No announcement yet.

Former QUIET RIOT Drummer Discusses Upcoming Documentary In New Audio Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former QUIET RIOT Drummer Discusses Upcoming Documentary In New Audio Interview

Im lazy today so you can go here to get the rest of the info. This is fuckin kick ass news!

Official site of record label Elektra Music Group: Elektra Records, Fueled By Ramen, Roadrunner, Low Country Sound, Black Cement, Public Consumption, DTA Records

Jeb Wright of Classic Rock Revisited recently conducted an interview with former QUIET RIOT drummer Frankie Banali. You can now listen to the chat in four parts below.

Without a doubt, THE heavy metal success story of the early '80s was none other than QUIET RIOT. After years of struggling in Los Angeles clubs (despite legendary guitarist Randy Rhoads being in their ranks throughout the '70s), the classic QUIET RIOT lineup of Kevin DuBrow (vocals), Frankie Banali (drums), Rudy Sarzo (bass), and Carlos Cavazo (guitar) hit mega-success with their first-ever U.S. release in 1983, the classic "Metal Health". Spawning two hit singles that have gone on to become synonymous with heavy metal — "Cum On Feel the Noize" and "Metal Health" — the "Metal Health" album went on to become the first-ever metal U.S. debut to hit the No. 1 spot on the Billboard album chart, and resulted in a solid year of sold-out shows and non-stop MTV video airplay.

Despite this being an absolute standout era of the band's career, very little substantial video documentation has surfaced. That is...until now. Banali is in the midst of constructing a full-length/behind-the-scenes/warts-and-all documentary about the group (the first-ever solely about QR), which will focus on this aforementioned era, but also, recount QR's entire story — from the first time DuBrow and Banali crossed paths in January 1980 through DuBrow's untimely passing in November of 2007.

The video footage — directly from Banali's archives — will include the aforementioned performance in 1980 through some of the last shows QR played, including footage of their Rocklahoma performance in 2007. Additional video footage captures QR in many phases, including a 1982 performance of DUBROW (a short-lived name QUIET RIOT went by in the early '80s), with DuBrow, Banali, bassist Chuck Wright (Sarzo was playing in Ozzy Osbourne's band at the time), and Cavazo's first video performance with the band, his second total. Also included will be live performances, backstage footage, sound checks, studio sessions, and interviews — most of which has never been seen.

Banali has already invested money into the project, and to make the documentary reach its full potential, he is having an online fundraiser that ends September 2. Fans are being called upon to help back the project, and lend a hand in its completion. Also available at this location is a list of the different increments you can pledge — all of which give rewards of QR-related merchandise, and as the pledge amount increases, so do the rewards (including such simply awesome items as an autographed QR photo that includes the late DuBrow's signature, a personal drum lesson with Banali in L.A., dinner with Banali at the Rainbow in West Hollywood., your own personalized "Metal Health" platinum CD award, your name in the film's credits, amongst many other cool opportunities).

As Banali says, "The moment my friend Kevin DuBrow died, my life and career went from sixty to zero with his final breath." But now, DuBrow and QUIET RIOT will receive a much-deserved video retrospective, that will leave no stone unturned. Get ready to bang your head and feel the noize once more!

The first stages of putting the documentary together are now underway, and a "teaser" clip of what to expect cane be viewed at this location.

I have seen this and have been tracking it. Last time i checked they had around $6200 pledged out of the 20k needed. I think Banali has already dropped a ton of money on the project and just needs some help to get it done. What is cool is that depending on what you pledge, you can actually get thanked in the movie credits. I think the minimum for the credits is 500 bucks. I hope this gets done because i would like to have a copy. Most of this footage will never see the light of day unless it makes it into this documentary. I can at least pledge a 100 or so.
    Last edited by sonrisa salvaje; 08-10-2010, 02:41 PM.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

Here is the link to track it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-documentary-0
      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

"the classic QUIET RIOT lineup of Kevin DuBrow (vocals), Frankie Banali (drums), Rudy Sarzo (bass), and Carlos Cavazo (guitar)"

Horseshit.

