Thread: The Recording Thread

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Back on topic........ Let's talk headphone mixing

Now that I'm replacing the drums on my latest, I've noticed my current mix has cleaned up a lot.
    I've been doing new mixes and cross referencing them using ear bud style headphones.
    The results are great. The buds are like magnifying your mix x10. It's a great technique .

Anyone else use headphones to cross reference/compare mixes?
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I always preferred using a set of phones, rather than relying on the speakers in the studio. For one reason, I always felt the speakers were sort of bright, and what you were hearing on playback was not what the recorder (and later, computer) was registering. In effect, the speakers were lying, if that makes sense.

The downside to using cans is the possibility of ear fatigue is enhanced greatly. The sound is concentrated into your cranium, and if you are going over the same track for about the sixth (or in my case, the 15th) time, you tend to get burnt out much quicker than sitting in the open air, with your ears "breathing". When working on two or three tracks at a time, I found myself going for a series of quick mixes, setting them aside then returning to them later to avoid fatigue. Otherwise, you will find just as strange a phenomenon taking place as using open air mixing: You will begin to hear things that are not there. Seriously, one time during a track's playback after a long, grueling day of mixing (and arguing), the guy I was working with potted down the bass part entirely, then asked the bassist what he thought of the track. The bassist replied that he felt the mix was fine, even though his part was not even in evidence on the track!

So it just goes to show you that regardless what method of monitor you employ, be it cans or regular speakers (Hell, I've heard of artists doing mix down using car speakers or even an actual automobile!), it is best that you are in good shape or are at least not nodding off at the desk.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 10-14-2010 at 07:05 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I always preferred using a set of phones, rather than relying on the speakers in the studio. For one reason, I always felt the speakers were sort of bright, and what you were hearing on playback was not what the recorder (and later, computer) was registering. In effect, the speakers were lying, if that makes sense.
    Were you mixing with home audio speakers? I try to use as many playback sources as possible for referrence. Home stereo, car stereo, small boom box, cd playing alarm clock. Def. good to use as many options for referrence. It's true about speakers inflecting to much 'sweetness" or an over abundance of unwanted highs. ( I assume you were referring to home speakers). I use self powered studio monitors. I find that if I mix things toosparkle up the high & low end too much, when I listen back through the various at my disposal, those opposite end of the spectrum frequencies are extreme to the point of cringe. I all was hold back a bit and leave room for tuning it in during the mastering phase of production. That goes as well for mixdown output levels. Save some headroom for the mastering guy...

The downside to using cans is the possibility of ear fatigue is enhanced greatly. The sound is concentrated into your cranium, and if you are going over the same track for about the sixth (or in my case, the 15th) time, you tend to get burnt out much quicker than sitting in the open air, with your ears "breathing". When working on two or three tracks at a time, I found myself going for a series of quick mixes, setting them aside then returning to them later to avoid fatigue. Otherwise, you will find just as strange a phenomenon taking place as using open air mixing: You will begin to hear things that are not there. Seriously, one time during a track's playback after a long, grueling day of mixing (and arguing), the guy I was working with potted down the bass part entirely, then asked the bassist what he thought of the track. The bassist replied that he felt the mix was fine, even though his part was not even in evidence on the track!
    Ear fatigue is brutal. In the past I'd get carried away mixing and not realizing the amount of time that had passed. One time I drifted far off to the outer reaches of the mixing universe and suddenly realized that everything sounded muffled and warbly and even drifting in pitch (music and the human voice). I was cooked. Scary thing is this stayed with me for 2 full days afterward.. Breaks, know your limits and take 'em (breaks)

it is best that you are in good shape or are at least not nodding off at the desk.
    Exactly!
    Last edited by Diamondjimi; 10-14-2010 at 07:56 PM.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One note on headphone choice. I've found more comfort and control by using ear bud style h-phones. I find them connecting more direct with the audio and they don't have that boxey sound cans can tend to have. Try the two and see. Big difference...

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBrian View Post
    I came here to get a primer on recording. You're a primer on stupidity.
    How.. vitriolic?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I came here to get a primer on recording. You're a primer on stupidity.

Get the fuck out of my thread, bitch.

Thanks to all others who are trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    How.. vitriolic?
    More like how accurate.

So what have you decided on, or are leaning towards, BBB?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    One note on headphone choice. I've found more comfort and control by using ear bud style h-phones. I find them connecting more direct with the audio and they don't have that boxey sound cans can tend to have. Try the two and see. Big difference...
    I've tried both...seems like the ear buds may fatigue your ears a bit faster, but agree they may sound a smidge better. I've also got the Sony MDR-V150s...they do the job, but I'm not a huge fan of recording guitar tracks with them on while I'm standing...it's much easier to do that when someone else is hitting "record" and "stop" for you, though...

