X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diamondsgirl
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2004

"Just Like Paradise" in "Rock of Ages"

My family knows that I am a huge fan of (most) 80's music as well as a fan of musical theater. For my birthday, my sister is taking me to see "Rock of Ages" which is a Broadway production of a love story based in the 1980's. So, naturally, the entire soundtrack is all 1980's rock songs. I checked it out and found that "Just Like Paradise" (one of my favorite Roth solo tunes) is on the sound track.

I think it is pretty flattering for Dave that they would choose this song to be one of a handful of 1980's songs to be in this amazing production. I am surprised that Dave agreed to it, though. How much $$ do you think he is getting?

Anyway, I think the vocals sound horrid on this youtube, but I am hoping it is better LIVE during the production.

“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Too bad the original had crappy computer drums...

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Hmmm...

Not the worst thing I ever heard...

Might be good live...

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

According to Dave's Crazy From The Heat book, back when Skyscraper was released, the producers of Beverly Hills 90210 approached his manager about using "Just Like..." as the show's theme song. Reportedly, the manager refused without consulting Roth. Undetered, the producers went ahead and had a song written by some guy named John Davis to approximate Roth's tune for the series. A close listen reveals that the dynamics of the two songs are remarkably similar. Perhaps Dave didn't want to miss out on the royalties this time around.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• diamondsgirl
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Apr 2004

Funny that the lead character's "stage name" is Wolfgang.
          “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Diamondjimi
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
            According to Dave's Crazy From The Heat book, back when Skyscraper was released, the producers of Beverly Hills 90210 approached his manager about using "Just Like..." as the show's theme song. Reportedly, the manager refused without consulting Roth. Undetered, the producers went ahead and had a song written by some guy named John Davis to approximate Roth's tune for the series. A close listen reveals that the dynamics of the two songs are remarkably similar. Perhaps Dave didn't want to miss out on the royalties this time around.

Catchy , predictable melody line but the dudes vibrato is almost as bad as Kirk Hammett's...
            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Anonymous
              Banned
              • May 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig

Dave wrote "Just Like Paradise" to be his 5th symphony.

Fuck all "artists" that refuse to give in to "the man".

Dave is smart enough to know that you need a couple of instantly recognizable hits to pay for your whole career. If you've got it made in the shade, you can afford to be a pretentious snobby pompous arse afterwards when it comes to your creative output.

And he nearly made it. Isn't that tune the official theme of some Hawaiian radio station? If 90210 had that song as the title theme, Dave would be wiping his arse with $100 bills.

Money first, art later.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Apr 2004

Just Like Paradise was actually the opening song of the play which was very cool. Starting off with that, you can't go wrong. During intermission they played Yankee Rose and then I enjoyed some Jack Daniels at the theater bar, just because.

The play was really funny and well acted, IMO. Anyone who likes musical theater should check it out. The lead guy, Constantine?? has got some pipes.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

not bad...
                  Roth Army Icon
                  First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

As a male heterosexual I have absolutely no interest in musical theatre.

Comment

• ashstralia
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      As a male heterosexual I have absolutely no interest in musical theatre.
                      ultimately you limit not just yourself with this statement, seshy.
                      musical the8r is a valid artform, and as a fellow hetero male, i resemble your remark.

(also a grate place to meet chicky babes)

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Good for you, this is quite a public forum to come out the closet in and that was brave.

I salute your right to gayness!

Comment

• ashstralia
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Feb 2004

hahahahahehehehe...as i mentioned, i'm not gay.
                          (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

a man can enjoy a good singalong play, in my experience that is not emasculating.
                          at all. did i mention the chicky babes? woooooohoooooo......you've seen dancing girls bodies, yeah?
                          YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!~!!!!!!~!!!!!~!!!

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                            ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

pretty funky stuff.Going from Dave to poison made me laugh,sounds like they got brett in for that section
                            I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                            Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's just not natural.

Comment

Working...