Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave, Bassplayer and The Round Rocket ink new deals with Warner/Chappell...

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Dave, Bassplayer and The Round Rocket ink new deals with Warner/Chappell...

SAMMY HAGAR, DAVID LEE ROTH And MICHAEL ANTHONY Ink New Deals With WARNER/CHAPPELL - Nov. 20, 2010

Warner/Chappell recently inked deals with legendary rockers Sammy Hagar, David Lee Roth and Michael Anthony, all of VAN HALEN fame.

As part of the new agreement, Warner/Chappell acquired the entire catalog of songs written by Sammy Hagar — songwriter guitarist, and former lead singer of VAN HALEN (1986 through 1996) — including his work with the bands VAN HALEN, MONTROSE and CHICKENFOOT, as well as his music as a solo artist.

Additionally, Warner/Chappell extended and expanded its worldwide administration agreements with songwriters David Lee Roth, original lead singer for VAN HALEN (1978 through 1984), and Michael Anthony, bassist for VAN HALEN and CHICKENFOOT. Roth's existing catalog, including his VAN HALEN and solo work, as well as Anthony's work with VAN HALEN and CHICKENFOOT's debut self-titled album, are part of the agreements.

"Sammy Hagar, David Lee Roth and Michael Anthony have not only each co-written hit songs recorded by VAN HALEN on some of the highest-selling albums of all time, but each had success on other solo or band recording projects as well," said Scott Francis, President, Warner/Chappell Music, and Chairman and CEO, Warner/Chappell Music U.S. "Their work is classic, timeless and adored around the world. The entire Warner/Chappell staff is excited to be working with such revered musicians who we know will continue to thrill fans for years to come."
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's interesting, what company had Chickenleg too begin with ?? The old album's make sense but did another label really sell the rights to a new gold record band ??

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Chappell/Warner wants make some ca$$$h
    http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hmm, anyone smelling a connection. Just connecting some dots here, but VH just resigned with Warner now Bassplayer is on board with them.
    THe Red Hot Butt Peppers are gearing up for a new album, Satch just released a new one... Bassplayer needs a job. VH?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is astoundingly confusing, as it's now the second press release from WARNER/CHAPPELL that will leave fans scratching their heads. If the Van Halen brothers signed an agreement a few months ago, how can Warners write another one covering Dave Roth, Sammy Hagar & Mike Anthony? Was there blank space on the contracts, and the three just signed their names?
    Last edited by chefcraig; 11-20-2010 at 12:50 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Clearly this is a back catalog issue. It would probably cut the legal hassles that Warner Brothers records would have to go through to release a Box Set or any Van HALEN videos, having all the publishing rights "in house". They would have no other reason to sign any sort of deal with Michael Anthony, who doesn't actually WRITE songs, but is listed as a co writer on most of the Van Halen/Van Hagar catalogs. I don't see Gary Cherone's name here, so I'll assume the VDIII era isn't part of any future marketing plans. This does add a bit of credibility to the rumors of Van Hagar remasters, unfortunately. Or worse yet, a Van Halen box set polluted by Cheddar.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Warner/Chappell administers publishing rights. in the grand scheme of things, this means nothing to consumers.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    This does add a bit of credibility to the rumors of Van Hagar remasters, unfortunately. Or worse yet, a Van Halen box set polluted by Cheddar.
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well... oh please no!!!! The thought of releasing anything with spam is just fucking retarded!

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Bassplayer needs a job. VH?
    The Van Halen's would love that.Just think of how little they would have to pay him
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    The Van Halen's would love that.Just think of how little they would have to pay him

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's probably for pubishing "easy" piano song books for fat midwestern housewives to learn to play Dreams and Just Like paradise while moistening their parlor piano stools.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Or worse yet, a Van Halen box set polluted by Cheddar.

A Van Hagar box-set is perfectly fine with me. Just keep it separate from the Van HALEN box-set. Two completely different eras with different vibes = two totally separate box-sets. There is enough material from both to each have their own box-set & make Ed lots of money.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    A Van Hagar box-set is perfectly fine with me. Just keep it separate from the Van HALEN box-set. Two completely different eras with different vibes = two totally separate box-sets. There is enough material from both to each have their own box-set & make Ed lots of money.
    Splendid idea! The Roth era set could contain cleaned up demos, amazing live recordings from the time before the band was signed, alternate takes of the familiar six-pack tunes, some of Ed's material from the Wild Life, a live DVD containing footage from Oakland 81 and other pro-shot gigs, bumper stickers and iron on patches or decals for clothing, a huge-assed poster and an amusing book filled with anecdotes and cool photos from the band's golden age.

