Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up The Randy Rhoads Legacy

According to his siblings, Kathy and Kelly

It's too long to repost the whole thing here, but there's a two-part article that popped up on Gibson.com, Pt II that's pretty cool, and has some (new-ish) VH content. Of particular interest is Kelly's assertion as to the rumored EVH/Rhoads "competition" - there was none. There was only mutual respect. Also confirmed is something I've always heard from those in the know, they both looked up to George Lynch.

The Gibson Interview: The Randy Rhoads Family
    by Michael Wright

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...s-family-1011/

On March 19, 1982, a horrible tragedy struck the rock world. Randy Rhoads, the trail- (and fret!) blazing guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne, died in an airplane crash in Leesburg, Florida. For the music world, it was the loss of a unique and virtuosic talent. For the Rhoads family in North Hollywood, California, the loss was much more personal. Randy was the baby of the family: beloved son to his mother Delores (serenaded as “Dee” on the Blizzard of Ozz album) and kid brother to elder brother Kelly and sister Kathy.

The Rhoads family were — and are — a tight-knit bunch. For the past 28 years, even as they have thrived with the family music school, Kelly’s own musical pursuits and Kathy’s successful vineyard, they have always dedicated time, attention and love to Randy’s legacy. With Gibson paying tribute to Randy Rhoads this week with the release of the Randy Rhoads Les Paul Custom, Gibson.com sat down with Kelly and Kathy to talk about Randy’s life and that ever-growing legacy.

What was the age separation between the three of you?

Kelly: I am the eldest and Kathy is the middle child and Randy was the baby.

What was your household like growing up? I presume it was very musical.

Both: Yes, it was.

Kathy: We had no stereo, believe it or not.

Kelly: We didn’t have a record player because my mom wouldn’t buy us one.

Kathy: Everybody played their own music around our house.

Kelly: We had to do our own; we were our own record player.

You can read the rest of the background stuff there, but here's one cool VH (and Lynch)-relevant bit, picked up right around the VH/Quiet Riot pre-signing mid-70s club era:

Were they a pretty good band right from the start, or did it take a little bit of work to sort of move it into place? Or was it like lightning in a bottle right away?

Kelly: Certainly not that. They got better. It’s just that that was a power pop band. Even when they got management, they got molded into form. What the management wanted was to create another Sweet. They wanted another band like The Sweet, and Randy and Kelly, especially when Randy and I played together, we were into hard, heavy rock like Sabbath type of stuff. Ironically, Randy didn’t like Black Sabbath at all. I was the Sabbath fan. In fact, that was the first question I asked him after his first audition. "Did you see those letters on his hand that say ‘OZZY’?" And Randy goes, "Yeah!" I said, "Did you crack up?" And Randy goes, "Yeah!" He didn’t like Sabbath, but I did.

Was he doing stuff – like with finger-tapping – before Van Halen came out?

Kelly: Yeah.

Was it a little disappointing for him to have someone else kind of...

Kelly: No. And that’s something I’m glad you brought up. A lot of people try to invent this competition. Randy thought Eddie was a good player. He thought he was really good, and he liked him. He wasn’t like in any kind of competition or contest with him at all.

Kathy: He always thought Eddie had his own style, and Randy thought he had his own style, and he didn’t think it was fair to compare them because he thought they were different and unique within themselves.

Kelly: If you asked Randy back then who the hot guitar player in L.A. was, he wouldn’t have said himself or Eddie. He would have said George Lynch. Randy really looked up to him. He thought he had a tremendous amount of talent.

George Lynch is a heck of a player. Yeah, that’s true – I had forgotten he was part of that scene as well.

Kelly: Randy really liked him, and if you asked Randy what guitar player in this town is really hot, the first thing he would say was George Lynch. When he left to go play with Ozzy, George Lynch took over his students at Musonia.

If anything can be said of Rhoads' legacy, it is that even today he is held in nearly if-not equal reverence as Edward Van Halen among guitarists despite a fraction of the recorded output, and that ain't a bad thing.

Last edited by jhale667; 11-13-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gibson's like 30 years late coming to the guitar party here in Los Angeles.. and now they're promoting another companies' endorsees?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I suppose this is news to someone...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    I suppose this is news to someone...
    Was there supposed to be a "discuss (preferably someone/thing other than GAyR)"blurb literally stated at the bottom of the post, or wasn't it just implied anyway...

I mean, I guess that almost counts, but c'mon!

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why did Randy bone Sharon?

he needed the money

OH !

