Thread: What shows would you like to see on DVD?

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    12-25-2016 @ 01:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What shows would you like to see on DVD?

If we ever got our wish & Ed cracked the vaults what past shows would you like to see on DVD?

Of course the 81 Oakland show but others?

The 1984 Stockholm Sweden show was just perfect!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2020 @ 05:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Something from every tour would be great.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

um...yeah
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-02-2015 @ 02:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Aside from the Holy Grail that is Oakland, I'd want something from the World Invasion tour in 1980 when they became the headliner. It was a breakout year for them and their setlist expanded because of that. Not much footage has been seen from then. Would also like to see some stuff from the Hide Your Sheep tour in '82-'83. The third leg was down in South America, and those shows are great. Be interested in seeing them play Orlando when they opened for the Stones too. That was a daytime show for them I think. Then there's the infamous Anaheim show where they fooled the audience with lookalike skydivers parachuting down to the stage. They popped out on stage with that gear on and made everyone think it was really them. Or so urban legend has it anyway. You would also have to have some shows from 1978 and '79 to top it all off with. The Oklahoma and Texxas Jam's would be cool. Day On The Green. The list is vast for these guys. Time is a wastin' Ed. Time is a wastin'.

Last edited by CROWBAR; 02-06-2011 at 08:55 AM.

4. Thanked CROWBAR for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-06-2011)

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

Any show from '79. First headlining tour. Young and hungry.
    This was in the days before the show got bloated with sword dances, silly bass solos, or stage raps that maybe went on a little too long. It was just 90 minutes of musical dynamics that were so raw and powerful that it could detach your head from your fucking neck! Lots of improv.

Bruce Gowers shot the live vids from this tour, and I refuse to believe that he only captured three songs. There absolutely has to be an entire pro-shot show laying around in somebody's vault somewhere....

This would be for the true Van Halen fans, the purest of the pure. A strong, straight dose of the most powerful rock and roll you've ever heard or felt. Ever.
    If you pounded your girlfriend or wife (or someone elses girlfriend or wife) with this kind of groove and intensity, she will listen to your story and put up with your bullshit. Guaranteed.

( I could be wrong, but I believe this is how someones one-thousandth post is how it's done)
    Nuthin' But Yeah!

um...yeah
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-02-2015 @ 02:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Not to pick a bone with ya BUT, Van Halen wasn't always the headliner in 1979. They may have went on to become the permanent headliner later, but didn't start out as one.

Van Halen II Tour (1979)

The guys switched from being an opening act at times to a headliner on this tour. They changed the song order around frequently, and added or deleted the occasional tune, but this was a typical set list:

* Light Up the Sky * Somebody Get Me a Doctor * Runnin' With the Devil * Beautiful Girls * On Fire * Mike's Solo * Feel Your Love Tonight * Alex's Solo * Outta Love Again * Ice Cream Man * Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love * Ed's Solo * D.O.A. * You Really Got Me * Bottoms Up!

The older version of the official VH site is unable to give me the info on that year at the moment for whatever reason, but do believe it would say the same as the VH trading list going by memory. Until I'm able to get that tour info from the archives, it's up in the air.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'd want the Blu-ray.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

If you pounded your girlfriend or wife (or someone elses girlfriend or wife) with this kind of groove and intensity, she will listen to your story and put up with your bullshit. Guaranteed.
    THAT is one of the truer statements I have ever heard about VH.

9. Thanked Hardrock69 for this KICKASS post:

fifth element (02-06-2011)

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-27-2020 @ 07:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    Any show from '79. First headlining tour. Young and hungry.
    This was in the days before the show got bloated with sword dances, silly bass solos, or stage raps that maybe went on a little too long. It was just 90 minutes of musical dynamics that were so raw and powerful that it could detach your head from your fucking neck! Lots of improv.

Bruce Gowers shot the live vids from this tour, and I refuse to believe that he only captured three songs. There absolutely has to be an entire pro-shot show laying around in somebody's vault somewhere....

This would be for the true Van Halen fans, the purest of the pure. A strong, straight dose of the most powerful rock and roll you've ever heard or felt. Ever.

( I could be wrong, but I believe this is how someones one-thousandth post is how it's done)
    Nuthin' But Yeah!
    before he died, noel monk admitted that there was complete pro-shot shows from EVERY tour.
    also, if you listen to the milwaukee 1980 boot, dave talks about the tour movie they were making at that time.
    you can listen to this milwaukee 1980 show here:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R91HGDQ0
    Last edited by ace diamond; 02-06-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-19-2012 @ 11:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'd honestly be content with one CVH show, period*

*But I want them all!

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

I want something I haven't seen before like a quality 1984 show or something from 1978-1980.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Oakland 1981

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

1978-1980. If there were tons of bootlegs from that time period, perhaps I would not be so insistent.

As it is, all we want are blu-ray 7.1 Surround Sound CVH Shows in their entirety.

We aren't asking for much.

We want it all.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-24-2017 @ 11:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

the only show i've seen from start to finish (except for the 2 i saw live in person a few years ago) was the US Festival, actually i've only heard the cd/.

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-27-2020 @ 07:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Polk High View Post
    the only show i've seen from start to finish (except for the 2 i saw live in person a few years ago) was the US Festival, actually i've only heard the cd/.
    i have the complete video on dvd.
    pm me if you want a copy.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,502 Posts

Blog Entries
    Just release them vaults.

Release it all, audio and video.

Fuck's sake, there's new Hendrix and Doors stuff (studio and live) being released seemingly every other year...and Jimi and Morrison have been dead for more than 40 years!!

Probably a good chunk of what could be expected in such a release (US Fest, Largo 82, 1983 S. American shows) many serious collectors already have. But fuck it. I'll pay for professionally restored versions of that stuff. Look at the offstage footage shot in 1983 (the making of the Jump video, Dave riding around on a motorcycle re: Panama promo video, Mike Anthony on a speedboat with two babes) that's on YouTube...how much of THAT kind of stuff is sitting around somewhere? Just rotting away or collecting dust...much like the band itself.

Hey, fuck it. If Eddie only wants to "work" once every five years, that's his bag, man. I bet Roth wouldn't mind supervising the release of some of that lost classic footage, and Deadward wouldn't have to lift a finger beyond guzzling his next bottle of smoking loon.

Van Halen is such a fucking lazy band. Most times it sucks when a great band becomes too successful for too long. They lose the drive and creativity that made them worth listening to in the first place.

Thread Information