Thread: Worst albums in rock history?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yeah, what happened with that? There was supposed to be a British series of reissues with at least a couple of the studio albums on vinyl, and then the rest of the catalogue would follow on CD. This was something like two or three years ago, and nothing ever showed up in the U.S. Hell, at least they should reissue the Hatful of Hollow and Louder Than Bombs compilations, which for many Americans was their first taste of the band on imports.
    Rhino can do remasters right when they want to. I think it falls more to the artists and what they want included than it does the label, really. For example, you can have Black Sabbath's "Black Box", which sounds great, but has absolutely NO "new" material on any of the albums & just one short DVD of unreleased video. Or you can have The Grateful Dead box "The Golden Road" which extends most of their albums to twice the original length with outtakes, alt mixes, and live material, plus a 2 disc set of demos and live stuff from the band's early days. Their Ramones reissues are stellar too, with a decent amount of bonus material on each disc. My favorite out of that one has to be the version of "Howling At The Moon" on the Too Tough To Die remaster, which actually sounds like a Ramones song, instead of just Joey singing over a bunch of video game noises like the "original" version. And the pre-Spectorized songs on End of the Century are great too.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The first Van Halen album was great because it brought rock and roll back and it was fresh and new at the same time. Everything and I mean everything was disco then. You had to live through that to appreciate the painful experience it was and how relieving it was to hear that Van Halen for the first time. We were stuck in disco and K-Tel grade pop music. It was a horrible time.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, what happened with that? There was supposed to be a British series of reissues with at least a couple of the studio albums on vinyl, and then the rest of the catalogue would follow on CD. This was something like two or three years ago, and nothing ever showed up in the U.S. Hell, at least they should reissue the Hatful of Hollow and Louder Than Bombs compilations, which for many Americans was their first taste of the band on imports.
    In a Uncut Magazine 2006 interview with Johnny Marr on the 20th Anniversary of 'The Queen Is Dead' he said he was approached by Sire Records to oversee the "remastering process" of The Smith's catalog since Sire scored big on the Ramones remasters. Marr said he personally wanted have a hand in the process with people like Brain May, The Edge, Lindsay Buckingham having control over the remastering process of their group's efforts and then it was halted. My best guess is that prick Morrisey either filing an injunction or doing something to halt the process. Morrisey is one bitter asshole claiming it was the drummer Mike Joyce's heroin addiction the split The Smiths up (pay no mind that Morrisey was already working on a solo effort before 'Strangeways' was released in 87) and that bass player Andy Rourke was far more of a junkie at this time. And apart from Morrisey and his pre-emo utterings I still say The Smiths were probably one of the best casted bands to ever come along. Marr was a riff-writing genius in those days - even Keith Richards praised him.

Marr said there are no bonus tracks and pretty much what they recorded it what's out there. Some remastering process can be great or it can suck (like those Ozzy scab albums and Billy Idol's catalog) but I would personally like to hear a cleaner version of 'The Queen Is Dead' and so would Marr saying he doesn't remember much of the recording process of that album because he was stoned out of his mind most of the way through it where he would go into a tiny room in the house where it was recorded, toke for hours, write a guitar riff, 4-track it, bring it to the band, play it and write another. Almost like a Bob Dylan way of doing things.
    Last edited by Kristy; 03-03-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Or you can have The Grateful Dead box "The Golden Road" which extends most of their albums to twice the original length with outtakes, alt mixes, and live material, plus a 2 disc set of demos and live stuff from the band's early days.
    Get ready for the 60+ disc set covering the 1972 European tour. No, I'm not kidding, it will come out later this year.

Europe '72: The Complete Recordings

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Get ready for the 60+ disc set covering the 1972 European tour. No, I'm not kidding, it will come out later this year.

Europe '72: The Complete Recordings
    Holy shit!

The shows from that tour are fantastic, but that may be a bit much even for me!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    The first Van Halen album was great because it brought rock and roll back and it was fresh and new at the same time. Everything and I mean everything was disco then. You had to live through that to appreciate the painful experience it was and how relieving it was to hear that Van Halen for the first time. We were stuck in disco and K-Tel grade pop music. It was a horrible time.
    I also think the first VH record slapped a lot of pretentious punk in the face as well. Though I don't think they purposefully set out to do that.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Pink Floyd is sleepy time music.
    More like fuck time music. I have personally shagged the arse off many a hottie with Dark Side of the Moon as the soundtrack. Pink Floyd is amazing!
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    By K-Tel grade I'm assuming you mean the compilations sold on TV that didn't feel it necessary to have the original artists on the songs.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Van Halen was like getting punched in the face hard by a left hook you didn't see coming. All those awful late 80 bands like Poison that were just bad copies of Van Halen didn't exist. It was disco or The Captain & Tennille singing Muskrat Love. It was just awful. Even KISS degraded to the disco thing. All the bands like Led Zeppelin had broken up or were so high they sucked. The Ramones weren't given the time of day and nobody knew who they were.

