Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-08-2020 @ 05:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Angry Dan & Tom: Enough Reagan

DAN & TOM: ENOUGH REAGAN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
    Print Reprint

June 9, 2004 -- DAN Rather and Tom Brokaw work for dif ferent networks but agree one thing — coverage of Ronald Reagan's death has been excessive, they say.
    "Even though everybody is respectful and wants to pay homage to the president, life does go on," Rather told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

"There is other news, like the reality of Iraq," said the "CBS Evening News" anchor. "It got very short shrift this weekend."

Networks have been going almost wall-to-wall with coverage since Reagan passed away Saturday at the age of 93. The former president was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease nearly 10 years ago.

"Once the herd starts moving in one direction, it's very hard to turn it, even slightly," Rather said. "Nationally, the herd has grown tremendously."

"I think just about everything is over-covered these days," said Brokaw, who anchors the "NBC Nightly News." "The spectrum is so crowded. With all the cable networks, it begins to have a 'video wall' feeling to it."

Jennings said he had mixed feelings about the Reagan coverage.

"I'm more inclined to spare coverage — come on [the air], do something meaningful, then get away," he said.

"The last time I had to do it was with O.J. Simpson [during the 1994 car chase], and I had nothing to say after a certain period of time."

Coverage of Reagan's death will continue through Friday's funeral on all the news networks (broadcast and cable). — Post TV Staff

What about enough Abu-Garhib. Didn't hear ol' Tommy & Danny Boy clamoring for their people to shut up about all the prison abuse. Now we have a different story and it just chaps their hides that it isn't damaging the administration. Bunch of cry-baby pansies! Move on, assholes!!!

Last edited by Lqskdiver; 06-09-2004 at 09:45 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

So you're saying that the BCE breaking the law by torturing prisoners of war is not a big story, but the death of one man deserves 24 hour coverage for an entire week??
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-30-2010 @ 09:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Did JFK jr really need a week and a half full-time coverage?

Tom is right, things do get over-reported. But, it is a week of mourning. Reagan doesn't need the full news broadcast, but his memorial should still be reported on and as on of the top stories until he's in the ground. They complain about it now like this, but it's all about ratings and trust me, if doing another week of Reagan memorials got one of them higher rating than the other, they'd still do it.

I do find it a little disrespectful that they all decided to come out about this "unhappiness" with the memorial of a former President. Republican OR Democrat, I don't think that's right. Wait til after it's over and then go, "hey guys, this 24/7 news environment we now have fucks up reporting..."

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 03:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

gotta agree with ally on this one.

LQ, it is a little different with the prisoner abuse story.

reagan dying is news, but it's something we've all expected for a few years now. it's not a shock. it's natural. it's something we KNEW was going to happen. if not today, then next week, 2 years from now, or 8. but it was definite.

the prisoner abuse story wasn't just unexpected; it had more ramifications.

however, like ally, i think that AFTER the events is the better time to note the coverage of "these type of events" can be a little excessive. or simply argue privately to the news editors to change up the news stories.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My comment was really towards the hyprocracy of D & T on commenting on what is "newsworthy" when they themselves on are guilty of milking every ounce of rating points of a much covered event.

BREAKING NEWS:
    We have more photos of events that transpired at Abu Gharib...more prisoner abuse.

We get it. They got abused. Some soldiers were already indicted and serving and yet these ANONYMOUS photos were still resurfacing. And it was reported that most of these ATROCITIES were committed during a weeks period back in November after suffering heavy casualties on the American side, mind you.

You know, I get the need for networks to report Reagan's death until his final burial. But if nothing else comes out that can take away the spotlight, why bitch about it.

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-22-2024 @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think either is being disrespectful in what they are saying. Brokaw was good friends with Reagan.

I have to agree, our media takes a story and covers the shit out of it, essentially removing any of the pertinance of it.

lucky wilbury
    what the two idiots are really saying is we want to get back to bashing bush

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 03:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Lqskdiver
    My comment was really towards the hyprocracy of D & T on commenting on what is "newsworthy" when they themselves on are guilty of milking every ounce of rating points of a much covered event.

BREAKING NEWS:
    We have more photos of events that transpired at Abu Gharib...more prisoner abuse.

We get it. They got abused. Some soldiers were already indicted and serving and yet these ANONYMOUS photos were still resurfacing. And it was reported that most of these ATROCITIES were committed during a weeks period back in November after suffering heavy casualties on the American side, mind you.

all right, then. i hear ya.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Exactly! Today's Woodward & Bernstein are really out to slam W with whatever ammunition they can find. It's so fucking apparent!

The fact that Reagan's death is dominating the coverage and not a scrap of scoop on W is just too frustrating.

Do they report that Kerry's campaign manager feared Reagan's death for years because he felt that it would become W's verifer for the election? Or how about the hate op-eds being written by hate-mongers and idiot artists who spew bile at their concerts OVERSEAS?

I would think that was newsworthy!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by FORD
    So you're saying that the BCE breaking the law by torturing prisoners of war.
    Torture ??

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Originally posted by ELVIS
    Torture ??
    Yes, torture. Maybe you tape electrical wires to your balls for fun and get into nude pyramids with a bunch of other guys, but most people probably wouldn't enjoy it.

And let's not forget some of those pictures showed corpses. That's beyond "abuse", that's murder.

Thread Information