Seriously, who buys Nickelback and Daughtery?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Seriously, who buys Nickelback and Daughtery?

I've been listening to the new local station they have set up out here which is like a bob/dave FM clone, and have enjoyed about 95% of the stuff that is played. I'm a sucker for old pop songs and like the fact they toss in a few classic rock songs in as well, makes it quite listenable.

One draw back? you stumble on about around every..5 or so songs the bland "Safe" rock that has been released the past 10 years or so, Nickelback, Maroon 5, Matchbox 20, modern day Carlos Santana..etc.

I'm really trying to figure out who buys this stuff, seriously, is there some intense demand for really bland rock and roll out there?

Is there anything of value to glean from the latest Nickelback and Hinder albums?
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team
  • sonrisa salvaje
    Veteran
    • Jun 2005

Unfortunately, my wife buys this stuff. She also thinks the 90's music was the greatest of all times.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Etienne
      Commando
      • Aug 2010

Kids who grown up with these and pay for music...

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
        Unfortunately, my wife buys this stuff. She also thinks the 90's music was the greatest of all times.
        I'm guessing that's what you get for having a younger wife.

I'd be more worried if it was Hannah Montana.

Comment

• Blaze
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

When I have heard before on this board, derogatory statements concerning Nickelback's music I always think, "Wait a second, Nickelback is a good band." Nonetheless, I can't think of any songs.
          I think, "Hey, I like Nickelback", but I really can't remember them, but my not remembering is not significant.
          I am sure I like them, though.

I can only recall one Kiss song and that is Beth, it played yesterday and the announcer said it was Kiss when it played.
          "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
          sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

I think Matchbox is pretty good too, but I don't recall.
            "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
            sigpic

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              I'm guessing that's what you get for having a younger wife.

Hmm. Subjected to Nickleback but getting younger pussy. More than a fair trade-off I would say.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Blaze
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Maroon 5, I do not recall being a good band (or really a bad band). I would not select them over Nickelback, though, but again, I do not recall. And Daughtery I have only some sort of vague recollection of a haircut for some reason. I would not have placed the name Daughtery with music. I would have placed him as an actor.
                Last edited by Blaze; 01-06-2011, 07:20 PM. Reason: clarification
                sigpic

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Fresh college grads with degrees in psychology/sociology who drive Honda or Kia SUV's raised by parents who primarily listened to James Taylor or Neil Young and think that listening to Maroon 5 is somehow rebellious.

Comment

• Dan
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

I Have No Problems Listerning To Any Of These bands.
                    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Apr 2005

I tried to like some of this stuff but it just dosen't work for me.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

People who don't really like music.

That's not meant to sound snobby. Maybe for fans of those bands music is something to have on in the background at home, or in the car; something to dance around to on a night out. For them it's purely about entertainment, a cheap pick-me-up if you will. There's no emotional investment or need for catharsis in music for them - I used to think it was because they didn't have the emotional capacity to 'get' it. but I now just think that they must just experience it elsewhere.

For those of us who love music, who are familiar with the history of rock music and contextualize where those bands sit in it, they don't do much for us. It's that simple. If all you've ever known is MacDonalds, you'll think it's good food.
                        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

The one that really, really baffles me is Coldplay.

There is no emotional depth there. It's all contrived - the musical equivalent of magnolia.
                          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2005

I just find these bands boring. I try to listen and act somewhat interested but i rarely find anything i can get into. When i find a riff or a groove i can get into, some half brained chorus comes along and kills it. As Sesh and Sadaist pointed out, it is not the end of the world (wink. wink.)
                            RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                            LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Blaze
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

You do not like magnolias? : puzzled: that is one of the most ambrosial flowers.

sigpic

Comment

Working...