Thread: Remember when I said Miami doesn't deserve sports teams?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Remember when I said Miami doesn't deserve sports teams?

You won't believe this until you see the video. Miami Heat fans are so clueless, the team has introduced a campaign to educate them on when to arrive, cheering at the appropriate times and when to leave.

Miami Heat reminds its fans how to be, um, fans

Kurt Helin probasketballtalk

The Miami Heat have the most star-studded roster east of Los Angeles — but they don’t want their fans to be like Lakers fans.

Well, they want them to be rich and willing to pay for overpriced seats like Lakers fans. But they don’t want the Los Angeles fans reputation of showing up late to games, being more interested in their Blackberries during said game (looking up only for the Laker Girls routines), then leaving early to beat traffic.

They want “real” fans. “Fan Up.” Whatever that means. So the Heat PR put together a video to challenge their fan base — or insult and nag them, depending on how you view it. Plus they started a campaign on how to be a better fan by doing things like showing up on time, staying the entire game. Check out the video.

This is just wrong on a lot of levels — trying to shame your fan base into being “good” or being what you want them to be is only going to backfire. This is not going to change the late-arriving, laid back, party atmosphere in Miami’s arena, it’s just going to make fans feel like their mother is nagging them.

Stop it. You don’t see this from the Lakers — if you’re paying that much for the seat, do what you want with it in LA. The “real” Lakers fans arrive on time in the 300 level above the luxury boxes at Staples, that’s where the real noise comes from during games. Those real fans fill bars and drive television ratings up in Los Angeles. The celebs in the expensive seats play to their own beat, as does the city. The Lakers just let them dance to their drummer.

Embrace your fan base for what they are, Miami. Don’t try to change them into the Boston fan base. For their sake and yours.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...believe me...Cleveland fans have seen this...

It's embarrassing...they have those fucking red seats that are always fucking empty...right next to the court...

and they have essentially night clubs and bars laced all throughout that arena...and beer stands...and shit to do...

and they can't figure out why nobody wants to watch hoops...it's fucking joke...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Heat could have a special promotion allowing fans to kick this dude for 5 bucks, they could put it in the LeBitch and friends account.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only thing worse is our baseball franchise. You guys should attend a Marlins game. Purchase the cheapest ticket available, as you'll have your choice of where you wish to sit. We are averaging about 1,600 per game. And with the team moving further south to Little Havana soon, who knows how many of those 1,600 will continue to show up.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If you guys want an interesting listen...

This is a radio talk show in Cleveland from Cleveland.com...which is what hosts the Plain Dealer online. They talk to Brian Windhorst, who went to the same high school as LeBron...became the youngest beat writer in the NBA for the Akron Beacon Journal...then was hired by the Plain Dealer a couple years ago. He's an outstanding journalist...then...

coincidentally...got hired by ESPN to cover the NBA (and it turns out...the Heat...go figure). Realize...ESPN hired him.

Anyways...there are several bombshells in this interview...and it's obvious...he's saving some of it for a book...

It's 40 minutes...but trust me...it's worth every second...including the first 15...when they are hammering HIM for leaving Cleveland...and then Bash ESPN...

It's great stuff...

http://www.cleveland.com/dsn/index.s..._and_more.html

scroll down to the bottom...the audio is down there...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The only thing worse is our baseball franchise. You guys should attend a Marlins game. Purchase the cheapest ticket available, as you'll have your choice of where you wish to sit. We are averaging about 1,600 per game. And with the team moving further south to Little Havana soon, who knows how many of those 1,600 will continue to show up.
    Aren't they going to turn into the Miami Marlins?

Is little Havana safe?

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Wow, is it really that bad? They need to boot 2 or 4 teams from MLB and keep things like this from happening. I remember when the Marlins were in the WS and thinking it didn't look sold out, same with the Rays, but I never dreamed it was that bad.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    If you guys want an interesting listen...

This is a radio talk show in Cleveland from Cleveland.com...which is what hosts the Plain Dealer online. They talk to Brian Windhorst, who went to the same high school as LeBron...became the youngest beat writer in the NBA for the Akron Beacon Journal...then was hired by the Plain Dealer a couple years ago. He's an outstanding journalist...then...

coincidentally...got hired by ESPN to cover the NBA (and it turns out...the Heat...go figure). Realize...ESPN hired him.

Anyways...there are several bombshells in this interview...and it's obvious...he's saving some of it for a book...

It's 40 minutes...but trust me...it's worth every second...including the first 15...when they are hammering HIM for leaving Cleveland...and then Bash ESPN...

It's great stuff...

http://www.cleveland.com/dsn/index.s..._and_more.html

scroll down to the bottom...the audio is down there...
    I'll have to give this a listen tomorrow, I'm sure I'll get a kick out of it.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    Wow, is it really that bad? They need to boot 2 or 4 teams from MLB and keep things like this from happening. I remember when the Marlins were in the WS and thinking it didn't look sold out, same with the Rays, but I never dreamed it was that bad.
    If they had a team in Charlotte...or anywhere in CArolina for that matter...there would be a lot of people attending from all the fuck over the place. The closest games for me are in Washington and Baltimore...4+ hours away...

Or Atlanta...5 hours away...and I wouldn't drive that far for the fucking Yankees...or the INdians for that matter...

Pisses me right off...

I went to Game 5 of the National League Championship in 1992 in Pittsburgh, and was able to buy decent tix...third base side. I think three rivers was set up for 55 or so thousand...and it wasn't close to that...whole sections were empty in the upper deck. 55 G is a lot of baseball fans though...

Atlanta was the same way that series...I'm pretty sure...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Aren't they going to turn into the Miami Marlins?

Is little Havana safe?
    Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    You are forgetting something: South Florida has only the slightest variation of a mass transit system. Other than a train (which has few connecting buses to get you to arenas), you have to travel by car, enduring the most preposterous highway system ever devised. Both the Heat and Marlins (new) playgrounds require travel through several crummy neighborhoods that reflect the majority of the crime statistics for the entire state. Getting lost and pulling onto a side street in order to figure things out is pretty much a bad decision, as is stopping for gas. And the pisser is, the majority of fans coming to these games reside in either Palm Beach or Broward counties, well north of Dade county, where the games are held. On top of that, both teams decided to build their new arenas even further south than the old ones.

Put it this way...getting to a baseball game was a straight trip down the turnpike, with an off ramp leading right into the stadium. If the team could barely draw flies when it was located in such a practical location, what are the chances things will improve when fans must not only travel through an addition 25 or so miles of bad highway, but have to negotiate a war zone on top of it?

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Craig can this guy be of any assistance?

Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...believe me...Cleveland fans have seen this...

It's embarrassing...they have those fucking red seats that are always fucking empty...right next to the court...

and they have essentially night clubs and bars laced all throughout that arena...and beer stands...and shit to do...

and they can't figure out why nobody wants to watch hoops...it's fucking joke...
    I can't believe it every time I see it but it is true. Embarrassing
    Roth Army Canada

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_R View Post
    Craig can this guy be of any assistance?
    Nah, it's jerks like him driving gigantic SUVs and yacking on their cell phones while combing their hair (or doing their make up) that are a large part of the problem in the first place!

Thread Information