Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave couldn't really sing & constantly for got forgot lyrics...

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Dave couldn't really sing & constantly for got forgot lyrics...

You often here people say this about Dave.
    Now for the past week various shows from the Stones were on VH-1 Classic. Talk about not singing and saying all the lyrics, you can barely understand Mick but yet he's voted the #1 front-man??

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Must Be Really Cold In PA.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Agreed. Honestly, Dave "forgot the lyrics" and "had no voice" in no greater amount than a lot of other singers. Honestly, for me, it's always been about the show anyway, and I never really sat around counting the amount of times the singer missed something so long as the show itself was good - and who in the fuck can argue that classic Van Halen wasn't one of the greatest shows ever known to man?
    Twistin' by the pool.

The Reverend
    Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anybody who sez Dave couldn't sing should listen to his vocal track from 'Running With The Devil. Sure he wasn't a soprano, but the fire and grit he possessed was top notch and second to none. The voice is a difficult instrument as you're always at the mercy of your diet and health. I don't think many realize the physical work that it takes. I'm surprised that Dave's shrieking lasted til his 'Little Ain't Enough' tour. That's many years of belting out those screams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNJNCazmNnI

Corvette Driver
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What most of the people doesn't know is that Dave change things live on purpose
    he likes to entertain himself as well by doing it , skipping some parts yes he forgets the lyrics
    its true but he likes to modify, Jagger did the same exact thing , and i do, so i know what they are doing.
    Its fun ,pure fun, im a lead singer and yes i remember when i saw the US Festival some of my friends
    were very dissapointed because Dave couldn't sing and was changing parts here and there.
    And i was saying this is pure genious but they don't understand because they don't have any idea how and why ...
    For example , the screams are not actual screams , its a harmonic and i can do it very very good and have been doing that since '96 or so,i haven't tour near as much as Dave but they are not like i did in '98. Voice changes,your vocal chords
    change,its inevitable,we are all humans.

Custard Pie Chewer
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, being a frontman isn't exactly directly correlated with singing talent. Jagger's one example. Where did Ozzy rank on that list? Fuck, you can't even call that guy a singer. And I'll bet James LaBrie and Klaus Meine weren't on that list, even though, from a technical perspective, those guys were much better singers. Jagger could give Keef a Hot Karl on stage, and as long as he did his little swishy bits and sang the hits, people would walk away still thinking they witnessed the birth of Christ.

Honestly, how many frontmen REALLY combine technical singing prowess with stage presence? Freddie Mercury, for sure, although I've never really listened to much live Queen. Plant was great, but his voice could be kinda spotty. Axl coulda, but was far too inconsistent.

All in all, I'd much rather watch/listen to Roth/Daltrey/Morrison than most of the guys that were known for having pipes. Attitude, grit, and not being tone-deaf. That's what I seek in my singers.
    Last edited by WildTurkey; 12-22-2010 at 04:40 PM.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    geoff tate - the hip swishin' stuff mostly
    Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 12-22-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: weed is good
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloscda View Post
    Now for the past week various shows from the Stones were on VH-1 Classic. Talk about not singing and saying all the lyrics, you can barely understand Mick but yet he's voted the #1 front-man??
    There's a reason Jagger got the #1 front man vote.......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave couldn't really sing & constantly for got forgot lyrics...

Quote Originally Posted by Carloscda View Post
    I "often" hear complete ass-hats say that type of thing......no one else....case in point

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    To clear things up, I'm not saying Dave couldn't sing, just repeating what others have said!

I'll take his singing/showmanship over anyone of the other top 10 front-men!!
    And anyone that's a true Dave/Van Halen fan knows that was part of the show/ad-lib if you will!

I've always said if you want to hear exactly what on the record don't go to a live show!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Calderone View Post
    its a harmonic and i can do it very very good and have been doing that since '96 or so,
    Too bad the rest of your vocal abilities are, well...ummm...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Because dweebs like you voted 1000 times each ??

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Because dweebs like you voted 1000 times each ??

Nah, I wouldn't do that.

Of course I might vote for Mick 200 times and Dave 200 times, just to counter the little ignorant shits who would vote for Jackoff White or Justin Timberlake, or whatever other talentless shitbag of the past decade who always seems to have artificially high rankings on these lists.

Of course that's not the case here, since I don't even know who the Hell this was who published the list this thread is allegedly referring to.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post

The reason for Jagger is time line. He's been shouting lyrics and struttin like a chicken for 40 years. It's bound to worthy of a #1, if not for endurance alone...

But in all reality, he simply can't compare to this man is his prime...
    Last edited by Diamondjimi; 12-22-2010 at 08:33 PM.
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dupe post...
    Last edited by Diamondjimi; 12-22-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The thing with Jagger is that around 1981 or so, live he sung less and less, instead opting for shouting out the lyrics. This began to spill over onto his recorded work as well.

