Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GAR
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

One thing it lacks, is a good sparkly-clean sound from what I gathered off the video.

Is that not the case? It has a clean sound sure, but it's not close enough to a classic Fender clean is it...

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by GAR
      One thing it lacks, is a good sparkly-clean sound from what I gathered off the video.

Is that not the case? It has a clean sound sure, but it's not close enough to a classic Fender clean is it...
      It's kind of like a Marshall. It can go clean, it can sound beautiful clean but it's no classic Fender. I might have to plug it into an open back cab with some different speakers and see what it sounds like. Even with a good clean amp they don't sound the best through a closed back 4x12.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

EL34's were designed to provide greater gain than the 6L6 at the time, but that inherent soft harmonic distortion characteristic paired with Celestion speakers means you're not going to do much better than a JMP-type amp when it's dialed down in gain and volume and everything else.

Then again, if you're main focus is benchmarking as close to the first 6 VH albums anyways, you're probably not focused on clean to begin with. You can get clean in many type of amps, solid-state or tube.. but it's way more difficult to get a refined dark distortion with good overtones such as this amp. This may be a winner for Peavey.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

My Fender amps retain the classic clean tone plugged into any cabinet...

It's not the speakers...

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by GAR
            EL34's were designed to provide greater gain than the 6L6 at the time, but that inherent soft harmonic distortion characteristic paired with Celestion speakers means you're not going to do much better than a JMP-type amp when it's dialed down in gain and volume and everything else.

Then again, if you're main focus is benchmarking as close to the first 6 VH albums anyways, you're probably not focused on clean to begin with. You can get clean in many type of amps, solid-state or tube.. but it's way more difficult to get a refined dark distortion with good overtones such as this amp. This may be a winner for Peavey.
            Actually neither the EL-34 or 6L6 were designed to clip. That isn't what the engineers at Phillips had in mind at all. The EL-34 was designed to be an inexpensive consumer grade tube that took up less space than a 6L6 but put out the same power. What happened was amp builders like Leo Fender followed the basic RCA schematics for the power amp but made up their own preamp which tended to overload the power amp early. When guitars players would turn up past half they would get some dirt. Then Ken Bran at Marshall copied Fender's fucked up circuit with British parts and a magical mistake happened. Actually making a distortion free tube amp was expensive. McIntosh Labs made tube amps that would go full volume with no distortion but they were far from cheap. In the old days they didn't want distortion because it was the sign of a cheap amp and transformers.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
              My Fender amps retain the classic clean tone plugged into any cabinet...

It's not the speakers...
              Really? I have a Bassman copy and the speakers make a huge difference. Especially, turning it up into a sealed cab, all the sparkly brilliance goes to shit.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Actually Ken Bran copied a fucked up preamp design and fucked it up more by making a signal splitter that resulted in crossover distortion. Put a Marshall on an ocilliscope and you will see a little ridge on the sin wave. A Fender won't have this unless the bias current set too low. You can dial it out on a Fender but you can't on a Marshall. It's part of the Marshall sound and they do it on purpose but originally it was a Ken Bran fuckup.

The amps the British technically go right were the Hi Watt amps. No mistakes in those and the original ones were beautifully wired. But electric guitar is all about fucking up in a good way.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

I never play a clean amp anyways. What I like about Soldanos or the Peavey 6505 o 6534 is I can dial in my classic amp distortion sound and clean it up with the volume knob on the guitar. I don't switch channels to go to clean. I use the high gain channel as a boost. 99% of the time I'm in the crunch channel and I do tend and that's a combination of pre-amp to power-amp ratios.

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    The top rate is 17.5% just now so 7% higher than your sales tax.

A lot of stuff like food, energy, books, stuff for kids is 0%.

An amp would be 17.5% plus there would be import duties but it's still weird.
                    Import duty from China to California for fully-assembled guitars is 5.5%, if you have the necks off 'em you save 1/2%.

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      I can dial in my classic amp distortion sound and clean it up with the volume knob on the guitar.
                      That's the way it ought to be!

Comment

• Coyote
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VanHalenFan5150
                        But Marshall isn't a letdown when it comes to signature amps, you see. Not only that, but they are one of the most trusted names in the business...
                        Although, a Laney will eat one for breakfast.
                        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                          Although, a Laney will eat one for breakfast.
                          As will a Mesa Mark anything... (Rectos don't count....lol) My Mark III's middle and lead channels still clean up with the volume knob (to varying degrees of course) and you still have the option of the pristine Fender-esque clean channel.
                          Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Coyote is absolutely correct!

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              Really? I have a Bassman copy and the speakers make a huge difference. Especially, turning it up into a sealed cab, all the sparkly brilliance goes to shit.
                              The speakers may muffle the high end a bit and break up at high volume but the clean output signal stays the same...

A Bassman isn't known for sparkling highs like a Twin is, rather they break up early and have nice lows and mids...

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2004

I'll take a Fender Deluxe any day over a Twin. Have yet to play through one I like...
                                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

Working...