Thread: Former QUIET RIOT Drummer Discusses Upcoming Documentary In New Audio Interview

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Former QUIET RIOT Drummer Discusses Upcoming Documentary In New Audio Interview

Im lazy today so you can go here to get the rest of the info. This is fuckin kick ass news!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=144287

Jeb Wright of Classic Rock Revisited recently conducted an interview with former QUIET RIOT drummer Frankie Banali. You can now listen to the chat in four parts below.

Without a doubt, THE heavy metal success story of the early '80s was none other than QUIET RIOT. After years of struggling in Los Angeles clubs (despite legendary guitarist Randy Rhoads being in their ranks throughout the '70s), the classic QUIET RIOT lineup of Kevin DuBrow (vocals), Frankie Banali (drums), Rudy Sarzo (bass), and Carlos Cavazo (guitar) hit mega-success with their first-ever U.S. release in 1983, the classic "Metal Health". Spawning two hit singles that have gone on to become synonymous with heavy metal — "Cum On Feel the Noize" and "Metal Health" — the "Metal Health" album went on to become the first-ever metal U.S. debut to hit the No. 1 spot on the Billboard album chart, and resulted in a solid year of sold-out shows and non-stop MTV video airplay.

Despite this being an absolute standout era of the band's career, very little substantial video documentation has surfaced. That is...until now. Banali is in the midst of constructing a full-length/behind-the-scenes/warts-and-all documentary about the group (the first-ever solely about QR), which will focus on this aforementioned era, but also, recount QR's entire story — from the first time DuBrow and Banali crossed paths in January 1980 through DuBrow's untimely passing in November of 2007.

The video footage — directly from Banali's archives — will include the aforementioned performance in 1980 through some of the last shows QR played, including footage of their Rocklahoma performance in 2007. Additional video footage captures QR in many phases, including a 1982 performance of DUBROW (a short-lived name QUIET RIOT went by in the early '80s), with DuBrow, Banali, bassist Chuck Wright (Sarzo was playing in Ozzy Osbourne's band at the time), and Cavazo's first video performance with the band, his second total. Also included will be live performances, backstage footage, sound checks, studio sessions, and interviews — most of which has never been seen.

Banali has already invested money into the project, and to make the documentary reach its full potential, he is having an online fundraiser that ends September 2. Fans are being called upon to help back the project, and lend a hand in its completion. Also available at this location is a list of the different increments you can pledge — all of which give rewards of QR-related merchandise, and as the pledge amount increases, so do the rewards (including such simply awesome items as an autographed QR photo that includes the late DuBrow's signature, a personal drum lesson with Banali in L.A., dinner with Banali at the Rainbow in West Hollywood., your own personalized "Metal Health" platinum CD award, your name in the film's credits, amongst many other cool opportunities).

As Banali says, "The moment my friend Kevin DuBrow died, my life and career went from sixty to zero with his final breath." But now, DuBrow and QUIET RIOT will receive a much-deserved video retrospective, that will leave no stone unturned. Get ready to bang your head and feel the noize once more!

The first stages of putting the documentary together are now underway, and a "teaser" clip of what to expect cane be viewed at this location.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I have seen this and have been tracking it. Last time i checked they had around $6200 pledged out of the 20k needed. I think Banali has already dropped a ton of money on the project and just needs some help to get it done. What is cool is that depending on what you pledge, you can actually get thanked in the movie credits. I think the minimum for the credits is 500 bucks. I hope this gets done because i would like to have a copy. Most of this footage will never see the light of day unless it makes it into this documentary. I can at least pledge a 100 or so.
    Last edited by sonrisa salvaje; 08-10-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

"the classic QUIET RIOT lineup of Kevin DuBrow (vocals), Frankie Banali (drums), Rudy Sarzo (bass), and Carlos Cavazo (guitar)"

Horseshit.

If Quiet Riot HAD a "classic" lineup, it was this one......

