Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up NAMM 2011 (EVH Booth content)

Nothing ground breaking here... the dude does mention something about 'Ed's musical adventures this week..' which I take to mean hitting the studio...

Last edited by jhale667; 01-21-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: All-inclusive title

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Three things caught my eye.

1. The set-neck Wolfgang looks suspiciously as if Ed decided to reinvent a Les Paul.
    2. The downsized 5150 III head seems like a very, very practical concept.
    3. EVH still haven't gotten away from that ghastly method of truss rod adjustment, which leaves a huge gouge in the top fret. Christ, that looks idiotically ugly, and could just as easily been rendered in the peg head, rather than needlessly ruining a fret (and the look of the guitar).

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    3. EVH still haven't gotten away from that ghastly method of truss rod adjustment, which leaves a huge gouge in the top fret. Christ, that looks idiotically ugly, and could just as easily been rendered in the peg head, rather than needlessly ruining a fret (and the look of the guitar).
    The tech guys I've talked to all love that feature... I've been told it makes adjustments very easy... personally, I don't mind it...

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    I'd definitely check out that 50 watt head. I'd like to know more about the controls and shared controls but me likey.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    The tech guys I've talked to all love that feature... I've been told it makes adjustments very easy... personally, I don't mind it...
    Oh, I'm sure it is practical and all that, but think about it: How often do you need to make that particular adjustment? The gap could just as easily be covered in the peg head with a piece of plastic, as on a Les Paul headstock, which incidentally, the guitar most completely resembles.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh, I'm sure it is practical and all that, but think about it: How often do you need to make that particular adjustment? The gap could just as easily be covered in the peg head with a piece of plastic, as on a Les Paul headstock, which incidentally, the guitar most completely resembles.

Fou you and I like never. For jhale who most likely sleeps with his guitars he may have to use it often. I agree with you though I think it looks like shit.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Fou you and I like never. For jhale who most likely sleeps with his guitars he may have to use it often. I agree with you though I think it looks like shit.
    The only reasoning for it that comes to mind is some difficulty with the locking nut placement. Yet even that could be remedied by putting the adjustment for the truss rod on the reverse side of the headstock. But still, why on Earth would you need a locking nut on a stop tailpiece equipped guitar?

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only reasoning for it that comes to mind is some difficulty with the locking nut placement. Yet even that could be remedied by putting the adjustment for the truss rod on the reverse side of the headstock. But still, why on Earth would you need a locking nut on a stop tailpiece equipped guitar?
    Honestly I don't know.

The Don: Roth Army Militi
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A bit of footage of Ed at the his own booth

Roth Army Militia

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    when is that new jacket comin' out for sale? i haven't seen him recently without it...
    Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 01-14-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: boobs
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ha! Funny how Ed taps that guy on the shoulder when he's playing the EVH-style riffs..

Goddamnit, I want some footage of Ed playing that fucking thing... come on internets, don't fail me now!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great to see Ed sober and smiling...
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed looks like he just rolled out of bed.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ha! Funny how Ed taps that guy on the shoulder when he's playing the EVH-style riffs..
    HAHA! totally dude. That made me giggle a little. Ed liked it. Although if it was me, he woulda hated my hack intro to Aint Talkin Bout Love. 25 years & I still barely have that phucker down. Not even really.

(I can still play it better than Slash did at that God-awful R&R Hall Of Fame version)
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If yer sittin there and Ed is next to you and you wanna impress him, try a few Jeff Beck licks...

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't even imagine playing with Edward looking over my shoulder. My brain would take a memory dump. "Hey Ed, check out this A chord. I can go E A D with no problem."

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree it doesn't look the best, but if it in some way helps take away the headstock worries that sure is an advantage from Gibson guitars. I always fear the strap locks will break or slip and the headstock will break off.

I have a guitar from the 80's that had a stop tail with fine tuners. It was great for quick fine tuining live.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    A locking nut on a stop-tailpiece is still going to help insure the guitar stays in tune, as when you bend a string, the string itself slides through the slots of the nut. If it catches, even a micro-amount, the string will not be in it's original location and thus will not be tuned as it was. A locking nut prevents string movement through the nut.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    HAHA! totally dude. That made me giggle a little. Ed liked it. Although if it was me, he woulda hated my hack intro to Aint Talkin Bout Love. 25 years & I still barely have that phucker down. Not even really.