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    See, Thrills of a few things we can be certain. Rhoads ruled, and there will always be guitars, and music, and comedy. Rhoads ruling isn't particularly funny, just a great achievement which shows not always at the same time.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At some point, you just realize with Rhoads there's just tragedy everywhere you look, I gave up the Randy banner back in '86, and got reimmersed a short time again about a year later when the Live album came out.

It's tragic: that the Osbournes weren't on that plane.
    It's tragic: to see Sharon concede she forced him to a screw.
    It's tragic: reading what Sarzo said about how they abused Randy.
    It's tragic: a guy spends half a lifetime developing and expanding an original style only to never have benefited of it.
    It's tragic: to see a 16-year-old play riffs to Over The Mountain and say "isn't Zakk's style is awesome?"
    It's tragic: to hear Delores lives in the same house all these years, where's all the millions in royalties?

It's just hard to stomach all this. Wasn't someone gonna set the ugly record straight in a full-scale movie?

It's so upsetting, nobody really wants to talk about it when Randys' work deserves a little fair admiration aside from the surrounding issues even in this late date.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Everywhere you look, I guess so. Especially if the 16-year old you're referring to is Gus G? (Oh, snap!) Peter Margolis' film may or may not ever see the light of day. Might or might it not be a tragedy if it did, supposedly that's the issue of contention since last I heard IIRC the music was licensed, the O.G. tracks not the new rhythm-section abortion remixes? Who knows?

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Randy won't be forgotten, but the whole deal's a sad affair and for Gibson to try dipping their appendage in the RR legacy like this 30 years later, they can fuck off.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not to mention the fact that Randy's Quiet Riot material remains unavailable (aside from that one disc mutation that DuBrow put out, which was only slightly less blasphemous than Sharon's butchery of Blizzard and Diary. At least THAT evil deed was finally undone.)

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Not to mention the fact that Randy's Quiet Riot material remains unavailable (aside from that one disc mutation that DuBrow put out, which was only slightly less blasphemous than Sharon's butchery of Blizzard and Diary. At least THAT evil deed was finally undone.)

Hmm... while there are certain levels of blasphemy it's true, I don't consider merely re-amping the original guitar tracks (via Carlos' favorite nearly-correct to Rhoads' Ozzy-era Marshalls apparently with his guitar-sound input - as opposed to just KD's , while keeping the original Rhoads guitar and band tracks) and re-doing some vocals on the same level as what Sharon did. But tend to agree in both cases they might not have bothered, since at least in the Ozzy case NO ONE was really ever interested in hearing it.

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    With media consolidation shrinkng all the time, and all radio programming basically done in NYC you'd have to have been under a rock the last 5 years to not have heard enough Ozzy to not hold any interest in hearing any more for decades.

Driving across country it's almost like the same contiguous radio station pulsing the same playlist, nearly everyday in your car. I could do well with not having to hear any more Ozzy for the rest of my life.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We could do well without ever seeing you on these boards. ever again!
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Live Solo video from a Quiet Riot show at the Starwood in 1979...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    When the hell are the reissue's and dvd collection they were talking about coming out ??

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Wink Well, if we're to take Ozzy('s people) at his (their) word...

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    When the hell are the reissue's and dvd collection they were talking about coming out ??
    Hmm...you'd think if it was going to be out in time for holiday shopping there'd be some media about it...kinda sounded like it originally from Ozzy's Twitter and Black-Sabbath.com

That's from January...so if it's gonna be "this year", Ozzy? Hurry. Up.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Apparently the restored reissues have been delayed until 2011 but it seems they HAVE leaked a couple of pics from the DVD footage...

http://themetalden.com/index.php?p=17074

Weird thing...those pics are clearly from the DOAM tour since you can see the castle set...thought the footage came from the BOO tour? Ah, who cares, if it's live Rhoads footage we've never seen!!

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damn I wish they would release this for Christmas. ( < That's a religious holiday jhale where people give presents to each other).

I hope 2011 doesn't change to 2012 or never...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    ( < That's a religious holiday jhale where people give presents to each other).
    Really? Never heard of it.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This was on Blabbermouth today. It's kinda hard to watch cause Zloz is such a fart head.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Apparently the restored reissues have been delayed until 2011 but it seems they HAVE leaked a couple of pics from the DVD footage...

http://themetalden.com/index.php?p=17074

Weird thing...those pics are clearly from the DOAM tour since you can see the castle set...thought the footage came from the BOO tour? Ah, who cares, if it's live Rhoads footage we've never seen!!
    Sweet mother of fuck!!!

AWESOME!!!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    This was on Blabbermouth today. It's kinda hard to watch cause Zloz is such a fart head.

Zloz, is a pretty cool guy. He's simply (in his mind, a rock star with a camera)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Sweet mother of fuck!!!

