X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

DLR + VH mentions in Vince Neil's book

Just finished reading Vince Neil's Book, "Tattoos & Tequila" ..... After reading The Dirt, Tommyland, The Heroin Diaries and now Vince's book, it's clear the Crue boys have a ton of respect for The Mighty Van Halen....

Anyway, DLR was in there quite a bit, EVH not as much... Here's a transcript of Dave's part;

There were plenty of big names hanging out on the Strip, but the first big name to call himself a fan was David Lee Roth of Van Halen. Later David Lee would become a fixture at our apartment, known at the Motley House - he was there all the time doing coke and trolling for an easy fuck. There's one story about him doing blow in our bedroom and this mirrored door from our closet fucking fell off and landed on his head...and he didn't flinch; he just dept on snorting.

David Lee came to a lot of our shows at the Troubadour, the Whisky, wherever. He was a huge star. I think he had some ulterior motives, though. Unlike a lot of rock bands, our crowd was always, like, a majority of women. I swear it was sometimes like 90 percent girls. So he would come to the gigs and introduce the band. Clever boy: Before we'd even started playing, everybody in the club knew he was there. Then he'd just kick back and collect pussy the rest of the night. It was a good deal for everybody. We got the boost. He got the blow jobs.

One night David Lee was like, "Vince, I want to take you out to breakfast and tell you how things are." For somebody that was that huge to take me under his wing was really cool. It was an honor. Even to an irreverent fuck like myself.

We met at Canter's Deli in Fairfax. When he drove up he was in his black Mercedes with a big skull and cross bones painted on the hood. I was like, "That's pretty fucking cool". We talked all about business. What I should do and not do. Who I should avoid. He was basically trying to give me tips to help me get started, so I wouldn't get ripped off like everyone always does. It was stuff like "you have to watch out for this or that." Or "make sure you have distribution, you know". He was talking about national distribution and deals and things - I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. It was a little bit, like, Oh My God!

And later....

At the end of 1981, we started to record our debut album, Too Fast for Love. Because we still hadn't been signed by a major label, we decided to create our own: Leathur Records.
    It was cool to say we had a label - with a cool name and a cool umlaut - but what we didn't have was a distribution label. Just like David Lee Roth had warned, no one was going to hear the fucking thing!
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • VAiN
    Use my hand, I won't look
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Thanks for sharing that! Very cool to hear about Dave... Man, to have been a fly on the wall...
    Originally posted by wiseguy
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Hummarstra
      Commando
      • Feb 2004

Thanks. The second paragraph is fucking funny! I also think Dave deserves respect for inviting Vince to breakfast to tell him "how it is."

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
        Later David Lee would become a fixture at our apartment, known at the Motley House - he was there all the time doing coke and trolling for an easy fuck. There's one story about him doing blow in our bedroom and this mirrored door from our closet fucking fell off and landed on his head...and he didn't flinch; he just dept on snorting.
        Hey, a man's got his priorities...... +

Last edited by Diamondjimi; 10-17-2010, 05:01 PM.
        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Carloscda
          Foot Soldier
          • Jan 2009

"Then he'd just kick back and collect pussy the rest of the night"

That's how it's supposed to be done...

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Carloscda
            "Then he'd just kick back and collect pussy the rest of the night"

That's how it's supposed to be done...
            amen!
            Roth Army Icon
            First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Distribution always has and is the problem. I just finished reading a book on Walt Disney and his biggest problem next to producing his animated movies was getting them out. He eventually has to start his own distribution company.

