Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Syrian forces kill protesters

March 25, 2011

Syrian security forces have opened fire on anti-government protesters in the city of Sanamin near Daraa, killing at least 20 people, according to one witness.

"There are more than 20 martyrs .... they [security forces] opened fire haphazardly," the witness told Al Jazeera.

Rula Amin, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Damascus, said Syrian forces apparently fired after protesters set fire to a statue of the late president, Hafer al-Assad.

Reuters reported that heavy gunfire could be heard in the southern city of Daraa, the focal point for demonstrations against Bashar al-Assad's regime in recent days.

Three people were also reported killed in Mouadamieh district of Damascus after a crowd confronted a procession of cars driven by supporters of president Bashar al-Assad, residents said, according to Reuters.

Regime supporters take to streets

But regime supporters also took to the streets in sizeable numbers on Friday, waving flags and images of al-Assad. A large crowd gathered in the evening outside Al Jazeera's bureau in Damascus, demanding to be shown on the network.

Reem Haddad, from the Syrian information ministry, told Al Jazeera that security forces had been given the order not to shoot at protesters "no matter what happens".

"But things took on a different hue because inside these peaceful demonstrations there was another group of people who were armed ... and were shooting at the security forces and were shooting at other citizens in Daraa. At the end of the day this became a matter of national security."

But an eyewitness told Al Jazeera that "there were no people carrying arms among demonstrators".

"What happened in the square ... was live ammunition, I was present myself and I saw the youth and other young demonstrators leading a peaceful demonstration.

"They were chanting slogans calling for freedom and transparency and an end [to] corruption."

'Day of dignity'

The latest clashes come after protesters demanding greater freedom called for a "day of dignity" on Friday following a week-long crackdown by pro-regime forces that has left dozens dead.

At least 200 people marched in the centre of Damascus after Friday prayers in support of the people of Daraa, scene of protests against Baath Party rule, Reuters reported.

Protests spread across Syria, with rallies also held in the central city of Hama and in Tel, near Damascus. According to our correspondent, numbers at these rallies ranged from hundreds of people to thousands.

Daraa, the main city of southern Syria, has become a flashpoint for protests. Officials have been on the defensive after protesters in the southern city were shot dead by police.

The crackdown has already attracted the attention of the United Nations with human rights commissioner Navi Pillay calling for an investigation and an immediate halt to violence, a message echoed by Ban Ki-moon, the UN Secretary-General.

The US on Friday called on the Syrian government to end the use of violence against protesters and the arrests of human rights activists.

"We strongly condemn the Syrian government's attempts to repress and intimidate demonstrators," said White House spokesman Jay Carney.

Emergency rule

Syria has announced that it would "study" ending emergency rule - in place since 1963 - and look into legalising political parties, a presidential adviser has said.

"I am happy to announce to you the decisions made by the Arab Baath party under the auspices of President Bashar al-Assad ... which include ... studying the possibility of lifting the emergency law and licensing political parties," Buthaina Shaaban, the Syrian president's media adviser, said on Thursday.

The current emergency law allows people to be arrested without warrants and imprisoned without trial.

Soon after the promises of reforms were made, the prisoners detained in Daraa during the protests were released. There were also reports of orders being issued by the president for the army to pull out of Daraa.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well fuck. I guess we better go help those poor bastards now. Do they have oil in Syria? May as well make it worth our while.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Syrian forces apparently fired after protesters set fire to a statue of the late president
    Sounds to me like the 'protestors' turned to vandals.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Well fuck. I guess we better go help those poor bastards now. Do they have oil in Syria? May as well make it worth our while.
    Syria's oil peaked way back in 1996, but they have been a target of NuttyYahoo and his spies in PNAC for years, so no doubt an excuse will be made to attack them too. They were actually floating the ridiculous idea that "Saddam moved all of his (non existent) WMD's to Syria" for a while when Chimp still illegally occupied the White House, and I remember some of the Busheep here actually believed it.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think we would all like to think a revolution is as simple as doing some organization out on the internet and protesting until the dictator gives up and leaves. It rarely happens that way. The main question to ask is how bad do you really want change and are you willing to risk your life and kill to get it? What complicates matters is there are always people with money out there willing to finance your revolution with weapons and money. Sometimes taking the help can be worse than what you originally wanted to get rid of. Life isn't simple.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Makes all of our problems seem pretty insignificant doesn't it?
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Makes all of our problems seem pretty insignificant doesn't it?
    All that will be happening here if we don't kick the corporations and banks out of our government. Hyperinflation and a lack of food will set any society off and that is where we are heading on the present course.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A lot of the world's problems are the result of debt held by a few large crooked banks. That's how the world is controlled. They love wars because that just increases the debt nations owe them. They did it to the developing nations for decades and now they are doing it to the industrialized nations.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Syria's oil peaked way back in 1996, but they have been a target of NuttyYahoo and his spies in PNAC for years, so no doubt an excuse will be made to attack them too. They were actually floating the ridiculous idea that "Saddam moved all of his (non existent) WMD's to Syria" for a while when Chimp still illegally occupied the White House, and I remember some of the Busheep here actually believed it.
    I suggested it was true, big deal, I thought we being told the truth...

I learned since then...

But FORD, they are all in on it...

Obama

algore

Dean

Both Clintons

Kerry

McCain

You name 'em...

Blaming everything on "Chimpy" is narrow-minded but it fits the agenda in your mind, I suppose...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Most of them are bought off or even threatened. Howard Dean is interesting though. Joan Jett was actually on Dean's campaign bus after he gave that crazy yell at a campaign rally. Nobody thought anything of it but the next day it was all over in the press that Dean was a wild crazy man. She said it was like the people who control the press wanted to hurt Dean's chances of winning the presidency. When the media makes a big deal out of nothing and the people who were there say the media fabricated things or blew things out of proportion, you have to wonder. It buys credibility with me. I like to vote for the qualified people the parties shun and the media pisses on. It means they haven't been bought off and can't be intimidated.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Howard Dean told Tweety Matthews on Hardball that he would break up the corporate media as President. The next day, the corporate media was calling him "crazy" and "angry". Do the math.

Or for the teabaggers reading this, do the meth......

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Sounds to me like the 'protestors' turned to vandals.
    That's why I love my Yugoslavian RPK M72

Because sometimes folks just lose control and want to go all jungle boogie. Here at JD's Fort Apache...

~We don't take kindly to that~
    Last edited by VanHalener; 03-26-2011 at 03:29 AM.
    ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Thread Information