Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6534 Amp

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

6534 Amp

I ordered one and it came yesterday. I really like it. It's rounder and warmer than the 6505 and can get that old VH tone better but you still have tons of balls if you want them. It's very friendly with hum bucker guitars but not so good with single coils.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fantastic!~

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    whatwhatwaht... (4:00) Stevens TruSonic speakers!

FWOK! I want to know more right away about this !

Particularly, are they just a "bought-trademark" ie are they Trusonic in name only or design too?

That tone at 4:00 is dead-on the tone I had up till 2003 the rig that got ripped off. I use something totally different now.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This sounds like IMO Peavey's best modern tube amp yet.

Low-end, with a bit of sizzle, but clean highs with alot of clarity and I wonder if the speakers have alot to do with it, or does the head sound similar to the JSX and previous-issue James Brown designed amps of the past when used with a Celestion-loaded cab.

My old cabs had a mix of Celestions for the dirty cabs and Altecs for clean-dirty, multi purpose depending on channel select.

But my mic'd cab had mint, perfect TruSonics - they were an associated company of JBL/Altec until 1961 when purchased by a guy in my town Bob Crooks who ran Standel.

My speakers were vented voice-coils with the gold titanium dustcap, Model SS-120. So fucking heavy I had to re-fit the Marshall straight's teenuts for 6mm, then regrille it.

Makes me wonder if that guy Danny who tried to ressurrect Standel sold out to Peavey. If that's the case.. oh man! Id love to have a wall of brand-new Trusonic 12's.

Next to the Altec 412B-16H (which got a bit honkey-sounding above saturation volume) that set of Stevens/Standel Trusonics really held up.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sounds like some sick shit dude! Bet it cost a pretty penny. I've played a 6505 on half volume and my ears still regret it. I bet this one can kill people...
    Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    These things are expensive. I can't get used to the idea of buying a Peavey for that amount of money.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have been searching and can't find much about the speaker, that's my interest.

The head? It sounds great, "first Peavey amp to incorporate the el34 output tube for a truly British character" DUHH

Geez. 1968 to 2010 its like 40 years since Hendrix's passing 'till they realize they can make an EL34 amp without suffering the slur "Marshall copy."

Even after the EVH association.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post

That tone at 4:00 is dead-on the tone I had up till 2003

Fuck. If I had a set-up that sounded like that, I'd be noodling around on my guitar every spare hour I had.

Sounds great.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Way better than the 5150's. Way better.. I'll learn more about it in January at NAMM if I go.

6L6 tubes = way colder running tube; requires lower voltage and smaller transformers.

That buzzbox made Peavey a lotta money, it had a popular endorsee. This amp is gonna require more maintenance but sounds way better.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    But here at least you can get an equivalent 100W Marshall head second hand for a quarter of the price so I'm a bit cuntfused.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Fuck. If I had a set-up that sounded like that, I'd be noodling around on my guitar every spare hour I had.

Sounds great.
    Sounds great and the guy is playing an Epiphone through it. It just screams with a better guitar. I once played a 5150 converted to EL34's and it sounded flat and dead. I think Peavey did more with the amp than just change the power tubes and they made a special speaker cab for it as well. I'm using mine with a Marshal 1960B cab and it sounds great.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    But here at least you can get an equivalent 100W Marshall head second hand for a quarter of the price so I'm a bit cuntfused.
    Good used Marshalls are expensive here. Also if you have problems with some of the newer ones, the customer service isn't good here. I've had very good luck with Peavey in regard to customer service. Our band is using more and more of their stuff.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenFan5150 View Post
    Sounds like some sick shit dude! Bet it cost a pretty penny. I've played a 6505 on half volume and my ears still regret it. I bet this one can kill people...
    My main gigging amp is a 6505+ and if it's up past half way it's a fucking jet engine at takeoff. I can dime a 100 watt Marshall and it isn't as loud as the 6505+ running a tad under half. I don't know what it is but these are the loudest 100 watt heads I've played through. You are right, these beasts are scary!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I paid $1100 for the amp. I paid $900 for my 6505+ new five years ago. So not a bad price considering the US dollar doesn't buy what it used to. Compare your health care and grocery prices to five years ago.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Way better than the 5150's. Way better.. I'll learn more about it in January at NAMM if I go.

6L6 tubes = way colder running tube; requires lower voltage and smaller transformers.

That buzzbox made Peavey a lotta money, it had a popular endorsee. This amp is gonna require more maintenance but sounds way better.
    The original 5150 is one thing. Balls to the wall. With the right EQ, speakers, and the right guitar you can get some magic happening but the 6534 is a way better amp. We will see on reliability. The 5150 with it's cold bias and 6L6 tubes was a brick shit house as far as reliability. I do have a feeling I better keep some extra EL-34's on hand with the new amp.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, but never throw 'em away. My system is Sharpie it "IN (date) OUT (date)" so that even if the get mixed with other quads on the workbench I can keep a set a set.

