Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

HUGE VAN HALEN UPDATE: Van Halen’s 2011 Plans and The TRUTH Behind The Rumors

VHND

The following breaking news is sure to come as a welcome Holiday gift for Van Halen fans around the world who’ve been dying to know if the band is planning on releasing new music or touring in the near future.

Sources tell the Van Halen News Desk that the band is very eager to tour, and that they want to tour behind new material. Eddie Van Halen has been very busy during most of 2010 writing music. Alex and Wolfgang Van Halen often join Eddie in the 5150 studio and the three of them have been hard at work jamming and recording demos. The three Van Halens have been sending the music to David Lee Roth, who’s adding the lyrics. Two of our sources have heard some of the early versions of the tracks (without vocals) and were very pleased. The music is said to sound like straight ahead rock ‘n’ roll and “very Van Halen.”

After talking to several producers, the band has chosen GRAMMY award winner producer/songwriter/musician John Shanks (whom Clive Davis calls “the father of that guitar-driven kind of pop sound”). In January, 2011, David, Eddie, Alex & Wolfgang will head into the studio to begin recording with the much sought-after producer. The band is hopeful that the recording sessions will lead to a full studio album that would be completed and available sometime next year.

Interestingly, the band is planning on recording in John Shank’s Henson Studio as well as Van Halen’s 5150 Studios, making next month the first time Van Halen will record anywhere outside of their own studio since it was built, in 1983.

We are excited to learn that the band is re-exploring Eddie’s extensive library of unreleased songs and riffs, even reaching back to their early unreleased demos for added inspiration. The band is retooling and tweaking some of this mostly-unheard, incredible music, which have completely new lyrics from Roth. Eddie is even considering developing a song or two from the material that he wrote for The Wild Life movie score in the mid 1980′s.

Although this news is not coming straight from the band or their publicist, we can tell you with certainty that it isn’t just another rumor that will turn out to be false, as most rumors do. These are indeed Van Halen’s current goals. We at the Van Halen News Desk have several reliable sources close to, or within the Van Halen camp, who give us solid Van Halen updates whenever they make any major plans. Our relationships with these contacts were established during the years of our publishing the official Van Halen fan magazine, “The Inside”, and through our associations while running VHND.com and VanHalenStore.com.

We want to clarify that, while this news sounds very promising for fans, NOTHING is set in stone as far as a definite album or tour. The band is hoping to have a new album and tour, but only time will tell if it all comes to fruition. There is no timetable for anything yet.

Despite their grand plans, it is very unlikely that there will be any confirmation from Van Halen themselves about any of this. The band has a definite policy of not talking until their plans are 100% solid and everything is in place. They don’t want to announce any plans that might not pan out, so as to not disappoint fans.

A source close to David Lee Roth tells us that he’s been getting in top physical shape for the potential tour and has been writings tons of lyrics.

We also have another source who’s spent some time with Eddie Van Halen recently. Ed seems to be doing better than ever these days. He’s been completely sober for over 2 1/2 years. He has surrounding himself with positive, encouraging people, among them his wife Janie, bandmates Alex and Wolfgang, and friend and business partner, Matt Bruck. His schedule is early to bed, early to rise, and he’s keeping very focused on staying sober, writing new music and running his EVH brand. We are really happy to hear he’s in a wonderful place these days.

More about Van Halen producer John Shanks:
    John Shanks is one of the hottest and most influential producers working today. On top of that, he is a hit songwriter and accomplished guitar player. John has produced and/or written 43 #1 singles, 119 Top 5 singles, 67 #1 albums, 172 Top 10 albums, and over 60 million records sold in the genres of Rock, Pop and Country music. He is also a six time GRAMMY nominee including a win for Producer of the Year in 2005. “John’s records have become the sound of Top Forty Radio,” Clive Davis told Rolling Stone. “He’s the father of that guitar-driven kind of pop sound.”