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    I have seen this and have been tracking it. Last time i checked they had around $6200 pledged out of the 20k needed. I think Banali has already dropped a ton of money on the project and just needs some help to get it done. What is cool is that depending on what you pledge, you can actually get thanked in the movie credits. I think the minimum for the credits is 500 bucks. I hope this gets done because i would like to have a copy. Most of this footage will never see the light of day unless it makes it into this documentary. I can at least pledge a 100 or so.
    Fuck. I hope he gets what he needs. I can't believe he hasn't got what he needs. Must not be getting enough PR

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    "the classic QUIET RIOT lineup of Kevin DuBrow (vocals), Frankie Banali (drums), Rudy Sarzo (bass), and Carlos Cavazo (guitar)"

Horseshit.

If Quiet Riot HAD a "classic" lineup, it was this one......

I agree! That is one of my favorite bootlegs.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Fuck. I hope he gets what he needs. I can't believe he hasn't got what he needs. Must not be getting enough PR
    That faggot Rob Reiner dropped 10 million in legal fees in challenging Prop 8 in California, the "No Fags Should Marry" Constitutional Amendment.

I think he'd be down for a documentary on Men in Tights n'shit..

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    It'd be interesting to check out, I suppose...

Curious that it would only be 1980 onwards...I guess Banali doesn't have access or authorization to use any Randy-era QR footage.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It'd be interesting to check out, I suppose...

Curious that it would only be 1980 onwards...I guess Banali doesn't have access or authorization to use any Randy-era QR footage.
    It's from his point of view, and he wasn't in the original line-up anyway... but Frankie is awesome, total class dude - and IMO one of the best living drummers in rock. Hope he reaches his goal.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I agree! That is one of my favorite bootlegs.
    GEEZ how tall was Randy Rhodes, five foot?

Contrary to FORDs opinion, QR with Randy had four years to get its shit together: QR with Cavazo is the band that made it.

It really bothers me to see people constantly slag Carlos for "filling" Randy's shoes. Randy bailed, okay!

- he didn't find a replacement
    - he didn't set 'em up with a tie-in deal with Ozzy even though the Ardens had pull..

There was alot Randy could have done to get QR parallel to touring and recording like Zakk did with BLS but that's hindsight.. we kids heard alot about Snow's guitarist way before he joined QR. FORD should bet on the fact QR would have languished without him, would have NOT been signed and would have become another Hollywood was-beens' group to feed their better players like Sarzo upstream.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Horseshit.

I disagree.

That's like saying Metallicas only classic lineup includes Ron McGovney. Yeah, Randy was awesome. But Quiet Riot made it after him. And the most popular version, and the version that sold the most albums and paved the way for mainstream heavy metal had Carlos in it. Carlos is the guy 95% of the fans think of when they think Quiet Riot.

I think of Randy as a part of Ozzys classic line-up. Not Quiet Riots.
    Last edited by sadaist; 08-11-2010 at 03:30 AM.

13. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (08-11-2010)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Yep, Randy was indeed the founding member of Quiet Riot, and awesome, but it was the Dubrow-Banali-Sarzo-Cavazo line up that was together when QR had the first "Metal" #1 Billboard album ever...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I disagree.

That's like saying Metallicas only classic lineup includes Ron McGovney.
    No, actually it's more like saying Metallica's only classic lineup includes Cliff Burton.

Yeah they had more commercial success after Cliff died (they only had one major label album out at the time, though Elektra eventually rereleased their first two albums) but just as Jason, Trujillo and whoever the fuck else has played with them pales in comparison to Cliff, Cavazo ain't shit compared to Randy.

I don't envy the guy having to live in Randy's shadow. Jake E Lee got tired of it too. Hell, Ron Wood must know that many Stones fans to this day prefer Mick Taylor's guitar playing, and he's been in the band 35 fucking years. Sucks to be the guy in that position, but it doesn't change the facts.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No, actually it's more like saying Metallica's only classic lineup includes Cliff Burton.

But I agree with that statement.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Think it's more along the lines of the difference between original lineups vs. definitive lineups.

