Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: micheal anthony on that metal show next saturday

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

toooooooooooooooooooooool

I didn't see show but Trunk's comments virtually guarantee EVH will never be on that show, he may even try to keep DLR off.
    Yes Trunk is a tool but I watch the show for the guests.
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    To save time, here is the entire That Metal Show segment featuring Michael Anthony...

Eddie Trunk: So, welcome to the show, Mike!
    Anthony: Thank you.
    Jim Florentine: We've wanted to get VH on the show for years, but you're the best we could do.
    Anthony: Ummm, wait a minute...
    Don Jamieson: So why aren't you in the band?
    Anthony: That's a good question.
    Trunk: Are they recording?
    Anthony: I dunno...
    Florentine: Sucks being replaced by a fat kid, eh?
    Anthony: Hey!
    Trunk: Oh well, what's up with Chickenfood?
    Anthony: We are taking a break...
    Florentine: Story of your life, eh?
    Anthony: Hey!
    Trunk: OK, thanks Mike. Up next, one of the guys from Tesla is going to tell us about his new cook book. We'll be right back.
    Sad part is that's pretty close to what the actual interview was.

Anthony had nothing of consequence to say regarding any of the biz as to why he isn't in VH.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    The only song I actually like from 5150 is the song "5150". Not the words or chorus or anything. I just really dig the guitar & especially the drums in that song.
    A pretty good tune, guitar-wise. Can't say as I cared much for the Simmons drums or the way the tune was produced from an engineering standpoint.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    MA seems like a cool enough guy. I'd love to have a beer with him....and then slap his pudgy little face. 5150 and forward basically took a dump on what was CVH. Instead of owning up to what garbage they recorded he wants to follow Sammy around trying to validate him as the next messiah. Well fuck him. Sammy is the pied piper of the skin flute with all the little sheep following him around trying to suck him off. Does this make Mike a sheep? You're damn right it does. Would i like Mike to come back and record/tour with the CVH lineup? Yeah...i guess for the nastalgia effect. Could he shut his mouth long enough to do it? Hell no.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    A pretty good tune, guitar-wise. Can't say as I cared much for the Simmons drums or the way the tune was produced from an engineering standpoint.
    Yeah. Most people hated the sound of the drums from that album. I just like them in the song 5150 cause he does a shitload of fills & runs or whatever they are called. Always my favorite thing for a drummer to add in to a song, and Alex overloads that tune with it.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    I don't think Michael Anthony played on VHIII...
    who cares anyway...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    who cares anyway...
    No one really. Even if Mike didn't play on it & doesn't get any cut of the royalties...who cares? What royalties? It's not like it ever flew off the shelves.

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I didn't know they made 11 albums.
    Nope VAN HALEN only recorded 6 ALBUMS

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Nope VAN HALEN only recorded 6 ALBUMS

"Those Who Dare, Win!"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't think Michael Anthony played on VHIII...
    I think Ed did the bass-no big deal as MA didn't miss much-that album sucked balls anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    No one really. Even if Mike didn't play on it & doesn't get any cut of the royalties...who cares? What royalties? It's not like it ever flew off the shelves.
    He was a hired gun on the 2004 Reunion Tour as well. Made very little from what I hear.
    I'd love to hear what happened between the VH sisters and MA

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ppg960 View Post
    I think Ed did the bass-no big deal as MA didn't miss much-that album sucked balls anyway.

He was a hired gun on the 2004 Reunion Tour as well. Made very little from what I hear.
    I'd love to hear what happened between the VH sisters and MA
    Would tend to think it's not really much more than we've been able to suss out already:

Mike got tired of sitting around waiting for something to happen, decided to jam with Hagar onstage when the opportunity presented itself.

Ed used this as an opportunity to dump him and get Wolfgang in the band.

Essentially, after 30 years together, Biff Malibu and the Van Halens just plain got tired of each other.

I mean, considering Anthony was basically a hired gun on the 2004 tour for what was reportedly a smaller percentage than the Van Halens, why would he even WANT to come back into the band now if financially the same situation were to exist?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One more thing I wanted to mention:

It's crystal clear, to me anyway, judging by MA's body language, that he would jump at the chance to rejoin VH, if and when that ever would happen....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    even hagar the horrible called TAFKAB thie "spineless wonder" in his never released auto-biography...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sad part is that's pretty close to what the actual interview was.