John Shanks has worked with Miley Cyrus, Bon Jovi, Keith Urban, Celine Dion, Kelly Clarkson, Sheryl Crow, Santana, Rod Stewart, Melissa Etheridge, Alanis Morissette, Hilary Duff, Train’s Pat Monahan, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, Pink, Liz Phair, Jessica Simpson, Ashlee Simpson, Joe Cocker, Bonnie Raitt, and many more.

The TRUTH about the Van Halen rumors:
    And now for the die-hard fans, the Van Halen News Desk will tackle all the currently widespread rumors and either shoot them down or confirm them as true.
    Rumor: Van Halen are working towards finishing recording of a new studio album with David Lee Roth and a single is slated for release before the end of this year.
    FALSE. The band starts recording in January.

Rumor: The band will tour extensively in 2011, taking in North America, and likely European and Australian dates.
    FALSE. Although a 2011 tour may occur, no such tour is currently planned.

Rumor: Numerous reports about new music coming from the band are true. There is new music recorded with the expectation of an all-new studio album featuring David Lee Roth to be released in 2011. What is not known right now is the time frame for this.
    Mostly TRUE. The band has written lots of new music and hopes to complete an album, but a nothing is definite right now.

Rumor: DLR’s vocals are being recorded away from the 5150 studio.
    Partially True. This is true, but only in regards to the early demos, not the final recording. This is what many bands do before entering the studio. The entire band will reconvene in the studio in January.

Rumor: Eddie has recorded most of the bass parts for the album.
    FALSE. Eddie could have recorded some of the bass parts for the early demos when Wolfie wasn’t around, as he often did when Michael Anthony was in the band. Wolfgang has been recording demos all year, and he’ll be playing all the bass parts on the finished tracks.

Rumor: There is a deal in place between Warner Bros. and the band for a new album.
    FALSE. If a new album is released, it will most likely be a direct deal with Walmart or Bestbuy.

Rumor: Van Halen has chosen Ross Hogarth to produce new music.
    FALSE. The producer they chose is John Shanks. Hogarth is an engineer rather than a producer, and is not involved with Van Halen whatsoever.

Rumor: Chris Cornell from Soundgarden has recorded some background vocals on some of the new music.
    FALSE.

Rumor: A spokeperson for Van Halen recently clarified that the band isn’t doing anything and that there will definitely be no new album or tour next year.
    FALSE. A spokeperson for Van Halen did indeed shoot down the recent rumors of planned tour and an album near completion. He was being honest in doing so, since there is currently neither a tour planned, nor an album near completion. However, he did say that the band is currently “working on stuff”, but gave no further details.

Rumor: The main reason that the band never released a DVD of the 2007-2008 tour was because the band members could not reach a financial agreement over the deal.
    FALSE. The reason that it wasn’t released had nothing at all to do with finances. The band simply wasn’t happy enough with the footage and felt that many camera angels weren’t right.

Rumor: Warner Bros is preparing to release Blue-Ray editions of “Live Without a Net” and “Live Right Here Right Now.”
    Unknown. We don’t know if this is true or not.

Rumor: Warner Bros is releasing limited edition remastered vinyl releases of Van Halen II, Women And Children First, and 1984 on Dec. 13th, 2010.
    True, except for release date. The 3 vinyls will be released, but they’ve been pushed back until sometime in early 2011.

Rumor: Warner Bros is preparing to release re-masters of the Sammy Hagar era catalogue
    Partially True. They are talking about releasing remasters of the Sammy Hagar era albums, but nothing has been decided yet.

Stay tuned to VHND.com for the truth about Van Halen 2011!
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

We want to clarify that, while this news sounds very promising for fans, NOTHING is set in stone as far as a definite album or tour. The band is hoping to have a new album and tour, but only time will tell if it all comes to fruition. There is no timetable for anything yet.

Despite their grand plans, it is very unlikely that there will be any confirmation from Van Halen themselves about any of this. The band has a definite policy of not talking until their plans are 100% solid and everything is in place. They don’t want to announce any plans that might not pan out, so as to not disappoint fans.

