    And people laugh at me when I say this, but I honestly don't believe that Roy Clarke has ever been given his due because of his goofy personality on tv shows. Here he is, performing on "The Odd Couple", of all things.
    Wow talk about a classic example of 'Jumping the Shark'.

A quick look on IMDB shows not surprisingly they were cancelled soon after and Quincy went on to star in Quincy.

Also two out of the three of them are still alive, Felix died a while back...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Wow talk about a classic example of 'Jumping the Shark'.

A quick look on IMDB shows not surprisingly they were cancelled soon after and Quincy went on to star in Quincy.
    Yes, but think of it this way...if the show was produced today, instead of stunt casting with questionable "celebrities", the show would have featured "a very special" event, like Felix having a baby. Then the audience would be subjected to predictable antics as the couple respond to the wise-assed remarks and actions of the precocious child actor added to boost sagging ratings.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6zPZd_8JCFc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6zPZd_8JCFc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Holdsworth from Jean Luc Ponty's Enigmatic Ocean

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jean-Luc Ponty is a fine player too!

Thread Information