I think 1978 was when what exploded in the 80's was starting to hatch. The punk, the new wave, the return of rock. It all was percolating then and then it exploded and we all went holy shit and lapped it all up like thirsty dogs. The 70's wee gone. That whole hippie/Vietnam/Watergate/Nixon/Jimmy Carter shit was gone and AIDS hadn't reared it's ugly head yet.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post
    By K-Tel grade I'm assuming you mean the compilations sold on TV that didn't feel it necessary to have the original artists on the songs.
    It was just all those shitty songs you heard on the K-Tel commercials. Honestly, who bought those records or 8 track tapes anyways but they were selling the shit hard. Those commercial were always on.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There were a couple of weird types of compilations when I was a kid. The K-Tel ones offered you something like 200 top hits on a single LP, which meant you got about a minute or less of each song. Then there were "sounds-like" albums, that had some bozos playing the hits of the day in a manner that did everything but sound like the original. For some reason, they were always sold at drug stores.

A few years later, people you never heard of were selling similar albums on late night tv. These guys made a fortune under the names Slim Whitman and Boxcar Willie, and it was pretty much the same scam, only updated to include mail order.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 03-03-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I guess it is a legal battle after re-reading the interview:

"In December 1996 [drummer] Mike Joyce contested his 10% share of Smiths performance royalties in the High Court and won; Morrisey and Marr were ordered to pay in the region of @$750,000 between them with bass player Rouke also on a 10% royalty who had already settled out of court in 1990 for a less than a tenth of that sum. Marr compiled the verdict but, a decade on, Morrisey continues to fight it. Ever since, the singer has regularly expressed a pathological contempt for Joyce, publicly accusing the drummer of having "destroyed The Smiths."

So...there ya go.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    More like fuck time music. I have personally shagged the arse off many a hottie with Dark Side of the Moon as the soundtrack. Pink Floyd is amazing!
    Uh-huh. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrre you did.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I also think the first VH record slapped a lot of pretentious punk in the face as well. Though I don't think they purposefully set out to do that.
    I think that too. Then again, when you hear "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love", it sounds as if they're intentionally making fun of it all.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    All the bands like Led Zeppelin had broken up or were so high they sucked.
    News flash: Zeppelin always sucked.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Atomic Punk was written in reaction to the punk scene, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm so disappointed to hear you say that

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why? They were horrible. Okay, after Zep IV they really sucked. Talk about poor production and burnt offerings.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There were a couple of weird types of compilations when I was a kid. The K-Tel ones offered you something like 200 top hits on a single LP, which meant you got about a minute or less of each song. Then there were "sounds-like" albums, that had some bozos playing the hits of the day in a manner that did everything but sound like the original. For some reason, they were always sold at drug stores.
    The only album that comes with a prescription.

Nobody asks for a cover band to do the Night Chicago Died , especially on the turntable.
    I saw one years later where it was the original artists, but a different version of the song that the band did 20 years later. So strange.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nobody asks for a cover band to do the Night Chicago Died , especially on the turntable.
    I saw one years later where it was the original artists, but a different version of the song that the band did 20 years later. So strange.
    Shit, around that time there were competing versions of songs on both the charts and the radio. Paper Lace (who did The Night Chicago Died) were fighting it out with a group called Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods (whom all the guys in middle school predictably called Bo Donaldson and the Gaywoods) because both bands had released versions of the ghastly tune "Billy Don't Be a Hero". You'd also have two completely different songs with the same title in the charts as well, generally confusing the living fuck out of everybody. Bad Company probably had it happen most often, as they shared song titles with Barry White ("Can't Get Enough Of Your Love") and Roberta Flack ("Feel Like Makin' Love"), and probably wound up boosting the band's sales by accident.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why?
    Obviously we don't share the same opinion regarding Led Zeppelin but your dislike of them seems so strong that I am taken aback. Zeppelin is usually a unanimous positive vote in all circles I run in. To praise The Smiths while denouncing Zeppelin mystifies me.

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My list is opinion not fact and two, if such a list were to exist it would most likely take up this entire forum. So relax the knot in your panties and give some leeway that not everybody likes the same mediocre shit that YOU listen to.
    Ha ha!

Now you're getting it.

...finally!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sitting on a park bench!

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why? They were horrible. Okay, after Zep IV they really sucked. Talk about poor production and burnt offerings.
    To use your words; "relax the knot in your panties and give some leeway that not everybody likes the same mediocre shit that YOU listen to.".

That line will come in so handy for replying to the rest of your posts in this thread.

:tongue0011:

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sometimes I think you sit at home laughing at our irate reactions to comments like that - there's a cheeky sense of humour there
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My list is opinion not fact
    Of course. We can't both be right about everything...

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pink Floyd - Animals

Oh my god, you're just the dumbest bitch on the planet. Your opinion are complete garbage! Why are you here? Jimmy Page is a bad producer and now this? Animals?

Fuck you and your ignorant thoughts, cunt.
    gnaw on it

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ODShowtime View Post
    Oh my god, you're just the dumbest bitch on the planet. Your opinion are complete garbage! Why are you here? Jimmy Page is a bad producer and now this? Animals?

