Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Blizzard and Diary Expanded Vinyl in April??

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "There's more to me than The bat, The Dove, and the Alamo..."
    Yeah, Like Bob Daisley, the guy who with Randy Rhoads, wrote your career defining two Amazing,Timeless Albums. Dick! Where were Bob and Lee in that documentary? I'll bet they are not even mentioned.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    "There's more to me than The bat, The Dove, and the Alamo..."
    Yeah, Like Bob Daisley, the guy who with Randy Rhoads, wrote your career defining two Amazing,Timeless Albums. Dick! Where were Bob and Lee in that documentary? I'll bet they are not even mentioned.
    Speaking of which, did Jake E. Lee get any credit for the riffs he did for Bark at the Moon? I seem to remember Ozzy was the only one credited with writing anything.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post
    Speaking of which, did Jake E. Lee get any credit for the riffs he did for Bark at the Moon? I seem to remember Ozzy was the only one credited with writing anything.
    The more relevant question would be if he actually wrote the riffs. And I say that because of an interview Ozzy did with Circus magazine in 1982. Ironically enough it was published about a week before the plane crash, but obviously done several months before then. And Ozzy was describing how he already had the next two albums planned out and in the process of writing. Titles like "Bark of the Moon", "Rock n Roll Rebel" and "Killer of Giants" were specifically mentioned. So clearly those songs existed in one form or another when Randy Rhoads was still alive. If any demos of that material with Randy exist, I'd love to hear them, but so far I haven't heard of any.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    The more relevant question would be if he actually wrote the riffs. And I say that because of an interview Ozzy did with Circus magazine in 1982. Ironically enough it was published about a week before the plane crash, but obviously done several months before then. And Ozzy was describing how he already had the next two albums planned out and in the process of writing. Titles like "Bark of the Moon", "Rock n Roll Rebel" and "Killer of Giants" were specifically mentioned. So clearly those songs existed in one form or another when Randy Rhoads was still alive. If any demos of that material with Randy exist, I'd love to hear them, but so far I haven't heard of any.
    Interesting, but I remembered only Ozzy getting writing credits. This is from Wiki so, who knows how accurate it is...
    "Of all his solo albums only here is writing credited to Osbourne alone, although he states the title track was co-written with guitarist Jake E. Lee in the liner notes to The Ozzman Cometh. Osbourne's former bassist Bob Daisley has stated that he co-wrote most of the music with Lee and wrote the vast majority of the lyrics. Due to legal issues, neither Lee nor Daisley took credit for either of these. Daisley has stated, however, that he sold the lyrics to Osbourne."

well at least it seems Daisley got paid that time.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I'm sure they only existed as song titles and Jake wrote those riffs.

I'm with Wikki on this

"Bark at the Moon" is a metal song by Ozzy Osbourne. It is the first track on his 1983 album Bark at the Moon. The song was composed by Jake E. Lee and Bob Daisley with minor contributions from Osbourne and is four minutes and 17 seconds long.

Ozzy is just a thief who stole the writing credits.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tojoro View Post
    That does seem to be the case, Terry. It looks like each album will be available seperately, (vinyl or disc), but in order to get the video, you'd have to buy the box. It sucks, but $he knows damn well that if the dvd were released as a stand alone, the box would gather dust on the shelves.
    Of course, I'll be one of the retards buying this, but I have to, understand?
    I just try to look at it as putting money in his mom's pocket, eventhough $he owns the rights to portions of Randy's estate.
    It sucks I'll be forced to look at that ugly mug while watching that doc, but $he has to be there to fill in the blanks for her burnout husband...
    I've made similar purchases in the past.

I bought Robert Plant's 9 Lives box set even though I had most of his solo cds already just to get the dvd with all the promo videos.

I bought the BOV1 cd and dvd just for the two 1996 Roth tracks and 3 1984 promo videos.

I bought KISSology 3 essentially for the old 1970s footage.

Should Van Halen ever decide to release the vaults and the CVH stuff is part of a box set that includes Hagar shite and can't be purchased alone, I'll sadly buy that as well.

Am not too sure about this Ozzy Blizzard/Diary deluxe set, though. I think I'll just wait until the set is released and the RR footage is inevitably posted somewhere (either youtube or wherever), check it out and see if it's worth it. I already have the mid-1990s cd reissues (with the original recordings, not the bass/drum overdubs), and those are still just fine by me. The idea of shelling out $150 for some extended RR solos and a dvd...not so much, although I can obviously understand if one is a diehard RR fan that the choice is pretty simple.