Anthony had nothing of consequence to say regarding any of the biz as to why he isn't in VH.
    Looking at the way it played out... Mike's probably just as informed as all of us as to why he isn't in VH.

"Ed did it."

In 2004 Ed wanted Mike out for no apparent reason. So to play on that BOBW tour Mike had to sign away his rights to the Van Halen name, logo's and trademarks. Just like Dave, Spammy and Cherone did previously. Just like those three... Mike did retain his full publishing and royalty rights. Although in Cherone's case his annual royalty income wouldn't buy him a cup of coffee today...

So Mike became a "contract" player back then. Just like Dave is or could be was now... who the fuck knows? Ed... again...

Then in late 2006 or early 2007... Mike along with all of us learned he'd been replaced by Ed's fat brat via the internet. Again for no rational reason.

The only place an explaination for Mike's booting from VH rests is in the minds of two Dutch Pricks, who between the two of them couldn't produce a beer-fart in whirl wind even if they tried today...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JOETHUNDER,LP!! View Post
    I never cared for "mikey". He's a little bitch
    Which one...the dork on American Chopper, the chubby guy that used to be in VH or the kid from the LIFE cereal commercial?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    One more thing I wanted to mention:

It's crystal clear, to me anyway, judging by MA's body language, that he would jump at the chance to rejoin VH, if and when that ever would happen....
    You may well be right...although I'm not sure what that would say about him...I suppose it really would confirm he was spineless...I mean, fuck, the dude stood by the Van Halens through one bad career move after the next and they end up dumping him. Not dumping him so they could get a bass player with better abilities in either the technical or songwriting departments, mind you, but dumping him to bring in a 16 year-old kid. Now, fair enough, Anthony may have stuck around because it wasn't like he had a slew of major labels prodding him to leave the band and start a highly prolific solo career ("Biff Malibu/Songs in the key of E"), but he basically got fuck all for his loyalty in the end. A member of the only Van Halen lineup that ever mattered, and by 2004 he is reduced to a contract player forced to sign away his rights...the baffling part is he actually did it...while the Van Halens are a pair of dickheads, another aspect of it is that usually people can't take advantage of you unless you let them.

I suppose he would rejoin if asked, for reduced financial terms to boot. Were I in a similar situation, I'd hope to have enough sense of self-respect to tell the Van Halens to get fucked, and not pull any punches in interviews when asked why I'm not in the band. It was almost as if in TMS interview he was reluctant to flat-out say why...unless he's just plain over all of it and doesn't give a shit.

Sometimes it may be the case of us thinking far more about the inner workings of Van HAlen than the band members themselves do.

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Elephant Trunk pisses me off everytime I watch him.

When he was telling that other dude to "hush", I wanted him to punch him in the face.
    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You may well be right...although I'm not sure what that would say about him...I suppose it really would confirm he was spineless...I mean, fuck, the dude stood by the Van Halens through one bad career move after the next and they end up dumping him. Not dumping him so they could get a bass player with better abilities in either the technical or songwriting departments, mind you, but dumping him to bring in a 16 year-old kid. Now, fair enough, Anthony may have stuck around because it wasn't like he had a slew of major labels prodding him to leave the band and start a highly prolific solo career ("Biff Malibu/Songs in the key of E"), but he basically got fuck all for his loyalty in the end. A member of the only Van Halen lineup that ever mattered, and by 2004 he is reduced to a contract player forced to sign away his rights...the baffling part is he actually did it...while the Van Halens are a pair of dickheads, another aspect of it is that usually people can't take advantage of you unless you let them.

I suppose he would rejoin if asked, for reduced financial terms to boot. Were I in a similar situation, I'd hope to have enough sense of self-respect to tell the Van Halens to get fucked, and not pull any punches in interviews when asked why I'm not in the band. It was almost as if in TMS interview he was reluctant to flat-out say why...unless he's just plain over all of it and doesn't give a shit.

Sometimes it may be the case of us thinking far more about the inner workings of Van HAlen than the band members themselves do.
    Van Halen went on tour without Michael Anthony and it they did very well without him. People go to see Eddie and Dave. The bass player and drummer could be anyone.