It's ok. We are use to it.

Comment

• Marx1000
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Nov 2010

Wake me up when I can actually go buy a new CD. Although it sounds promising.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Jagermeister

It's ok. We are use to it.
        scary........

Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Jagermeister
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

It is looking more and more like this is not just a rumor. I don't understand why it sounds like "the band" does not include Roth as far as being in the studio. Something sounds wrong about that. Why would Roth not be invloved in the recording of anything?

Comment

• VAiN
            Use my hand, I won't look
            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Interesting... I guess it's nice to have something positive.. So, late 2011, maybe?
            Originally posted by wiseguy
            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• vaijuju
              Sniper
              • Jan 2008

now i know that all of you said about melodicrock.. Sorry for posting bad rumors! now i'll not posting any thread , i'm going just to be a reader!
              http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                Sniper
                • Jan 2004

well, this seems highly plausible and these guys actually do have verifiable contacts within the VH camp (so they can sell more flip-flops!!).

I'm glad that they actually plan to record some of this in the same room together. I may not be thrilled with Shanks, but the fact that Ed is NOT producing it and they are NOT recording it at 5150 is GRATE news. Henson definitely sounds like Dave's choice (since he recorded Diamond Dave there), which is encouraging; he doesn't appear to be getting completely marginalized.

maybe these guys are going to act like adults for once.
                David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
                — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• SunisinuS
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • May 2010

All I can hope is that Dave takes a Shank to John Shanks (if this really is the producer) whenever he tries to make a VH song sound like Ashlee Simpson.
                  Last edited by SunisinuS; 12-09-2010, 02:52 PM. Reason: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shanks
                  Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by SunisinuS
                    All I can hope is that Dave takes a Shank to John Shanks (if this really is the producer) whenever he tries to make a VH song sound like Ashlee Simpson.
                    Then again, he could coach Wolfgang on the boy's miming skills...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• moose
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2004

Still aint gonna hold my breath!!

Comment

• VHscraps
                        Veteran
                        • Jul 2009

I think it sounds plausible. I was a bit concerned about this producer, John Shanks, but as someone else above said - it's gotta be better than letting Eddie produce?? That would be the worst of all worlds. And after a bit of looking around I notice that Shanks produced the 2003 album by Jane's Addiction, Strays. I'm no fan of that band, but I do remember the tune 'Just Because' on MTV and always liked it - it gets better as it gets to the chorus and beyond:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xoTzMAFetLs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xoTzMAFetLs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

So, who cares about the Miley Cirus stuff he's done. Potentially good news that they've managed to wrest control of whatever they are doing from Ed. This guy Shanks is in his 40s - he's maybe a VH fan and has some ideas about how to get them back to sounding good.

My one other reservation from what's in that report is Eddie playing bass - he just can't play bass. Doesn't think like a bass player. I'd be happy if they got Bassplayer back ... he and DLR compliment each other, and as a bass player he leaves room in the sonic spectrum for Ed to do what he should be doing.
                        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Carloscda
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Jan 2009

***Rumor: Warner Bros is preparing to release Blue-Ray editions of “Live Without a Net” and “Live Right Here Right Now.”
                          Unknown. We don’t know if this is true or not.***

F*** That!! How about cracking the vaults!!
                          That footage alone would easily outsell any tour & new cd!!

Something must be going on because we haven't heard a peep from the always out spoken Dave Lee Roth?!

Comment

• VHscraps
                            Veteran
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Carloscda
                            Something must be going on because we haven't heard a peep from the always out spoken Dave Lee Roth?!
                            Dave is tending to his sheep, marshalling those dogs and pondering that new goatee beard he was spotted with recently, while the brothers - ahem, sisters - figure out how to put the right foot in front of the left, then the left foot in front of the right ... da da da.

But, man, you are on the spot - if it was all belly-up, Dave would let us know.
                            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Antman
                              Commando
                              • Jan 2004

This is news??? I was hoping for an update on striped boxer shorts.
                              When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

Working...