Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 2002 Sam and Dave Tour -- Who Saw It? And Is It Considered ...

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-19-2016 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I nearly missed it. I was sitting in the hotel bar and an urgent call came in over the tannoy for Mr Seshmeister.

A Roth Army poster had phoned the hotel to warn me Roth was on first.

If I'd known in advance I would have been at one of the SC shows, I just sat a couple of weeks before counting out the days with a map in front of me working out where I could get to where I thought he would headline.

It didn't matter that much in the end but the place was only 2/3 full at the start of his set.
    I was at this show as well..missed out on meeting shesh, we arrived late & never caught up..
    the DLR band sounded way better & hagars band was lame IMO it seemed to have a night club feel with them & not a concert, we left in the middle of hagars set.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redblkwht View Post
    we left in the middle of hagars set.
    This tour never made it across the boarder.... but I would have left after Daves set...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redblkwht View Post
    I was at this show as well..missed out on meeting shesh, we arrived late & never caught up..
    the DLR band sounded way better & hagars band was lame IMO it seemed to have a night club feel with them & not a concert, we left in the middle of hagars set.
    Hah!

I remember you saying 'You'll know me, I'll be in the bar across the road wearing a VH shirt and a white baseball cap". I went into the place which was huge and there were approximately 1300 people that fitted that description...

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-08-2024 @ 09:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I had tickets to see this show at the New York State Fair in Syracuse, NY. I bought 3 tickets (for me and 2 friends) and trekked to my old hometown of Syracuse (I live in Atlanta, GA nowadays) only to find out the night before that the show was canceled.

I was PISSED!!!

Apparently Sammy got sick resulting in the cancellation of the final 2 dates (Buffalo and Syracuse, respectively) of the tour. Maybe he drank too much of his own tequila?

I did manage to catch DLR a few months earlier at the Atlanta Music Midtown Festival in May 2002 and he played the same set list as this was clearly a 90 minute warm-up date for the Sam & Dave tour. That was a great show to see Dave without the lofty Hagar-inflated ticket price.
    Last edited by heartbreaker; 11-22-2010 at 09:13 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

15 Years Ago: David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar Launch Joint Tour

By Michael Christopher May 31, 2017 4:20 PM

Since the mid ’80s, the debate had raged between Van Halen fans: Sammy or Dave? Fans got to judge for themselves when the band’s two former singers teamed up for a co-headlining tour that turned out to be highly contentious.

Over the course of a 21-date run, audiences could decide each night who was the better frontman. Would it be David Lee Roth, the original, high-flying wordsmith who left the Southern California party band in 1985 following the tour for the mega-selling 1984? Or his replacement, former Montrose singer Sammy Hagar, who struck solo gold with “I Can’t Drive 55″ and had some of the best pipes in the business?

When the new millennia dawned, both singers had fallen out of favor with the Van Halen brothers. Hagar left in 1996, and the band brought back in David Lee Roth, ostensibly for just two songs to be added on to an upcoming greatest-hits package. The majority of fans were hoping for a full-fledged reunion of the classic lineup, but it fell apart in spectacular fashion before former Extreme singer Gary Cherone was brought in for the ill-fated III album, which came out in 1998. Vocalist No. 3 departed the following year under amicable circumstances, and Van Halen tried working with Roth again – twice according to reports – but nothing ever came of it.

With Van Halen having been out of the public eye since late 1998, Hagar and Roth pulled one of the most audacious and implausible moves in music history, giving fans a chance to see them on the same bill as they teamed up for Song for Song, the Heavyweight Champs of Rock and Roll, a co-headlining tour that kicked off May 29, 2002, at Blossom Music Center near Cleveland.

“I was open to all sorts of crazy ideas,” Hagar said in his 2011 autobiography Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock. He and new manager Irving Azoff came up with the idea for the jaunt, “just to piss off Van Halen and get the fans worked up.”