What speakers are you running in your B cab?

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The amp is quite good, Ill check it out later.

Right now this is my main interest:

Look at the red, webbed cloth surround, it's of similar design to the Altec 417. However the dustcaps are paper here, not original.

Originally they were 2" titanium dustcaps, which brought out the highs but without the weight of the larger JBL and Altec "C" and ceramic series 2.

The earlier 417 "B" had the smaller diameter dustcap and the Stephens Trusonic sounded very close, with the Trusonic less huffy and abit warmer.

O G-d, if Peavey is doing this speaker right I can do away with my Celestion 30/75 mixed cabs, because it means I can afford them. Great Plains Audio makes the 417-C and their price is prohibitive for the quantity I would use.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, but never throw 'em away. My system is Sharpie it "IN (date) OUT (date)" so that even if the get mixed with other quads on the workbench I can keep a set a set.

What speakers are you running in your B cab?
    Celestian classic 30's. British ones. Not the Chinese ones.

I order my tubes from tubedepot.com The put the bias rating right on the tubes so you can match them or know what to reorder if one particular rated tube sounds good in your amp. In my 6505 the tubes run on the cold side so they last a long time. I also let the amp warm up a good two minutes on stand by before powering up the plates. I also let the amp cool down before moving it. What usually does tubes in is the heating and cooling. I just leave the amp on standby all night if we are gigging during breaks. As soon as the stage is setup I turn the amp on and leave it on all night.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Peavey makes their own speakers. Hartley said he did that because the speaker manufactures in the 1970's weren't making anything that could stand up to the big solid state power amps Peavey was making. They were blowing speakers all the time so Peavey started making their own matching the speaker to the amp.

I have an old 5150 cab with the Sheffield speakers they built to Eddie's specs. They are 25 watt speakers. Later Peavey put in higher rated speakers because people were blowing the EVH Sheffields. Once the Sheffield speakers break in they sound very good. One thing I've noticed with Peavey speakers is you have to break them in and it takes a while. When they are new in the store they don't sound as good as they do after they have been played for awhile. I've never blown a speaker yet. My 5150 cab is made from baltic birch but it weighs a ton. A Marshall cab is ligher and frankly easier to move around. On the higher end amps Peavey does a good job of matching the speakers to the amp.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Power tubes last longer in high gain amps as well. You just aren't driving the power section that hard because most the clipping takes place in the preamp. The 6534 sounds good at all volumes, in fact when I do start clipping the power stage I have to readjust the pre gain and EQ a big but the amp is so fucking loud you just aren't going to crank the master volume past 7. If I do that the singer and drummer start to cry. LOL! My wife won't let the thing in the house because it rattled her doll collection around and one doll got broke. So the amps are in our guest apartment above the barn.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know your amps and cabs, Ive had all-4 V30's in one cab before and I think I'm happier with a pair of 75's added, like the way one selects tweeters for high-range in a stereo.

I was never particular about Vintage 30 speakers back in the 80's when second-hand greenback 25's were plentiful. I avoided 'em.

I've tried most everything Celestion's made since 1968 in a twelve.. and the whole time I've had freinds telling me "there's a REASON most people prefer the top 4 Celestion offers" but I had to learn the hard way because I'm distrustful of specifications and wanted a firsthand learning curve not someone else's.

So last spring I read somewhere George Lynch orders his Randall cabs this way, so I guess I'm in good company.. I knew EVH crossed pairs of 25's and g12H-30s because in 88 or 89 when Roth sold Ed's Diver Down 8x12 Flagg Systems cabs to Guitar Center, we got in there with a screwdriver and found out the truth. So I never felt bad about mixing pairs, but I felt reaffirmed somehow when I read Lynch chose that particular pair.

I can see this new amp doing fine with the V30 if it's really broken-in, or just turned up really loud but then you got that attic.. my guess is once you can play inside a place openly thats 400sq ft or bigger you're gonna really hear what this amp and that cabinet can do and you'll shit yourself past 1/4 volume levels.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    btw I was taught shut-down from a few amp techs was the right way to do it, your way.

Their theory is, you give the filter caps a chance to dissipate instead of hard shutdown which they say risks over-capacity peaking that can cause micro-pilferations of the mylar/electrolytic paste barriers which may or may not shorten it's life.

Tubes aren't affected, Ken Bran and Jim Marshall told me that.. though I feel because they couldn't explain "why" they might be incorrect. Jim told me "doesn't matter one way OR the other, if you want to hit standby before shutdown it won't help or hurt anything. The standby is there to prevent cathode stripping from cold start operation letting 'em warm up you see."

