X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by TFM_Dale
    I get what you are saying, I just disagree. The owners wouldn't control a players life, liberty, and fortune. A player is free to make a career change just as an engineer or dentist is able to, if they haven't recieved a prorated signing bonus they can quit the sport anytime they like.
    A player can make a career change? You are making my argument stronger with each post...keep going.

What is the length of a pro athlete career? We both know the average is low. They aren't changing careers and you know it. This is their one and only shot.

No easier than a dentist can change careers. Maybe he could become a dog dentist, with a 90% cut in pay.

You are just the product of popular US culture, where sports is king - so your position and blindness to the truth isn't your fault
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• TFM_Dale
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DavidFlamma

You are just the product of popular US culture, where sports is king - so your position and blindness to the truth isn't your fault
      Says the Canadian comparing million dollar athletes to slaves. Even taking the top players out of the discussion, do you know what these guys make even making the league minimum? I'm sorry, I don't feel sorry for them if they get "stuck" making millions on the team that drafted them compared to making the millions elsewhere. Also, why is it out of the question if a league minimum player decides to change his career, these guys got a free college education if they wanted it and if they took advantage of that because they actually wanted to have options guess what, those options are there.
      Last edited by TFM_Dale; 02-19-2011, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• TFM_Dale
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2009

stupid double post
        Last edited by TFM_Dale; 02-19-2011, 11:29 PM. Reason: not sure why

Comment

• Romeo Delight
          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I really do think the notion that playing pro sports is a privledge is a US sentiment based on popular cuture, on average...so that is a more prevalent opinion as a by-product of media and general glorification of sport.

I think Canadians would think the same of hockey
          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Says the Canadian comparing million dollar athletes to slaves. .
            No...comparing the notion that you have the right to dictate where a player can play his limited career, if injury or erosion of skills hasn't already ended his brief career to slavery.
            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• TFM_Dale
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
              No...comparing the notion that you have the right to dictate where a player can play his limited career, if injury or erosion of skills hasn't already ended his brief career to slavery.
              Right, but if a player gets hurt or God forbid worse, they are taken care of and paid the remainder of their contract unless they do something stupid like Mike Vick, Plexi-glass Burress, or any other number of dumb asses that had contracts voided.

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2009

Chrome double posts also, WTF?

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                  ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Right, but if a player gets hurt or God forbid worse, they are taken care of and paid the remainder of their contract unless they do something stupid like Mike Vick, Plexi-glass Burress, or any other number of dumb asses that had contracts voided.
                  Well, maybe. They could be in the last year or two, which leaves them with an end of their career potentially.
                  sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

I'm way off?

So...Super Teams are good for the league?

Seriously...Slavery...what in the fuck are you talking about? Now I'm not for free agency because Super Teams aren't good for the league?

To top it off...the way these guys go about it...how many times do I have to listen to Anthony fucking bitching about how he can't watch TV or read the papers anymore...while in the meantime, he's meeting with potential suitors...DURING THE SEASON?

It's not just his fault...but the owners as well...for listening to him. Cleveland...same thing...LeBron was a douche...but they were morons for letting him dictate all those years. New Orleans...same fucking thing...with Chris Paul...

Slavery?

Maybe we can get Vancouver a super team...
                    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Two points...

CONTRACTS SHOULD DICTATE WHAT THE PLAYERS DO, AND WHEN THEY RUN OUT, THEN THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO FUCKING GO WHEREVER THEY WANT. The players shouldn't dictate what the owners do with their team, and if the owners allow it to happen...it's both faults. They aren't thinking about the viability of the game.

SUPERTEAMS ULTIMATELY ARE BAD FOR THE GAME. It's obvious why. Whether or not they win a title or not...if all the good players end up playing for BIG MARKET OR SUNNY TEAMS...the league will end up having what...ten teams? Sure...it's fun watching TEAMS beat SUPER TEAMS, but really...how viable are teams going to be if ultimately...people stop showing up because their best players are role players. Apparently the players and owner creating these Super Teams shouldn't be held accountable for the ultimate viability of the league?

...and apparently...

GO SLAVERY?????
                      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

The point that everyone should be paying close attention to is what happened in Cleveland last year. One player decided to leave the franchise, and it pretty much destroyed not only the team, but just about everything associated with it. To avoid something that sinister happening again, the invention of a franchise player clause must be introduced. In the future, this would prevent one ego-ed out, selfish player from holding a team (and by proxy, a city) hostage, and stop these "super teams" from developing.

The whole idea of teams built on three or four superstars is bad for the league, mainly because the talent pool is so limited. So while the teams in major markets may flourish, the teams outside (that are limited financially and have no way of attracting star players) will continue to languish. The idea of a sports dynasty is built upon the concept of a team competing and ultimately triumphing over the competition. Without some sense of parity in place, it becomes a hallow victory. As a result, people will stop paying attention. Look at NASCAR. Having one guy win all the marbles for the past five years has led to declining attendance and tv ratings. Don't believe for a minute that such a thing can't happen in a sport like basketball.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Honesty...I would LOVE an NBA with only 12-15 teams...

and having a legit minor league system...

I saw someone talking about a franchise player tag....I'll bet that's part of the owners discussion prior to next year's lockout...er...season...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

I'm pulling for the Nets...

Should they get Anthony...it appears as though the Cavs will receive a conditional first rounder and Troy Murphy for the Trade Exception. Murphy's contract would come off the books at the end of the season...

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Who gives a fuck? So sick of the 'Melo drama in this town. The guy is not a top league franchise player as much as he is a face. He rarely plays defense and wants to be recognized as the east coast Kobe. Part of him wanting to go to New York is so that his fugly gold digging wife Dum-Dum (or whatever her name is) can live the upper Manhattan lifestyle. Melo destroyed the Nuggets season I hope the little shit chokes in New York or wherever his egocentric ass ends up.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                                Two points...

CONTRACTS SHOULD DICTATE WHAT THE PLAYERS DO, AND WHEN THEY RUN OUT, THEN THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO FUCKING GO WHEREVER THEY WANT. The players shouldn't dictate what the owners do with their team, and if the owners allow it to happen...it's both faults. They aren't thinking about the viability of the game.
                                I agree. Where I seem to have a different perspective is that all is fair game under whatever CBA is in place.

So for example, if the players agree to a scenario where they allow a system where the drafting team can pay 20% more than someone else trying to sign them, they would likely gain in another area to their benefit.

They would lose potentially in their ability to move elsewhere (if they wanted a max deal). Both sides need to recognize the league is going to a bad place and they need to see that it is in their best interests to strengthen the NBA, not their own piece.

I see the biggest problem in the league as the big market owners see no need to help their weaker markets.

The players aren't to blame for the mess, although their character is wanting. I don't blame the NBA for the fact that these players are coddled from high school, through a year or two of college.

By the time they reach the NBA, how many of these players have any character? They don't. The system needs reform. Mandatory 2-3 years of college to play in the NBA?

I don't know. Just don't blame the players for working the CBA to their advantage - that is a crock
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...