View Poll Results: What song shouldbe on the upcoming new Halen album?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let's Get Rockin'

3 25.00%
  • Big Trouble

3 25.00%
  • I'm So Glad

4 33.33%
  • She's The Woman

2 16.67%

Thread: Poll - What unreleased tunes/covers should be on new Van Halen release for 2011?

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Poll - What unreleased tunes/covers should be on new Van Halen release for 2011?

I think there is at least 6 known unreleased tunes that should make the 2011 album in some form.

Going back it is amazing to see how many of the six pack songs came from stuff on the Gene Simmons demos. Maybe Ed does really have six albums in the can as he claims
    Roth Army Canada

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I Think He said He had 10 Albums Worth of Stuff.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bullet head !! Freaking great tune !!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Love this song:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hVWneDWAqa0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hVWneDWAqa0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Are there really any good songs that weren't somehow cannibalized into other songs on one of their albums. Such as Mean Street which was a combination of two old songs "Voodoo Queen" and "She's The Woman". Or "Down In Flames" which should have been on VHII, but was pulled at the 11th hour for the cover version of "You're No Good", even though the music used was essentially the same.

I'm not sure they could really make something like "Put Out The Lights" or "Babe Don't Leave Me Alone" work now, as those songs really sound dated and don't have the timeless quality of the songs on the "Six Pack". There's a reason those songs never made it to any of the albums.... they just weren't as good.

Better than Van Hagar, yes. Better than the shit on the radio today, absolutely. But comparatively weak by Van Halen standards.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sorry,I Went With,Put Out The Lights.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Big Trouble and Let's Get Rockin could be great tunes

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Fuck yeah...
    forgot about this smokin tune!!!!

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Are there really any good songs that weren't somehow cannibalized into other songs on one of their albums. Such as Mean Street which was a combination of two old songs "Voodoo Queen" and "She's The Woman". Or "Down In Flames" which should have been on VHII, but was pulled at the 11th hour for the cover version of "You're No Good", even though the music used was essentially the same.

I'm not sure they could really make something like "Put Out The Lights" or "Babe Don't Leave Me Alone" work now, as those songs really sound dated and don't have the timeless quality of the songs on the "Six Pack". There's a reason those songs never made it to any of the albums.... they just weren't as good.

Better than Van Hagar, yes. Better than the shit on the radio today, absolutely. But comparatively weak by Van Halen standards.

I think they can pull something off with any of those old tunes with todays technology and make them sound good enuff to release .....and not sound "outdated"

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There are many.
    One More Time, No More Waiting, Bullethead of course as mentioned, Eyes of the Night has some good moves. And we never heard outtakes from 84(Any Time Any Place)..many never made it to us in boot form.
    Big Trouble is a good one that didn't have parts that got reworked. Even putting 79th and sunset on the new album would be great.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You forgot the "None" category, Flamma.....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Down in flames"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3kCj0VfD22o?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3kCj0VfD22o?fs=1&amp;hl=fr_FR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Last edited by vaijuju; 01-07-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    All new material on one CD, reworked old tunes and covers on the second. Does that work?

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post
    All new material on one CD, reworked old tunes and covers on the second. Does that work?
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe a third with some US Festival and Oakland shows and we have a box set.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Can't agree with FORD on this one, much as I respect his opinion so much of the time.

I think there were some great tunes on the original demos (ZERO and '77) that could have made another entire good album. PUT OUT THE LIGHTS always had a great groove to me. Maybe with some better lyrics, it could really kick with modern production and a cranking car stereo. BIG TROUBLE has always been one of the "tunes that got away", as far as I'm concerned. I remember reading that they actually recorded a proper version of that for DIVER DOWN. Great song. LET'S GET ROCKIN' has moronic lyrics (for Dave, anyway) but with new lyrics...hell, it's an amazing piece of hard rock. SHE'S THE WOMAN is awesome...but obviously would need a new middle-eight.

The point is, using some of these old riffs and turning them into new songs would keep some of the vitality and old school feel in the new songs. If they did maybe two of these old songs and ten new originals, the album would more than sit nicely with the six-pack.

But I guess I'm one of those fans with a lot of faith. The two '96 songs really worked for me...ME WISE MAGIC is still my favorite Van Halen song of all time.