Well, I know what album to get you for Christmas now.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    Obviously we don't share the same opinion regarding Led Zeppelin but your dislike of them seems so strong that I am taken aback. Zeppelin is usually a unanimous positive vote in all circles I run in. To praise The Smiths while denouncing Zeppelin mystifies me.
    At least The Smiths had originality. But hey, if you like plagiarist rock shit with ear-numbing production, moronic lyrics from Hobbitville then you do. I realize that Zeppelin is somewhat of a sacred cow but they don't mean anything to me and never will.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

And you can go fuck yourself with a chainsaw while blowing Mr Badguy, little boy.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

......jesus fucking christ.

I wish I had an album worth getting hostile over.

After reading this post, I'm seriously considering investing in pharmaceuticals.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Yo Mick...i see three of em."
    "Hit the one in the middle Rock."
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ok, you should be publically flogged with a cat of 9 tails for that post.
    Quote Originally Posted by hideyoursheep View Post
    When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
    "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ok, worst albums in rock history-
    mine.
    all of them.

i'd love to actually win the industry award for being the worst band ever, and for making the worst albums of all time.

i'd also love to be officially declared "the anti-christ" by the pope.

everybody else is busy with the great pissing contest to be the best.
    i don't want anything to do with that shit.

hey, i was really hoping to win a "razzie" for carnies.
    i wonder if there is a music equivalent of the razzie?
    what ever it is.........i want the "lifetime achievement award"
    for being the worst of all-time!
    Last edited by ace diamond; 03-04-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ace diamond View Post
    ok, you should be publically flogged with a cat of 9 tails for that post.
    Unlike yourself, who should be flogged with several chunks of reinforced concrete after every post.

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Unlike yourself, who should be flogged with several chunks of reinforced concrete after every post.
    oh, c'mon chef.......not everypost........after all, i do have my rare and occasional
    moments of lucid clarity and post something useful.
    now, that being said, chef........she was blasting the mighty led zeppelin......
    something had to be said........

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ace diamond View Post
    ok, worst albums in rock history-
    mine.
    all of them.

i'd love to actually win the industry award for being the worst band ever, and for making the worst albums of all time.

i'd also love to be officially declared "the anti-christ" by the pope.

everybody else is busy with the great pissing contest to be the best.
    i don't want anything to do with that shit.

hey, i was really hoping to win a "razzie" for carnies.
    i wonder if there is a music equivalent of the razzie?
    what ever it is.........i want the "lifetime achievement award"
    for being the worst of all-time!
    Wow, what a surprise Ace attention whoring on himself............I bet ya the guy has never made two posts without drawing attention to his lame ass music or his pathetic life, ever.

It used to be fun mocking you but now it's a chore.

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    Wow, what a surprise Ace attention whoring on himself............
    hey shitheel, you dumbfuck........read back a page or 2, you will see that i am not the one who brought up
    the subject of my stuff.
    here, i'll spare you the effort:
    Oh Man I got one that blows away every album in the worst albums in rock history.
    And trust me if you heard it you would agree.
    It's impossible to listen to this mess and not gravitate toward holding your nose, vomiting uncontrollably , turning over furniture , and then jumping out of the window.

And no it's not Disasterpiece Theater with Weeble Diamond.
    No.
    this album is so fucking horrendous that I am apologizing in advance to those brave souls that are going to listen to it.
    And the album is:
    SONNY BONO - INNER VIEWS
    Yes, with such titles as Pammie's on a Bummer, and I Just Sit There you know you're in trouble.
    My guess is that Sonny listened to Sargent Pepper and decided to shift his efforts to creating the worst sound you could ever imagine.
    Rhino was re-releasing it at some point. I can't fathom why unless they hate human beings.

all the albums in this thread are brilliant in comparison.
    SEE, SHITHEEL, I TOLD YOU I DIDN'T BRING IT UP FIRST.</ITHE p sevkidur nCthey...fo20g3F]<>
    I bet ya the guy has never made two posts without drawing attention to his lame ass music or his pathetic life, ever.
    OH, THAT'S NOT TRUE IN THE LEAST BIT.
    It used to be fun mocking you but now it's a chore.
    oh, you don't say?
    well then, maybe you'll get tired of it and stop.
    MY MISSION IS TO MAKE EVERYONE SO FUCKING SICK OF IT,
    YOU WILL NEVER WANT TO EVEN THINK ABOUT IT EVER AGAIN, LET ALONE
    CONTINUE TO MESS WITH ME.
    IS IT STARTING TO WORK YET?
    Last edited by ace diamond; 03-04-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Kristy, feel free to review Ace's album, much like what you've said about Samuel Roy Hagar in another thread.

All opposition to your comments about Pink Floyd and Zeppelin will be forgiven .
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchainme View Post
    Kristy, feel free to review Ace's album
    WHICH ONE?
    i've got 4 of them.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They were incredible assholes with criminal drug/organized crime connected management with a very violent dysfunctional drummer who did the world a favor by killing himself with his stupidity before he killed someone with his anger.

Thread Information