X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Hagar Predictably Runs His Boorish Yap In Revisionist History Memoir, 'Red'

Now normally I wouldn't dare put a Hagarita thread into Main, but this must be an exception....

Sammy Hagar's memoir, "Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock," doesn't comes out until March, but I've just finished reading an advance copy and I can tell you that there's one poor guy who's going to wish it had never seen the light of day: Eddie Van Halen.

Sammy's one of the nicest guys I've met in rock 'n' roll, but Marin's Red Rocker shows his former Van Halen bandmate no mercy, portraying Eddie as more street person than guitar god.

This is Sammy describing him just before their Van Halen reunion tour in 2003: "I hadn't seen him in 10 years. He looked like he hadn't bathed in a week. He certainly hadn't changed his clothes in at least that long. He wasn't wearing a shirt. He had on a giant overcoat and army pants, tattered and ripped at the cuffs, held up with a piece of rope. I'd never seen him so skinny in my life. He was missing a number of teeth and the ones he had left were black. His boots were so worn out he had gaffer's tape wrapped around them and his big toe still stuck out."

In passages like that, "Red" reads like one of those angry e-mails we write when we're really ticked off at someone and need to vent by trashing him or her. But once we chill out, most of us don't hit the send button. With this book, Sammy hits the send button.

And he hits it over and over. After describing the squalor that he claims Eddie lived in, Sammy lays into him again, writing: "This was Eddie Van Halen, one of the sweetest guys I'd ever met. He had turned into the weirdest (expletive) I'd ever seen, crude, rude and unkempt."

So how do you really feel, Sammy?

After his "I Can't Drive 55" made him an arena-level headliner, Sammy joined Van Halen in the mid-'80s, replacing David Lee Roth, another guy he has no use for.

"I hated Dave," he writes. "The guy rubbed me wrong. I'm sure I rub all kinds of people wrong, so it's not like I'm putting him down. The guy was a great front man, great attitude in rock, and had an image from hell, but I just couldn't stand the guy. He was the opposite of what I believed in and what I am. First of all, the guy's not a great singer and he acts like he's the coolest, hottest guy in the world when, to me, he looks gay."

I don't know who's going to be more upset by that, Roth or gay people?

Settled down now at 63, Sammy writes ecstatically about his second and current wife and their contented family life. But when he was younger and his first marriage was on the skids, he took full advantage of his rock star status during his decade as lead singer of Van Halen.

"I was eating in the greatest restaurants, drinking the finest wine, flying on private jets, walking on stage to sold-out audiences going crazy. The only thing missing was ... I don't think anything was missing."

Groupies certainly weren't missing. Like the other members of what Sammy calls "the biggest rock band in the world," he had his own sex tent underneath the stage. Roadies would stock it with "five or six girls" every night, and Sammy writes about getting it on with them during Van Halen's nightly guitar solo. On this particular subject, he reveals a little more than I'd prefer to know, but it will probably sell a lot of books.

It seems like everything Sammy does makes money. At the beginning of his career, he was smart enough to buy the "architectural wonder" of a house on Mount Tam where he still lives for only $60,000 down, a pittance now. He was on the road a lot, so he started a successful travel agency in Mill Valley. He has a profitable fire sprinkler company in Fontana, the blue collar Southern California town where he grew up. And his Cabo Wabo Cantina in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, has spun off into franchises in Lake Tahoe and other places.

More recently, he made headlines when he sold his Cabo Wabo tequila company to the Campari Group for $80 million in a deal that lets him keep 20 percent of the business.

"If I wanted to be a billionaire, I probably could," he writes. "It's probably not that hard. But I'm not interested."

From that, it's clear that Sammy, with Joel Selvin, didn't write "Red" for the money. So he must have had other motives, like getting even with the Van Halen brothers, Eddie and Al, for not showing up at their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in 2007, leaving him and bassist Mike Anthony to go it alone.

The question of whether Sammy quit Van Halen or was fired doesn't really get answered in "Red," as far as I can tell. One thing it does do, though — "Red" is hot enough to burn bridges.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • SunisinuS
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • May 2010

See, here's the thing: Eddie Van Halen is an alcoholic. Dave imho left the band because Eddie was an alcoholic. In all the time he was gone, Dave basically had statements about Eddie's attitude, like, "it is really dark up there on howdy doody mountain". He never said he hated Eddie as a person, or made fun of his humanity. He genuinely likes Eddie and has admiration for him as far as I can tell. He wrote a song about it "Damn Good". He constantly pushed the BAND Van Halen, even when not in the line up.

