X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
    By K-Tel grade I'm assuming you mean the compilations sold on TV that didn't feel it necessary to have the original artists on the songs.
    There were a couple of weird types of compilations when I was a kid. The K-Tel ones offered you something like 200 top hits on a single LP, which meant you got about a minute or less of each song. Then there were "sounds-like" albums, that had some bozos playing the hits of the day in a manner that did everything but sound like the original. For some reason, they were always sold at drug stores.

A few years later, people you never heard of were selling similar albums on late night tv. These guys made a fortune under the names Slim Whitman and Boxcar Willie, and it was pretty much the same scam, only updated to include mail order.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 03-03-2011, 04:34 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I guess it is a legal battle after re-reading the interview:

"In December 1996 [drummer] Mike Joyce contested his 10% share of Smiths performance royalties in the High Court and won; Morrisey and Marr were ordered to pay in the region of @$750,000 between them with bass player Rouke also on a 10% royalty who had already settled out of court in 1990 for a less than a tenth of that sum. Marr compiled the verdict but, a decade on, Morrisey continues to fight it. Ever since, the singer has regularly expressed a pathological contempt for Joyce, publicly accusing the drummer of having "destroyed The Smiths."

So...there ya go.

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
        More like fuck time music. I have personally shagged the arse off many a hottie with Dark Side of the Moon as the soundtrack. Pink Floyd is amazing!
        Uh-huh. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrre you did.

Comment

• hambon4lif
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
          I also think the first VH record slapped a lot of pretentious punk in the face as well. Though I don't think they purposefully set out to do that.
          I think that too. Then again, when you hear "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love", it sounds as if they're intentionally making fun of it all.

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            All the bands like Led Zeppelin had broken up or were so high they sucked.
            News flash: Zeppelin always sucked.

Comment

• kwame k
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Feb 2008

I also think the first VH record slapped a lot of pretentious punk in the face as well. Though I don't think they purposefully set out to do that.
              Atomic Punk was written in reaction to the punk scene, IIRC.
              Originally posted by vandeleur
              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• lesfunk
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I'm so disappointed to hear you say that
                http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Why? They were horrible. Okay, after Zep IV they really sucked. Talk about poor production and burnt offerings.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                    There were a couple of weird types of compilations when I was a kid. The K-Tel ones offered you something like 200 top hits on a single LP, which meant you got about a minute or less of each song. Then there were "sounds-like" albums, that had some bozos playing the hits of the day in a manner that did everything but sound like the original. For some reason, they were always sold at drug stores.
                    The only album that comes with a prescription.

Nobody asks for a cover band to do the Night Chicago Died , especially on the turntable.
                    I saw one years later where it was the original artists, but a different version of the song that the band did 20 years later. So strange.

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                      Nobody asks for a cover band to do the Night Chicago Died , especially on the turntable.
                      I saw one years later where it was the original artists, but a different version of the song that the band did 20 years later. So strange.
                      Shit, around that time there were competing versions of songs on both the charts and the radio. Paper Lace (who did The Night Chicago Died) were fighting it out with a group called Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods (whom all the guys in middle school predictably called Bo Donaldson and the Gaywoods) because both bands had released versions of the ghastly tune "Billy Don't Be a Hero". You'd also have two completely different songs with the same title in the charts as well, generally confusing the living fuck out of everybody. Bad Company probably had it happen most often, as they shared song titles with Barry White ("Can't Get Enough Of Your Love") and Roberta Flack ("Feel Like Makin' Love"), and probably wound up boosting the band's sales by accident.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• lesfunk
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Why?
                        Obviously we don't share the same opinion regarding Led Zeppelin but your dislike of them seems so strong that I am taken aback. Zeppelin is usually a unanimous positive vote in all circles I run in. To praise The Smiths while denouncing Zeppelin mystifies me.
                        http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

My list is opinion not fact and two, if such a list were to exist it would most likely take up this entire forum. So relax the knot in your panties and give some leeway that not everybody likes the same mediocre shit that YOU listen to.
                          Ha ha!

Now you're getting it.

...finally!
                          sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Why? They were horrible. Okay, after Zep IV they really sucked. Talk about poor production and burnt offerings.
                            To use your words; "relax the knot in your panties and give some leeway that not everybody likes the same mediocre shit that YOU listen to.".

That line will come in so handy for replying to the rest of your posts in this thread.

:tongue0011:
                            sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Sometimes I think you sit at home laughing at our irate reactions to comments like that - there's a cheeky sense of humour there
                              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

My list is opinion not fact
                                Of course. We can't both be right about everything...

Comment

Working...