AWESOME!!!
    Agreed !!! Release that fucker !!!!!!!!!!!!!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The truth behind the new stills of Randy footage... Click...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The truth behind the new stills of Randy footage... Click...
    Wow! Huge bummer if that footage doesn't surface.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Big time....

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post

If anything can be said of Rhoads' legacy, it is that even today he is held in nearly if-not equal reverence as Edward Van Halen among guitarists despite a fraction of the recorded output, and that ain't a bad thing.

I don't mean this to be disrespectful to Randy, his family, fans or friends...but him dying when he did may have been one of the best things to happen to Eddie Van Halen. I've thought this for many, many years now.

To me, EVH is the greatest ever. But what if?
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    big call man. i think had he lived there would've been room for both of 'em. completely different sounds.
    and ozzy would've flamed out anyway.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I don't mean this to be disrespectful to Randy, his family, fans or friends...but him dying when he did may have been one of the best things to happen to Eddie Van Halen. I've thought this for many, many years now.

To me, EVH is the greatest ever. But what if?

I think Randy would have done as everyone claims he was planning, and stopped touring at least for a bit. Probably would've gotten his degree and come up with something that would have completely blown our minds. I don't think he would have completely eclipsed EVH, but definitely might have diminished his stature somewhat. However, I don't think Yngwie would have been considered nearly as revolutionary, or have gained as much prominence as he did, since Randy was his true precursor in the "Neoclassical Shred" realm more so than Uli Roth or Ritchie Blackmore IMO.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Who is Randy Rhoads? Is that Kelle's brother?

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Zloz, is a pretty cool guy. He's simply (in his mind, a rock star with a camera)
    His wife is hot!!
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 11-23-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Eat Me

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm lost. Didn't Ozzy say he had live footage he was going too release ?? Even if these photo's are not from it.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    I'm lost. Didn't Ozzy say he had live footage he was going too release ?? Even if these photo's are not from it.
    Supposedly...guess we'll see...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rhoads' 54th Birthday BUMP... Happy Birthday Mr. Rhoads... RIP.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Randall William "Randy" Rhoads: Thanks for your serious attention to your craft. You have been missed.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 12-06-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: *Pours one out on the curb for Randy.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a waste !! 54 just sounds like your'e getting started. Think of all the time he's missed. RIP

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up Rock.

Just because.

http://www.gear-vault.com/marshall-1...ar-amp-review/

Marshall 1959RR Randy Rhoads Guitar Amplifier Review
    December 13, 2010 by Ian Fraser

THE HOT-RODDED Marshall phenomenon thаt ѕtаrtеd іn thе Eighties саn bе attributed mainly tο two players: Eddie Van Halen аnd Randy Rhoads. Ironically, Eddie’s original amp wasn’t modified аt аll, whіlе thе modifications tο Randy’s amps wеrе long rumored hut never confirmed. Bесаυѕе Randy’s amps wеrе returned tο hіѕ family аnd locked tip іn a vault аftеr hіѕ death іn 1982, details οf thе modifications remained a mystery until recently.

Working wіth thе аѕѕіѕtаnсе οf Randy’s mother Delores аnd brother Kelle, Marshall finally gained access tο Rhoads’ legendary white Marshall amp head. Marshall investigated еνеrу minute detail, including thе cascaded input modification thаt wаѕ performed аt thе Marshall factory іn 1980 whеn Rhoads custom-ordered two white Marshall stacks. Aѕ a result Marshall јυѕt released thе limited-edition 1959RR Randy Rhoads Signature Series Super Lead 100-Watt head, аn exact duplicate οf thе 1980 Marshall JMP 1959 Super Lead MKII 100-watt head thаt Randy used onstage wіth Ozzy аnd οn thе recordings οf Blizzard οf Ozz аnd Diary οf a Madman.
    FEATURES

ALTHOUGH MARSHALL HAD bееn mаkіng amps wіth master volume controls ѕіnсе 1975, Rhoads preferred thе original Non-Master 100-watt 1959 Super Lead model wіth four inputs, whісh Marshall mаdе until 1981, whеn іt wаѕ replaced bу thе 1959 JCM800. Thе 1959RR іѕ a two-channel 100-watt head powered bу a quartet οf EL34 tubes (јυѕt lіkе Randy’s U.K.-built original) wіth volume controls fοr each channel аnd a single set οf presence, treble, mid аnd bass controls shared bу both channels.