(I can still play it better than Slash did at that God-awful R&R Hall Of Fame version)
    The only time I ever saw Michael Schenker play live was at a club in Kansas City in the late 90s. Did not think it could get any better, as there were only about 100 people in the club, and I was right up front, right in front of him for the entire night.

Then, immediately after the set, they announced he would be signing stuff after a while, so I went to the merch table and bought an 8 X 10. After a half an hour or so they brought him out, and installed him in a little niche where I just happened to be standing, so I wound up first in line.

I got to tell him "Dude....after 25 years of trying to get it right, I STILL cannot play Captain Nemo for shit!" and he cracked up.

Some stuff is just meant for those who can play the impossible.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It never bothered me and it is an easy truss rod to adjust. It also makes sense when you have a locking nut and a small headstock. Also, we have to remember Ed designed these guitars to go on the road with and humidity and temperature changes sometimes require truss rod tweaking. The graphite reinforced necks are more stable than the old type of neck but with the bare wood Ed likes, the neck is more prone to need truss rod adjustments.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrolldork View Post
    I agree it doesn't look the best, but if it in some way helps take away the headstock worries that sure is an advantage from Gibson guitars. I always fear the strap locks will break or slip and the headstock will break off.

I have a guitar from the 80's that had a stop tail with fine tuners. It was great for quick fine tuining live.
    I have a Gibson SG Custom I love to play. Those guitars seem so fragile with the thin body, the glued neck joint with not a lot of wood there for support and of course the Gibson headstock that breaks off so easy. As soon as I'm done, that guitar goes right in the case. I leave my Strat and Wolfgang just laying around. Nothing is going to break on either one. If the strap comes loose and the guitar falls to the floor the worst that would happen is a ding, a dent, or a chip. Maybe nothing would happen as well. Not so with that SG. It probably would shatter into several pieces on the floor.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    The only time I ever saw Michael Schenker play live was at a club in Kansas City in the late 90s. Did not think it could get any better, as there were only about 100 people in the club, and I was right up front, right in front of him for the entire night.

Then, immediately after the set, they announced he would be signing stuff after a while, so I went to the merch table and bought an 8 X 10. After a half an hour or so they brought him out, and installed him in a little niche where I just happened to be standing, so I wound up first in line.

I got to tell him "Dude....after 25 years of trying to get it right, I STILL cannot play Captain Nemo for shit!" and he cracked up.

Some stuff is just meant for those who can play the impossible.

After a year of begging & pleading, my Mom saved up the $125 to buy me an electric guitar for Christmas and 2 lessons at the guitar shop. We sat in the tiny room that had floor to ceiling speakers, knobs, equalizers, etc.. And 2 barstools.

1st lesson Mike taught me how to tune correctly. And said "next week bring in a song you like & want to learn to play"

No brainer

2nd lesson he makes sure I practiced my tuning and everything was in check. I hand him my cheapo cassette tape with the 1 song. He pops it in and the intro to Aint Talkin' Bout Love cranks out. His head sank a little, but what could he say? I was 14 and had a smile that went ear to ear, ready to learn my fav song of all time on my new red & white Hondo strat copy.

He taught it to me. I still play it exactly the way he showed me 25 years ago. I got the timing down, I'm not sloppy on the notes, guitar is in tune...but it just doesn't sound close. But I have a fuck ton of fun playing it.

It's still the very first thing I play when I pick up any guitar (like the Stairway to Heaven joke in Waynes World when they were at the guitar store). It's still my favorite intro to ANY song ever. I've heard a lot of guys play it, but never the way Eddie can. And I will never perfect it.

For most guys it was Eruption. For me it was ATBL.

(when I say I learned the intro...I mean up to where the drums start. Just that one riff played 4 times)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    that set-neck almost looks like it could have came out of the Hamer shop. fingerboard binding is similar.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Most fun I've had at one in YEARS...

Probably because I'm not "officially" working it, y'know? But I'll take it.

I'm still zooming back and forth from here to Anaheim, so I'm thinking perhaps this should serve as the official NAMM 2011 thread. I'm too wiped to post much, and gotta crash because my presence has been requested again tomorrow...LOL I'm having more fun than humans should be allowed though. This NAMM has a way different vibe than I remember, and it's great to be here. Checked out the Avid, Mesa-Boogie, Marshall, Fender (NO CHARVELS...bummed)/Jackson and Gibson exhibits, among many others...