With everything else Roth was doing onstage, singing was but one part of it. Was pretty amazing to hear 1980 boots with the band doing Outta Love Again, where Roth was nailing all those screams dead-on...a lot more diversity in his vocal delivery than he gets credit for: how many rock singers can display a rich, full low register, a solid mid range and high-octave screams (often in the same song)?
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I always hated Mick. Then I saw the Stones play at the LA Coliseum with Guns n' Roses opening up. (Living Color too) 1989

H O L Y SHIT! The guy WAS the show. The guy has so much energy, is so emotional with each song, and connects with the fans in a way I had never experienced before. Since that night I have seen the Stones about 5 more times. Always an event, not just a concert. I can't say enough about Mick now. But one live show changed my mind forever. The guy is fucking spectacular.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For got forgot ???

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    For got forgot ???

Riiiiight.......

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Classic VH live was an event, a party, a circus, a sideshow... it was part pop, part vaudville, part rock marinated in Jack Daniels, pussy and whatever was in the kitchen.

One didn't go to the Van Halen theater to listen to the fine vocal performances. You went for the party and the vibe. Singing quality and proper lyrics were tiny parts of a much, much bigger explosion on stage.

If you were there (78-85) you got it... No one complained of the singing quality from a VH show. If you grew up a couple decades later and cut your teeth on the interweb experiencing a VH show on your computer through crappy 2 inch speakers or ear buds... oh well sorry you missed the boat. Blame your parents for short changing you...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave's vocal ability both on stage and in the studio was nothing short of amazing...period !!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    ZahZoo said it right. It truly was all about the 'vibe'. I have seen some amazing concerts in my life, but nothing like VH from 1978 to 1984.

You had to be there.

spEd has two choices. He can spend the remainder of his life jacking off on Howdy Doody mountain, NOT GIVING A FUCK ABOUT THE FANS THAT GAVE HIM EVERY FUCKING THING HE HAS, or he can give the fans what they want.

What the fuck is so fucking difficult about releasing some DVDs of shows back in the day?

Case in point: The Jimi Hendrix legacy.

Experience Hendrix LLC is STILL TO THIS DAY unearthing hidden visual gems. Film of Jimi that nobody ever knew existed. Film that people thought was completely lost.

Just recently, they announced they will be releasing film of Jimi performing at the Miami Pop Festival. I mean, WTF?

At least THEY understand the demand is there. I don't give a fuck how out of tune Jimi was, how fucked up he was, etc. If there is film of him, I want it. WHY? BECAUSE HE IS FUCKING DEAD AND I WILL NEVER GET TO SEE HIM IN MY LIFE!

How does this relate to spEd?

CVH IS HISTORY. Little 4-year-old spEd is all mad at Mikey.

"Hims makes me cry! I no talk to him no more! WAAAAAH!"

We will most likely never see CVH again! It was a miracle they even toured with Dave!

As a result, I want any full length concert vid of THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN I can get my hands on!

That watered down shit with Spamulus Flatulus and Gayree Sharona is not worth shit. It is the once great Van Halen turned into a re-heated leftover of a lame pop-band.

Since I cannot see the original Fearsome Foursome going on tour destroying sold-out arenas, I have to console myself with DVDs.

If the fucking pussy won't release anything official, I will have to settle for bootlegs, but goddammit, I would love to have a digitally remastered Oakland '81 show in 5.1 surround sound on Blu-Ray! And I don't even yet have a Blu-Ray player!

Today's youth simply can't comprehend what it meant to go to a REAL CVH show with the REAL CLASSIC VAN HALEN! It is because of the saturation of media....a concert is no big deal. They just go to YouTube and they can see everything and they think they know what it's all about.

How wrong they are.

I think back to the 4 shows I saw with the Mighty Van Halen, and I think to myself: "I WAS THERE. I SAW THEM! I WAS FUCKING THERE AND THEY KICKED MY MUTHAFUCKING ASS!".

Out of all the concert experiences of my life, witnessing CVH in concert was the pinnacle. It was the best. It encapsulated everything a rock concert was supposed to be.

A fucking amazing hard rock party band that was there to blow your mind, and create a party atmosphere like no other band could.

It is no wonder that Jeff Spicoli hired Van Halen to play his birthday party.

End rant here.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It always cracks me up when The Diamond One gets slammed for his vocal ability. Fact is, very few cover bands incorporate classic VH into their song lists because it is very difficult for their singers to cop Dave's distinctive voice.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not only that, again, as I have said many times, most singers just sing. Dave was not the Master Of Ceremonies for nothing! Not only was he cool in his in-between song raps, but he brought a level of excitement to the role of 'frontman', that I have only seen with one other singer in my life, and that was Rob Halford. Though Halford's voice was so fucking astonishing back in the day, that was what truly freaked everyone out.

Now if you had a Hedonistic Master Of Ceremonies who could sing like Halford, you would have the ultimate vocalist/frontman.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I love DLR but he's no Sammy Hagar!
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBayLA View Post
    I love DLR but he's no Sammy Hagar!