I too use self-powered monitors and notice they sound a bit brighter than what you're actually putting down...trying out mixes on different speaker sources is a great idea.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Also, try breaking your mixing sessions into 2.
    First I mix a few tunes at low volume for a while. Take a break, (minimum 30 minutes is good), get some fresh air /watch tv.
    I try and expose my ears to anything but music. Sort of cleans the sonic pallet.
    Part 2, I'll go back and check my mixes at a loud(ish) level and compare the balance of the mix between the two volumes and make any necessary adjustments ..

There's always something.....

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Also, try breaking your mixing sessions into 2.
    First I mix a few tunes at low volume for a while. Take a break, (minimum 30 minutes is good), get some fresh air /watch tv.
    I try and expose my ears to anything but music. Sort of cleans the sonic pallet.
    Part 2, I'll go back and check my mixes at a loud(ish) level and compare the balance of the mix between the two volumes and make any necessary adjustments ..

There's always something.....

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post

I too use self-powered monitors and notice they sound a bit brighter than what you're actually putting down.
    LOLZ uffaak, really..? You're truly baiting the abuse with that one!

Powered speakers like 30 dollar Altec-Lansing 3 watters, which have nothing in-legacy with the actual name, have no bass-end and are flat between 300-1800hz then go off from there similar to the response in a door buzzer.

Go to Speaker City on the weekend, and tell them what you're doing.
    Tell them to select a pair of woofers, tweeters, enclosures and crossover components, and a diagram on how to wire it up at home.

Then dig up a decent solid-state Sansui or Marantz home stereo receiver at a thrift store, or CL for around $20 bucks.
    The I/O switching functions alone on the back panel will be more than worth the $20, and will power splenty what you want to do.

It's hard for me to believe you can't afford a decent playback system. It's cheap to do and requires a little studying up on so you should take some time out.. no wonder all your recordings sound fucked-up. You have no playback!

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm sure there's something here you can use..

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...006684020.html

Speakers for Sale RCA Pioneer Aiwa - $20 (Hawiian Gardens)

Date: 2010-10-14, 5:22PM PDT
    Reply to: sale-ad6hu-2006684020@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

For sale is a used set of speakers used for entertainment. All the speakers work. I have 2 RCA tall speakers, 2 mid size Pioneer speakers that kick really good, 3 small Teac surrund sound speakers, 2 Aiwa tweeter speakers. 1 Aiwa subwoofer , one receiver that doesn't work can be yours for free. Everything together for $20. Call Rogelio at 562-449-5676. Pick up with cash only. No checks or delivery.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a clueless fucktard.
    Self powered monitors are the best way to get a true feel for the tones you record. They can be tuned to the environment you're mixing in and are less likely to colour your signal without using a third party power.(home stereo receiver)
    They are colourless for a reason, Dumbass. And when I refer to "colourless", I mean that they basically run flatter in frequency tuning. (i.e. NO BASS and TREBLE)

Give it up. And keep the fuck out of Gear Street!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a hammerhead.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a clueless fucktard. Self powered monitors are the best way to get a true feel for the tones you record.
    ahhhhhh.... yuh.

I think you're really serious here, but even if you're joking it makes one DAMN funny siggy~!!

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    What a hammerhead.
    Hahahahhahhaa~!! Yeah.. every A-list studio I've been in, including the one I built, had self-powered monitors.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ahhhhhh.... yuh.

I think you're really serious here, but even if you're joking it makes one DAMN funny siggy~!!
    If you believe I'm wrong, why aren't you making your case, otherwise ?

Prove me wrong, Forrest!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hahahahhahhaa~!! Yeah.. every A-list studio I've been in, including the one I built, had self-powered monitors.
    The thread is about Home studio's. NOT A-list studios. Try to follow along, or better yet, FuCkOfF!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Talking Were you replaced by migrant labor there too?

Fucktard - isn't the thread is about home recording...DUH

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    hahahaahaahaaa... oh god.. stop - killin' me HAHAHAHa

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs down STFU and GTFO

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Ahahahaha... missed that one!!!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Arrow Back on effing topic...

Here ya go, BBB...

http://www.m-audiodirect.co.uk/blog/...-music-studio/

How To Set Up A Home Music Studio

Home music studios are a great way to get started on composing and experimenting with the music that you like. Whatever your reason, having a music studio at home will be the first step in taking your music to the next level. Not only are music studios easy to manage, they also allow you to jump on and start recording at any time. Music studios are fun, a definite wow factor to any room and an essential kit to any music enthusiasts.

Below is a step by step guide on how to set up a home music studio:

* Buy the best headphones you can afford. Not only do headphones allow you to listen to your music and compositions uninterrupted, they will ensure that you won’t have complaints from anybody next door either. Top quality headphones will ensure that the right sound quality comes through. M-Audio would probably be a good place to visit for sound hardware.Alternatively, if you wish not to use headphones when listening to tracks on your home music studio, then you can link up the system with speakers. There are a variety of high quality speakers that may come of use when you need it.

* Get some decent microphones. This is the key to having a good home music studio. If you can’t record what you play, then you will spend more time trying to configure your hardware than any actual recording. It is a good idea to purchase a MIDI device, which will allow you to set up your music studio with your preferred instrument. MIDI’s are especially designed to be able to record on computers, so this is a good choice for the music home studio.

