X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SilvioDante
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

College Basketball 2010-2011

Anyone watch or care much about college basketball? If not I'll talk to myself for a while.

Early thoughts:
    Duke will probably make it to the NCAA tournament undefeated.

Ohio State will win the Big Ten (the best conference this year)

Brandon Knight is a better basketball player than John Wall and Kentucky will only get 2 drafted in the first round this year.

Butler is back where it belongs.

UNC will right the ship but freshmen shouldn't be voted to the preseason All-American team.

Indiana is still 2 years away...

Discuss.....
    "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I love College basketball, but hate the NBA.

Fuck UNC. I hope Roy Williams hangs himself.

The Big 11 just might be the best Conference this year. Some damn good teams.

I hope Duke does get to the tournament undefeated. That would make a tournament loss more likely.

What the fuck about this kid at UConn? Holy shit is he lighting it up. Think he'll stay all 4 years? LMFAO!

Comment

• SilvioDante
      Head Fluffer
      • Jan 2004

I dislike the NBA. I like watching the Celtics now and Rondo. I have always loved Bob Knight's take on the NBA:

"Hell, I don't even watch the pros. If the NBA was on Channel 5 and a bunch
      of frogs making love were on Channel 4, I'd watch the frogs--even if they
      came in fuzzy."
      Anyway, if there was a MVP of the Maui Classic, it had better have been that guy from UConn. Geez, he ruled the whole tournament.

I hate UNC and Duke for the most part. But my hatred for them doesn't hold a candle to my hatred for Kentucky. They have the most obnoxious fans in all of sports. They have cheated (and probably still are under Calipari) since the game was invented. They were run by one of the biggest racist to ever coach. They have this sense of entitlement that makes me sick. 44 conference championships? Crap, it's the SEC. They stink at basketball!! UK might have one team that can challenge them every year, if they are lucky.

The Big 10 r1+1 IS the best conference over all. 5 teams in the top 25. That's pretty good.

Duke had better lose at some point. The only thing most of us Indiana fan have to hang our hats on right now it the '76 team being the last undefeated team...
      "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by SilvioDante
        The only thing most of us Indiana fan have to hang our hats on right now it the '76 team being the last undefeated team...
        What about the National Championship team with Landon Turner? I really liked that team. I met Landon Turner in 1982, and while I only spoke to him for a few minutes, his attitude left a lasting impression.

Comment

• TFM_Dale
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2009

My problem with basketball both pro and college is the lack of team play. It is rare to see a real team anymore, everyone is worried about "being the man" making the game alot sloppier then it ever used to be. They have rules now to try to help boost scoring when back in the day (I'm getting old, what do you want?) teams scored over 100 damn near every game and they beat the crap out of each other. I loved basketball the way it used to be played, now it is a non stop whistle fest with a bunch of ego maniacs trying to make a name for themselves.

Comment

• Von Halen
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

They really need to raise the rim up to 12'.

These players are no where near the average size they were when the game was invented. Heck, they are no where near the size they were 20 or 30 years ago.

When I go out in my driveway and lower the rim to a height that is comparable to those idiots playing on a 10' rim, the difference is amazing. It makes it too easy.

At this point, they could move the three point line out to half court.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by TFM_Dale
              My problem with basketball both pro and college is the lack of team play. It is rare to see a real team anymore, everyone is worried about "being the man" making the game alot sloppier then it ever used to be. They have rules now to try to help boost scoring when back in the day (I'm getting old, what do you want?) teams scored over 100 damn near every game and they beat the crap out of each other. I loved basketball the way it used to be played, now it is a non stop whistle fest with a bunch of ego maniacs trying to make a name for themselves.
              Most of the time...the "teams" win though...most of the time...
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen

These players are no where near the average size they were when the game was invented. Heck, they are no where near the size they were 20 or 30 years ago.

When I go out in my driveway and lower the rim to a height that is comparable to those idiots playing on a 10' rim, the difference is amazing. It makes it too easy.

Man...they've been talking about raising the rim for years. You MIGHT see it...but my god...the whining...could you fucking imagine...

My visions of fucking VonPa 8' dunking...priceless...

I dunked on a 10' hoop once during a summer camp before my senior year in high school...and broke my ankle coming down...barely made the start of summer camp for football
                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Von Halen
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                  My visions of fucking VonPa 8' dunking...priceless...
                  VonSkywalker!

Comment

• SilvioDante
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jan 2004

What about the National Championship team with Landon Turner? I really liked that team. I met Landon Turner in 1982, and while I only spoke to him for a few minutes, his attitude left a lasting impression.
                    I met Turner this October at IU's version of Midnight Madness this year, called Hoosier Hysteria. What an awesome man. He was great with my son. He is someone who could be negative, but was great.

Comment

• SilvioDante
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2004

I wouldn't go that far. If they would just call the game the way it was intended to be called. Two steps w/o dribbling IS traveling. Call palming. The game, especially in the NBA, is being called and designed, to emphasize the individual. I like to think of it as the "Sportscenter Mentality". More Sportscenter moments, more free advertising for your game/sport/star/team.

I tell the kids I coach that the NBA is to basketball what WWE is to wrestling. Yeah, it's basketball, but it is more focused on entertainment rather than competition.

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I'd go that far. The game wasn't designed for guys that can just reach up and set the ball in the hole, without even leaving the floor. Sure, they need to call the game by the rules, but they are too close to the rim these days.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

It would teach coaches to actually have to teach shooting again...and working for a shot...

Comment

• SilvioDante
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                            It would teach coaches to actually have to teach shooting again...and working for a shot...
                            Mid range jumpers. You have a lot of kids that can hit the 3, but shoot worse inside the arc. Shot fakes, free throws, moving without the ball, screening away from the ball. All lost arts...

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2004

you're all correct. what a bunch of cranky old fucks we are...
                              David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
                              — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

Working...