Thread: College Basketball 2010-2011

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-07-2015 @ 05:45 AM
    Status
    Thanks

College Basketball 2010-2011

Anyone watch or care much about college basketball? If not I'll talk to myself for a while.

Early thoughts:
    Duke will probably make it to the NCAA tournament undefeated.

Ohio State will win the Big Ten (the best conference this year)

Brandon Knight is a better basketball player than John Wall and Kentucky will only get 2 drafted in the first round this year.

Butler is back where it belongs.

UNC will right the ship but freshmen shouldn't be voted to the preseason All-American team.

Indiana is still 2 years away...

Discuss.....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

I love College basketball, but hate the NBA.

Fuck UNC. I hope Roy Williams hangs himself.

The Big 11 just might be the best Conference this year. Some damn good teams.

I hope Duke does get to the tournament undefeated. That would make a tournament loss more likely.

What the fuck about this kid at UConn? Holy shit is he lighting it up. Think he'll stay all 4 years? LMFAO!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I dislike the NBA. I like watching the Celtics now and Rondo. I have always loved Bob Knight's take on the NBA:

"Hell, I don't even watch the pros. If the NBA was on Channel 5 and a bunch
    of frogs making love were on Channel 4, I'd watch the frogs--even if they
    came in fuzzy."
    Anyway, if there was a MVP of the Maui Classic, it had better have been that guy from UConn. Geez, he ruled the whole tournament.

I hate UNC and Duke for the most part. But my hatred for them doesn't hold a candle to my hatred for Kentucky. They have the most obnoxious fans in all of sports. They have cheated (and probably still are under Calipari) since the game was invented. They were run by one of the biggest racist to ever coach. They have this sense of entitlement that makes me sick. 44 conference championships? Crap, it's the SEC. They stink at basketball!! UK might have one team that can challenge them every year, if they are lucky.

The Big 10 r1+1 IS the best conference over all. 5 teams in the top 25. That's pretty good.

Duke had better lose at some point. The only thing most of us Indiana fan have to hang our hats on right now it the '76 team being the last undefeated team...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SilvioDante View Post
    The only thing most of us Indiana fan have to hang our hats on right now it the '76 team being the last undefeated team...
    What about the National Championship team with Landon Turner? I really liked that team. I met Landon Turner in 1982, and while I only spoke to him for a few minutes, his attitude left a lasting impression.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2022 @ 10:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,023 Posts

My problem with basketball both pro and college is the lack of team play. It is rare to see a real team anymore, everyone is worried about "being the man" making the game alot sloppier then it ever used to be. They have rules now to try to help boost scoring when back in the day (I'm getting old, what do you want?) teams scored over 100 damn near every game and they beat the crap out of each other. I loved basketball the way it used to be played, now it is a non stop whistle fest with a bunch of ego maniacs trying to make a name for themselves.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They really need to raise the rim up to 12'.

These players are no where near the average size they were when the game was invented. Heck, they are no where near the size they were 20 or 30 years ago.

When I go out in my driveway and lower the rim to a height that is comparable to those idiots playing on a 10' rim, the difference is amazing. It makes it too easy.

At this point, they could move the three point line out to half court.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    My problem with basketball both pro and college is the lack of team play. It is rare to see a real team anymore, everyone is worried about "being the man" making the game alot sloppier then it ever used to be. They have rules now to try to help boost scoring when back in the day (I'm getting old, what do you want?) teams scored over 100 damn near every game and they beat the crap out of each other. I loved basketball the way it used to be played, now it is a non stop whistle fest with a bunch of ego maniacs trying to make a name for themselves.
    Most of the time...the "teams" win though...most of the time...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post

These players are no where near the average size they were when the game was invented. Heck, they are no where near the size they were 20 or 30 years ago.

When I go out in my driveway and lower the rim to a height that is comparable to those idiots playing on a 10' rim, the difference is amazing. It makes it too easy.

Man...they've been talking about raising the rim for years. You MIGHT see it...but my god...the whining...could you fucking imagine...

My visions of fucking VonPa 8' dunking...priceless...

I dunked on a 10' hoop once during a summer camp before my senior year in high school...and broke my ankle coming down...barely made the start of summer camp for football

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    My visions of fucking VonPa 8' dunking...priceless...
    VonSkywalker!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What about the National Championship team with Landon Turner? I really liked that team. I met Landon Turner in 1982, and while I only spoke to him for a few minutes, his attitude left a lasting impression.
    I met Turner this October at IU's version of Midnight Madness this year, called Hoosier Hysteria. What an awesome man. He was great with my son. He is someone who could be negative, but was great.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I wouldn't go that far. If they would just call the game the way it was intended to be called. Two steps w/o dribbling IS traveling. Call palming. The game, especially in the NBA, is being called and designed, to emphasize the individual. I like to think of it as the "Sportscenter Mentality". More Sportscenter moments, more free advertising for your game/sport/star/team.