Roth was amenable to the idea, having rejected an offer from Hagar to do a joint tour in 1997 and choosing instead to release a bestselling autobiography and greatest-hits album. “The time was wrong,” Roth said at an April press conference to announce the union. “Now the time is right. It’s completely unpredictable.”

At the press conference, held at Sky Bar in Los Angeles, the contrasting personalities between the two were made immediately clear. Hagar’s more subdued demeanor was reflected in his red pants and yellow Cabo Wabo-branded T-shirt; Roth was clad in head-to-toe black and joined by Playboy Playmates the Dahm triplets, as well as a dwarf dressed as Andy Warhol.

“Sam and I are like fraternity brothers that have been through the same s—-y hazing,” Roth said. “There’s a rivalry between us, so the audience gets the absolute best out of both of us. You have to think of it as two title fights with no under card. This is a co-headlining tour here. We’ll flip a coin and the winner will headline opening night and then we’ll flip-flop.”

The coin flip took place the first week in May on Howard Stern’s show, with Roth in attendance and Hagar calling in. The former won the toss, and would close the Ohio date, Hagar the next in Clarkston, Mich., and so on.

The set lists between the two would also be much different, with Roth focused primarily on Van Halen songs and one solo hit, “Yankee Rose,” while Hagar covered all eras of his career — from his time in Van Halen to solo tracks. He was joined by then-Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony on some dates, and they even brought Cherone onstage for a few songs when the tour hit his hometown of Boston.

But the anticipated duet between Roth and Hagar never happened. “Right at the start, he rejected my suggestion that we sing a few songs together and make it a friendly thing,” Hagar said in his book. “He envisioned something more along the lines of WWF Smackdown.” In the book and in the 2003 DVD documentary Sammy Hagar & The Waboritas: The Long Road to Cabo, Hagar details how, at the stop in Michigan, Kid Rock tried to broker a deal between the two and get them onstage together.

“Kid rock is going, ‘You guys gotta do one for the fans. I came here tonight wantin’ to see you guys get onstage [and do] a duet. You’re lettin’ us down, you’re lettin’ the fans down,'” Hagar recalled in the documentary. “He brought up a wonderful point, you know? And I said, ‘You’re absolutely right. Let’s talk to Dave.’ And Dave is sitting there going, ‘Well, sure Sam, let’s do something then.’ So Dave agrees, and I’m going, ‘All right! The Kid put it together. Thanks Kid, you’re awesome.’

“The next night, Dave goes, ‘Aww, my throat’s sore and I can’t do it.’ I went over to see him to say, ‘Hey, let’s work something out, what do you wanna do — what song?’ And he backed out of it. Then the next night he backed out of it. So finally it became a running joke, I used to go beat on his dressing room and he wouldn’t even answer the door, and I’d say, ‘Yoooo Diamond! You ready tonight? You ready to go out and do it?’ You have to have a sense of humor about it.”

That sense of humor would soon fade as the tour went on and the two traded barbs in the press. It got more and more heated and ultimately Hagar and Roth went to great lengths to avoid one another. “The Sam and Dave tour was a huge financial success,” Hagar said, “but a personal disaster.” Hagar accused Roth of cancelling a scheduled Sept. 2 show in Long Island by insisting that he would only play Madison Square Garden, and only if he could headline even though it wasn’t his turn.

Ultimately, the final two dates of the tour — in Buffalo and Syracuse — were canceled, initially attributed to Hagar falling ill, but at the same time punctuating the failure of the experiment. The scrapped dates came in the wake of the pair appearing on the MTV Video Music Awards in a tense co-presentation of the award for Best Rock Video on Aug. 29. Later that evening, to make up for the cancelled NYC date, Hagar performed a free show at the much more intimate Irving Plaza, where half the tickets were distributed to the New York police and fire departments. Both Anthony and Cherone joined him onstage in what was, by all accounts, a raucous party.

