Thread: The Connecticut Women's Basketball thread

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The Connecticut Women's Basketball thread

Holy Fuck, I hope that pissed everyone off that fucking read that. Comparing the UCLA teams to women's basketball is the biggest fucking joke I've ever heard. All this fucking talk about how their style is similar...and they are somewhat the same...

blah...blah...fucking blah...

The only thing remarkable about anything involving women's basketball is that the term remarkable is used. It's like saying a pee wee hoops team broke or tied Wooden's record. What a fucking joke.

I hope to fucking hell tOSU rolls them tomorrow...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know. It's kind of like comparing that pansy soccer to our real sport, FOOTBALL!

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wooden was an inovator in not just his sport, but he sort of transcedended sports in a way.

I don't see Auriemma in the same way.

plus, it's women's fucking basketball.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    Holy Fuck, I hope that pissed everyone off that fucking read that.
    You sure got me with it....

I was like, "WHAT THE FUCK ??"

Wooden is on his own pedestal.... There's Wooden, and then there's everyone else....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    When that old fucking cheater Calhoun quits, gets canned or croaks, I'd LOVE for the fucking brass to offer the job to that fucking piece of overrated shit...

He's not a legitimate coach, and won't be...until he succeeds on the other side...

What a fucking joke...

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    When that old fucking cheater Calhoun quits, gets canned or croaks, I'd LOVE for the fucking brass to offer the job to that fucking piece of overrated shit...

He's not a legitimate coach, and won't be...until he succeeds on the other side...

What a fucking joke...
    Yeah a friend of mine was flipping through and they were noting the great sports streaks in history, and JIMMIE JOHNSON WAS MENTIONED

that dude only dominates because of the shit chase system that was in place, where he's able to fuck up on the first couple of tracks and then just win at the shit tracks at the end. FUCK HIM.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "I just know there wouldn't be this many people in the room if we were chasing a woman's record," the Connecticut coach said Sunday near the end of his postgame news conference. "The reason everybody is having a heart attack the last four or five days is a bunch of women are threatening to break a men's record, and everybody is all up in arms about it."

What a fucking douche...

1. A women's basketball team is a fucking joke...no offense ladies.
    2. The two streaks shouldn't even compare. The women's game isn't even a triple A league...it's like a developmental league...
    3. Auriemma is a fag

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "All the women are happy as hell and they can't wait to come in here and ask questions. All the guys that loved women's basketball are all excited, and all the miserable bastards that follow men's basketball and don't want us to break the record are all here because they're pissed," Auriemma said. "That's just the way it is."

Count me in as a miserable bastard

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Because we're breaking a men's record, we've got a lot of people paying attention," Auriemma said. "If we were breaking a women's record, everybody would go, 'Aren't those girls nice, let's give them two paragraphs in USA Today, you know, give them one line on the bottom of ESPN and then let's send them back where they belong, in the kitchen.' "

They don't have to go back to the kitchen...but two paragraphs in the USA Today is a joke...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...they shouldn't get one...

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    who the fuck is saying for them to go back to the kitchen?

more power to women for playing basketball, no skin off my back. I just don't enjoy watching it. Really boring game. Solid on fundamentals, but come on, you don't watch basketball for solid fundamentals, sort of the reason why I don't enjoy watching the spurs in the NBA Finals every other year.

just have a hard deal putting it on par with john wooden's record or comparing UCLA BBall back in the day to UConn's. Different times, different levels entirely. Wooden's record stands out more to me still.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Because we're breaking a men's record, we've got a lot of people paying attention," Auriemma said. "If we were breaking a women's record, everybody would go, 'Aren't those girls nice, let's give them two paragraphs in USA Today, you know, give them one line on the bottom of ESPN and then let's send them back where they belong, in the kitchen.' "

They don't have to go back to the kitchen...but two paragraphs in the USA Today is a joke...
    and you know what, another reason why wooden is more awesome than this guy ever will dream to be.

I can guran-damn-tee you he wouldn't be making it to make some bullshit statement about his team. He'd just win games and be done with, strictly business.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...hn_wooden.html

hell, I HATE Duke, HATE THEM, but I doubt Coach K. would ever say something like that either. There's a way of handling things in sports, and then theres how UConn douche just did.

dudes amatuer hour. Could probably never successfully coach at the men's level. Now, I will say something a bit controversial, but I think that Pat Summit could if she so desired. Have a lot more respect for her.
    Last edited by Unchainme; 12-20-2010 at 02:29 AM.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You can't compare the two at all.

Geno and the UCONN women's basketball team is a machine partially created by ESPN. They tried the same thing with the men's team, but men's basketball is a little more competitive. The entire Big East conference was created by ESPN. Especially football. The only people that care about women's basketball are the UCONN alums that work at ESPN and people in Tennessee. For everybody else, women's basketball is something to watch while waiting for the men's game to start.

As far as Wooden goes, what kind of "innovator" would he have been without Sam Gilbert lining the pockets of the UCLA team for nearly 20 years?
    "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvioDante View Post
    As far as Wooden goes, what kind of "innovator" would he have been without Sam Gilbert lining the pockets of the UCLA team for nearly 20 years?
    you're just say he's a purdue alum, silvio .

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchainme View Post
    you're just say he's a purdue alum, silvio .
    Being a Purdoo alum sure doesn't help....

