X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
    Chef, the instrumental side of these tunes reminds me of Rush: Fantasy reminds me of Bastille Day in it's opening riff.
    Oddly enough, it reminded me of Minor Threat's "In My Eyes".
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by FORD
      Oddly enough, it reminded me of Minor Threat's "In My Eyes".
      Oh, my...
      Last edited by chefcraig; 02-19-2011, 08:27 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• SunisinuS
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • May 2010

Originally posted by chefcraig
        You really should come up with some, as I'm digging the hell out of "Rocket Download". Nicely done.
        Just a silly Jingle.

Find more artists like Cry Life at Myspace Music

Recorded on:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...?ProductId=481 But used the EX model

Liner Notes:

Back when MP3.com was actually a functional and great website, it would allow anyone to upload music, and then package and sell that music for the Artist and actually ship a CD to the consumer. So you could upload an album, upload the cover art, and price the CD at $8.00. Then someone who visited the site could order the album and MP3.com would split the money with you (artist got $4.00) and then would produce a CD complete with your artwork on the cover, and ship it to the purchaser. They also allowed people to download the songs one at a time and the artist would get a nickel for each download.

Where I was living at the time, I had a friend that worked at RocketDownload which was a local Shareware company start up. Knowing that there site got big hit numbers, I told my friend to ask the owner of the company to let me make him a jingle/theme song and if he liked it to post it on his site, only caveat was that they had to link to MP3.com (so I could get paid). Well he agreed, and at $.05 a play I made like $134.60 or close to that (enough to put a full set of tires on my car).

The song samples the Apollo 13 mission with myself answering their radio calls.

All Guitars: Me
        Bass: Me
        All Vocals: Me
        Drums: Electronic off Roland Keyboard

The lead guitar is purposefully loud tinny and frantic, meant to grab attention and be noticed (this is a commercial/jingle).
        The breakdown and outro to the song was my "Journey/Steve Perry" impression just giving the listener a soft "space" feel and to pound the website into their head.

Thanks for listening.

Audio of Apollo 13's first call help (Houston we got a problem...) answer....Software Costs too much!

As an Electronaut in Cyberspace.
        I must a traveled most everyplace.
        Now I'm looking for...
        Someplace that's free....

Now I have found a site to shareware with you
        It's got the Downlow and the Downloads too....

Rocket Download.

Rocket Down.
        Rocket Down
        Rockit Down.

In the Vacuum of Cyberspace...
        You can get your Downloads from one place.

Rocket Download.

Navigating Cyberspace....Software was meant to be free....

Rocket Download

When your feeling low down....

Rocket Download.
        Last edited by SunisinuS; 02-24-2011, 03:58 PM. Reason: We will see if this embed works
        Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• ashstralia
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Feb 2004

that's the new sound dude. i'm totally borgnining your concept.

Comment

• SunisinuS
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • May 2010

Originally posted by ashstralia
            that's the new sound dude. i'm totally borgnining your concept.
            Jeff Stanley is a guitar player musician singer songwriter who plays solo and in bands in Oregon. He teaches private and group guitar lessons. He is available for gigs, parties, shows, events, concerts, wineries, weddings and private events.

Tell him Chuck sent you.
            Last edited by SunisinuS; 03-03-2011, 11:19 PM. Reason: Chuck from Ashland. Or just say "Diet Cola."
            Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Here's one (and a snippet of another)...

Been busy, struggling with an over-taxed CPU but got Pro Tools working again after a few weeks down and still getting a few things done... Guitar tracks to a new tune... This is a PODfarm Vox AC30, Marshall Plexi and my really-real Mesa-Boogie MK III's dirt channel tripled.... it needs a John Paul Jones - meets- Robert Deleo-in Geezer Butler's basement bass line and drums, but I like where it's going...

The best independent music community on the net. Listen to music, buy and sell beats and albums. #rock #shred

and here's another I did a total cab emulation mic-switch-out on the existing tracks that sounds way bigger now: also AC30/Marshall + a Soldano Mod and the Boogie...This needs a McCartney-meets-Entwistle "The Real Me" vibe...the flange effect is still intentionally heavy at the end, yes...

Experience the best social music community. Millions of songs of up-and-coming artists, all for free. Artists and bands: upload your music now, no song limit. Join now!
              Last edited by jhale667; 04-03-2011, 06:57 AM.
              Originally posted by conmee
              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
              Originally posted by eddie78
              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                ...and here's another I did a total cab emulation mic-switch-out on the existing tracks that sounds way bigger now: also AC30/Marshall + a Soldano Mod and the Boogie...This needs a McCartney-meets-Entwistle "The Real Me" vibe...the flange effect is still intentionally heavy at the end, yes...