Let me know what you guys think - I'm fine with just continuing posting about it here, don't see a need for a separate thread?

But I LIKE the EVH 5150III 50-watter, and I wasn't sure I would - and didn't think if I did it would be THIS much...

I have 100-some pictures on my phone from there already, not sure how high quality everything is (new Blackberry 5mp cam, but the auto-focus is a bit wonky, IMO), but the people I'm with are shooting HD pics that I'll be able to share....and videos too. Just too wiped to do more now, crashing.

Here's one my bro shot, not much clear, but a more full shot of the rig I played through...

And though I literally can't share any details on certain VH things...all I can say is keep hope alive, my peoples. Just (not for the record...lol) sayin'.
    Last edited by jhale667; 01-15-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If I was at that booth, and Ed showed up, i'd be freaking out. I wouldn't remember how to play anything. And on top of that, i'd be right next to Eddie F'in Van Halen for god's sake... But I agree!
    Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    And though I literally can't share any details on certain VH things...all I can say is keep hope alive, my peoples. Just (not for the record...lol) sayin'.
    Wait just a second.... You ain't getting off that easy, you sumbitch....

You can't leave us hanging like that, it's a rule here, you know....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    he said "new album" without sayin' "new album". sweet

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm jealous, sounds like NAMM has a lot more to offer this year than the last two.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's next Jay, "no news is good news" ??

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Since this is our official NAMM thread, check out the Marshall Class 5 head:

Marshall have updated their flagship small tube amplifier - the Marshall Class 5 - and are now releasing a Class 5 MK2 with improved internal components, and a more home-friendly design.

The Class 5 MKII now features a "low volume" output switch - as even 5w is very loud for home use. That means, you can now

Additional internal improvements to the Class 5 have been made. Marshall have assured customers that the price rise that accompanies the transition between the Class 5 MkI and Class5 MkII is worth it as you have a more versatile amp that is built for home use, rehearsals and gigging.

Also new from Marshall in the Class 5 range - a Class 5 Head & Cab. The Marshall C5H Class 5 Head has the same features as the combo and can be paired up with a Marshall C212 2x12 cabinet or a number of other Marshall cabs

The Class 5 MKII combo, head and cabs will be available from Andertons very soon and you can preorder by clicking the links below

Marshall Class 5 MKII Valve 1x12" Combo Amplifier (coming soon)
    Marshall Class 5 Head C5H (coming soon)
    Marshall Class 5 2x12 Cabinet C212 (coming soon)

http://www.andertons.co.uk/News/aid5...ass-5-head.asp

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Notice the guy said "Ed has been using this (5150 III 50 Watt Head) full time in the studio lately." (Hint, hint)

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anyone notice Ed's voice? It doesn't sound like a garbage disposal in this clip.....

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    What's next Jay, "no news is good news" ??
    The last anyone heard, Ed was supposedly in the studio months ago, asking George Lopez to come to the studio to lay down tracks.

Last edited by chefcraig; 01-15-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only hope I want to keep alive is the hope they get bassplayer back for the tour.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i'm hearing nothing but good reports about this wee beastie too...http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-5/index.html

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The last anyone heard, Ed was supposedly in the studio months ago, asking George Lopez to come to the studio to lay down tracks.

Eddie IS in the studio. He always is. For years now. It's 20 steps from his house on his property. All dude does is sit in there and noodle around. Probably has stacks & stacks of shit where the recorder was rolling. That converted garage is his safe spot. And he has enough money that he doesn't need to leave it unless he wants to...which is rare.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Eddie IS in the studio. He always is. For years now. It's 20 steps from his house on his property. All dude does is sit in there and noodle around. Probably has stacks & stacks of shit where the recorder was rolling. That converted garage is his safe spot. And he has enough money that he doesn't need to leave it unless he wants to...which is rare.
    Yep, and as time moves on for the rest of us, Ed get's to go through the motions remarkably similar to the plot of the movie Groundhog Day.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I really like what Blackstar is doing. I think the engineers that left Marshall to form Blackstar have really pushed Marshall to finally start doing some cool stuff like the AFD100 and YJM100 and their features.

Thread Information