Has little to nothing to do with Sharon and the sad spectacle that Ozzy has become. If there is a decent amount of 1981/1982 proshot RR live footage on the dvd other than the After Hours stuff, then maybe. If it's 15 minutes of 8 or 16mm bootlegged video swill...nah. I can live without it.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd like to have it...

It's some of the best music ever recorded no matter what anyone thinks of Ozzy and Sharon these days...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Have you picked up Scream yet ??
    In a frightening moment, I find myself agreeing with Elvis. 'Scream' is a damn good record.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I broke it out again after putting it away for a few months...

Great album!!

I like it even more...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know what you mean. It's also the only Ozzy album which isn't defined - for better or worse - by the guitarist who plays on it.

The songs stand up, as does Ozzy's voice.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ozzy's vocals are the best part...

He sounds youthful and very powerful...

I'm tempted to rate Scream number three behind Diary and Blizzard...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't know about that. I actually think that 'No Rest For the Wicked' is a good record. However, if you were to argue that it is very 'of its time' and hasn't aged well, I couldn't really disagree. 'Bark At The Moon' is underrated, IMO, largely because the piss thin production robs the songs of power.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like those albums quite a bit...

Scream is at the very least their equal overall...

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Both Jake and Bob received a payout for Bark At The Moon. It seems $he would rather pay someone once, as opposed to having them share not only in the royalties for years to come, but having their name in th credits as well:

20. Given Don Arden's statement that Ozzy's "command of the English language is minimal" and Ozzy's own admission that he can't play an instrument, how is it that Ozzy is the only person credited for songwriting on 'Bark At The Moon'?

BD. There were complicated situations for Jake E. Lee and me at the time regarding publishing contracts and song registration so we agreed to do a 'buy out', that is, we were paid a lump sum for our contributions both for playing and writing. I co-wrote the music with Jake and I wrote all the lyrics with the exception of a line or word or two from Ozzy. Jake and I couldn't be credited for the writing for that reason, although we did get our performance credits. It was very frustrating to put so much work into a recording and then see someone else take all the credit for the writing but that's what we agreed to so there's not a lot we can do now. Besides, with that lot, even without doing a 'buy out' there was never ever any guarantee that you'd be credited properly and accurately anyway. The one thing that stands out in my mind from when the record was first released is an interview Ozzy did with the magazine 'International Musician'. When asked how he'd written all those songs alone he told them that he'd done it on a piano using one hand. I wonder where the other hand was.

http://www.bobdaisley.com/interview-website.html

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Folks like to point out that Ozzy would have gone nowhere without Randy, but even I agree that is a stretch. That statement has a better fit when it comes to Bob Daisley.
    Blizzard and Diary were a group effort, for sure, but Bob had a good deal of experience, not only in his playing, but in lyric and songwriting as well.
    Randy was pretty green, having only played the LA club circuit and having to do the lions share of the songwriting in QR, which had an overconfident singer who didn't have the vocals or lyrics to back that up and mediocre bassist who was a childhood friend along for the party and the ride. I thought Drew Forsyth had some skills on the drums, though.
    Yeah, Randy cribbed stuff from the QR albums for the Ozzy material, but so what? It was his work, and no one outside of Japan was gonna hear it anyway, so, why not?
    Writing and playing with Bob bought the best out in Randy and helped his writing and playing really grow. This is evident in the huge strides made between Blizzard and Diary.
    Ozzy not only has a unique voice, but a real knack for coming up with some great vocal melodies, and Bob pointed out that some song titles and lyrical ideas did come from Ozzy, the majority are his own.
    Daisley performed on, wrote the lyrics for and co wrote Blizzard, Diary, Bark & Wicked. With the exception of Shot In The Dark, Bob wrote the lyrics for Ultimate. He only performed on Tears.
    He had written lyrics, but they were discarded as this was the album where outside writers were beginning to appear.
    The Daisley influence was a proven success, time and again. I am sure Ozzy would have liked to retain Bob all throughout his career, but $he despises Bob, as it his he who is largely responsible for her husband's success, and she can fuck him out of the millions he's owed and erase his performances, but in the end, all of Ozzy's fans know better.
    It was the fans that forced them to put the Trujillo/Bordin stickers on the '02 abortions, and it's the fans who wrote all of the reviews on amazon, itunes, etc, warning folks not to buy those two albums to the point where her husband threw her under the bus, admitting the mistake and now it's being corrected.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sharon is a Cunt. I'll be patiently waiting for the Video and FLAC torrents...
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks tojoro...

