Thread: 1984 Tour Stage

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ALMOSTsaved View Post
    As did I. For starters, the Mike with the wet pussy pic is the 1982 "Diver Down" tour...as is the one of Dave showing ass in the "more '81 glory" shot...Also, the Orlando opening for the Stones shot is actually on the back of the "Diver Down" album...can't be the "Diver Down" tour....Still great photos and I definitely mean no disrespect.
    You are correct sir. I am digginthose shots though. Do I see Ed's Marshall's off to the right in one of the FW pics? Also, what were the other, if any backdrops for FW other than the city scene? That one where I thought I saw his Marshalls looks like the backdrop is a pile of rubble.
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    You are correct sir. I am digginthose shots though. Do I see Ed's Marshall's off to the right in one of the FW pics? Also, what were the other, if any backdrops for FW other than the city scene? That one where I thought I saw his Marshalls looks like the backdrop is a pile of rubble.
    The "Fair Warning" tour was the first I saw them on in Biloxi, MS at eleven years old. I really only remembered the "city scene" back drop. However, now that I've seen these photos I too noticed what looks to appear to be a different back drop with the piles of rubble. Either this angle just shows more of the bottom section of the "city scene" that wasn't really noticeable from a straight on view or there was more than one...These shots are nothing short of amazing.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Any from the EEAS tour to compare with the 5150 stage setup? (I know, I know...)
    I brought my pencil!!!

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Cool

Pretty sure the EEAS stage was quite similar to 1984. I would be VERY interested to find out more about these banners mentioned about the 1981 stage, as I was there, but don't remember seeing them. They are evidently similar to the red borderlines with the VH logo as seen on the 1981, worldwide tour tshirt. I want to see pictures of these banners of which you speak.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    That fucking stage was HUUUUGE....

The truss coming down at the end of the show with the 1 9 8 4 flashing....

The big platforms on each side....

Ed's keyboards were up on the platform parallel to Al's kit.....
    I was on the stage when that truss was down during set up. That stage was actually dangerous with lots of sharp corners. You really could hurt yourself on the steps going up the drum riser or not paying attention. Not the day I was working but a few shows back someone was walking back on the stage looking at something and walked right off the stage and fell on some equipment below and ended up hurting themselves really bad. All that stuff is dangerous. It's heavy, it's sharp, there are high voltages feeding the lights that can make parts of the stage hot. A lot of performers have stories of getting shocked on stage. It happened to Ace Frehley and he put that in his book.

All this stuff has to be put together and time goes by fast. It has to be ready for the show. You have tired crews and it's easy to miss something. Van Halen actually had checklists and everything had to be marked off to make sure this was grounded or that safety cable was on. The Grateful Dead can tell some scary stories about pushing the envelope with big equipment in an atmosphere that was less professional To be honest, I don't think I would want to be under some big speakers or lights some stoned hippies threw together. I want professional riggers and checklists with people that know what they are doing checking it. Not some stoners that rented a bunch of Safeco scaffolding. LOL!
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 10-27-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Thread Information