You just can't compare what Wooden did to what coaches do today. I think the run Coach K has been on at Duke is just as impressive. The competition is WAY tougher today than it was in the 60's. Not to mention the NCAA tournament was tougher. Less teams, only regular season conference champions , very region specific. UCLA had it a little easier than having to play in the Big Ten or ACC. IMHO, I think that college basketball has to be broke down into 2 eras, "the pre Bird-Magic-ESPN" and "post Bird-Magic-ESPN". After that game, and the birth of the four-letter-network, it all changed. Records before then are a little less impressive to me (and, yes, that does include the '76 Hoosiers)....

Then there is the fact that Sam Gilbert lined the pockets of every major recruit UCLA had for almost 20 years....

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Any way you look at it, it's still an apples and oranges argument, as we are talking about two distinctly different games. Besides that, Mr. Wooden is in the Hall of Fame as both a player and a coach. Take that, Geno. Quite your whining, while you are at it, try to show some dignity. You know, like Mr. Wooden.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shame on you ESPN...for putting that shit on the front page of your site...and talking about it at all...I wouldn't watch women play if they played naked...

yeah I would...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't find the lining of pockets relevant to today's basketball, because it happens at every university today. I guarantee you that if you did off the boards homework at any major university (Duke included) today, you could find someone that knows of someone getting paid. It's a fact of life. What's amazing is that it only slips out a couple of times a year...if that. Boosters did this at every school, and trust me when I say that in nearly every year that UCLA won a title, there were other teams with talent as big and bad as they. Maybe not as consistent over the years at UCLA because of the draw at the time...but they were there...for sure.

As for Coach K, do you really think that the well padded pockets of the Duke boosters don't pad the pocket of Duke's recruiting classes year after year? What about Roy Williams and UNC? If there is a major university without this shit going on?

Now, I do agree with you that Coach K may be just as good a coach...but I don't think you can knock Wooden for practices that were running balls out wild all over the country. Living here in Tobacco Road, there are rumors yearly about all these fucking coaches and their boosters. 15 years from now, I guarantee you that some names will pop up, as they do for nearly every coach, of boosters they likely had nothing to do with. Players wanted to play for Wooden, and it didn't hurt that they got paid to do it. The only difference between UCLA and say...Bumfuck University is that the houses and cars they got didn't come with John Wooden at practice...

You wanna piss a UCLA fan off...mention Wooden being a cheat...lmfao...you'd think you walked over his open grave...

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It is a crock of shit. It would be like comparing the WNBA to the NBA. No comparison at all.The competition isn't as great. You don't have the amount of great teams and great players in women's basketball as compared to men's and while I have no problem with the streak being talked about, to compare it to one of the greatest streaks in men's sports is just idiotic. Uconn was getting plenty of press and coverage on ESPN about the streak without the jackass coach running his mouth. Now that he opened his yap I think even more people really don't care now, he should have just kept his mouth shut.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I would love for Bobby Knight to open up about this shit...I can't fathom he'd have many nice things to say about that fucking piece of shit...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't find the lining of pockets relevant to today's basketball, because it happens at every university today. I guarantee you that if you did off the boards homework at any major university (Duke included) today, you could find someone that knows of someone getting paid. It's a fact of life. What's amazing is that it only slips out a couple of times a year...if that. Boosters did this at every school, and trust me when I say that in nearly every year that UCLA won a title, there were other teams with talent as big and bad as they. Maybe not as consistent over the years at UCLA because of the draw at the time...but they were there...for sure.

As for Coach K, do you really think that the well padded pockets of the Duke boosters don't pad the pocket of Duke's recruiting classes year after year? What about Roy Williams and UNC? If there is a major university without this shit going on?

Now, I do agree with you that Coach K may be just as good a coach...but I don't think you can knock Wooden for practices that were running balls out wild all over the country. Living here in Tobacco Road, there are rumors yearly about all these fucking coaches and their boosters. 15 years from now, I guarantee you that some names will pop up, as they do for nearly every coach, of boosters they likely had nothing to do with. Players wanted to play for Wooden, and it didn't hurt that they got paid to do it. The only difference between UCLA and say...Bumfuck University is that the houses and cars they got didn't come with John Wooden at practice...

You wanna piss a UCLA fan off...mention Wooden being a cheat...lmfao...you'd think you walked over his open grave...
    After watching ESPN's 30 on 30 about SMU football the other day, I am not so sure the "everyone cheats" argument is valid. Alot do, mostly thru boosters obviously. But most boosters can't keep their mouths shut. It's human nature. Word would get out and all you need is one disgruntled recruit to run to the media and its over. Could you imagine the field day the media would have if there was a sniff of impropriety at Duke or UNC. Look at what they did to Indiana over a few phone calls.

As far as Wooden goes, I am not saying he cheated, he knew Sam Gilbert or anything. All I am saying, if someone were to pay the best high school players in the country to play for me., I'D be a genus too.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The whores lost...

...and now I have to fucking watch that blazing red blinking BREAKING NEWS TICKER ALL FUCKING GAME LONG...

LIKE IT'S FUCKING NEWS!!!!

IT'S DYKE BASKETBALL!!!!! NOBODY FUCKING CARES!!!!

But fuck it...we're going to have our own Connecticut Women's Basketball Thread...because ESPN tells me so....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Holy fuck...they just broke into the game to announce it!!!!

Fuck you espn....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Holy fuck...they just broke into the game to announce it!!!!

Fuck you espn....

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bwwwwwwwaaaaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa!!! !!!!

It's about fucking time those bitches got beat! That oughta shut their douchebag coach's piehole for the time being.

Thread Information