The 2002 Sam and Dave Tour -- Who Saw It? And Is It Considered ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vandeleur
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Sep 2009

I dont know how you people went to this , if dave is on first all you're thinking is that twat will be on soon and not enjoy dave and if mr I cunt drive at 55 was on first all your thinking is how many beers do I have to kneck before I finally get lucky and hit him.
    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Well not really, a lot of us left after Dave. I stayed and watched a bit of Hagar just for material for on here - it was before the days of 30 YouTube videos per gig, in fact now I think about it actually before YouTube even existed!

If Dave was headlining then no brainer just skip the support.

The problem started halfway through the tour when instead of it being a straight flip flop each night about who headlined they seemed to start making agreements whereby Roth would do a couple then Hagar 3 then Roth 2 and so on. As I said above I would have missed most of Roth's set if someone from here hadn't paged our hotel bar and I happened to be in it. Guy hasn't posted here for a decade and didn't know my name just the hotel I was staying at as I had mentioned it and he was from Tampa. Still makes me laugh it coming across the PA 'Phone call at reception for Mr Seshmeister'. Quite a lot of usernames here where that wouldn't have worked out so well.

Again technology, nowadays that would all have been easily sorted via smart phones and so on.
      Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-31-2017, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        Well not really, a lot of us left after Dave. I stayed and watched a bit of Hagar just for material for on here - it was before the days of 30 YouTube videos per gig, in fact now I think about it actually before YouTube even existed!

If Dave was headlining then no brainer just skip the support.

The problem started halfway through the tour when instead of it being a straight flip flop each night about who headlined they seemed to start making agreements whereby Roth would do a couple then Hagar 3 then Roth 2 and so on. As I said above I would have missed most of Roth's set if someone from here hadn't paged our hotel bar and I happened to be in it.

Again technology, nowadays that would all have been easily sorted via smart phones and so on.
        You're saying you're a better shot with a phone

Comment

• vandeleur
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Sep 2009

Reading back through the posts it seems Dave was on top form. I think I still have one of the audio recordings from donnie p . I think its that tour.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah he was even still doing a scissor jump from the drum riser at the end of the show at 47 years old.

My only criticism was it was all very serious, Roth had this dumb policy that there should be no jokes or smiles by him or anyone in the band.

That and maybe some of his fashion choices during that whole period...

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

I remember that we were already discussing Dave struggling with his voice back then. But he was putting some serious effort in it.
              Roth Army Icon
              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                Yeah he was even still doing a scissor jump from the drum riser at the end of the show at 47 years old.

My only criticism was it was all very serious, Roth had this dumb policy that there should be no jokes or smiles by him or anyone in the band.

That and maybe some of his fashion choices during that whole period...
                Yeah, the various colored leather jumpsuits didn't do a lot for him. He ended up looking more like "Neil Diamond Dave"
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                  opening night. met Von at the show, we were 15th row and i think he was second row. great show, good to see Dave on a big stage again, a stage i'd seen him on a couple times prior.

toward the end of the tour, i drove to Pittsburgh on a Sunday with the plan of watching Dave's opening set, leaving immediately after, and getting back home by midnight. took the long way down there, did a little tailgating in the parking lot, had a decent seat in the pavilion. homecoming show for Ray, a couple years later in Cleveland i told him i'd been to that show and he laughs and says he told his parents where not to be when Dave did the JD bottle bit. set's over and i'm on my way out...guy at the gate says "you're gonna miss the rest of the show" and i told him the show worth seeing was already over, and it was killer.

get back out to the parking lot, top down on the Jeep and i hit the highway. made good time up Rt 11 through Ohio, roll into my driveway at 12:02. fuck, two minutes late.

we were going to hit the next to last show in Buffalo. got the van all packed up and we're just into PA when Von calls, he's rolling through Ontario and lets us know Ray called and says last two shows are canceled, the Rotund Rocker blew his voice out doing a free show or something. we took a drive around Presque Isle, hit the burger joint around the corner from the house when we got back, and blew the rest of the beer money at Girlyland later that night. not the Memorial Day weekend we had planned, but pretty close to normal.
                  I've known Von 15 years. He was old back then, too.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

That tour was just before the age of crazy fucking seat prices wasn't it?

I bought 2 second row tickets off a scalper agency a day before the show for less than the cost of a standard ticket at the back these days.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I seem to remember tickets being under $50. I thought I submitted a scan of the stub for the site, but I don't have time to look for the thread.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

$65 at The Gorge, if I remember correctly. The lawn seats might have been cheaper but I was right down in front for this one.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DONNIEP
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                          Reading back through the posts it seems Dave was on top form. I think I still have one of the audio recordings from donnie p . I think its that tour.
                          You should have a DVD of the Camden NJ show too. Great show, the only downside is the video is the feed that was broadcast on the big screen behind the band so sometimes it's intercut with the BBQ video while the band is playing.
                          American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I would love to see footage of Pojo and VA with their backs to Hagar!
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

That tour was probably a net positive for Roth overall.

I've seen plenty of Camden, NJ and Hartford, CT boots of the Roth set of that tour floating around...I'd imagine those shows would both probably be on youtube by now.

He was in fairly good form vocally for that tour, and he had a very capable backing band. Brian Young serviced the EVH CVH guitar work quite well, I thought.

Yeah, his stage wardrobe for that tour was a bit cringeworthy, as were his platinum blonde hair weaves, as was his "jacking off the Jack Daniels bottle" bit...all of which kinda came off like he was trying to hold onto his youthful image a bit too desperately. However, he went out and served up the CVH tunes one after the other...I think he played Yankee Rose during that tour, and that was about it far as his solo career went...because Roth knew that was what people were coming there to hear. To his credit, Roth put together a solid band and performed a well-rehearsed set of CVH material. Personal cosmetics and wardrobe to one side, Roth gave all appearances of playing up to the maximum level of his abilities at that point.

You know, I never did see/hear what Sammy did for a set with that tour. From what I've read, it was several Van Hagar tunes, some Hagar solo stuff and some cover tunes. I guess Michael Anthony came out and jammed with him on a few tunes at some dates, as well.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

August 22nd 2002 Ctnow.Com Meadows Music Center, Hartford, CT, USA

Hot for Teacher
                                Panama
                                And the Cradle Will Rock...
                                Mean Street
                                Dance the Night Away
                                Runnin' With the Devil
                                I'm the One
                                Guitar Solo
                                You Really Got Me
                                Beautiful Girls
                                So This Is Love?
                                Atomic Punk
                                Little Dreamer
                                Oh, Pretty Woman
                                D.O.A.
                                Yankee Rose
                                Ice Cream Man
                                Everybody Wants Some!!
                                Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
                                Jump

Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-02-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Working...