Shortly after the tour, which was called “Sans Halen” by some writers, Hagar seethed to Guitar World that he would never tour with Roth again. “Boy, I hate to ever say I’m sorry I did something, so I can’t say I’m sorry I did it,” he said. “But I certainly wouldn’t do it again, let’s put it like that.”

Hagar ended up with Van Halen again in 2004, recording three songs for the two-disc greatest hits-package The Best of Both Worlds and hitting the road for an 80-date tour, which, according to the singer, couldn’t have gone any worse.

“It was the Sam and Dave tour all over again, only it was Sam and Eddie,” Hagar said in his autobiography. “[Management] kept us apart as much as they could. We flew in different jets. We stayed at different hotels. We had out own limos. They had their bodyguards. Mike and I had ours. I stayed in my own dressing room on the other side of the hall. The only time I saw that guy was when we stepped out onstage.”

Suffice to say, the reunion didn’t last, barely making it to the end of the tour. In early 2007, there were once again rumblings that Roth was back in Van Halen, which wasn’t the only surprise; Anthony was ousted in favor of Eddie Van Halen’s son Wolfgang. In April that year, the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the most Van Halen way possible: Hagar and Anthony — two guys who weren’t even in the group anymore –were the only ones on hand to accept the honor.

Van Halen did end up reconvening with Roth in the fall of 2007, without Anthony, for a successful tour that stretched to summer the following year. A new studio album, A Different Kind of Truth, came out in 2012 with a supporting tour that extended to Japan and Australia. In 2015, the band returned to the road for 41 dates across North America.

Time seems to have softened the headache of the Sam & Dave tour. In early 2017, Hagar said the only way he would reunite with Van Halen would be if they toured with both singers. “I think the fans would die and go to heaven,” he said. “The competition for that would be great; he’d do ‘Panama’ and ‘Runnin’ With the Devil,’ and I’d be going, ‘Damn! I gotta step it up!’ I’m up for it.”

Read More: 15 Years Ago: David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar Launch Tour | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david...ckback=tsmclip

Read More: 15 Years Ago: David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar Launch Tour | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david...ckback=tsmclip

6. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-01-2017)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

I dont know how you people went to this , if dave is on first all you're thinking is that twat will be on soon and not enjoy dave and if mr I cunt drive at 55 was on first all your thinking is how many beers do I have to kneck before I finally get lucky and hit him.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well not really, a lot of us left after Dave. I stayed and watched a bit of Hagar just for material for on here - it was before the days of 30 YouTube videos per gig, in fact now I think about it actually before YouTube even existed!

If Dave was headlining then no brainer just skip the support.

The problem started halfway through the tour when instead of it being a straight flip flop each night about who headlined they seemed to start making agreements whereby Roth would do a couple then Hagar 3 then Roth 2 and so on. As I said above I would have missed most of Roth's set if someone from here hadn't paged our hotel bar and I happened to be in it. Guy hasn't posted here for a decade and didn't know my name just the hotel I was staying at as I had mentioned it and he was from Tampa. Still makes me laugh it coming across the PA 'Phone call at reception for Mr Seshmeister'. Quite a lot of usernames here where that wouldn't have worked out so well.

Again technology, nowadays that would all have been easily sorted via smart phones and so on.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-31-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well not really, a lot of us left after Dave. I stayed and watched a bit of Hagar just for material for on here - it was before the days of 30 YouTube videos per gig, in fact now I think about it actually before YouTube even existed!

If Dave was headlining then no brainer just skip the support.

The problem started halfway through the tour when instead of it being a straight flip flop each night about who headlined they seemed to start making agreements whereby Roth would do a couple then Hagar 3 then Roth 2 and so on. As I said above I would have missed most of Roth's set if someone from here hadn't paged our hotel bar and I happened to be in it.