If Quiet Riot HAD a "classic" lineup, it was this one......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
          I have seen this and have been tracking it. Last time i checked they had around $6200 pledged out of the 20k needed. I think Banali has already dropped a ton of money on the project and just needs some help to get it done. What is cool is that depending on what you pledge, you can actually get thanked in the movie credits. I think the minimum for the credits is 500 bucks. I hope this gets done because i would like to have a copy. Most of this footage will never see the light of day unless it makes it into this documentary. I can at least pledge a 100 or so.
          Fuck. I hope he gets what he needs. I can't believe he hasn't got what he needs. Must not be getting enough PR

Comment

Originally posted by FORD View Post
            "the classic QUIET RIOT lineup of Kevin DuBrow (vocals), Frankie Banali (drums), Rudy Sarzo (bass), and Carlos Cavazo (guitar)"

Horseshit.

If Quiet Riot HAD a "classic" lineup, it was this one......

I agree! That is one of my favorite bootlegs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jagermeister View Post
              Fuck. I hope he gets what he needs. I can't believe he hasn't got what he needs. Must not be getting enough PR
              That faggot Rob Reiner dropped 10 million in legal fees in challenging Prop 8 in California, the "No Fags Should Marry" Constitutional Amendment.

I think he'd be down for a documentary on Men in Tights n'shit..

Comment

Originally posted by vandeleur
                E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

It'd be interesting to check out, I suppose...

Curious that it would only be 1980 onwards...I guess Banali doesn't have access or authorization to use any Randy-era QR footage.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                    It'd be interesting to check out, I suppose...

Curious that it would only be 1980 onwards...I guess Banali doesn't have access or authorization to use any Randy-era QR footage.
                    It's from his point of view, and he wasn't in the original line-up anyway... but Frankie is awesome, total class dude - and IMO one of the best living drummers in rock. Hope he reaches his goal.
                    Originally posted by conmee
                    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                    Originally posted by eddie78
                    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jagermeister View Post
                      I agree! That is one of my favorite bootlegs.
                      GEEZ how tall was Randy Rhodes, five foot?

Contrary to FORDs opinion, QR with Randy had four years to get its shit together: QR with Cavazo is the band that made it.

It really bothers me to see people constantly slag Carlos for "filling" Randy's shoes. Randy bailed, okay!

- he didn't find a replacement
                      - he didn't set 'em up with a tie-in deal with Ozzy even though the Ardens had pull..

There was alot Randy could have done to get QR parallel to touring and recording like Zakk did with BLS but that's hindsight.. we kids heard alot about Snow's guitarist way before he joined QR. FORD should bet on the fact QR would have languished without him, would have NOT been signed and would have become another Hollywood was-beens' group to feed their better players like Sarzo upstream.

Comment

Horseshit.

I disagree.

That's like saying Metallicas only classic lineup includes Ron McGovney. Yeah, Randy was awesome. But Quiet Riot made it after him. And the most popular version, and the version that sold the most albums and paved the way for mainstream heavy metal had Carlos in it. Carlos is the guy 95% of the fans think of when they think Quiet Riot.

I think of Randy as a part of Ozzys classic line-up. Not Quiet Riots.
                        Last edited by sadaist; 08-11-2010, 03:30 AM.
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Yep, Randy was indeed the founding member of Quiet Riot, and awesome, but it was the Dubrow-Banali-Sarzo-Cavazo line up that was together when QR had the first "Metal" #1 Billboard album ever...
                          Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

Originally posted by sadaist View Post
                            I disagree.

That's like saying Metallicas only classic lineup includes Ron McGovney.
                            No, actually it's more like saying Metallica's only classic lineup includes Cliff Burton.

Yeah they had more commercial success after Cliff died (they only had one major label album out at the time, though Elektra eventually rereleased their first two albums) but just as Jason, Trujillo and whoever the fuck else has played with them pales in comparison to Cliff, Cavazo ain't shit compared to Randy.

I don't envy the guy having to live in Randy's shadow. Jake E Lee got tired of it too. Hell, Ron Wood must know that many Stones fans to this day prefer Mick Taylor's guitar playing, and he's been in the band 35 fucking years. Sucks to be the guy in that position, but it doesn't change the facts.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

No, actually it's more like saying Metallica's only classic lineup includes Cliff Burton.

But I agree with that statement.
                              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...
                              X