Thе modification cascades both halves οf thе first ECC83 tube (a.k.a., 12AX7) іn thе preamp circuit, feeding thе output frοm thе first stage іntο thе second stage’s input instead οf using each half separately аѕ аn input buffer fοr each channel. Thіѕ allows thе volume I knob tο function lіkе a master volume whіlе thе volume II knob operates lіkе gain control whеn a guitar іѕ plugged іntο thе channel II inputs, producing much more preamp gain аnd saturated distortion thаn a stock 1959 Super Lead head. If уου prefer thе stock Super Lead sound, plug іntο thе channel I inputs, whісh aren’t affected bу thе cascade modification.

Lіkе аn original 1959 Super Lead head, thе 1959RR’s rear panel іѕ аbουt аѕ sparse аt іt gets. Thеrе аrе two speaker output jacks, аn output impedance selector switch wіth 4-, 8- аnd 16-ohm settings аnd a mains selector switch thаt lets уου select 120 volts (U.S.) οr 220 volts (U.K., Europe) input voltage.

Wіth іtѕ white “elephant” vinyl covering, black Marshall logo, white piping аnd black corner protectors, thе 1959RR looks аlmοѕt identical tο Randy’s original amp аѕ well. Thе οnlу details missing аrе thе ring frοm a саn οf Coke thаt Randy set οn thе amp, a few stray pieces οf duct tape аnd general wear аnd tear.
    PERFORMANCE

RANDY’S ORIGINAL MARSHALL 4×12 cabinets wеrе loaded wіth 100-watt Altec Lansing 417-8H speakers, whісh аrе nο longer mаdе аnd аrе very hard tο find. Instead, I tested thе 1959RR through a Marshall 4×12 loaded wіth G12T75 speakers, whісh provides similar resistance tο speaker distortion аnd retains tight, focused sound аt high volume levels. I аlѕο brοkе out mу original 1981 MXR Distortion+ аnd vintage Seventies Crу Baby wah pedal tο duplicate thе primary tone-shaping elements οf Randy’s custom pedal board. Test guitars included a Les Paul Custom wіth stock Gibson humbuckers аnd a Seventies Ibanez Rocket Roll Sr. wіth vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion humbuckers.

Lіkе mοѕt non-master 100-watt Marshalls, thе 1959RR head іѕ very loud, even аt thе lowest possible volume setting. Channel II іѕ especially over thе top, аnd bу thе time уου dial іn thе sweet spot, around 6, іtѕ loud enough tο kіll small birds, thе elderly аnd sensitive squirrels. Unless уου’re playing thе Forum, уου’ll need аn attenuator lіkе thе THD Hot Plate tο еnјοу thіѕ amp аt more-civilized volume levels.

I achieved thе mοѕt ассυrаtе duplications οf Randy’s Blizzard rhythm tones οn channel II wіth both volume controls dialed tο 6, thе bass turned down, thе midrange cranked tip аnd thе treble аnd presence tweaked аbουt midway tο provide thе rіght amount οf sizzle. Thе outstanding manual, writ- ten bу GW contributor Nick Bowcott, shows a similar setting thаt Randy apparently preferred.

Randy’s Diary lead tones emerged both through channel I using a combination οf thе Distortion+ аnd wah pedals tο duplicate hіѕ boxy midrange аnd through channel II using јυѕt thе wah. Thе cascaded gain mod produces lively “crushed glass” distortion wіth sparkling treble harmonics—аn elusive bυt highly desirable classic Marshall tone. Thе Distortion+ really isn’t necessary οn thе channel II inputs аѕ thе cascade mod provides аll thе gain аnd gnarly crunch уου сουld want fοr classic Eighties metal tones.
    THE BOTTOM LINE

LIKE MARSHALL’S OTHER signature series amps, thе 1959RR isn’t cheap, hut іn thіѕ day аnd age handwired quality аnd premium vintage-style раrtѕ don’t come cheap. If уου’re a Randy Rhoads fan аnd want tο duplicate hіѕ tone tο thе closest detail, thе 1959RR іѕ аn essential рυrсhаѕе (sorry wе саn’t hеlр уου wіth those Altec speakers, though). Thе amp іѕ аlѕο grеаt fοr anyone whο саn afford thе bіg bucks аnd wаntѕ аn amp thаt саn deliver lively, “Plexi”-style crunch аnd aggressive Eighties Marshall crush іn thе same package. Source: marshallamps.com

Last edited by jhale667; 12-14-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Forgot the link...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was kind of surprised Delores is still going.

Just looked it up and she will be 91 in March.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I was kind of surprised Delores is still going.

Just looked it up and she will be 91 in March.
    Yeah, there's two more parts to that Zloz Hour interview where they mention she was the first female to be allowed first-chair status in the UCLA band...very cool quote about someone saying to her "Women can't play first chair" and Delores responding "Women couldn't vote in 1919, but they could in 1920..." sounds like she's a pistol...

Thread Information