Again technology, nowadays that would all have been easily sorted via smart phones and so on.
    You're saying you're a better shot with a phone

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Reading back through the posts it seems Dave was on top form. I think I still have one of the audio recordings from donnie p . I think its that tour.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah he was even still doing a scissor jump from the drum riser at the end of the show at 47 years old.

My only criticism was it was all very serious, Roth had this dumb policy that there should be no jokes or smiles by him or anyone in the band.

That and maybe some of his fashion choices during that whole period...

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I remember that we were already discussing Dave struggling with his voice back then. But he was putting some serious effort in it.

13. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (06-02-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Yeah he was even still doing a scissor jump from the drum riser at the end of the show at 47 years old.

My only criticism was it was all very serious, Roth had this dumb policy that there should be no jokes or smiles by him or anyone in the band.

That and maybe some of his fashion choices during that whole period...
    Yeah, the various colored leather jumpsuits didn't do a lot for him. He ended up looking more like "Neil Diamond Dave"

15. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (06-01-2017)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    opening night. met Von at the show, we were 15th row and i think he was second row. great show, good to see Dave on a big stage again, a stage i'd seen him on a couple times prior.

toward the end of the tour, i drove to Pittsburgh on a Sunday with the plan of watching Dave's opening set, leaving immediately after, and getting back home by midnight. took the long way down there, did a little tailgating in the parking lot, had a decent seat in the pavilion. homecoming show for Ray, a couple years later in Cleveland i told him i'd been to that show and he laughs and says he told his parents where not to be when Dave did the JD bottle bit. set's over and i'm on my way out...guy at the gate says "you're gonna miss the rest of the show" and i told him the show worth seeing was already over, and it was killer.

get back out to the parking lot, top down on the Jeep and i hit the highway. made good time up Rt 11 through Ohio, roll into my driveway at 12:02. fuck, two minutes late.

we were going to hit the next to last show in Buffalo. got the van all packed up and we're just into PA when Von calls, he's rolling through Ontario and lets us know Ray called and says last two shows are canceled, the Rotund Rocker blew his voice out doing a free show or something. we took a drive around Presque Isle, hit the burger joint around the corner from the house when we got back, and blew the rest of the beer money at Girlyland later that night. not the Memorial Day weekend we had planned, but pretty close to normal.
    I've known Von 15 years. He was old back then, too.

17. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (06-01-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That tour was just before the age of crazy fucking seat prices wasn't it?

I bought 2 second row tickets off a scalper agency a day before the show for less than the cost of a standard ticket at the back these days.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,615 Posts

I seem to remember tickets being under $50. I thought I submitted a scan of the stub for the site, but I don't have time to look for the thread.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

$65 at The Gorge, if I remember correctly. The lawn seats might have been cheaper but I was right down in front for this one.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Reading back through the posts it seems Dave was on top form. I think I still have one of the audio recordings from donnie p . I think its that tour.
    You should have a DVD of the Camden NJ show too. Great show, the only downside is the video is the feed that was broadcast on the big screen behind the band so sometimes it's intercut with the BBQ video while the band is playing.

22. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

vandeleur (06-01-2017)

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I would love to see footage of Pojo and VA with their backs to Hagar!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    That tour was probably a net positive for Roth overall.

I've seen plenty of Camden, NJ and Hartford, CT boots of the Roth set of that tour floating around...I'd imagine those shows would both probably be on youtube by now.

He was in fairly good form vocally for that tour, and he had a very capable backing band. Brian Young serviced the EVH CVH guitar work quite well, I thought.

Yeah, his stage wardrobe for that tour was a bit cringeworthy, as were his platinum blonde hair weaves, as was his "jacking off the Jack Daniels bottle" bit...all of which kinda came off like he was trying to hold onto his youthful image a bit too desperately. However, he went out and served up the CVH tunes one after the other...I think he played Yankee Rose during that tour, and that was about it far as his solo career went...because Roth knew that was what people were coming there to hear. To his credit, Roth put together a solid band and performed a well-rehearsed set of CVH material. Personal cosmetics and wardrobe to one side, Roth gave all appearances of playing up to the maximum level of his abilities at that point.