Then the Hagar era set could have..."Crossing Over", a couple of tracks from a Valerie Bertinelli movie of the week...and, ummm...
    Last edited by chefcraig; 11-20-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, I've been preaching the "separate box sets" gospel for years now. I do not plan to give one fucking dime to Sammy Hagar ever again, and I would really resent anybody forcing me to do so, in order to get some rare/unreleased Van HALEN.

I'm thinking a "Beatles Anthology" type of approach actually. Volume 1 could be all the old demos from the Cherokee Studios demo in 73/74 with Mark Stone on bass, the Simmons "Zero" demos, up to the WB Demos from 1977. And the best of the live stuff from the club days.

Volume II would be outtakes/alternates/etc. from the "Six Pack" era 78-84. And maybe stuff like "the Wild Life" soundtrack. Definitely anything from the early "5150 sessions" with Dave singing. And maybe include "Me Wise Magic" & "Can't Get This Stuff No More", since BOV1 is probably out of print for good.

Volume III could be the Van Hagar shit. And we can all laugh our asses off at the sales numbers compared to that of the first two volumes.

As for Van HALEN live shows, I think it's time to take a "Grateful Dead/Pearl Jam/Phish" approach there and start releasing one live album a year or so on CD, along with DVD's when possible. My choice for the first release would be the Pasadena Civic Center show from 77 which VH played soon after signing with WB, so the label may already own the masters to this recording. It's certainly one of the better quality boots, and God knows how many generations deep that tape was before a bootlegger first put it on CD.

Which wallet is yours?
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It would be nice to have a Dave DVD with all of his solo videos.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    "Round Rocket", eh? More like "Round Wet Firecracker".

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_muthafucker View Post
    It would be nice to have a Dave DVD with all of his solo videos.
    Completely agree. I think David Lee Roth - The Videos on vhs went platinum. If those videos don't see dvd with the additional videos that came after, there would be a lot of money left on the table. Even if they were to only sell a 100k copies, that is some serious jack.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i wish Ed would crack open his "vault"

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sounds to me like they're probably just aiming for more remasters to bilk the public out of cash while Van Halen (whoever that actually consists of anymore) sits around and works hard on those ten albums in the can...or something...
    Twistin' by the pool.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You guy's are dreaming !!! A fucking box set !! These asholes (meaning the sisters) can't come up with 12 song's out of Ed's CAN for Dave to sing over !! I'd love to see it !! Keep praying.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    You guy's are dreaming !!! A fucking box set !! These asholes (meaning the sisters) can't come up with 12 song's out of Ed's CAN for Dave to sing over !! I'd love to see it !! Keep praying.
    Right, but that's new material. The beauty of the box set is that everything is already recorded, so Eddie's laziness isn't a factor. With the possible exception of him actually having to pick up a master tape and move it from point a to point WB.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    But that IS the point.....spEd is so lazy he can't even do that for a fucking box set apparently.

THAT is sad.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed believes he developed as a true songsmith with the Van Hagar era and looks upon the CVH years as infantile in the bands history.
    Back in the days of him having half the control of the band just wasn't good enough.
    After Dave was out of the picture he (Ed) took it upon himself to spew all sorts of bullshit about Dave and his departure throughout the press. Thus proving that he is a weak minded paranoid by taking the low road by taking interviewers bait. Believe me, I (as well as many here) followed the soap opera.
    Dave on the other hand, being of higher intelligence and class, responded positively about it by elaborating very little and making reporters heads spin with his endless Roth-isms.
    The press couldn't figure him out. They STILL HAVEN"T!!!

Edward Van Halen has the complete inability to see his own band from a fans perspective.
    (See: Running the band/legacy into the ground... )

He seems content to ride on past glories rather than even trying to expand and progress on them...
    (See: Methamphetamine/ substance abuse debilitation)

So I'll say it again...

Enough with the gearwhoring and OPEN THE FUCKIN VAULTS, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed believes he developed as a true songsmith with the Van Hagar era and looks upon the CVH years as infantile in the bands history.
    Back in the days of him having half the control of the band just wasn't good enough.
    After Dave was out of the picture he (Ed) took it upon himself to spew all sorts of bullshit about Dave and his departure throughout the press. Thus proving that he is a weak minded paranoid by taking the low road by taking interviewers bait. Believe me, I (as well as many here) followed the soap opera.
    Dave on the other hand, being of higher intelligence and class, responded positively about it by elaborating very little and making reporters heads spin with his endless Roth-isms.
    The press couldn't figure him out. They STILL HAVEN"T!!!