I tell the kids I coach that the NBA is to basketball what WWE is to wrestling. Yeah, it's basketball, but it is more focused on entertainment rather than competition.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'd go that far. The game wasn't designed for guys that can just reach up and set the ball in the hole, without even leaving the floor. Sure, they need to call the game by the rules, but they are too close to the rim these days.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It would teach coaches to actually have to teach shooting again...and working for a shot...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    It would teach coaches to actually have to teach shooting again...and working for a shot...
    Mid range jumpers. You have a lot of kids that can hit the 3, but shoot worse inside the arc. Shot fakes, free throws, moving without the ball, screening away from the ball. All lost arts...

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-31-2018 @ 06:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

you're all correct. what a bunch of cranky old fucks we are...

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

badgers beat osu!!! knocked off #1 in football and basketball this season

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    badgers beat osu!!! knocked off #1 in football and basketball this season
    Sure thought they would run the table. Sullinger is a man.

All of us Hoosiers can crack open the champagne one more time. (Except that jerk Kent Benson. Saw him behind the Purdue bench wearing a Purdue shirt Tuesday. He is dead to me.)

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-22-2024 @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck OSU. On Wisconsin!

Got off a plane in Houston yesterday to find a bunch of Badger fans celebrating at a bar (of course).

19. Thanked High Life Man for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (02-14-2011)

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by High Life Man View Post
    Fuck OSU. On Wisconsin!

Got off a plane in Houston yesterday to find a bunch of Badger fans celebrating at a bar (of course).
    You have just as much chance seeing a dead badger, as a "bunch of Badger fans."

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

fuck 'em bucky! get the tarheels

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ohio State is better this year than last year...and they could be damn deep if Matta would ever go that far....but he doesn't, and that is always THE issue with this team.

It's time to give the Buckeyes a seat at the "Big Boy" Table of NCAA hoops...with the UNC's, the Dukes, and the KenSUCKys...Thad Matta can recruit like a Motherfucker...

It was damn fun watching the Bucks hammer the fuck out of DOOK...damn fun indeed...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

One of these days I gotsta get down there for UNC/Duke Poj, just to experience it....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Those tickets are difficult to come by in any respectable range of money...

I've been to one of the spectacle games, but at UNC...which for an outsider I suppose, isn't the place to go. Cameron is where I want to see a game played...but I don't know a soul that graduated from Duke (after 12 years down here, that's actually kind of funny in a way) that has an in for tickets.

I know plenty of UNC grads, and got lucky one year when a good friend of mine was out of town and had tickets...

The game wasn't really any different in the Dean Dome than at any other big time college basketball venue I've been at for a rivalry game...what was CLEARLY different was before and after the game...the only thing close to the hate in that rivalry that I've seen in my life up close was Ohio State/Michigan...

the difference being at Ohio State-Michiwhores, there are 100,000+ at the games, and another 50,000 outside...hating the shit out of each other (and...they are a lot less pompous cuntbags)...

The UNC/Duke rivalry is all that...with the exception being that the fans are, for the most part, privileged. You need some serious damn coin to go to both schools...40,000ish a year for both I believe...so, you know...

Just an interesting watch for a kid growing up in a FOOTBALL hotbed, as opposed to a college hotbed.

Funny thing about it all, is that I went to three or four Pitt/Syracuse match-ups back in the days of Charles Smith and Jerome Lane for Pitt, and the game atmosphere was similar in the building (but you could tell once out of the building, not such a big deal)...

Not trying to put down Duke/UNC...it's just not giving a shit about either takes away the luster...but UNC won that game I went to, and as I was walking back out to the car, I was damn glad I wasn't a dook fan...if there was any indicator on a car that they were from Duke...the car got fucking pummeled. I saw several cars with broken windows, and several kids following Dook fan like sharks circling a chum bucket. My buddy and I actually had to step in when four or five guys had encircled an old couple (in their 60's) for wearing, no shit, a Dook cardigan. It was ridiculous...

No doubt though...the atmosphere is unlike any other I've experienced with regards to college hoops...and keep in mind that the banter goes on non-stop...all year long...down here...

...funny thing is...you could make a case that the UNC-State match-ups down here have just as much, if not more...blood boiling...although it's not national. The Wolfpac plays at RBC, and I've been to many UNC-State, and Duke-State games, and while the Wolfpack gets it handed to them yearly (which is why no national attention)...the atmosphere around and in the building is similar (and there's more WPack fans in general...as the blue collar school in the area)...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That was really a long-winded version of...

"Yeah...you oughta come down for one if we can get tickets that don't force us to remortgage our homes..."

Thread Information