Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

EVH Wolfgang Special Electric Guitar Review

Stumbled upon this....

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...ar_Review.aspx

The name Eddie Van Halen stands for a lot more than just otherworldly guitar playing. It’s also synonymous with technical innovation and intuition, and for good reason. Eddie’s keen sense for the building blocks of tone not only helped revolutionize the way that people played guitar, but how they built them.

Eddie’s name has graced a few excellent signature products throughout the years that reflect his innovative spirit. But now Eddie has a brand all his own. And with the cooperation of Fender Musical Instruments, the EVH brand has thrived, releasing the 5150 III amplifier and the Wolfgang electric guitar. The American-made Wolfgang was a major success, prompting the release of a less expensive model crafted in Japan—the EVH Wolfgang Special.

A Rose By Any Other Name
    The Wolfgang Special is very similar to its American-made cousin in several ways. The body is lightweight basswood with a very attractive grain that’s capped with a Tobacco Burst finished maple veneer instead of the carved, ½” thick maple top that adorns the USA model. The veneer is impressive. Moving it about in the light revealed a noticeable depth that I tend to see in high-quality caps and slab bodies.

The quartersawn maple neck was equally impressive, and topped off with an AA birdseye maple fingerboard. In terms of specifications, this neck is essentially the same as the American model, all the way down to the compound radius of 12” to 16”. The unfinished texture of the neck felt wonderful—evoking thoughts of a well-worn Louisville Slugger. That being said, the neck’s size sat more at the midpoint between fat and thin. Meaty enough to grip, but thin enough to enable quick movement all over the fretboard. Eddie’s love of stainless steel vintage fretwire gives the Wolfgang Special accents the old school, hot-rodded guitar feel. More simply, this is one of the finest necks that I’ve come across in quite some time. The precision installation of the fretwire and shape the neck was remarkable, and the combination of the size of the wire, neck profile, radius and bare wood are clearly optimized for the rock player.

Signal output comes from the same two EVH brand humbuckers that are featured in its USA-made cousin, and are screwed directly into the body to help increase sustain and punch. An EVH-branded Floyd Rose locking vibrato system is matched with Eddie’s famous D-Tuna invention for instant dropped-D tuning—making the guitar feel and look almost identical to its higher-priced brethren, minus the carved maple top and multi-ply body binding.

Drop Dead Tone
    The overall tone of the Wolfgang Special can be summed up in a general sense as balanced, yet bright. Eddie himself once commented that he never really thought of his sound as “brown” but as bright and authoritative. The Wolfgang Special reflects that school of thought—barking with a razor sharp, stinging quality when pumped through a Dave Friedman-modded Jet City JCAH-BES head. Even though the bridge pickup—rated at 14k—was pretty hot, it was crystal clear when playing big, open chords and heavy riff work.

All of the guitars in the EVH line have their three-way pickup selector switches wired backwards, meaning that the bridge pickup is on when the switch in the up position, and the neck pickup is active when the switch is flipped down. The wiring is an odd signature feature that Eddie is fond of, but I simply found it irritating. It’s easy enough to enlist in a capable tech to reverse the switch, but a shame that many players will want to change the wiring right off the bat.

The neck pickup displayed remarkable clarity and definition. When I dropped the guitar’s tone and volume controls to lower the output, the highs would naturally dissipate while the cutting quality of the pickups remained. I loved having this capacity at my fingertips—particularly since it evoked Eddie’s killer breakdown section in “Panama.”

The pickups’ true tonal nature really shone through when playing the amp clean, and were almost hi-fi sounding in comparison to a lot of other pickups on the market. While most hot pickups will push the amp’s preamp into overdrive fairly easily, the Wolfgang Special’s pickups just enhanced the clean punch of the amp. They had a big, three-dimensional sound that was very present, though at times it required some high-end frequency attenuation from the amp’s treble control. Hot and rocking these pickups might be, they are far from one-trick ponies.

The Verdict
    The purpose of the EVH line of guitars was to capture the best of Eddie Van Halen’s design concepts and refine those features in a sleek, highly playable electric guitar that anyone can own and experience. The Wolfgang Special succeeds on all counts at a price that’s even more accessible than its American-made brother. The neck is terrific in every sense of the word, with a smooth, comfortable finish and impeccable fretwork. And the pickups are powerful and precise, yet brash with an unrelenting nature. This instrument was meant to be loud and proud— just as it should be with those legendary initials adorning its headstock.

Buy if...
    you’re after a solid rock-oriented guitar with a great, comfortable neck and star pedigree
    Skip if...
    you need a subtler, more subdued tone.
    Rating...
    4 of 5
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Nice! Thanks for posting that... I have an EVH MM and 2 Peavey Wolfgangs - I'd love to get my hands on a new EVH Wolf, but they're priced out of my reach for now..
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries

Nitro Express

I bought a Peavey Wolfgang years ago just out of curiosity. To be honest, I didn't like it to begin with but the guitar grew on me to the point it's my main axe now. The more your break in these guitars the better they get. I opened up the electronics cover and everything was wired top notch with high quality wire and all the solder joints shrink wrapped. Most guitars including some high end ones aren't wired that well.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I bought a Peavey Wolfgang years ago just out of curiosity. To be honest, I didn't like it to begin with but the guitar grew on me to the point it's my main axe now. The more your break in these guitars the better they get. I opened up the electronics cover and everything was wired top notch with high quality wire and all the solder joints shrink wrapped. Most guitars including some high end ones aren't wired that well.
    I have an 01 Seafoam standard and a 99 goldtop special and love them both... To me they're very comfortable and easy to play..

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    They are versatile guitars. With the volume full on through a cranked amp they growl and squeal but back the volume knob off and it cleans up and sparkles. It's like having a Gibson and Fender all in one. Plus, the Wolfie can get some nice Telecaster type tones. I love the thing.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Very amp friendly as well. I can play through any amp and sound good.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I was playing my SG and then broke a string and grabbed the Wolfgang and holy fuck, it seemed alive after playing that Gibson. Into three songs with it I was thinking this fucker plays itself. So little effort and the harmonics just jump out of these guitars.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

I saw this guitar on the rack at my local chain music store (Long & McQuade)this evening. I grabbed it by the neck and I recoiled in horror. The fucking fret edges were pointy and sharp, on every goddamn fret. I was disgusted thinking, how the fuck did this turd make it through Q.C.???
    The neck had these shitty assed medium gauge frets. And the flat top is lame ... For 1,100 bucks?... they can fuckin blow me..
    Once again Ed. Enough with the gearwhoring and give us a new album!!!
    Last edited by Diamondjimi; 12-30-2010 at 11:58 PM.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    That's what killed me on the EVH gear... price.

The finer points of Ed's design are nice little things... but nothing break-thru... just minor tweeks of existing technology. Definately nothing to command the current pricing. Especially an off-shore knock-off. Had they been priced in the $500-600 range I might give it a look. $1000 or over... I won't even pick one up off the rack.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Exactly!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The Peavey ones were good. I played a lot of those and they all were very consistent. I was working for Hewlett-Packard in Boise, Idaho when they first came out and I knew a guy there that was a Peavey dealer. He said the problem with them is they would ship out of the humid South and come to dry Idaho and he had to let the guitar adjust to the air and then retune and maybe tweak the truss rod. He didn't like the none finished necks because they had problems that way.

I finished my neck with tung oil when I bought mine.

I thought the prices on the Peavey's were a tad steep but holy hell, the Fenders are robbery and from what it sounds like the quality is not up to par. I haven't checked out the Fenders yet. I say if you want one get a Peavey on Ebay or a Musicman Axis. Those are good as well.

Thread Information