Edward Van Halen has the complete inability to see his own band from a fans perspective.
    (See: Running the band/legacy into the ground... )

He seems content to ride on past glories rather than even trying to expand and progress on them...
    (See: Methamphetamine/ substance abuse debilitation)

So I'll say it again...

Enough with the gearwhoring and OPEN THE FUCKIN VAULTS, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

The reason why Dave didnt partake in the bitchslapping is because , according, to his book and from a fans perspective he understood what CVH meant to people, the songs and more importantly the shows that the band did .If you ask Ed what CVH meant to him he wouldnt have a fuckin answer!....although i would like to know deep down with Dave whether he ever, regrets bleaving VH.After the '84 tour they could have one their own way for a year andf oror a year and a half, released a solo album let fuckin Ed do his soundtracks for Valerie and then reconvened and see where things were at.At least if he walked then he could at least say he did all he could.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    From what I read from the book, Dave did do everything he could. You heard what 5150 sounded like. That's why he left, and it took Van Hagar over a year and a half to put that "record" together.
    I brought my pencil!!!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Time off was not an option at that point in time for VH. They'd just come off their biggest and most successful album/tour. It's a fickle public out there, and Dave knew it. They had to get to work.
    Ed was so far into blow and Shlitz Malt Liquor, he didn't know where to begin. So naturally he holed himself up in the studio numbing himself with substance. Refusing to answer the gate when Dave would show up to get down to work is a sure sign of cocaine induced paranoia .
    Ed was completely mentally and physically fucked!
    Wasn't it around this time Ed had a meltdown, and like a blubbering pussy, hacked off his hair, himself?

.......nevermind. That was after a couple of years into the Cheddar era.....

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Cool

Wasn't it around this time Ed had a meltdown, and like a blubbering pussy, hacked off his hair, himself?
    That entire sorry episode was recounted in (of all places) Stephen Davis' Aerosmith bio Walk This Way. Tim Collins, who had done wonders sobering up Aerosmith, was called in by someone in the VH brain trust to meet with Edward Van Halen, who at the time seemed to be coming off the rails. During the meeting, EVH appeared intoxicated and crying, and at one point disappeared. He returned some time later after having hacked off most of his hair. Collins split, realizing he had a full plate dealing with Aerosmith, and doubted he could also handle such a complete and utter basketcase. In order to cover Ed's new, odd appearance, a story was bizarrely invented and spread to the media about him losing a golf bet with Buffalo Bills quarterback Jim Kelly. Within a year, Van Hagar was history, and the pattern of Eddie Van Halen's genuine weirdness (although well known within the industry and pretty much held quiet) started bubbling to the surface publicly, eventually erupting with embarrassing episodes of questionable behavior such as drunkenly calling the Howard Stern radio show to proclaim he'd cured himself of cancer, apparently through the use of cheap wine and cigarettes. (This unhinged work toward a cure was related in Valerie Bertinelli's first book, which includes details of Ed meeting with a "doctor" who's cure involved him getting high and drinking with Ed as part of the remedy.) That he attributed the cancer to his habit of placing metal guitar picks in his mouth while playing in the first place only muddied the waters further, considering people have been eating with metal spoons and forks for well over a century without any ill effects.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Dave said in his book the sisters only wanted to do a few stadiums a year in America. And that they were up to a case of beer a day a piece at that point. So he told Ed he was walking and could maybe get something going down the road. He said Ed didn't get what he was saying. Meaning get it together or I won't come back. That's the way I took what he wrote. He wanted too be on the road they wanted to fuck off in the studio for a year. I bet Dave thought what the fuck we used to record a album in 3 weeks.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave's work ethic was always on a higher plane....

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The whole cancer situation only confirmed eddie's god complex to the world."I cured my cancer",sure Ed,Nothing to do with the treatment you got,no way.apparently doctors and scientists have been wasting their time with all this research,time and money.They should have got in contact with some over-the-hill rock star many years ago.I'll bet they are kicking themselves. I really fucking hate eddie.He is a crazy and bitter old man.How the mighty have fallen.It is sad to see.I particularly enjoy his implication that cancer always comes back,except in his case thanks to his secret method.Come to think of it,why the hell would eddie NEED van halen?,He has invented the cure for cancer

78/84 guy you are spot on about Dave wanting to get back on the road and eddie wanting to do a few stadium gig's a year
    Last edited by Dave's Bitch; 11-26-2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Not big enough rant on eddie

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    The whole cancer situation only confirmed eddie's god complex to the world."I cured my cancer",sure Ed,Nothing to do with the treatment you got,no way.apparently doctors and scientists have been wasting their time with all this research,time and money.They should have got in contact with some over-the-hill rock star many years ago.I'll bet they are kicking themselves. I really fucking hate eddie.He is a crazy and bitter old man.How the mighty have fallen.It is sad to see.I particularly enjoy his implication that cancer always comes back,except in his case thanks to his secret method.Come to think of it,why the hell would eddie NEED van halen?,He has invented the cure for cancer.
    cool rant. my revelation was in 1985. steve vai is a superior guitarist, and a far better human.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    That he attributed the cancer to his habit of placing metal guitar picks in his mouth while playing in the first place only muddied the waters further, considering people have been eating with metal spoons and forks for well over a century without any ill effects.
    A lot longer than a century but good call.