After hearing the three new songs (with Shambo moron) on BEST OF BOTH WORLDS (no, I didn't buy the fucker), I remember thinking that Eddie was in a rut. Totally uninteresting tracks. Nothing original. Shabby production. But the lyrics and melodies (and the shitty vocalist) brought them down more than anything. Eddie's sobered up since. His playing on the 2007 tour was certainly much more inspired than the clips of boots I saw from 2004 when he seemed an uninspired mess. I definitely have faith in a solid new album...especially since Dave is notorious for only singing on Eddie material that is really worthwhile. Eddie used to brag that Sammy could sing on anything he threw his way. But that wasn't a talent. That was simply Sammy not knowing what the idea of quality control was.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not in favour of recording tunes written 30+ years ago for a new record.

I don't want the record to sound like '78='84: it should have the spirit of CVH but also be a reflection of the guys as they are now. Attempting to re-capture former glories will feel contrived at best and be a pastiche at worst.

This kind of material should come out in a box set.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

um...yeah
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think he should put that tuba solo on there he was always talking about. The new Eruption!

Seriously though, why rework old tunes when Ed's tone today isn't anywhere near what it was back then? It wouldn't sound right.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll judge it when I hear it.
    I brought my pencil!!!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Let's get Rockin'

not just because it's a great song....but because it's about time they DID.....(again)

so...

LET'S

GET

ROCKIN'!!!!
    “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    so, dave called and asked for some ideas for new song names and maybe some lyrical tidbits. feel free to post 'em here, he's gonna check 'em after the packer game. huge green bay fan, that roth is.
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    I voted for Let's get Rockin but yeah I forgot about Bullet Head. I would really like to see VH release a CD of all their 70s unreleased songs and alternate versions (such as House of Pain 1976). They could call it Demo Days or The Lost Recordings and include comments from all original members, ancedotes and rare photos. Eddie and Dave were at a creative peak in the 70s and much of that stuff could live on any of their classic albums...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post

I don't want the record to sound like '78='84: it should have the spirit of CVH but also be a reflection of the guys as they are now. Attempting to re-capture former glories will feel contrived at best and be a pastiche at worst.

I agree. Let's respect the historical integrity of CVH but some of those riffs are begging to be heard by a new audience - as well as us old timers - on a new album.
    Last edited by Halen High; 01-16-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Can't agree with FORD on this one, much as I respect his opinion so much of the time.

I think there were some great tunes on the original demos (ZERO and '77) that could have made another entire good album. PUT OUT THE LIGHTS always had a great groove to me. Maybe with some better lyrics, it could really kick with modern production and a cranking car stereo. BIG TROUBLE has always been one of the "tunes that got away", as far as I'm concerned. I remember reading that they actually recorded a proper version of that for DIVER DOWN. Great song. LET'S GET ROCKIN' has moronic lyrics (for Dave, anyway) but with new lyrics...hell, it's an amazing piece of hard rock. SHE'S THE WOMAN is awesome...but obviously would need a new middle-eight.

The point is, using some of these old riffs and turning them into new songs would keep some of the vitality and old school feel in the new songs. If they did maybe two of these old songs and ten new originals, the album would more than sit nicely with the six-pack.

But I guess I'm one of those fans with a lot of faith. The two '96 songs really worked for me...ME WISE MAGIC is still my favorite Van Halen song of all time.

After hearing the three new songs (with Shambo moron) on BEST OF BOTH WORLDS (no, I didn't buy the fucker), I remember thinking that Eddie was in a rut. Totally uninteresting tracks. Nothing original. Shabby production. But the lyrics and melodies (and the shitty vocalist) brought them down more than anything. Eddie's sobered up since. His playing on the 2007 tour was certainly much more inspired than the clips of boots I saw from 2004 when he seemed an uninspired mess. I definitely have faith in a solid new album...especially since Dave is notorious for only singing on Eddie material that is really worthwhile. Eddie used to brag that Sammy could sing on anything he threw his way. But that wasn't a talent. That was simply Sammy not knowing what the idea of quality control was.
    Hi Rikk, you mentioned Big Trouble. I too can't believe they never released that song! And old school is so "in" now across many aspects of popular culture. A lot of kids today will latch onto anything 70s/80s - music, fashion, film etc. Some of those old VH riffs would work a treat with a contemporary twist.
    Last edited by Halen High; 01-16-2011 at 07:31 AM.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post

I dunno...House of Pain was reworked in 1983 and it is as timeless as most of the other CVH

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nice to see you posting again Rikk! I seem to remember that they did record Big Trouble for DD.

I am calling my shot already and I will bet one of these tunes makes it to the new release.

Thread Information