I've studied and been well aware of the info you've posted for many years...

My opinion though is that the Ozzy/Daisley music is among some of the greatest rock ever recorded and despite Sharon I will still purchase this set...

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Ozzy's vocals are the best part...

He sounds youthful and very powerful...

I'm tempted to rate Scream number three behind Diary and Blizzard...

That's what protools does. I wonder how many takes and how many splices it took to get there. I think the vocals sound good too, but there is a lot of studio magic making them so. I think the music is really bland and generic, for that reason I'm not a big fan of Scream. It is like his album of covers, very generic.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So what ??

I think the songs are really good. and the overall effort is damn good for any rocker over sixty...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks tojoro...

I've studied and been well aware of the info you've posted for many years...

My opinion though is that the Ozzy/Daisley music is among some of the greatest rock ever recorded and despite Sharon I will still purchase this set...

Yeah but you're buying it for the big cross...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not true...

I think including the cross is silly...

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I agree.

Perhaps he is getting old now and wants to get into Heaven (as Bill Cosby once said).

Or he is trying to pacify the Christian zealots out there.

Why the fuck doesn't he include a decapitated rubber bat?

Or a gram of coke or something?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Or a bonus DVD with footage of him trying to strangle his wife to death.

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "We've decided, you've got to go..."
    I'll bet, more than anything, $he doesn't let him anywhere near vodka!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Or a bonus DVD with footage of him trying to strangle his wife to death.
    "We've decided, you've got to go..."
    I'll bet, more than anything, $he doesn't let him anywhere near vodka!
    Didn't she hit him with a frying pan or a potted plant? Talk about a bizarro I Love Lucy skit come to life.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's what Sarzo said in his Off The Rails book, (which was obviously heavily edited). He said he could constantly hear them going at it, yelling, stuff breaking, etc...the next day, they'd each be sporting black eyes, missing clumps of hair and such...
    People balk at that time when Ozzy cracked Randy in the mug, but back then, it appears he hit everyone! i can't rwemember how she got him to stop strangling her when the vodka incident happened...

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

WTF?

Is his face melting in that pic?

Last time I saw a mouth like that I was pulling a hook out it!

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    I don't know about that. I actually think that 'No Rest For the Wicked' is a good record. However, if you were to argue that it is very 'of its time' and hasn't aged well, I couldn't really disagree. 'Bark At The Moon' is underrated, IMO, largely because the piss thin production robs the songs of power.
    I'd say that No Rest For The Wicked was an all-around step up from The Ultimate Sin: stronger songs, production, performances. By far the best stuff he ever did with Wylde, although the follow-up album had some decent moments.

Bark At The Moon was pretty good. A couple of duds, and the production wasn't quite as good as Dairy.

Truth be told, even the Blizzard production was a bit rough, but the tunes were so outstanding that the rough spots didn't hamper the proceedings, which wasn't quite as true for BATM.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know.... I was listening to Ultimate Sin the other day and I think the album had HUGE potential. Bark at the Moon is a good album but a Major drop when compairing it to the first two. The production was horrible. Ozzy mentioned that Tommy Aldridge wasn't right for that album, I agree. If Ultimate Sin was mixed a little different (stronger quitar tone, more energy from Ozzy and double-tracking of his vocals ) we'd be talking about it as being the BEST Ozzy album period! Ozzmosis is still my favorite post Randy Ozzy album.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BruinJer View Post
    YIf Ultimate Sin was mixed a little different (stronger quitar tone, more energy from Ozzy and double-tracking of his vocals ) we'd be talking about it as being the BEST Ozzy album period!
    That's a hell of a stretch for sure...

Phil Sousan and Randy Costillo killed that album though...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The arrangements on The Ultimate Sin in general were unimaginative and flat. It's a shame because there was potential there.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BruinJer View Post
    You know.... I was listening to Ultimate Sin the other day and I think the album had HUGE potential. Bark at the Moon is a good album but a Major drop when compairing it to the first two. The production was horrible. Ozzy mentioned that Tommy Aldridge wasn't right for that album, I agree. If Ultimate Sin was mixed a little different (stronger quitar tone, more energy from Ozzy and double-tracking of his vocals ) we'd be talking about it as being the BEST Ozzy album period! Ozzmosis is still my favorite post Randy Ozzy album.
    http://tinyurl.com/46l6m7q

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    The arrangements on The Ultimate Sin in general were unimaginative and flat. It's a shame because there was potential there.
    I absolutely LOVE Shot in The Dark, Secret Loser, and Killer Of Giants. The rest is just mediocre filler that I skip past on the cd.

