X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Carmelo Anthony...yeah...right...

He's going to the Lakers...he's staying in Denver...he's going to New Jersey...

...give me a fucking break. Everyone knows that this cat is going to New York. Why?

That's where he wants to go.

It's another case of the inmates running the asylum...we all know this fuck is not only going to go to fucking New York, but get a new contract to boot.

What a fucking joke.
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

...and Chris Paul will be soon to follow...

So now...we get the era of fucking "Super Teams." This is good for the NBA how?
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• TFM_Dale
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2009

I hear you, I'm fuckin tired of it. I used to watch all of the big 4 sports, any team, any time, now I watch the NFL, The Wings, Tigers, and Pistons and in that order to. I love hoop, played in Gus Mackers almost every weekend back in the day but I hate watching the NBA. Just a bunch of overpaid, egotistical pussies that would have never made it when the REAL Lakers, Celtics, and Bad Boys were throwing down. Now you get 35 seconds of action, a whistle and free throws. Fuck that. Now you get all the so called stars picking what team they want to play for and all of them want the easy way out by joining other so called stars, it is a crock of shit. Be the foundation for YOUR team you fucking loser. Stop bailing on the team that drafted you and took a chance on you in the first place. I am all for free agency but the fact that teams can't keep the face of their franchise is killing the game. Fuck the NBA.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Although the Miami fiasco was a joke, it is not necessarily going to be successful = Title.

The league needs to agree to a hard cap and revenue sharing like the NFL if there is any hope.

But therein lies the problem...the owners won't agree to it. Don't be blaming the players for trying to find the best fit - for whatever reason - for them. The players shouldn't be beholden to a team in perpetuity because they were drafted. The league should further encourage players staying with their drafting team with further salary cap advantages let's say. I would rather see players stay with their teams long term, but it is unfair to give all the power to the owners, who are not without fault.

I blame the greedy owners in the large markets and Stern for not making them see the light.

Pojo, you are off base on this one
        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Something that I don't quite follow in this mess (and maybe one of you guys could take the time to explain it for me) is that Anthony will be a free agent this summer, right? So why should any of these teams be jumping through hoops in order to come up with some far-reaching mega-deal, when all they have to do is make no offer whatsoever now and just wait until then? From the way I'm reading this, it truly doesn't make any sense.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• TFM_Dale
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2009

They think they have a shot this year and all the rumored deals revolve around him signing an extension so they wouldn't lose him at the end of the season. Any team other then the Knicks would be crazy to trade for him without a new contract.

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

Thanks, Dale. So it comes down to being competitive this season? Weird. I guess we'll know how this shakes out in 5 days or less.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
                Although the Miami fiasco was a joke, it is not necessarily going to be successful = Title.

The league needs to agree to a hard cap and revenue sharing like the NFL if there is any hope.

But therein lies the problem...the owners won't agree to it. Don't be blaming the players for trying to find the best fit - for whatever reason - for them. The players shouldn't be beholden to a team in perpetuity because they were drafted. The league should further encourage players staying with their drafting team with further salary cap advantages let's say. I would rather see players stay with their teams long term, but it is unfair to give all the power to the owners, who are not without fault.

I blame the greedy owners in the large markets and Stern for not making them see the light.

Pojo, you are off base on this one
                The players have plenty of control in the NBA, how many big guaranteed contracts have teams eaten? In the NFL you can cut a bad contract, in the NBA you eat it or trade it. Now I know it is the owners fault for allowing GMs to hand out these contracts in the first place, I'm just saying the players don't have it so bad in the NBA and I still feel a team should be able to keep the face of their franchise by matching any contract offered to them, that is fair to owners and players in my opinion.

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  Thanks, Dale. So it comes down to being competitive this season? Weird. I guess we'll know how this shakes out in 5 days or less.
                  Should have clarified, everyone but the Nets feel they have a shot lol. The Nets owner just wants to flash some cash around by trading for and signing a big name.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by TFM_Dale
                    I'm just saying the players don't have it so bad in the NBA and I still feel a team should be able to keep the face of their franchise by matching any contract offered to them, that is fair to owners and players in my opinion.
                    Well that would be slavery, wouldn't it?

