X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lesfunk
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker

I'm still a bit turned off by The Return of the King ...

Cheers! :bottle:
    What didn't you like about it? Just curious. I thought it was quite the spectacle
    http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

I just hate the fact that Peter Jackson had to think he was somehow near enough the same level as The Master as to be able to re-write some of the story.

Granted, I can see his point....you are talking about keeping audiences in their seats, and are trying to attract your average moron who is not literate enough to even read the Sunday comics, much less a tale of such epic proportions.

But even so, for him to re-arrange, edit, or otherwise tamper with the story is bordering on blasphemy. I AM glad he did not include all the fucking stupid songs though. He did leave in the one where Pippin and Merry were drunk and dancing on a table-top, but that was enough. Did not need to have some of the long-winded crap that was in the book.

SO...even though I object to his editing, well, he had to turn the fucking books into a screenplay, else we would have had to sit there and listen to some idiot droning on with a half-an-hour-long description of the terrain they were passing through or some such rot.

Overall, I approve totally of the fantastic job Peter Jackson did.

And thanks to whomever for tacking my post onto the appropriate thread.

Comment

• SunisinuS
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • May 2010

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

Well I never thought I would live to see any of it made. So yes, Jackson is a hack with it.....and that includes his bird also.....but he did what they say couldn't be done. So I do salute him.

When I lived abroad I had to travel to JRR Tolkien's final resting place (I am sure he is in Valinor), and gave a miss to Jim Morrison's spot.

Will be fun to celebrate the Master regardless when the movies are released.
        Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Anonymous
          Banned
          • May 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
          What didn't you like about it? Just curious. I thought it was quite the spectacle
          Originally posted by Hardrock69
          I just hate the fact that Peter Jackson had to think he was somehow near enough the same level as The Master as to be able to re-write some of the story.
          There you have it. The Return of the King wasn't nearly as bad as The Two Towers, but if he started so well with The Fellowship of the Ring, why did he have to fuck the others?

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

I look forward to reading The Hobbit to my kids one day.

I think hoping to read them LOTR might be ambitious: they be well into High School by the time we finished it.
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

The Hobbit is perfect for kids. As that was why JRR Tolkien wrote it. For his kids.

Comment

• Anonymous
                Banned
                • May 2004

The Lord of the Rings was meant for kids too, hence all the fucking cabaret & vaudeville shows every third page. But since it kinda got outta hand scope wise, people often mistake it for an epic made for adults, when in truth it's simply a children's epic.

Now, The Silmarillion, there's a book for adults, since it deals mainly with background, history & more mature stories.

Meant for adults... I wonder if that's the reason why most people couldn't grasp it...

Maybe the professor greatly overestimated the "intelligence" of the average "adult" .

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
                  The Lord of the Rings was meant for kids too, hence all the fucking cabaret & vaudeville shows every third page. But since it kinda got outta hand scope wise, people often mistake it for an epic made for adults, when in truth it's simply a children's epic.

Now, The Silmarillion, there's a book for adults, since it deals mainly with background, history & more mature stories.

Meant for adults... I wonder if that's the reason why most people couldn't grasp it...

Maybe the professor greatly overestimated the "intelligence" of the average "adult" .

i have tried twice to get thru that book just won't happen
                  Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Anonymous
                    Banned
                    • May 2004

You don't know what ye're missing. The Silmarillion & The Hobbit are me favourite. I can't rate one above the other because they're so different.

But just so you know & I wrote this before, it's just the first couple of chapters that are hard to get through & that only because Tolkien is creating his world LIVE, rite in front of yer NAKED, STEAMIN' EYES, muthafucka! There's no background, no descriptions - because there's nothing to be described - just stuff happenin' fast & bein' created. After that, it kinda normalizes & it's EXCELLENT reading.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Pretty much the core of my grade school reading. I read the whole J.R.R. Tolken series before that Hobbit movie came out and saw the movie and thought it sucked.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

I did as well. Peter Jackson for the most part took everything in the story I read and saw in my mind, and transported it onto the screen. That Ralph Bakshi animated feature was fairly lame. Never liked it.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • May 2010

The Goblin Cleaver, always my Favorite....might have to dig Thorin up one day and take it to the U.N.

And Damn if Jackson ain't doing a good job on the Dwarves....Bombur is hella right. Lol he is carrying a Spoon as a weapon. That should have been Jackson's artistic license from the get go.

Let's hope he does this one a tad better.
                          Last edited by SunisinuS; 09-28-2011, 09:08 PM. Reason: Orcrist!
                          Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • May 2010

The first teaser trailer.

Far over the misty mountains cold,
                            to dungeons deep and caverns old,

It is also being filmed in 3-D.
                            Last edited by SunisinuS; 12-22-2011, 04:32 PM. Reason: Egggeesssss!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drHxND0-gQw&feature=related

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2007

Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 09-19-2012, 02:00 PM. Reason: boobs
                              Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• vandeleur
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Sep 2009

It's looking good, a lot more action in that trailer
                                fuck your fucking framing

Comment

Working...