You know, I never did see/hear what Sammy did for a set with that tour. From what I've read, it was several Van Hagar tunes, some Hagar solo stuff and some cover tunes. I guess Michael Anthony came out and jammed with him on a few tunes at some dates, as well.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

August 22nd 2002 Ctnow.Com Meadows Music Center, Hartford, CT, USA

Hot for Teacher
    Panama
    And the Cradle Will Rock...
    Mean Street
    Dance the Night Away
    Runnin' With the Devil
    I'm the One
    Guitar Solo
    You Really Got Me
    Beautiful Girls
    So This Is Love?
    Atomic Punk
    Little Dreamer
    Oh, Pretty Woman
    D.O.A.
    Yankee Rose
    Ice Cream Man
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Jump

Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-02-2017 at 10:30 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

August 22nd 2002 Ctnow.Com Meadows Music Center, Hartford, CT, USA

Hot for Teacher
    Panama
    And the Cradle Will Rock...
    Mean Street
    Dance the Night Away
    Runnin' With the Devil
    I'm the One
    Guitar Solo
    You Really Got Me
    Beautiful Girls
    So This Is Love?
    Atomic Punk
    Little Dreamer
    Oh, Pretty Woman
    D.O.A.
    Yankee Rose
    Ice Cream Man
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Jump

More "Definitive" than the last VH tour!

27. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Romeo Delight (06-02-2017)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Man, discoursing on Dave's progress feels a lot like reflections about life and how you slowly come to stating that the more you go ahead, the less you're going to get your kicks out of it.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    More "Definitive" than the last VH tour!
    Not sure but I do think it's fair to say that Dave's backing band in 2002 were better than the one he had in 2007.

30. 3 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (06-02-2017),Terry (06-02-2017),ZahZoo (06-03-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Not sure but I do think it's fair to say that Dave's backing band in 2002 were better than the one he had in 2007.
    Wanna hear something fucked up?

I got to see Dave at the Hard Rock Orlando in the summer of 2006. Brian and Toshi were sharing guitar duties. Ray wasn't playing anymore with the band at that point (I can't even remember the drummers name there that night, but he was good), and I'm told Todd Jensen was playing with Roth live for those 2006 dates (my lady asked me when the band started playing who was who in the band, and I recognized Brian and Toshi right off the bat, but had no idea who the rhythm section were).

That band I saw in 2006 KICKED ASS. The fucked up part? The 2008 VH date I saw, Ed was playing poorly to the point where I honestly thought the 2006 solo gig sounded better. My old lady agreed, and she's not nearly as invested in Van Halen in terms of being a fan than I am. After the show, she said the same things I had been thinking throughout the 2008 show while the band were playing: Alex sounded good and played well, the bass was barely audible and Wolfgang looked weird and uncomfortable onstage, Dave sounded good and performed well, and Eddie played decent for the first 4 to 5 songs then got progressively worse. During Ed's solo toward the end of the show, my old lady turned to me and asked if Eddie was drunk. I looked over at her and sadly nodded my head. I mean, the entire arena was silent, and you could literally see everybody in there thinking the same thing: this guy is shitfaced and can't play properly.

I will say Ed redeemed himself in a big way when 2012 rolled around: Ed was quite excellent at the 2012 show I saw. Did everything he needed to do to service the material properly and do it justice. When the band were tearing into Girl Gone Bad, at one point I literally closed my eyes for a few moments and slowly nodded my head...like, Ed was just THAT fucking good that night. And I'd also add Wolfgang fit into the band much better on the ADKOT tour than he did the first tour in terms of performing. Point of fact, all three Van Halens knocked it out of the park in 2012.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2024 @ 08:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I saw them at the Trump Marina in Atlantic City. Sammy opened put on a good show. A little too much crowd interaction and Cabo Wabo endorsing for me. It seemed like a Sammy crowd to me I remember thinking fuck this place is gonna empty out for Dave. But it was the opposite! It was GA so me and missus were able to get to front once some Sammy people cleared out. Dave kicked ass! Place was packed and Rockin maybe a little under 90 minutes. Left most in crowd wanting a bit more. Can't believe 15 years ago. Damn!