* Make sure you have the right software. For most users, all of the tracks and data files will be stored on a computer. Therefore, making sure that you have the right software is extremely important for a good home studio. Take into account that a MIDI is a NOT an audio signal, and therefore the right software on the computer is required to turn it into what we would understand as ‘audio’. Most MIDI’s can run off something as simple as a USB midi controller, so it is not too complicated to set up.

* Understand room dynamics. In order to make the most out of your home studio experience, you will want to find a place where the studio can operate the best without being cluttered by other objects. If possible, dedicate an entire room to the music studio, and make sure that it is well insulated.

These are the fundamentals to creating a good home music studio. The first step is always to look for the right combination of hardware that will fit your needs and whatever space you have to dedicate to it. Aside from that, after you have your home music studio, check up on your surroundings, the room especially, and see if any improvements could be made. Remember that the atmosphere that surrounds the studio will have an impact on how the you perform on the studio set. After the initial set up and checks have been completed, your home music studio is ready to start recording!

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So... B.B.B. Where are you at with your decisions. Have you made your mind up on what you wanna do?
    More or less.

I want to run pro tools out of a macbook pro. I'm still looking at interfaces but it's definitely going to be firewire based. Looking at DigiDesign Digi 003 Factory bundle....whaddya think? Plug ins limke POD Farm or Recabinet are going to have to wait awhile.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That sounds like a good start, BBB
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    More or less.

I want to run pro tools out of a macbook pro. I'm still looking at interfaces but it's definitely going to be firewire based. Looking at DigiDesign Digi 003 Factory bundle....whaddya think? Plug ins limke POD Farm or Recabinet are going to have to wait awhile.
    Sounds good. Podfarm will cost a few bucks but Recabinet is practically free...click. Grab it while it's cheap and burn it to disc so when you need it you have it....

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why waste time with Protools if you got a mac? Why not just run straight to Logic anyways..

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pay no attention to this jackass, BBB (not that you were).... sounds like a killer set up.

And STFU, GARfail.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...Looking at DigiDesign Digi 003 Factory bundle....whaddya think?...
    Are 4 Mic-Preamps enough for you?

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd like to thank a certain Junior Member #7,279 for at times attempting to speak on behalf of myself, or Member #51 when instead we've asked only for opinions.

Please explain now why comparatively he should go with Protools as opposed to Logic with a new setup.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Free-air common system cones would far outperform a plasticy, tinny selfpowered-set.

Unfortunately Jay, someone already picked up that $20 pile and made off like a bandit!

I hope for your sake that was you who picked 'em up. There's no excuse now.. I've lead you this far you'll have to figure it out for yourself.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...I don't want to buy a basic interface and want to upgrade six months down the road.
    Drums: 6 or more Mics http://homerecording.about.com/od/re...rdingdrums.htm
    Drums: 4 Mics (Glyn Johns Method) http://homerecording.about.com/od/re...glyn_johns.htm

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd like to thank a certain Junior Member #7,279 for at times attempting to speak on behalf of myself, or Member #51 when instead we've asked only for opinions.

Please explain now why comparatively he should go with Protools as opposed to Logic with a new setup.
    Here's member 5226 speaking on behalf of the entire internets.

Shut the fuck up & jump off a fuckin' bridge, loser!

Cheers! :bottle:

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Imapus Sylicker View Post
    Here's member 5226 speaking on behalf of the entire internets.

Shut the fuck up & jump off a fuckin' bridge, loser!

Cheers! :bottle:
    Exactly!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh, FFS - STFU, GAR.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FF-wha? How about it Jay, why is Protools a better choice than Logic if he's using Mac..

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Okay, if I was going Mac, I'd get an Apogee ONE and use it with Logic.

.. sweetwater has it obviously = 249 with softcase and micstand holder.

I've been to a clinic with the guy talking here, its USB interface but since it does a/d conversion onboard, he told me firewire was unnecessary due to unused throughput transfer for even the USB.. no lagging.

Apogee ONE has a built-in mic w 65db of gain, which is ALOT. Meaning, if you do alot of emo whispering tunes like Coldplay and such, or portable ideas-catching stuff, the extra gain and tiny size works great for it.

You can use it with Finalcut Pro, Garageband, Protools or Logic.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FF-wha? How about it Jay, why is Protools a better choice than Logic if he's using Mac..
    How about, BESIDES THE AFOREMENTIONED FACT THAT IT'S THE INDUSTRY STANDARD, YOU IDIOT - because it's specifically designed to work with Macs, hammerhead. Get a PT HD system, comes with a dedicated Mac.
    It happens to also work with PCs - as a matter of fact, I set up all my track info to be completely interchangeable on a Mac....because I can.

And for the record, no one cares "what you'd do ...IF" - so STFU already.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BBB setup with a Mackie Onyx 1620i (8 Mic-Pres / Analog Monitoring / Firewire Interface)

http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1620i/

What do you think, people?

Thread Information