While an original lineup isn't subject to contention, definitive lineups can vary in definition from one person to the next. While an original lineup can be the definitive lineup, a definitive lineup doesn't necessarily always have to be the original one.

In the case of Quiet Riot, I'd say the definitive lineup wasn't the original one. It was the Cavazo/DuBrow/Sarzo/Banali one.

In terms of Randy Rhoads, I think of Quiet Riot as the band he was in before he hit the big time.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Folks that jump into online discussions misstating their personal views as fact suffer the consequences of being totally wrong, such as is the case "oh the definitive Quiet Riot was with Randy" not to single FART in this observation, I would include the broad scope of all online bullshitting on this matter I've seen the last 15 years as it's been an ongoing inaccuracy.

The historical fact is: up until Carlos Cavaszo the socalled "California Sound" in radioplay was about CSNY, The Eagles and Jackson Brown with few exceptions.

Even Van Halen couldn't break AM radio: they got a little play on AM with "Cradle Will Rock" but after 90 days that ended as all label promotion goes when the money stops. So that wasn't really organic AM requested-radioplay, the way "Cum On Feel The Noize" was. That was a breakthru. That recording was landmark runaway hit material that changed the whole landscape in radio for almost the remainder of the decade!

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    In terms of Randy Rhoads, I think of Quiet Riot as the band he was in before he hit the big time.
    Chronologically, you found out info about Randy thru the Ozzy Osbourne Band, THEN you found the connection to Quiet Riot - postmortem.

THEN Quiet Riot got an album out. I think the first single went out Nov. of 82, and they had the whole album out six months later.

Randy was gone in Mar of '82, so I don't even think there was a connection to his passing and raising any public awareness of Quiet Riot at all.. everything counted on Carlos Cavazos' presence there, and if not for him and the bands' success, all the other local acts clubbing at the time like Great White, Motley Crue and such probably wouldn't have followed. Because they SUCKED.

I went to one of Motley Crue's shows, Pookie's in Pasadena following The Sharks: who ruled.. awesome band. Crue took a halfhour to setup, and sucked. I was falling asleep.
    I went to a free record-signing show for Great White at the Troubadour in 83 sponsored by KMET, to announce their EP signing and all they had up to that point was a demo of the Who's "Substitute" on Local Licks Sunday Nite show, like at 1am when everyone's asleep. They weren't all that bad but weren't really good in 83, either.

I think both those bands got signed too early, even though they matured later. Quiet Riot was already matured or they wouldn't have broken mainstream, and they didn't break with Randy Rhodes.

They got signed with Carlos. Yet for the last 30 years almost, you go to a Quiet Riot show and you got some fat leather-jacketed fag wearing a Metallica shirt shouting from the back of the club "Randy Rhodes."

If that describes any of you assholes here, just think about what a joyous occasion that feels like getting onstage getting ready to go.. cord check, amp check, you're about to launch into the first song of the night and then you gotta hear fatboys in the back going "where's Randy?" cuz they might have thought it was funny at the time, and cute and all that but I guarantee you they weren't thinking about how Carlos would feel about it.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Agree with the last 2 posts on this. QR was kind of a stopping point for Randy along the way to fame with Ozzy. The other guys took what they had and made it work. I don't think they should be penalized in the history books for continuing forward. Metal Health was pretty much written by Dubrow so in my mind QR was always more about him than it was the guitarist. That being said, Carlos was great and deserves all the credit in the world.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think they've been totally penalized by having been known as Randy's first band.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The thing that i would love to see get released on this deal is the QRIII era simply because it was when they started to unravel. They have clips on the site in the updates that show concert footage from the tour as well as some rehearsel footage, backstage stuff, etc.
    This is the tour where the band supposedly loaded up the tour bus and left Dubrow at the hotel thus breaking up the band. I have always been interested in finding out more about it.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I really hoped he and Sarzo could pull it together with Cavazo and find a new singer.

I'd hoped that since the late 80s actually with the first of Dubrow's run-mauf breakdowns started making press, but who would they replace him with?

