Thread: Conan's new show

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Conan's new show

Boy they sure promo'd the hell out of it.
    I saw parts of the first one and I thought he was hilarious.

Yes there are many late night shows out there and I watch none of them. I know a lot here aren't George Lopez fans. I don't feel much for most of them either way, but I'd love to see Leno get blown off the air by one of them just from NBC's BS with Conan.

anyone glad Conan's back?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i DVR'ed the first show but haven't watched it yet. watched the first half-hour last night and tonight and they were pretty good.

wasn't a regular viewer before and i don't think i will be now, but i think he'll be okay on "basic cable." if the show is good and gets a good buzz the fans will find it.

i find Lopez unwatchable. he doesn't have to remind us he's Latino every twenty minutes.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I quit watching the late night shows about 10 years ago. Back then it was all Letterman, but he has become predictable, stale, and very politically biased. Always HATED Leno though. Only thing he ever did that was funny was Monday nights Headlines segment. But after the shit that went down with Conan, I hope Conan does really well. Problem is he is up against John Stewart. And Stewart is really coming into his own as a great host.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I quit watching the late night shows about 10 years ago. Back then it was all Letterman, but he has become predictable, stale, and very politically biased. Always HATED Leno though. Only thing he ever did that was funny was Monday nights Headlines segment. But after the shit that went down with Conan, I hope Conan does really well. Problem is he is up against John Stewart. And Stewart is really coming into his own as a great host.
    Sometime in the mid-1990s, Bill Carter put out a very revealing book called "The Late Shift: Letterman, Leno, and the Network Battle for the Night". It revealed the mechanics behind what goes on behind the scenes of network tv, and Jay Leno came off as a clueless, attention-driven oddball. It's unlikely that things have changed, yet you have to wonder just how much of a network pawn he was in this latest shake-up. Carter has released a follow up book dealing with the current absurdities of late night tv, called "The War for Late Night: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy", which was released this past Monday, the day Conan's show went on the air.

To me, Letterman was a cool diversion when he hosted his show after Carson in the eighties when I was staying up all night attending college. The move to CBS changed all that. Out went the quirky guests, and in came showbiz. Coincidentally, I lost just about all interest in late night tv at around the same time. Then again, I'd more or less moved on to a different lifestyle, one full of a bit more responsibility, so the nights of staying up all night (or at least staying up past 11PM) were pretty much gone forever or postponed to occasional weekends.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My cousin has done quite a bit of work for Jay Leno. His expertice is rebuilding aircraft engines but does custom castings and machining. I guess Jay Leno is involved in a lot of things besides just the Tonight Show and actually asked to be let out of his contract. NBC refused. If he quit, NBC could sue him and even though he's a rich man, you are going up against a large corporation where you have to hire lawyers out of your own pocket. I doubt Jaw would relocate for another television job, his passion is his garage which is in Burbank and he's invested a fortune into it. He's planning on staying in LA. When Conan wasn't working out, he took his old job back because he could. NBC told Leno, Conan was taking over and Jaw was willing to be the lead in and it failed. It's important to point out Conan and Leno are just employees, NBC calls the shots and it's their fuckup. For the pay Leno is getting, most people would do the same thing. When Leno is no longer a marketable television personality, he will just go to his garage and work on old cars which is his passion. Johnny Carson wanted to quit but the money was just too good for the amount of work.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As far as Conan goes, I wish him well. Maybe he will put together another interesting format of a show at TBS. Maybe this will work out for the better.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't watch any of those Late Night Shows. Leno is more interesting when he talks cars. Instead of buying cars and hiding them in his collection he buys them and restores them to running condition and drives them on the road so people can appreciate them. He also is a huge supporter in bringing American jobs back. He encourages those who have classic cars to get them running again and my cousin has gotten a lot of business from Jay Leno references. We have a lot of great car part fabricators in the US and it's guys like Jay who help keep them going. I inherited my dad's Model T and drive it regularly. I noticed Jay is in the Model T club but didn't know he drove the things to work. I agree. Reliable old cars.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6g1fBt1e-tI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6g1fBt1e-tI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thread Information