33. Thanked Southpaw for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-04-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I saw them at the Trump Marina in Atlantic City. Sammy opened put on a good show. A little too much crowd interaction and Cabo Wabo endorsing for me. It seemed like a Sammy crowd to me I remember thinking fuck this place is gonna empty out for Dave. But it was the opposite! It was GA so me and missus were able to get to front once some Sammy people cleared out. Dave kicked ass! Place was packed and Rockin maybe a little under 90 minutes. Left most in crowd wanting a bit more. Can't believe 15 years ago. Damn!
    I was at that show.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I was at that show.
    Was Southpaw's description pretty accurate in terms of how you saw it?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Was Southpaw's description pretty accurate in terms of how you saw it?
    Pretty much. I saw a whole bunch of shows on that tour. The best thing about that show, was FilthyLilMouth (what ever happened to her) refused to stand for Clichegar's set, and sat right down in the middle of the floor. Like Southpaw said, it was general admission. There were no seats. Mike B and I spent the whole set trying to keep her from getting trampled! It was awesome!

37. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-06-2017)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Wanna hear something fucked up?

I got to see Dave at the Hard Rock Orlando in the summer of 2006. Brian and Toshi were sharing guitar duties. Ray wasn't playing anymore with the band at that point (I can't even remember the drummers name there that night, but he was good), and I'm told Todd Jensen was playing with Roth live for those 2006 dates (my lady asked me when the band started playing who was who in the band, and I recognized Brian and Toshi right off the bat, but had no idea who the rhythm section were).

That band I saw in 2006 KICKED ASS. The fucked up part? The 2008 VH date I saw, Ed was playing poorly to the point where I honestly thought the 2006 solo gig sounded better. My old lady agreed, and she's not nearly as invested in Van Halen in terms of being a fan than I am. After the show, she said the same things I had been thinking throughout the 2008 show while the band were playing: Alex sounded good and played well, the bass was barely audible and Wolfgang looked weird and uncomfortable onstage, Dave sounded good and performed well, and Eddie played decent for the first 4 to 5 songs then got progressively worse. During Ed's solo toward the end of the show, my old lady turned to me and asked if Eddie was drunk. I looked over at her and sadly nodded my head. I mean, the entire arena was silent, and you could literally see everybody in there thinking the same thing: this guy is shitfaced and can't play properly.

I will say Ed redeemed himself in a big way when 2012 rolled around: Ed was quite excellent at the 2012 show I saw. Did everything he needed to do to service the material properly and do it justice. When the band were tearing into Girl Gone Bad, at one point I literally closed my eyes for a few moments and slowly nodded my head...like, Ed was just THAT fucking good that night. And I'd also add Wolfgang fit into the band much better on the ADKOT tour than he did the first tour in terms of performing. Point of fact, all three Van Halens knocked it out of the park in 2012.
    I never saw them in 2007, but Ed did rip in 2012-2013...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I never saw them in 2007, but Ed did rip in 2012-2013...
    From the boots I have seen, the first dozen or so dates of the first leg of the 2007 tour demonstrated Ed being in decent form. My assumption was that he would have gotten better as the tour went on: they were playing basically the same tunes every night. The longer the tour went on, the worse he got.

But...yeah, Ed DID fucking rip in 2012-2013. He was so good in Tampa in 2012. I wouldn't go as far as to say he was playing on a level of excellence and intensity matching the CVH days, but he was well-rehearsed, focused and clearly enjoying himself.

Thread Information