• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VAiN
    Use my hand, I won't look
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I want to learn to play slide...

So, I've decided I'd like to learn me some slide gee-tar... I purchased a glass slide, now what? Anyone have any tips, advice, helpful links, etc?
    Originally posted by wiseguy
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by VAiN
    So, I've decided I'd like to learn me some slide gee-tar... I purchased a glass slide, now what? Anyone have any tips, advice, helpful links, etc?
    Put it on your finger and start sliding. I think you are supose to do an open tune but you don't have to. I never really tried it that much but it's not hard.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Yup. To play Ted Nugent's Hybernation you use your finger as a slide on standard tuning. It sounds cool. You can use any tuning and slide with anything.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

You can even use a plumbers wrench as a slide.

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

First off, adjust your settings on the guitar and amp to a fairly chunky and mildly distorted tone. Use a light touch, and let the weight of the slide and your hand dictate the clarity of the notes. The best place to start is by playing on the G & D (middle) strings. After a very brief period of time, you'll find yourself doing riffs like Zep's "In My Time Of Dying", which is a great tune to learn slide. From there, simply running through some standard blues scales will give you a feel for things, as you'll discover how to hand mute certain strings and dampen over-ringing tones.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

And you'll be playing like Sonny in no time!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2004

Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• indeedido
                Veteran
                • Feb 2004

Get in an open tuning, open E or open G, just about anything you slide around on in open tunings sounds like you are from the Delta
                This space for rent.

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                  Sniper
                  • Oct 2009

What next? Put the slide on your finger and pick some notes, pretending like you know how to play slide! Just kidding. I never really experimented with slide. I have one just in case, though. Me and my dad made one out of copper pipe, and sanded down the edges.

Fun to fart around on when i'm bored, but nothing too fancy ever came out of it. I mean, it's not like i've written songs with them. It just doesn't fit my style of playing...
                  Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by VanHalenFan5150
                    I have one just in case, though. Me and my dad made one out of copper pipe, and sanded down the edges.
                    If anyone wants a good slide for cheap, go out to the garage and look in the toolbox. Dig around on the bottom for the lawn mower's spark plug socket. Clean it out with some WD 40, then wrap some paper towels around your middle finger to make it fit snugly. Ta-da!

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• indeedido
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2004

I made my first slide. I cut off the end of a long neck beer bottle and filed down the end. Worked great until I dropped it one day and it broke.
                      This space for rent.

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
                        I made my first slide. I cut off the end of a long neck beer bottle and filed down the end. Worked great until I dropped it one day and it broke.
                        Yeah, it's a shame that drug companies make medicine bottles out of plastic these days, as the old glass ones were absolutely perfect. They were about the width of a guitar neck in length, and were free whenever you bought aspirin.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                          Yeah, it's a shame that drug companies make medicine bottles out of plastic these days, as the old glass ones were absolutely perfect. They were about the width of a guitar neck in length, and were free whenever you bought aspirin.

Dunlop makes the old-school Coricidan bottle reissue slides, I have one, they're pretty cool . Slightly larger than the ones pictured, but the same vibe. I also find myself using a regular ol' Dunlop #215...

DJ already posted an excellent example in Trucks, he's probably one of the best young slide players out there at the moment; also dive back into Jeff Beck, Duane Allman, Ry Cooder - anything like that you can get your hands on, really. DJ's given me pointers on slide technique (dude is a burner) and one of the best bits of advice he gave me is to listen more for the pitch you're shooting for rather than looking to see if you're directly over the correct fret (since obviously the pitch you're shooting for ISN'T going to be between the frets as if you were depressing the string to sound the note manually).

First tune I ever taught myself the slide solo to - was Zeppelin's "What Is and What Should Never Be"....classic, artful shit! It wasn't easy, and becoming a GOOD slide player isn't easy I'm finding...gotta say the piece that still gives me fits is Jeff Beck's "Nadia".
                          Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Playing slide kind of reminds me of finger banging a chick.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                              DJ's given me pointers on slide technique (dude is a burner) and one of the best bits of advice he gave me is to listen more for the pitch you're shooting for rather than looking to see if you're directly over the correct fret (since obviously the pitch you're shooting for ISN'T going to be between the frets as if you were depressing the string to sound the note manually).
                              Thanks brutha! I think the most important thing to get under your belt is understanding the techniques of slide playing. String control though palm or finger muting will help in isolating the notes you want to play, beit single or multiple in a chord like fashion. Striking notes: pick or fingers. I'm flexable, but nothing feels more natural and connected to slide playing than fingers (right hand).
                              I tried on and off, over the years, to get a handle on playing slide. I'd always get frustrated and forget about it for a while. It wasn't until witnessing Warren Haynes up close at a Govt. Mule show 16 years ago that I "got it". From that point on it was easy and effortless once I understood the technique.
                              I'd dabbled with open tuning, and I do enjoy it, but I found it a bit limiting in some ways. But standard tuning is way to go, (for me). That said, it's good to play and feel comfortable in both methods of tuning....

Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

Working...