I say construct the CBA it so that the drafting team can pay more...significantly more, say 15-20%.

Currently it exists but the amount they can pay more than another team is a few % if I recall.

I just don't know how you can critisize someone for looking after their best interests. I wish Lebron would have stayed. I am sure some of my former employers wish I was still there.

Mrs. Nesbith sure liked how I delivered the paper on time, but I'll be damned if I will do that past age 15 just because she wants me too.

These are grown men, not kids. They can make any decision they want.

Put the incentives in the right place in the CBA to make the league a prosperous long-term success for all cities...not just the big markets.

Any other discussion is just Pollyanna wishful thinking
                    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2009

Slavery? Really? I'm sure all the real slaves would have loved living the pampered lifestyle of a NBA player. Using the franchise tag in the NFL is slavery also? I don't get the comparison. It is a privilege to play in the NBA or any sports league, why would it be unfair to give a team the right to match a contract offer? The player would make the same amount of money they would by signing with the other team and when you are talking million of dollars per season can you really say slavery? I doubt any team would hold a player hostage that truly didn't want to be there by matching a 6+ year high dollar contract, what sense would that make?

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

You seem to be hung up on the money aspect of it.

Let's say you are an engineer or a dentist and you have an employer.

After graduating from school you sign a contract for 3 years.

So what you are saying is, you would be fine with you being obligated to your current employer no matter what just becasue he matched the offer?

That is slavery...What if your current employer did not hold any prospects for advancement? Is that fair? Perhaps a player wantes to move because the team has a history of treating medical issues better...who knows

1. (Law) the state or condition of being a slave; a civil relationship whereby one person has absolute power over another and controls his life, liberty, and fortune
                        2. the subjection of a person to another person, esp in being forced into work
                        3. the condition of being subject to some influence or habit

Sure I am exagerrating a tad, but the point is valid...you cannot exert control over another and have a player beholden to one team.

Maybe the player is being threatened in that city and simply wants a change. There are a thousand reasons why a player may want to move.
                        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think professional athletes are spoiled and how "I would play for the love of the game" Yah sure.

How many players get cut in the NFL one game from their pension? Or worse, are basically mental cases from concussions - broke and lives ruined with their league abandoning them.

Focussing on the top 0.5% of elite players as the norm is ridiculous
                          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by TFM_Dale
                            It is a privilege to play in the NBA or any sports league
                            No it's not. It is a job...one the players took a big chance on getting and through hard work, luck, talent.

Who are you to tell them where to play? Especially after putting in what is it, 5 or six years of service?

Just because we think sports are awesome and glamerous, doesn't mean that at the end of the day it is a job, with an employer who would get rid of you the moment they could legally do so.

In the NFL, that happens all the time.

I actually agree with you that it is better for players to stay with their original teams. The players and owners need to agree in a CBA as to how they will organize their relationship. I say make it easier for players to decide to stay with their original teams within reason by making it more lucrative.
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
                              You seem to be hung up on the money aspect of it.

Let's say you are an engineer or a dentist and you have an employer.

After graduating from school you sign a contract for 3 years.

So what you are saying is, you would be fine with you being obligated to your current employer no matter what just becasue he matched the offer?

That is slavery...

1. (Law) the state or condition of being a slave; a civil relationship whereby one person has absolute power over another and controls his life, liberty, and fortune
                              2. the subjection of a person to another person, esp in being forced into work
                              3. the condition of being subject to some influence or habit

Sure I am exagerrating a tad, but the point is valid...you cannot exert control over another and have a player beholden to one team.

Maybe the player is being threatened in that city and simply wants a change. There are a thousand reasons why a player may want to move.
                              I get what you are saying, I just disagree. The owners wouldn't control a players life, liberty, and fortune. A player is free to make a career change just as an engineer or dentist is able to, if they haven't recieved a prorated signing bonus they can quit the sport anytime they like. Players would be free to sign any contract with whatever stipulations they agree to, If the player's current team wants to match that I just feel they should be able to. They wouldn't be forced into anything either, they can choose to not play basketball at all or go play overseas as some players have done, there is still options even in the basketball proffession. If that is slavery would that make the Heat the underground railroad?

Comment

Working...