So regardless of possible tube or caps shock from hard shutdown, I also rely upon advice from a few pro players who say: when you shut off, just hit both switches simultaneous. Yeah, I hear a low "klunk!" when the final stored energy hits the speakers, but I figure that's what the 1amp fuse is for. I mean, that slight pop is nothing compared to the way the speaker jumps from a Hush-silenced stillness to a full chord roar. Nothing at all like it.

So that's why I hit both Standby and Power at the same time, but only Power on first for a minute before doing Standby.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I paid $1100 for the amp. I paid $900 for my 6505+ new five years ago. So not a bad price considering the US dollar doesn't buy what it used to. Compare your health care and grocery prices to five years ago.
    That's weird - the cheapest price I can find for it new here is $2245???!!!

Lets set up an import/export company...

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow, hows that 75% VAT doing for you?

I mean 2 percent. You see, it all started one day with a vote, "VAT taxes will be so small, just 2 percent." but they always grow beyond scale.

After the vote, that's the next shoe to drop over here - thanks for bringing it up.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The top rate is 17.5% just now so 7% higher than your sales tax.

A lot of stuff like food, energy, books, stuff for kids is 0%.

An amp would be 17.5% plus there would be import duties but it's still weird.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-31-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sesh, have you checked out Thomann?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6534_head.htm
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That was the first place I looked - your link shows £1400 GBP which is where I got the $2245 figure according to the current exchange rate.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's weird - the cheapest price I can find for it new here is $2245???!!!

Lets set up an import/export company...
    Wow. I know Peavey has a whole European division based in the UK. They own Trace Elliot. It might be that an import tariff is being slapped on it because the 6534 is made in the USA. Marshalls have always been really expensive here. It's kind of the same deal. I did visit the Marshall factory last time I was in the UK. It's still family owned and a pretty interesting place.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I believe it was either Musican's Friend or American Music Supply who listed it for about $1145

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It might be worthy to note I bought the amp mail-order from another state and on such transactions there is no sales tax at all. So I paid 0% tax on the amp. You only get charged state sales tax if you purchase within that state so it's a good deal. I'm sure we will be seeing the end to that given the greediness of our current administration. More of that change he keeps talking about as he burns through trillions of dollars.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenFan5150 View Post
    I believe it was either Musican's Friend or American Music Supply who listed it for about $1145
    Yeah. I order from Musician's Friend. It shipped out of Kansas City.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's nice is there is a really great music store in Idaho Falls which is not too far from here and they have a Peavey factory trained technician on site. He does guitar and amp repair work and is really good. So if you do have a problem or need a bias adjustment you just drop it off instead of sending it off to who knows where.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's nice as well is they will loan you an amp to use if yours is in the shop being fixed. We have a lot of bars and resorts around here and we have lots of musicians in this area. We get pretty big names like BB King, Toby Kieth, Hank Williams Jr. coming through all the time. I lived in a bigger city and the music shops sucked actually. Pretty much big box store stuff.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We have a Sam Ash here, another one in Tampa, then there are two Guitar Centers in the same area and another in Ft. Myers.... But there are also several small mom and pop music stores within a few minute's drive

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That was the first place I looked - your link shows £1400 GBP which is where I got the $2245 figure according to the current exchange rate.
    Silly me...

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    More of that change he keeps talking about as he burns through trillions of dollars.
    Just as it is on the street, so in the White House: get a wog in there on the payroll next thing you know you're dealing with 200 unnecessary employment applications and twice as many soft, lazy hands out flat for more of what you worked hard for.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just as it is on the street, so in the White House: get a wog in there on the payroll next thing you know you're dealing with 200 unnecessary employment applications and twice as many soft, lazy hands out flat for more of what you worked hard for.
    Don't forget to vote Nov. 2. Only 20% of the eligible public do in this country. Don't vote for a party, go get a sample ballot and check each candidate out and vote for the least evil. Then get active in you local politics. If everyone did this things would get better.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow. I know Peavey has a whole European division based in the UK. They own Trace Elliot. It might be that an import tariff is being slapped on it because the 6534 is made in the USA. Marshalls have always been really expensive here. It's kind of the same deal. I did visit the Marshall factory last time I was in the UK. It's still family owned and a pretty interesting place.
    Looking at the price in Euro's I think it's also partly due to our exchange rate being a bit shitty at the moment.

I have a natural distrust of Peavey that I'll need to get over which was brought on by the misery of dozens of times having to try and get a good sound out of Peavey Bandits in various rehearsal studios and borrowed backlines back 20 years ago when they were standard issue here for some reason.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gar's gargle is right about the speakers...

Thread Information