So Mike doesn't have any negotiating power because VH can sell tickets without him. Eddie will always draw a crowd and add Dave in they are still a power house.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Van Halen went downhill as soon as Eddie became a studio wanker.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Van Halen went downhill as soon as Eddie became a studio wanker.
    I dunno...I thought they made a couple of good albums after Fair Warning.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A buddy of mine told me about 10 years ago that VH went downhill when Ed stopped doing coke....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My new band is called Chickenfood...
    But Sam is in the band. CHICKENFUCK is probably a more accurate name because when Sam comes into the barnyard the chickens run to avoid being raped.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    why would he even WANT to come back into the band now if financially the same situation were to exist?

Because a small percentage of a real Van Halen reunion is going to be much much larger than an equal percentage of Chickenfoot.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I dunno...I thought they made a couple of good albums after Fair Warning.
    I think 1984 is a great album, but it was the beginning of the end.

It could be for lots of reasons. But I think it might have been a combination of being married and having the studio. Okay he got married in '81, but went straight on tour for most of 1981 after finishing in the studio with FW. Then, bounced into the studio at the turn of 1982, followed by touring from summer 82 to the end of the year. The beginning of '83, when the studio was being built probably coincided with his first extended bout of domestic life with the new wife.

And she, of course, was telling him not to let Dave run the band. Put that together with the studio, and marginalising Templeman as well - and hey presto, the writing is on the wall.

When they were making all those earlier albums - right up to Diver Down - they were still rehearsing and working up tunes in the basement of Dave's father's house. On Dave time, in other words. Soon as Eddie got control, it began to kill the spontaneity. They were on Ed time - we've all seen in the last dozen or so years how productive he is (i.e., is not!). Instead of taking a week (or a few weeks at most) to record, 1984 is stretched out over about 6-7 months (March/April 83 to Oct 83).

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Before Al was put into the converted Racquetball/drum room...........instrument bleed and space was a huge concern, hence the Simmons drums.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think something goes to pot when you no longer really play in front of a live audience. The clubs are just over the hill from ed and does he ever go down to the Roxy or Whiskey for a sit in jam? Never. He hides in his studio and lives in a bubble and surrounded by people who kiss his ass.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I think something goes to pot when you no longer really play in front of a live audience. The clubs are just over the hill from ed and does he ever go down to the Roxy or Whiskey for a sit in jam? Never. He hides in his studio and lives in a bubble and surrounded by people who kiss his ass.
    Exactly. But, hey, he has new adaptations of The StripesTM (on t-shirts, shoes, etc) to approve.

Always a loner as well - and even in the 70s, VH kept themselves apart from the other bands who played around Hollywood. Partly 'cos they were from Pasadena, but also because they consciously didn't mix. That probably helped them develop their own unqiue style - but now, as you say, Ed's just cut himself off from the lifeblood of music: performance, the audience, etc.

Thing is - he was such a great performer once. Not just playing, but putting on a show.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Full episode (courtesy VHND):

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:videolist:vh1.com:1650836" width="512" height="319" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=id%3D1650836%26uri%3Dmgid% 3Auma%3Avideolist%3Avh1.com%3A1650836%26instance%3 Dfullepisode" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed><div><a style="padding:0px 4px 0px 10px; font-family:Verdana,sans-serif; font-weight:bold; font-size:10px; color:#000000; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.vh1.com/shows/ " onmouseover="this.style.textDecoration='underline' " onmouseout="this.style.textDecoration='none'" target="_blank">VH1 TV Shows</a> | <a style="padding:0px 4px 0px 10px; font-family:Verdana,sans-serif; font-weight:bold; color:#000000; font-size:10px; text-decoration:'none';" href="http://www.vh1.com/video/music.jhtml" onmouseover="this.style.textDecoration='underline' " onmouseout="this.style.textDecoration='none'" target="_blank">Music Videos </a> | <a style="padding:0px 4px 0px 10px; font-family:Verdana,sans-serif; font-weight:bold; color:#000000; font-size:10px; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.vh1.com/photos/ " onmouseover="this.style.textDecoration='underline' " onmouseout="this.style.textDecoration='none'" target="_blank">Celebrity Photos</a> | <a style="padding:0px 4px 0px 10px; font-family:Verdana,sans-serif; font-weight:bold; color:#000000; font-size:10px; text-decoration: none;" href="http://www.vh1.com/news/" onmouseover="this.style.textDecoration='underline' " onmouseout="this.style.textDecoration='none'" target="_blank">News & Gossip</a></div>

Thread Information