Now with Youtube online, some really talented Home Depot longhair who's really good but has no band might be out there in obscurity about to post a karaoke.

You never know: that's how Journey found somebody to replace their LSD problem frontman.. it could and should happen!

Long live Quiet Riot, they were a great band and I hope they regroup. I really do because it wasn't all about Kevin's funny bulging eyeball-faces, they were a good band with a great song catalogue.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah but Carlos has a decent gig with Ratt now and Quiet Riot towards the end was only playing festivals. On the Alive and Well tour back in 01/02 they came here and drew about 500 people. With a new lead singer i don't think they could do any better. Lets face it, unless you are Ozzy or Motley Crue, there is no more drawing power at the ticket window for this genre of music.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Yeah but Carlos has a decent gig with Ratt now and Quiet Riot towards the end was only playing festivals. On the Alive and Well tour back in 01/02 they came here and drew about 500 people. With a new lead singer i don't think they could do any better. Lets face it, unless you are Ozzy or Motley Crue, there is no more drawing power at the ticket window for this genre of music.

You're right. I saw Quiet Riot in the last 90's at a club in San Diego called 4th & B. Maybe 500 people there. A good friend of mines uncle owned the place & she gave me 18 free tickets. 18! I ran out of friends to give them to...lmao. I had one left & had a smoke at the ticket window right before the show & just surprised some dude as he was shelling out the $20 to buy his ticket.

It was a great show though.

As far as Cavazo. Him joining Ratt is the first ever time I have accepted a new person joining a band I like. Weird. No particular reason. Was never an especially big Carlos fan. I just kinda like him in Ratt....and no one original was fired or quit for him to steal their place. (Robin Crosby - rip)

side note about 4th & B.

Weirdest thing. We all went to Quiet Riot & had a very mellow, happy time. 2 weeks later we saw Men At Work and were involved in a huge brawl on the floor. WTF?! We scrap during Who Can It Be Now and not Bang Your Head? LOL. Still perplexing. Alcohol is grate!!!!

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-28-2015 @ 09:48 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It seems that Frankie is no longer on speaking terms with Carlos, sadly, as it seems Cavazo felt the same way about Kevin as Sarzo did. I really do think Carlos is great and though my avatar may say different, he is/was the guitarist for Quiet Riot. Randy was there from the get-go, but he did bail in hopes that he could make a name for himself with Ozzy.
    Strangely enough, though...he was real apprehensive about auditioning for Oz, as the story goes, according to Dana Strum. Stranger still, Dana also claims that at one point, it was Ozzy, Randy, Dana on bass and none other than Frankie Banali on drums! This would be in '79, before Ozzy left LA for England, with Randy to follow a short while later.
    My only summation for the Rhoads years being left out of this doc could be that Frankie saw for himself how the Dakota doc that is in progress has had to go through a good deal of red tape, so he possibly decided to bypass those years and show how the band was able to carry on after his departure and find their own fame.
    I hope Frankie is able to get this done I've always liked them, DuBrow's hokey lyrics and abrasiveness aside and if it does come to light, I hope ample time is given to Chuck Wright...one of the many bass players Sarzo has stolen the thunder from.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tojoro View Post
    My only summation for the Rhoads years being left out of this doc could be that Frankie saw for himself how the Dakota doc that is in progress has had to go through a good deal of red tape
    no doubt, thats a very good point..

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    Chronologically, you found out info about Randy thru the Ozzy Osbourne Band, THEN you found the connection to Quiet Riot - postmortem.

THEN Quiet Riot got an album out. I think the first single went out Nov. of 82, and they had the whole album out six months later.

Randy was gone in Mar of '82, so I don't even think there was a connection to his passing and raising any public awareness of Quiet Riot at all.. everything counted on Carlos Cavazos' presence there, and if not for him and the bands' success, all the other local acts clubbing at the time like Great White, Motley Crue and such probably wouldn't have followed. Because they SUCKED.