I'm thankful every day for that.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sammy Hagar's voice sounds too pressed almost constantly when he's singing Van Halen Songs.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Sammy Hagar's voice sounds too pressed almost constantly when he's singing Van Halen Songs.
    It was like he intentionally thought he had to screech his way through the tunes when he joined Van Halen...his pre-VH solo stuff wasn't anything earth-shattering by any means, but he didn't often employ that mannerism of wailing like an annoying cat in heat at 3AM on those solo records, either.

When Roth split and the reports of Hagar joining the band came out, I was at least hopeful the band would continue to put out music I liked and I had high expectations they would do so. Back then Eddie Van Halen could do no wrong as far as I was concerned, and what I had heard from Hagar prior to him joining wasn't anything that made me think it was automatically gonna be a bad fit. Sure, I would have preferred if Dave was still in the group, but he quit.

The seemingly odd part was how virtually every review from the mainstream rock press fell all over themselves to compliment the new Van Halen lineup after 5150 was released. Looking back, I guess it wasn't so odd in that most of those reviewers never cared for Roth, blathering about how his lyrics were about nothing other than getting laid and how "Dave can't sing well enough to compliment the level of Eddie's abilities" and the like. These people actually liked the bland, trite pop rock Van Hagar brought to the table over what CVH had done.

Ugh.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Back then Eddie Van Halen could do no wrong as far as I was concerned...
    Back then Eddie pissed me off by trashing Dave in the press and after I heard "do doot do doot do, do do do" I knew VH as a rock band was over.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBayLA View Post
    Back then Eddie pissed me off by trashing Dave in the press and after I heard "do doot do doot do, do do do" I knew VH as a rock band was over.
    Roth, at least, generally restricted his comments toward what he saw as personality faults of his former bandmates; he was always careful not to comment that the music he made with Van Halen sucked and what he was creating as a solo artist was better.

The Van Halens kept making statements that basically claimed Roth was the weak link and therefore the music had always suffered to a degree, emphasising that what they were gonna do with Hagar was gonna be so much better than what the band had ever done previously. Even Hagar was jumping onboard with these claims before a single note of new music had been released. The band, in effect, was telling their fanbase that the music they had enjoyed was somehow second-rate. An odd way of dealing with Roth's departure in terms of endearing themselves to their fans.

bum in the sun
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The voice is a difficult instrument as you're always at the mercy of your diet and health.

Joints and cheeseburgers made those rusty pipes rock. So the rumor goes.

And might I just add that this has been one of the most impressive threads yet. I view regularly, never post. This one deserves a bravo. Don't ruin it GARfunkle

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just realized something I forgot to mention in my previous post.

The thing that is missing from seeing a CVH show on DVD is the feedback loop between 12-60,000 people in the audience, and four people on stage.

On a DVD all you are seeing is a crowd of people screaming at the band. You don't have that real-time feedback loop that amplifies the vibe exponentially.

The crowd gets off on the band. The band gets off on the crowd.
    The crowd goes apeshit on the band. The band goes berserk.
    The crowd begins tearing up the venue.

And the band plays on....

THAT is the vibe that is missing from DVDs. And from all Spamulus Flatulus-related performances.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For the critics who say Dave cant sing check out easy street on the ep, that should put all doubters to rest. To me anyone slamming Dave was just word

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Medium Pimpin
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I've heard it many times myself......

I can't stand hearing Hagar lovers that try to republicanize that argument by repeating it so often they actually start believing it themselves. They constantly ignore his range which is quite impressive actually. If you take notice you'll hear he's actually developed a lower register that he never used in VH and he seems to have improved his higher register in full voice also. He may not be able to hit those sustained RWD screams anymore but he has extended his range as this demonstrates:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R5ghsgN1IiQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R5ghsgN1IiQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

He gets far too little respect because his voice isn't as overbearing like Freddie Mercury, Bruce Dickinson, or Rob Halford. And I think I just made up a new word.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It doesn't matter if we have some argument over who technically has better range and a better voice. I like Daves voice just the way it is. It sounds great to me and I fucking enjoy the hell out of listening to the man. Most people here agree. So even if there were some way to measure the technical aspects of his voice, and the results said he sucked...it would not matter.

It sounds good when I listen to it, and the sound makes me happy. Period.

If you don't like it, please don't waste your valuable time listening to something you do not enjoy or trying to break it down & decipher it. Life is way too short. Listen to what you like and skip what you don't.

Easy as pie.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sammy Hagar has a two-dimensional voice; mid range whine and an annoying scream. I'm flummoxed as to how so many people construe that to mean he's a more dynamic vocalist than Roth.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Plus Roth has a good swing-feel.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Sammy Hagar has a two-dimensional voice; mid range whine and an annoying scream. I'm flummoxed as to how so many people construe that to mean he's a more dynamic vocalist than Roth.
    Tubby McHagar has no soul in his "singing"...

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Tubby McHagar has no soul in his "singing"...
    damn right. it's an annoying screech at best.

Thread Information