• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jacksmar
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
    Fuck off, redneck.

Test # 2 first one to use a new amp emulation software called Grind Machine I ( note, not Elbow, btw) was recently asked to test and review:

Popcorn ping.

Very cool. Nice tone.

Request: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
    A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
      Hey, George Lynch called, he wants his delay settings back...
      Hardy Har. That was HeadCase FX on one GM track and one of the built-in Pro Tools delay plugins on another, with a dry track up the center. The 3 instances of Grind Machine barely taxed 18% of the CPU before adding effects, that's kind of unheard of consumption-wise, so that's cool. There are 10 heads and cabinets to choose from at the moment, but they're way noisy (much like a real high-gain amp). They're adding more amp heads soon, and at my suggestion are (thankfully) adding a built-in noise gate in the first update, so that'll be cool...

Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm about to buy an EVH 5150 III 50W amp so that I can take it to gigs in a taxi cab.

The cheapest I can find them here is $1340 which is annoying as they seem to be a hell of a lot cheaper in the US.

Anyhoo here is the question - is this the best option or is there any other compact head that would be better?

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          I'm about to buy an EVH 5150 III 50W amp so that I can take it to gigs in a taxi cab.

The cheapest I can find them here is $1340 which is annoying as they seem to be a hell of a lot cheaper in the US.

Anyhoo here is the question - is this the best option or is there any other compact head that would be better?
          Engl Gigmaster?
          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Thanks I will investigate.

Just noticed your age, you must have been a child when you started posting here...

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I used an Engle in the studio last couple of times for a rhythm track.

I'm not sure, they sound good but maybe more modern metal?

To be honest the EVH brand thing actually puts me off a bit, I don't want to draw attention to the fact I'm playing late 80s rock guitar any more than is necessary.

I'm also conscious that if I am using an EVH amp I won't be able to play my EVH guitar live any more without looking like a dick.

I'd like to do a side by side comparison rather than relying on a dodgy guy on YouTube but not many places stock these here...

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

You mean that's not you ??

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm so much cooler...

Comment

• Coyote
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Thanks I will investigate.

Just noticed your age, you must have been a child when you started posting here...
                    Given I started out at the Pleasure Dome in the late 90's... Yes, I was.

(Actually, I'm amazed no-one noticed until now... )

Check this out, seems like a nifty little amp...

Or this guy. Ben Granfelt, used to play with Wishbone Ash. (albeit it's a prototype Gigmaster from 4 years ago.)
                    Last edited by Coyote; 03-10-2014, 10:47 AM.
                    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

So since I've been testing GrindMachine, I decided to try re-amping an existing track ("Clique Mob") to see how it held up to the PODfarms and HeadCases of the world. Not too bad, replaced 8 instances of various amp & cab emulations with 4 instances of GrindMachine, CPU usage dropped 8%. Sounds a little tighter IMO too.

Originally posted by conmee
                      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                      Originally posted by eddie78
                      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

That's not bad but it just sounds so digital, which is what it is, of course...

There's just zero dynamics in the digital realm...

Not bad though...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

I used an Engle in the studio last couple of times for a rhythm track.

I'm not sure, they sound good but maybe more modern metal?

To be honest the EVH brand thing actually puts me off a bit, I don't want to draw attention to the fact I'm playing late 80s rock guitar any more than is necessary.

I'm also conscious that if I am using an EVH amp I won't be able to play my EVH guitar live any more without looking like a dick.

I'd like to do a side by side comparison rather than relying on a dodgy guy on YouTube but not many places stock these here...
                          I think that would be the case if you had a striped up guitar. Amps are a little different. You don't wear them and they are at the back. The EVH amps are pretty versatile unless you are looking for a real glassy clean sound. Also they are reliable. The only people who tend to notice amps are gear geeks and frankly I don't think anyone would give you shit using an EVH amp. They are capable of doing much more than just getting Ed's tone.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            That's not bad but it just sounds so digital, which is what it is, of course...

There's just zero dynamics in the digital realm...

Not bad though...

Digital technology has made recording affordable to the masses but it also can ruin the music. It's like using a calculator too much. You lose the feel for the numbers. I always had great respect for bands like Van Halen that could play live and sound pretty close to the album. Now anyone can be a singer with an auto tune. I want the human element. I want the rawness. I want the fuck ups.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              I think that would be the case if you had a striped up guitar. Amps are a little different. You don't wear them and they are at the back. The EVH amps are pretty versatile unless you are looking for a real glassy clean sound. Also they are reliable. The only people who tend to notice amps are gear geeks and frankly I don't think anyone would give you shit using an EVH amp. They are capable of doing much more than just getting Ed's tone.
                              I couldn't answer this until today because I literally couldn't take the chance that since this site has hundreds more viewers than posters I would hex this for myself.

I've spent the last week trying to buy one of these fucking things in the UK and it's been a nightmare. Bought one online last Monday from a huge online retailer called GAK.com and then phoned them to see when it would be delivered because I needed it for a gig on Friday. Their reply was July.

I then tried a bunch of other places. Also incidentally a warning to people the GAK people held onto my money for a few days killing that particular card.

So cut a boring story short it arrived today. I think there are literally 2 of these amps on sale in the UK at the moment and I got one of them. I paid $1326 for it which is the cheapest price that it has ever gone on sale here for.

The thing weighs a lot for it's size but I do wonder if I should have just taken a plane over to NYC picked one up and put it in my luggage.

Even if I paid the import duty it may have been about the same price and paid for the flights...
                              Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-26-2014, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

Cut the mumbo jumbo...

What's it sound like ??

Comment

Working...