Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

JIMMY PAGE Discusses Pictorial Autobiography With THE NEW YORK TIMES

JIMMY PAGE Discusses Pictorial Autobiography With THE NEW YORK TIMES

LED ZEPPELIN guitarist Jimmy Page recently spoke to The New York Times about "Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page", the 500-page collection of images that Page selected to represent his career, to be released on September 27 via Genesis Publications, a British company that specializes in lushly designed rock photo books.

When asked why he decided to to do this book, as opposed to a more traditional autobiography, Page said, "I've been approached to do an autobiography, but I thought that was the least attractive way of doing a book. So I thought it would be quite interesting to do a photographic autobiography. It's the story of a kid who's involved with music, but really the music involved itself with him. It's this conjoining of music and a teenager, and off it goes.

"I thought that a career in pictures was really the best way to do it at this stage, but I wouldn't discount the idea of an autobiography. This is usually my defense: When publishing people say, 'How about writing a book?,' I say, 'Yes, I've thought about it, but I'd like a book that came out posthumously.' That's probably as good as it's going to get: this visual documentary, and then possibly, if I ever get around to it, doing a book that comes out posthumously."

Regarding whether it was his aim to correct the record and to present his own version of the story of LED ZEPPELIN, Page said, "No, I didn't think that was necessary. Everyone wants to know what happened here and there, and you've got so many people that come forward with explanations — people who give authoritative accounts who were never anywhere near the place. But there's only one thing as far as I'm concerned that remains constant and true, and that's the music. So if you want to use your imagination, please apply it to the music rather than things that maybe surrounded it.

"As far as a pictorial record, you can certainly see a little bit behind the music, and you can make your own mind up. I'm not really coloring it too much with what annotations I've made. I didn't want to laden it with controversies. I just wanted the pictures to speak in a way that the music does."

Read the entire interview from http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/ar...page.html?_r=3

Check out the book's official microsite at www.jimmypagebook.com.

I guess this is cool but I would like to see some words to go along with it. I don't think Page can't remember any of the good stuff so all he has is a bunch of old pictures to throw in an expensive leather bound book.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    But there's only one thing as far as I'm concerned that remains constant and true, and that's the music. So if you want to use your imagination, please apply it to the music rather than things that maybe surrounded it.
    Amen!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think Jimmy should pick up his guitar and let his music do the talking !! Not a overpriced picture book. I love him more than anybody but what a joke !!! What is the thing $ 600 bucks !! Whatever, he said he was going too put some music together this year and hit the road in 2010. I'm still waiting. He should have went out on Bonhams tour.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

That is a pretty steep book

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2022 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Aprox $685 US for autographed limited edition copy, how much for regular joes?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

After Stephen Davis' Hammer of the Gods came out in the mid-eighties, the market was flooded with Led Zeppelin books of far ranging quality. At that time, I snapped up quite a few of them, and now I am flabbergasted at how much these things are fetching on ebay and Amazon. One of the better ones was a coffee table styled book called Led Zeppelin - Portraits by photographer Neal Preston. Preston had incomparable access to the band's inner circle, and the images he captured of the band at their most unguarded are simply astounding. You can more than likely find a copy somewhere that will not cost the hundreds of dollars that this new collection asks.

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-P.../dp/0060960973

Thread Information