It's the same today. The cost of making an album is cheaper than ever but you have to promote it and distribute it. Even with the internet and online MP3's, you have to have a promotion channel to get the big hits and then how do you make money off your music now? The new problem today is how do you keep your music from being stolen?
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

As far as not getting ripped off, Van Halen did get ripped off. Warner Brother's gave them advance money at 30% interest and they spent like the first three years paying it off. Van Halen was always part of the Warner Brother's machine and used their distribution system. They never had their own label ever. I think they got smarter and produced their albums out of pocket and then gave it to Warner's to market. Basically, the movie studios used to give the actors huge advances including nice homes and charge them huge interest fees. Part of the strategy was to keep the actor broke so they would always have to work. They typically got lazy and didn't want to do movies once they had enough money. The actors like Dorris Day and John Wayne made a ton of movies because they were always broke. It is no different with bands. You will live a wonderful lifestyle but your personal cash flow will be marginal.

Van Halen seemed to cover their production costs out of pocket and then use Warner's to distribute the albums and promote the band. VH had a big enough fan base the could negotiate those kinds of deals but I think after that first advance and the band making no money, they got smart. Eddie once said everyone still lived at home even after they got signed because nobody really had that much money. They were paying off Warner's advance and then taking what was left and investing it back into the band.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Also as I think Roth points out in his book everyone took their percentage from your advance. Effectively then your management and lawyers take 20% of the money the record company loan you but you pay it all back.

One of the other great cons is when bands would say excitedly that they had a 6 album deal not realising the record company could dump them at any point but that they couldn't leave or renegotiate for 6 albums. Even worse if they dump you they can say that you aren't allowed to work together as a band any more for anyone else. In other words you wanted a 1 album deal. Noone tells you this because your 'advisors' were probably introduced to you by the record company and/or are doing well out of you being screwed in any case.

This is all the stuff Roth would have been telling Vince but he'd be wasting his time since that band are as thick as shit...
                  Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-26-2010, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• VHscraps
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2009

That reminds me of the infamous 'cure-for-cancer' interview EVH did with Howard Stern. At one point they were talking about DLR - and this was maybe a year before the recent reunion - and I think Stern asked what Roth's motivation for getting the band back together could be, and Ed said, 'maybe he needs the money.' Stern said - 'what, after selling millions of albums, you're saying he's run out of money?' To which Ed replied, 'ugh, yeah.' As if to say, 'doh!' . He knew that Dave had bad deals and had sunk money on failed ventures - Vegas, the BBQ film, etc.

Ed Leffler renegotiated better deals for Van Hagar with Warners - which also covered royalties for the DLR-era catalog - and Dave got shafted. Mike Anthony also said they never started making money until the Van Hagar years - probably because they had renegotiated their contracts.

But think about it - they must've made a shedload of money for Warners. Recording albums for less than 100k (when other bands were spending ten times that), which then went on to sell millions of copies. Warners was a pretty cool label to be on back then in the 70s, and they had the WEA distribution network - but they weren't exactly promoting the hell out of Van Halen. Especially not in Europe.
                    Last edited by VHscraps; 10-26-2010, 12:31 PM. Reason: typos
                    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think Roth was making 10 cents an album from the VH catalogue. Take off interest, all the percentages management grabbed, recording costs, hangers on and he probably only cleared a million or two. That may sound a lot but to run a rock star lifestyle for 30 years including a more than passing interest in coke and he was probably living off his solo career rather than his Van Halen earnings for most of the time.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by VHscraps
                        Especially not in Europe.
                        They stopped touring Europe early on which affected sales and their profile. If you mention Van Halen in a group of average 40 somethings like I did at the weekend half of them are unsure who they are and the rest have a vague recollection of Jump or worse maybe a Hagar ballad. That's why I don't usually mention Van Halen very often in company.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          If you mention Van Halen in a group of average 40 somethings like I did at the weekend half of them are unsure who they are and the rest have a vague recollection of Jump or worse maybe a Hagar ballad. That's why I don't usually mention Van Halen very often in company.
                          I stopped mentioning VH to folks I hung with years ago. You can only take so many "Van Halen, I loved that guy. His videos were so funny" or "Man, he was a wicked guitar player. When did he pass away?" comments before you pretty much give up and start talking about movies and tv shows.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
                            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

So I guess that proves what I have known all along.

Dave isn't gay.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The jury is still out on you though...

Comment

Working...