Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CROWBAR
    Commando
    • Sep 2004

If you'll notice, they basically recycled certain items for the next year's tour. As far back as the '80 tour, that mesh grate surrounding Al's drums was used again for the 5150 tour. Those speaker cabs were too.

More '81 glory...

1979, second tour, Alex always lit his drums on fire...

Ed's solo, he always jumped at the amps and they would rock, but never fall...

US Festival...

1980 tour where Mike played keys for "Cradle"...

Orlando Florida, opening act for the Stones...Diver Down tour...

Club days or 1978, not too sure...

Comment

• CROWBAR
      Commando
      • Sep 2004

US Fest stage in 1983. Notice the backdrop from 1980.

in 1981...

Comment

• Cato
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by CROWBAR
        This is the 1980 stage. Had the cool VH lion with shades for a backdrop..
        why is Mike's pussy wet?
        Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• CROWBAR
          Commando
          • Sep 2004

He had just came from a Japanese restaurant

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
            Veteran
            • Feb 2004

Fan-fucking-tastic pics, Crowbar...However a few of the tour years are a little off.
            I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• Fairwrning
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Ahh the memories..I remember walkin in and seeing the curtain..it was semi-blocked off but easy enough to get around..I was expecting the clear drum kit from all the '80 tour pics..and was blown away by the black and white kit..and all the dam amps..unreal...
              Does anybody remember the banners?..they were red and black,,one would say Van Halen..next would say Fair Warning..staggered throughout the rafters..

Comment

• CROWBAR
                Commando
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
                Fan-fucking-tastic pics, Crowbar...However a few of the tour years are a little off.
                Nah, not really. I don't claim to be a VH historian, but know that most pics are the correct years. Prove me wrong if ya want. The fact that they brought back certain items for their next stage show can confuse. I'm old enough to know as I grew up with them.

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2004

As did I. For starters, the Mike with the wet pussy pic is the 1982 "Diver Down" tour...as is the one of Dave showing ass in the "more '81 glory" shot...Also, the Orlando opening for the Stones shot is actually on the back of the "Diver Down" album...can't be the "Diver Down" tour....Still great photos and I definitely mean no disrespect.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah the Stones support was for the Fair Warning tour in 1981.

It was the last time they played a support gig with Roth. Next one was 14 years later with Van Hagar...

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

I remember becoming hysterical when the giant VH of Rane lights came down from the lighting rig.
                      Walked out of the venue with everyone else just going apeshit.

Was the most incredible hard rock show I had ever seen. Though I have seen some great shows in my life, the 4 times I saw VH wif Dave are always in the top of my list of incredible concert experiences.

Comment

• Antman
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
                        As did I. For starters, the Mike with the wet pussy pic is the 1982 "Diver Down" tour...as is the one of Dave showing ass in the "more '81 glory" shot...Also, the Orlando opening for the Stones shot is actually on the back of the "Diver Down" album...can't be the "Diver Down" tour....Still great photos and I definitely mean no disrespect.
                        You are correct sir. I am digginthose shots though. Do I see Ed's Marshall's off to the right in one of the FW pics? Also, what were the other, if any backdrops for FW other than the city scene? That one where I thought I saw his Marshalls looks like the backdrop is a pile of rubble.
                        When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Antman
                          You are correct sir. I am digginthose shots though. Do I see Ed's Marshall's off to the right in one of the FW pics? Also, what were the other, if any backdrops for FW other than the city scene? That one where I thought I saw his Marshalls looks like the backdrop is a pile of rubble.
                          The "Fair Warning" tour was the first I saw them on in Biloxi, MS at eleven years old. I really only remembered the "city scene" back drop. However, now that I've seen these photos I too noticed what looks to appear to be a different back drop with the piles of rubble. Either this angle just shows more of the bottom section of the "city scene" that wasn't really noticeable from a straight on view or there was more than one...These shots are nothing short of amazing.

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Jan 2004

Any from the EEAS tour to compare with the 5150 stage setup? (I know, I know...)
                            I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• big fatty
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jul 2004

Pretty sure the EEAS stage was quite similar to 1984. I would be VERY interested to find out more about these banners mentioned about the 1981 stage, as I was there, but don't remember seeing them. They are evidently similar to the red borderlines with the VH logo as seen on the 1981, worldwide tour tshirt. I want to see pictures of these banners of which you speak.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                                That fucking stage was HUUUUGE....

The truss coming down at the end of the show with the 1 9 8 4 flashing....

The big platforms on each side....

Ed's keyboards were up on the platform parallel to Al's kit.....
                                I was on the stage when that truss was down during set up. That stage was actually dangerous with lots of sharp corners. You really could hurt yourself on the steps going up the drum riser or not paying attention. Not the day I was working but a few shows back someone was walking back on the stage looking at something and walked right off the stage and fell on some equipment below and ended up hurting themselves really bad. All that stuff is dangerous. It's heavy, it's sharp, there are high voltages feeding the lights that can make parts of the stage hot. A lot of performers have stories of getting shocked on stage. It happened to Ace Frehley and he put that in his book.

All this stuff has to be put together and time goes by fast. It has to be ready for the show. You have tired crews and it's easy to miss something. Van Halen actually had checklists and everything had to be marked off to make sure this was grounded or that safety cable was on. The Grateful Dead can tell some scary stories about pushing the envelope with big equipment in an atmosphere that was less professional To be honest, I don't think I would want to be under some big speakers or lights some stoned hippies threw together. I want professional riggers and checklists with people that know what they are doing checking it. Not some stoners that rented a bunch of Safeco scaffolding. LOL!
                                Last edited by Nitro Express; 10-27-2012, 05:12 PM.
                                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...