I went to one of Motley Crue's shows, Pookie's in Pasadena following The Sharks: who ruled.. awesome band. Crue took a halfhour to setup, and sucked. I was falling asleep.
    I went to a free record-signing show for Great White at the Troubadour in 83 sponsored by KMET, to announce their EP signing and all they had up to that point was a demo of the Who's "Substitute" on Local Licks Sunday Nite show, like at 1am when everyone's asleep. They weren't all that bad but weren't really good in 83, either.

I think both those bands got signed too early, even though they matured later. Quiet Riot was already matured or they wouldn't have broken mainstream, and they didn't break with Randy Rhodes.

They got signed with Carlos. Yet for the last 30 years almost, you go to a Quiet Riot show and you got some fat leather-jacketed fag wearing a Metallica shirt shouting from the back of the club "Randy Rhodes."

If that describes any of you assholes here, just think about what a joyous occasion that feels like getting onstage getting ready to go.. cord check, amp check, you're about to launch into the first song of the night and then you gotta hear fatboys in the back going "where's Randy?" cuz they might have thought it was funny at the time, and cute and all that but I guarantee you they weren't thinking about how Carlos would feel about it.
    I don't think Quiet Riot broke big commercially until the summer of 1983, but I would agree that probably many people hadn't even heard the name Quiet Riot until a year or so after Rhoads died, and the Rhoads connection was probably a sidenote in articles focusing on the band during their banner 1983 year.

I suppose I should have phrased it more along the lines of "when I think of Randy Rhoads, Quiet Riot isn't the first thing that comes to mind and when I think of Quiet Riot, Randy Rhoads isn't the first thing that comes to mind".

Either way, I still don't like you.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Did Rudy Sarzo actually play bass on any Quiet Riot albums?

Kelly Garni played bass on Quiet Riot II, then left the band immediately after the album was recorded. Sarzo appeared on the cover, but didn't play a note on the album.

On the aborted third album Randy Rhoads was playing bass in the studio (some of these tracks eventually were released on the single disc "Randy Rhoads Years" compilation that DuBrow released in 1994)

The bass tracks on Metal Health were all either Chuck Wright or Cavazo's brother (who later joined Sarzo's brother in Hurricane) Sarzo was still touring with Ozzy at the time.

Can't remember if he actually played on Condition Critical or not. If so, that would be the first time he ever set foot in a studio.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Did Rudy Sarzo actually play bass on any Quiet Riot albums?

Kelly Garni played bass on Quiet Riot II, then left the band immediately after the album was recorded. Sarzo appeared on the cover, but didn't play a note on the album.

On the aborted third album Randy Rhoads was playing bass in the studio (some of these tracks eventually were released on the single disc "Randy Rhoads Years" compilation that DuBrow released in 1994)

The bass tracks on Metal Health were all either Chuck Wright or Cavazo's brother (who later joined Sarzo's brother in Hurricane) Sarzo was still touring with Ozzy at the time.

Can't remember if he actually played on Condition Critical or not. If so, that would be the first time he ever set foot in a studio.
    Am assuming he must have played on Condition Critical. For years I had presumed he played on Metal Health until I realized the time frame of that being recorded didn't seem to synch up with his stint in Ozzy. Sarzo claims he played on all but two of the tracks on Metal Health, though.
    Last edited by Terry; 08-11-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-28-2015 @ 09:48 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think the US Festival was the point when QR hit huge. Rhoads was supposed to come back and guest on the closing ballad, Thunderbird, but then it wound up being dedicated to him instead. I believe that's where the majority of the public learned that Randy was the original guitarist, as with the press for Metal Health, it was often mentioned that Rhoads was a founding member.
    I guess if Frankie's doc gets released, we'll find out who played bass where on that album, but I do believe Sarzo is the sole bass player on Condition Critical, Terry. He has a sole co-writing credit with DuBrow for 'Scream and Shout'.
    So, I guess ole Rudy has that goin' for him...oh yeah, Whitesnake's 'Slip of the Tongue' too, and...uhhh...I think that may be about it.
    Well, Tribute and Speak of the Devil, if you want to count live albums.

Thread Information