When I heard his bullshit I just thought 'What a fucking idiot'. What I should have thought is 'Spoons you fucking idiot'.

The amount of respect Eddie gets in the media is insane, he's still got a magic cloak from his work 35 fucking years ago that prevents anyone ripping the piss out of him.

Maybe it's just because he's not an A list celeb so not well enough known to be laughed at.

By all accounts Michael Jackson was pretty successful in the same era and he got laughed at constantly about the chimp and the oxygen tent and so on long before his pedo problems.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Reading the Aerosmith book I remember thinking I would be really hard pushed to think of a job I would hate more than Tim Collins one, listening to dumb fucking self centred man child millionaire rock stars whining and crying about how no one understands them day and how tough their lives are.

I'd rather be Susan Boyle's proctologist.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    well he or she at least is employed right now, with all the travel subo does.

likely to get paid on time, too!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    cool rant. my revelation was in 1985. steve vai is a superior guitarist, and a far better human.
    That's a even better take !! I like Ed's tone better but Vai & Dave were a pretty good combo !! One more CD would have been nice out of them. Ed's a fucking moron. I still think Dave should bolt. But i'll wait for the CD. If I live long enough !!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    When I heard his bullshit I just thought 'What a fucking idiot'. What I should have thought is 'Spoons you fucking idiot'.

The amount of respect Eddie gets in the media is insane, he's still got a magic cloak from his work 35 fucking years ago that prevents anyone ripping the piss out of him.

Maybe it's just because he's not an A list celeb so not well enough known to be laughed at.

By all accounts Michael Jackson was pretty successful in the same era and he got laughed at constantly about the chimp and the oxygen tent and so on long before his pedo problems.
    So fuckin true...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Reading the Aerosmith book I remember thinking I would be really hard pushed to think of a job I would hate more than Tim Collins one, listening to dumb fucking self centred man child millionaire rock stars whining and crying about how no one understands them day and how tough their lives are.

Thing of it is, these celebrities...from any field or walk of entertainment...they get sunshine blown up their ass enough by a combination of media and fans...and get it blown up there long enough...I mean, it'd take someone with an almost inhuman amount of humility not to start buying into all of that adulation and start believing all the hype.

If anything, Van Halen were probably too successful for their own good. Possibly the one good thing about CVH is they more-or-less ended on the top of their game, and Roth didn't stick around to participate in the group after Ed got soft and content from all the success the band (deservedly, IMO) had.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Part of the problem is coke which ego wise for these people is pouring gas on a fire.

It occurs to me that nowadays we would maybe have got another few years out of Van Halen because drugs fashions have changed a bit plus they wouldn't have had the royalties from the records and the big money comes from playing live so staying together.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Thing of it is, these celebrities...from any field or walk of entertainment...they get sunshine blown up their ass enough by a combination of media and fans...and get it blown up there long enough...I mean, it'd take someone with an almost inhuman amount of humility not to start buying into all of that adulation and start believing all the hype.
    Of course I thought EVH was an amazing guitarist, otherwise why would I post here but even back in the day I was embarrassed reading the typical Guitarist spread.

It was fucking cringeworthy to read these people who were meant to be journalists talk to him like he was literally a god. Maybe it's a British thing but I don't think so, I found it toe curling and just horrible. That it goes on even now is ludicrous.

If he was the actual living god, the second coming here to save humanity the humble worship of the 'questions' would have been awkward.

That combined with fan worship, insecurity, a less than ideal upbringing, booze, drugs, LA, and not being the smartest cookie has created the pretty twisted confused Eddie we have now.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 11-26-2010 at 09:34 PM.

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Perhaps, Edward should have chosen to endeavor in more than one creative project (not that the slave masters of Warner would have let him) He could have created his artistic expressions and the commercialized sound so deeply expressed and desired in this thread.

It is natural that Edward would grow and express himself in a variety of ways. Ways that could not be fully continued within the Van Halen genre.

I happen to like Edward's piano renditions. Are they the same or close to the commercialized Van Halen band, not even close. Nevertheless, I listen to many musical scores that are not Van Halen (the band) genre.
    {Dave too}
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information