The 2002 Sam and Dave Tour -- Who Saw It? And Is It Considered ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
    Holy shit - WTF were you doing at the Gorge? I was there too... ended up sitting next to FORD of all people!
    I went to high school in West Seattle and my sister and her family live in Federal Way, so I invited her and her husband...

Comment

• vh rides again
      Commando
      • Dec 2006

I seen it in peoria illinois.

Dave went on first and he sang pretty well, I didnt care for his guitar player on vh material at all.

That was the first time since 1982 I seen Dave bend over backwards and sing like on the vh vh cover, he held on to the mic stand and his head damn near touched the floor, it was pretty cool, I cant remember what song he was singing, prolly atomic punk or something.

I could also see him standing off to the side of the stage smoking cigs and talking to some chick and another guy.

There were alot of people smoking pot up front where I was at and everyone was blowing pot smoke towards the stage, he jokingly waved his hand thru the smoke and made a face.

I think it was important because it gave all the vanhagar fans who didnt know who the original singer for vh was an idea what the real vanhalen was about.

I left after daves set and I wasnt alone, I seen alot of people going out the doors, prolly a few hundred.

It was a good concert.
      Last edited by vh rides again; 11-17-2010, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

opening night. met Von at the show, we were 15th row and i think he was second row. great show, good to see Dave on a big stage again, a stage i'd seen him on a couple times prior.

toward the end of the tour, i drove to Pittsburgh on a Sunday with the plan of watching Dave's opening set, leaving immediately after, and getting back home by midnight. took the long way down there, did a little tailgating in the parking lot, had a decent seat in the pavilion. homecoming show for Ray, a couple years later in Cleveland i told him i'd been to that show and he laughs and says he told his parents where not to be when Dave did the JD bottle bit. set's over and i'm on my way out...guy at the gate says "you're gonna miss the rest of the show" and i told him the show worth seeing was already over, and it was killer.

get back out to the parking lot, top down on the Jeep and i hit the highway. made good time up Rt 11 through Ohio, roll into my driveway at 12:02. fuck, two minutes late.

we were going to hit the next to last show in Buffalo. got the van all packed up and we're just into PA when Von calls, he's rolling through Ontario and lets us know Ray called and says last two shows are canceled, the Rotund Rocker blew his voice out doing a free show or something. we took a drive around Presque Isle, hit the burger joint around the corner from the house when we got back, and blew the rest of the beer money at Girlyland later that night. not the Memorial Day weekend we had planned, but pretty close to normal.
        Last edited by twonabomber; 11-17-2010, 02:05 AM.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
          opening night. met Von at the show, we were 15th row and i think he was second row. great show, good to see Dave on a big stage again, a stage i'd seen him on a couple times prior.

toward the end of the tour, i drove to Pittsburgh on a Sunday with the plan of watching Dave's opening set, leaving immediately after, and getting back home by midnight. took the long way down there, did a little tailgating in the parking lot, had a decent seat in the pavilion. homecoming show for Ray, a couple years later in Cleveland i told him i'd been to that show and he laughs and says he told his parents where not to be when Dave did the JD bottle bit. set's over and i'm on my way out...guy at the gate says "you're gonna miss the rest of the show" and i told him the show worth seeing was already over, and it was killer.

get back out to the parking lot, top down on the Jeep and i hit the highway. made good time up Rt 11 through Ohio, roll into my driveway at 12:02. fuck, two minutes late.

we were going to hit the next to last show in Buffalo. got the van all packed up and we're just into PA when Von calls, he's rolling through Ontario and lets us know Ray called and says last two shows are canceled, the Rotund Rocker blew his voice out doing a free show or something. we took a drive around Presque Isle, hit the burger joint around the corner from the house when we got back, and blew the rest of the beer money at Girlyland later that night. not the Memorial Day weekend we had planned, but pretty close to normal.
          Presque Isle...funny...when I moved to PA from Cleveland, I lived mere minutes from Presque Isle...

