• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guitar Shark
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
    Post of the month!
    Gotta chime in on why the Mods haven't banned the piss drinking, shit smearer.
    He has been banned, you silly Canuck...
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

Lets move on.....

he's FLUSHED...........

GEAR STREET can get back to talking about GEAR....pros & cons......all opinions welcome......

Comment

• Blaze
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Gar's been banned?
        Praise of freaking praise!

aweee... Jeeez... Mean there is reason to visit regularly again? Maybe, even post real stuff? And like say real things again?

Makes me feel .. oh the thought... make me feel soft warm and sweet.... I hope this is true and I am not just mis-reading....

I might even, starting watching for good Journals Entries again..... sniff, sniff...Don't mind me. It is just allergies... Anyone have a clean hankie?
        "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
        sigpic

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Recording content!!!

Speaking of back on topic, there's a "How to get Dime's tone" (for home recording) on Gibson.com of all places...

(Gotta figure there's similar set-ups possible in PODfarm and Amplitude as well)

Since Pantera first burst onto the scene, Dimebag had an unmistakable guitar tone. His early work on Cowboys from Hell propelled Dime and the rest of the group into superstardom, where they would stay for almost 20 years.

Unlike guitarists like Zakk Wylde who haven’t changed gear that much over the years, Dime made several changes. He started off using Washburn guitars, later switching to the Dean guitars that many new fans have come to recognize.

Dime also used a collection of Randall amps throughout his career that included the Warhead and the X2 Warhead. In 2004, Dime made another big change in his gear when he switched to Krank amps.

For much of his career Dime used a Furman parametric equalizer, an MXR Flanger, and a Wah pedal―in his later years he used his signature Crybaby from Hell Wah from Jim Dunlop. Of course, Dunlop also made the MXR Dime Distortion, rounding out the tone that made Dime’s playing so famous.

I am going to use Native Instruments’ Guitar Rig to build a preset to play Dime’s early Pantera songs. (Don’t have Guitar Rig at home? Click on the contest link at the bottom of this page, and you may win virtual amp and cab emulation from Native Instruments’ Guitar Rig—and a Les Paul Traditional, to boot!) Of course, you may have to make some adjustments depending on the guitar you are using.

I don’t often use a Parametric Equalizer in my guitar tones, but we are going to use one this time. Insert the EQ below the amp and cabinet and use the preset called Presence Boost―this will give the tone a little pop at 3k.

For the amp, I decided to use the Instant Gratifier using the Raw setting. Put the Master on 8.5; Gain = 9; Bass = 8; Mid = 6.5; Treble = 9; and Presence = 9.5. The cabinet should have the mic setting at 90 percent and a full dry setting on the bottom.
          I put a Flanger in right after the amp, so you can pound away with “Cowboys from Hell.” I use a relatively low Flanger setting, but with the rest of the gear, it comes out just fine. Drop the speed to -2; Intensity = 1.5; and Width =2.

The last module we are going to insert is the Demon Distortion―kind of fitting for Dime, I think. I have Volume = 4.5; Bass = 5; Mid = 8; Treble = 7, and Gain = 7. You want to play with the Gain and Volume settings to achieve the sound you’re looking for depending on what Dime song you are playing.

Don’t forget to turn on the Noise Gate, especially if you’re using a high-gain guitar with active pickups. If not, your ears will be begging for mercy when you stop playing!

Here's a seemingly pretty decently done fan page outline of his gear over the years...

Last edited by jhale667; 11-19-2010, 01:07 AM. Reason: Oops
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2004

Great find bro.

Dime new exactly what he wanted, and he new how to get it. Starting at "BRUTAL" and go from there....
            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I saw the Doobie Brothers around 1978. One of the guitarists had one of those Dean guitars. I thought it was cool at the time. I really wanted one. When Dime was playing them, they were dated guitars and nobody wanted them. He really did do his own thing. He played an old Dean guitar through a solid state amp when everyone wanted Kramers and Marshalls.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                He played an old Dean guitar through a solid state amp when everyone wanted Kramers and Marshalls.
                that's the thing, bro. find your unique thing you like, and damn the torpedoes! i also read many times how he won some of that gear in contests, and decided

he really liked it. like many of us here, my early gear choices were fiscally based

ibanez roadstar and crappy acetone 100w solid state, boss ds1. beautiful!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

I saw Pantera once on the Vulgar Display Of Power tour in a 2,000 seat ballroom.
                  Just as with other late guitar heros (like Randy Rhodes and Stevie Ray) I count myself fortunate to have seen him one time.

To this day, watching live concert footage of Dime is like watching a large bomb going off.

Absolutely amazing.

And I always thought the Pantera Home Videos were fucking hilarious.

Only thing about watching them now is I have to watch asshole Phil in them. But oh well this thread is not about him.

It's about Dime.

By the way, this is one of my fave shots of Darrell:

Last edited by Hardrock69; 11-20-2010, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Working...