That was also my first tour seeing Ozzy...with the original Metallica opening up. Was so psyched. I remember the Shot In The Dark video being shown on MTV a couple hours before I left for the show. Man that fired me up.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ozzy has always struggled a lot to sing the chorus of Shot in the Dark.

The chorus to Killer of Giants is IMHO not good. As far as the rest of it goes they tried really hard to do a Diary/Revelation song but without Bob Daisley and Randy they don't get there with the writing.

If it was the album I really hoped it was going to be then Secret Loser would have been a filler instead of one of the better songs.

I think the whole thing was recorded during one of Ozzy's heaviest booze periods.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only Ozzy records I have besides the first two are Bark, Speak of the Devil, No more Tears. I've heard enough of the others to know that I'm not interested in hearing them twice.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only O$$y albums that could hold my attention were the ones with Rhoads. After that it seemed like each album that followed had 3 or 4 decent songs...

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I happened by Bob Daisley's FB page today where a fan inquired about the forthcoming box and Bob had this to say:

Bob Daisley Hi Mark, I offered my rare tapes of our writing and rehearsal sessions from 1979, 1980 and 1981 to them, as bonus material for the re-releases, for a royalty but they turned me down and said that Lee and I aren't getting royalties for our performances, as has been the case in the past. Neither Lee nor I have been consulted or considered in any of this, to them we're nobodies. However, to answer your question, we have and will continue to receive our songwriting royalties though. Thanks for your support, Bob.

What a complete and total douchebag she is! This box is going to be great, but Bob's material could have made it so much better.
    Sadly, I feel I already know the answer to this, but I wonder if she is going to let him release it on his own?
    I'm sorry, but how the fuck is this a smart decision from a business/management standpoint?

At the very least, they're getting their performances restored, that's the important thing, and that they're getting paid something.
    This may be the reason the extended versions and the Southampton gig got the axe.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    she'll wait and use their material to fleece fans for version 2.0 in a few years. Then it will be the deluxe deluxe edition.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I happened by Bob Daisley's FB page today where a fan inquired about the forthcoming box and Bob had this to say:

Bob Daisley Hi Mark, I offered my rare tapes of our writing and rehearsal sessions from 1979, 1980 and 1981 to them, as bonus material for the re-releases, for a royalty but they turned me down and said that Lee and I aren't getting royalties for our performances, as has been the case in the past. Neither Lee nor I have been consulted or considered in any of this, to them we're nobodies. However, to answer your question, we have and will continue to receive our songwriting royalties though. Thanks for your support, Bob.

What a complete and total douchebag she is! This box is going to be great, but Bob's material could have made it so much better.
    Sadly, I feel I already know the answer to this, but I wonder if she is going to let him release it on his own?
    I'm sorry, but how the fuck is this a smart decision from a business/management standpoint?

At the very least, they're getting their performances restored, that's the important thing, and that they're getting paid something.
    This may be the reason the extended versions and the Southampton gig got the axe.
    What a sad sad sad twisted cunt that woman is.

Does she not realise she and Ozzy have almost certainly got less than 20 years left on this planet and there is not a big difference between dying with $100 million in the bank compared to dying with $100 million and $50 grand.

Wow her sick gangster dad really did a number on her fucking her up for life.

And while we are on the subject of money, it really makes me wonder about the world in which we live when it's possible for Jack Osbourne, someone with almost no appreciable talent at anything, who hasn't done fucking anything for anyone ever never mind an honest days work is apparently worth $10 million over and above whatever his nightmare mother has stolen over the years.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    And while we are on the subject of money, it really makes me wonder about the world in which we live when it's possible for Jack Osbourne, someone with almost no appreciable talent at anything, who hasn't done fucking anything for anyone ever never mind an honest days work is apparently worth $10 million over and above whatever his nightmare mother has stolen over the years.
    Exactly what I've been saying about people like Paris Hilton and all the BCE spawn for years. I guess the inheritance tax thing might be a little more complicated with the Osbournes, since they're British citizens living and making money in the US, but I'd really like to see all these useless offspring attempt to live on their own.

Hell at least Ozzy's older son built his own career as a club DJ or whatever it is he's doing. Got nothing to do with his dad's career at all (since Ozzy or Sabbath records probably don't get a lot of time on his turntables) but at least he's doing his own thing.

Thread Information