Ouch...from going to see Dave...to...Presque Isle...Burgers...and Girlyland...

lol...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• VAiN
            Use my hand, I won't look
            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I saw the show down here in West Palm Amphitheater... nice venue, outdoors and all. Dave was the closer that night and he did not disappoint! I had seen Dave solo a few times before that, but to see him in a large venue was great! That's where I got my bad-ass 'Ole #1' shirt that I wore loud & proud to every VH 07/08 show that I attended!
            Originally posted by wiseguy
            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• slimdon
              Roadie
              • Feb 2004

The Gorge

Originally posted by ELVIS
              I was there at The Gorge...

Dave went on first and half of the people went back to our RV's during the Spam - Cabo infomercial...

I witnessed The Gorge show as well. Spent most of the day wandering the campsites raising toasts to fellow Dave's and hissing at Spam's. It was a great campground as there was nothing but Van Halen pumping from every site.

I thought Dave wiped the floor with Sam. As Dave said, "Sam liked to party, and Dave was the party." I didn't mind that Dave opened the show because the sun was shining brilliantly. I'd never had the chance of seeing him perform under a shining sun. A few years earlier I saw him headline Bumbershoot in Seattle in the stadium behind the Space Needle, and that was a hot summer night. (Great show too) But seeing thee Sun God under the sun was a pinacle moment in my Dave experiences.

Amen,
              The Reverend

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                I saw the show down here in West Palm Amphitheater... nice venue, outdoors and all. Dave was the closer that night and he did not disappoint! I had seen Dave solo a few times before that, but to see him in a large venue was great! That's where I got my bad-ass 'Ole #1' shirt that I wore loud & proud to every VH 07/08 show that I attended!
                VAiN, wasn't that show originally planned for the Pompano Ampitheater, yet was moved North to West Palm? (It might have been a solo appearance, now that I think of it.) Dave was supposed to play at Gulfstream one year as well, but this too was cancelled. It was as if he didn't wish to play our area at all for a while there, which sucked as I had tickets for both shows.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                  I went to high school in West Seattle and my sister and her family live in Federal Way, so I invited her and her husband...
                  Man, what a small world... I lived in West Seattle for years until we moved a few years ago.
                  ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                  Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by slimdon
                    A few years earlier I saw him headline Bumbershoot in Seattle in the stadium behind the Space Needle, and that was a hot summer night. (Great show too)
                    I saw that show as well... as I recall it was a few days before 9/11.
                    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• ace diamond
                      Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                      wow, what are the chances?

probably the same as Ace getting struck by lightning 4 times.

good one.
                      Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                      When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
                      "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

I was at the Charlotte show, great show. It was really good to see Dave back on a big stage and he killed that night. Well, that's how I remember it anyway. Started off with a grass pass and was able to sneak down into the covered area using some dude's ticket (if it was one of you guys thanks for the seat and the weed!). Then when DLR came back around the next May for Speed Street he put on a killer show then too - in the freaking rain no less.
                        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                          Man, what a small world... I lived in West Seattle for years until we moved a few years ago.

Eagle River !?!?!?
                          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                            Sniper
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by slimdon
                            I was reading your site and I came across where it said that Ross Hogarth is producing the new CD? He also said this "The record I just started ROCKS!!! [It] will be amazing... That is all I will say..."

Maybe everyone knows this but it’s news to me.
                            https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
                            http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber

we were going to hit the next to last show in Buffalo. got the van all packed up and we're just into PA when Von calls, he's rolling through Ontario and lets us know Ray called and says last two shows are canceled, the Rotund Rocker blew his voice out doing a free show or something.
                              He did that free Ground Zero show for NYFD, with three shows left in the tour.

Comment

• Chong Li
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Jan 2004

I saw them in Hartford, CT. Sammy went on first, and it was a contrived effort with girls, beach bar sets etc.

Dave headlined and the thing I remember was how hard rocking his set was. The Atomic Punks back up band he had was kick ass.
                                "Can't you hear Jamies cryin? Shes runnin with the Devil oh nooooo!!! oh no!

Comment

Working...