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10029542
                Being the guy that usually forces a distorted yet melodic bass line over just about anything, this might come as a surprise, but I really do not believe such a treatment would work on this, jay. The melody is already present from the guitars themselves, so to even add a counter-melody would be just too busy sounding, at least to my ears. I honestly think some sort of simple scale or an almost walking bass line would be more effective, and would not overpower the arrangement. In the outro, you could even get away with the bass repeating a 3 note octave figure (think low E, B, High E), essentially marking time by modulating, rather than moving the beat forward with accompaniment. And for this to work, a tone similar to a very clean and undistorted sound would be needed to cut through the guitar, and also to highlight the upper bass notes.

In any event, that's my take on it. Best of luck finishing up, as it sounds great at this stage!

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  Being the guy that usually forces a distorted yet melodic bass line over just about anything, this might come as a surprise, but I really do not believe such a treatment would work on this, jay. The melody is already present from the guitars themselves, so to even add a counter-melody would be just too busy sounding, at least to my ears. I honestly think some sort of simple scale or an almost walking bass line would be more effective, and would not overpower the arrangement. In the outro, you could even get away with the bass repeating a 3 note octave figure (think low E, B, High E), essentially marking time by modulating, rather than moving the beat forward with accompaniment. And for this to work, a tone similar to a very clean and undistorted sound would be needed to cut through the guitar, and also to highlight the upper bass notes.

In any event, that's my take on it. Best of luck finishing up, as it sounds great at this stage!
                  Thanks!
                  Interesting, and totally see what you're saying....maybe waaaaay more McCartney than Entwistle, yes...

If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • May 2010

On the first track J I would say resist that temptation to give it that one extra "dumb deya dumb deya" skip on the strumming. What was nice from the start was the "non-folk" (if that can be a word) vibe.

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by SunisinuS
                      On the first track J I would say resist that temptation to give it that one extra "dumb deya dumb deya" skip on the strumming. What was nice from the start was the "non-folk" (if that can be a word) vibe.
                      Cool, thanks....I see what you're saying, but I think, or at least the intent is, the strumming will (hopefully) mesh with what I'm trying to imply rhythmically for the eventual bass and drum tracks...it's more percussive, definitely non folk.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • May 2010

Cool, thanks....I see what you're saying, but I think, or at least the intent is, the strumming will (hopefully) mesh with what I'm trying to imply rhythmically for the eventual bass and drum tracks...it's more percussive, definitely non folk.

Yea but you then have to go beyond the riff and make a shot to the head. I just said it feels lazy that extra strum....like you are trying to say "uhm" when you are speaking "you know" ? So the fun of the recording process is to get beyond that and give yourself some time to think. Think where YOU want to go with this.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Interesting, and totally see what you're saying....maybe waaaaay more McCartney than Entwistle, yes...
                          Ya know, it's just plain strange where inspiration will come from at times. I was thinking about your tune while flipping between the Marlins game (we lost) to the Shell Huston Open (Mickelson has the lead at 16) when I ran across a commercial for some new "shoot 'em up" video game. The soundtrack had the usual space-opera theme to it (yet another variation on the themes used in Holst's The Planets), and I thought of the problems with coming up with a bass pattern for your song. I was still wrestling with the idea of a repeating figure when I remembered that sometimes, the best course of action is to do...nothing. So here is the pitch:

That's right, forget about a bass line. Instead, you could use a bass level drone from a keyboard (or even a seven string, for that matter), pretty much based upon the three note separation I mentioned earlier (low E, B, High E). This would eliminate the need for coming up with a suitable repeating figure, and could be used throughout the entire tune beneath the various chord changes. It would also change the entire focus and scope of the piece, suddenly making it far more dramatic as well as cinematic in nature.

Let me know what ya think, I'm going to get back and see if Phil can win the tournament.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• jhale667
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

All taken under advisement, thanks guys. Reeeeally got lucky today and was able to record (system hasn't been cooperating in that respect at all lately) some new Boogie tracks for this tune that I'd already put down a bop-kinda bass line for a few months ago when I'd borrowed a bass guitar but never got around to re-doing the guitar tracks for called "Faux Jazz". I didn't mix the track very high, but you can tell it sounds LARGE....

The best independent music community on the net. Listen to music, buy and sell beats and albums. #rock #shred

(That's the 121/SM57/D6 Recabinet "Green 4x12 set-up on the Boogie + a PODfarm Plexi and a Bassman doing the cleans...)

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

Dude, firstly I dig that Calvin & Hobbes image.

Secondly, you ought to try Reaper. It is lean, mean, and unlike PT, it is very efficient, stable and trustworthy. It can do anything PT can do, and only 40 bucks for a license.

Just a suggestion. Will download your stuff at work tomorrow and check it out over the next few days.

Comment

• ashstralia
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Feb 2004

i did this version of the racing car ad mimicking a racing car... love the bass at the start.

Comment

Working...