Ched Head on the other hand, does not say "I saw Eddie looking terrible, I asked if he would like to see my Doctor who I trust", instead he makes fun of him. He uses Van Halen for all the money girls and fame he can get, then goes back to being a solo artist. Eddie was right to tell him to go to hell, he only used Eddie for a ride; Dave always wanted to be in the Band. Spammy, as opposed to Dave, writes a song where he portrays Eddie as a monkey playing a guitar.

Between the two attitude types, I certainly know which one I would want to be in a band with:

Dave, somewhat patient and Zen, or The Well Fed Rocker, who doesn't even say thanks for the Cheetos.

The truth is in the telling: Spam brags about his ability to be a billionaire, Dave gets his EMT certificate and works as one. Dave gets his Helicopter License, Spam drinks Tequila.

Good riddence to bad rubbish.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 02-11-2011, 12:20 PM. Reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mIP7ySBXBg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHOQdbL3rrQ
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• kwame k
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Feb 2008

I'm keeping my eye on you Va, Cheddar in The Main

You can't really judge by an excerpt but this is all stuff we knew about......Ed's downward spiral into Meth, he doesn't like Dave, and he thinks he's a rock star.

Hopefully, we'll find out what his favorite color is.
      Originally posted by vandeleur
      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

"First of all, the guy's not a great singer and he acts like he's the coolest, hottest guy in the world when, to me, he looks gay."
        It's always fascinating to me when certain "straight" guys seem to know just what to seek in order to recognize gay folks.

Originally posted by kwame k
        Hopefully, we'll find out what his favorite color is.
        I believe that is answered in the title of the book.
        Last edited by chefcraig; 02-11-2011, 12:11 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by chefcraig
          It's always fascinating to me when certain "straight" guys seem to know just what to seek in order to recognize gay folks.

I believe that is answered in the title of the book.

Can anyone spot Dave in this picture?

Comment

• hambon4lif
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
            Exactly! I always thought it was strictly up to the females to make that decision. When a guy makes that call, it's from the closet.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              Now normally I wouldn't dare put a Hagarita thread into Main, but this must be an exception....

Groupies certainly weren't missing. Like the other members of what Sammy calls "the biggest rock band in the world," he had his own sex tent underneath the stage. Roadies would stock it with "five or six girls" every night, and Sammy writes about getting it on with them during Van Halen's nightly guitar solo.
              Eleven minutes minus the time it took his fat ass to get from the stage to his tent and back. Those lucky girls...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

In other words Sammy is like Gene Simmons but with less talent and drive.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

I wonder who Sammy was fucking in the sex tent. Mike?
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    I wonder who Sammy was fucking in the sex tent. Mike?
                    You gave some thought to that, did you?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• hambon4lif
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

"I hated Dave," he writes. "The guy rubbed me wrong. I'm sure I rub all kinds of people wrong, so it's not like I'm putting him down. The guy was a great front man, great attitude in rock, and had an image from hell, but I just couldn't stand the guy. He was the opposite of what I believed in and what I am. First of all, the guy's not a great singer and he acts like he's the coolest, hottest guy in the world when, to me, he looks gay."

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The annoying thing, and the reason he is writing doing the book, is whatever fucking bullshit he tells the ghost writer people will accept and will become part of the intro to everything ever written about him by the 99% of music journalists who are lazy bastards these days. I've lost count of the number of lies that have come out of his dribbling fat mouth over the years.

This is Sammy describing him just before their Van Halen reunion tour in 2003: "I hadn't seen him in 10 years.
                        BOOM! Line 1.

How did he get sacked in 1996 and then not see Ed for 10 years before their 2003 tour?

We should have a competition here when this shit comes out. Hagar Lies Bingo, the person who finds the most documented lies and falsehoods wins a prize. I guarantee the winning score will be at least 3 figures...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's not like I'm putting him down but he can't sing and looks gay.

You have to laugh...

Comment

• Blaze
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                            sigpic

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

hopefully Sam will be the voice of the audiobook, then we can chop it up into things like "i am a big fat fuck." there's a fucking contest to have!
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...