Thread: Donovan McNabb Signs A Deal Worth HOW MUCH?!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Donovan McNabb Signs A Deal Worth HOW MUCH?!

The Roth Army is home to some of the most astute football fans it has ever been my pleasure to know. Having said that, does anyone here wanna take a crack at explaining this move?

Redskins agree to 5-year, $78 million contract extension with 34 Yr. Old Donovan McNabb

Chuck Schilken LA TIMES

Donovan McNabb may be having his worst season since his rookie year and he may have been benched in favor of Rex Grossman, of all people, but it now appears McNabb will be the Washington Redskins' quarterback for a long time.

McNabb has agreed to a five-year, $78-million contract extension with the Redskins, with $40 million guaranteed, according to his agent, Fletcher Smith.

ESPN was the first to report the deal Monday morning.

McNabb was benched late in the Redskins' Oct. 31 loss to the Detroit Lions, with Coach Mike Shanahan offering a variety of reasons for the move. Smith said the benching had nothing to do with the negotiations and that McNabb is “happy to be a Redskin.”

The 34-year-old McNabb has a passer rating of 76.0, his lowest since 1999.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The Roth Army is home to some of the most astute football fans it has ever been my pleasure to know. Having said that, does anyone here wanna take a crack at explaining this move?
    Maybe crack was involved?
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_R View Post
    Maybe crack was involved?
    Bob, about the only thing that makes any sort of sense to me is that this is a face-saving PR move by ownership, after the mess of McNabb's benching in favor of Rex Grossman. And even THAT is a stretch.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    $40 million is a lot of guaranteed money for a 34-year old QB with declining production.
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow, benched in a game that was still very possible of winning for Rex fucking Grossman and rewarded with a contract like this? I am truly shocked. Maybe the skins think the new CBA will void the contract and this will keep McBenched happy the rest of this season? I really don't know what to think other then the Skins are crazy yet again.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Exclamation

Ummm...this signing is already paying dividends, though not quite in a manner that the Redskins would like to announce. According to the MNF statisticians, tonight's game has just set an NFL record: In the history of the league, no road team has lead the first quarter of any game by a larger margin that the Philadelphia Eagles, who lead the Redskins 28 to NOTHING.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OK, there are new reports that McNabb's contract entitles the Redskins to cut him at the end of the year without consequence other than a $3.75 million bonus. If true, this makes a lot more sense. This gives the team the option to decide whether to trigger the contract or find someone else to take over.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5812371

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    OK, there are new reports that McNabb's contract entitles the Redskins to cut him at the end of the year without consequence other than a $3.75 million bonus. If true, this makes a lot more sense. This gives the team the option to decide whether to trigger the contract or find someone else to take over.

Someone else will take over. He doesn't fit in with what Shanahan is trying to do offensively.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post

Adam Schefter needs writing lessons. I've read that article three times now, and it still doesn't make any sense. Why would a player sign a deal that guarantees him nothing more ($3.75 million ) than he already has if he is cut at the end of the year? In the next sentence, Scheftler goes on to say this isn't the case, that McNabb will actually be making $17.5 million this season, which effectively contradicts what he said earlier. So essentially the contract is worthless and can be thrown out the window at the end of the season if the team decides to go in a different direction. WHA?

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't really understand it either, Craig - so much of this is sportswriter specuulation... but I still think it's unlikely that we see McNabb in a Skins uni next year. Time will tell.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Seriously....would anyone want to play with that crazy fucker? Shanny's turning into a Grumpy Old Man...and imagine what it must be like to work for that owner...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    Seriously....would anyone want to play with that crazy fucker? Shanny's turning into a Grumpy Old Man...and imagine what it must be like to work for that owner...
    I know it's an oft-repeated item, but you have to wonder about that "Shanahan play off record minus Elway" statistic. Yeah, the guy is great at developing running backs. Still...

Thread Information