Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries

Barbour says Obama cheers for higher gas prices

WASHINGTON – Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, a potential presidential contender, accused the Obama administration Wednesday of favoring a run-up in gas prices to prod consumers to buy more fuel-efficient cars.

Barbour cited 2008 comments from Steven Chu, now President Barack Obama's energy secretary, that a gradual increase in gasoline taxes could coax consumers into dumping their gas-guzzlers and finding homes closer to where they work. Chu, then a Nobel Prize-winning professor, argued that higher costs per gallon could force investments in alternative fuels and spur cleaner energy sources.

"This administration's policies have been designed to drive up the cost of energy in the name of reducing pollution, in the name of making very expensive alternative fuels more economically competitive," Barbour said during a U.S. Chamber of Commerce breakfast across the street from the White House.

In 2008, while the head of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, Chu told The Wall Street Journal that energy prices were the lynchpin to an energy overhaul.

"Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe," Chu said in September 2008.

Obama has distanced himself from those comments but his critics seize on them as yet another example of Obama trying to impose a European approach on the United States.
    Barbour said higher energy costs already hurt workers in his state and any increase would cripple Mississippi's economy.

"In 2008, $4 gasoline brought my state to its knees before Wall Street melted down," Barbour said. "We've blown through $3 gasoline all the way to 4."

Barbour said Obama's energy team wouldn't be happy until gas prices reached $9 a gallon.

Barbour is still weighing a presidential campaign and plans to visit Iowa twice this month. Barbour's advisers say he won't make a decision before the Mississippi legislature ends its session in early April and it could be May before he announces a decision.

In the meantime, though, he has honed his criticism of the, particularly on economic issues. With pocketbook issues poised to dominate the 2012 election, prospective presidential candidates are focusing their messages on Obama's stewardship of the economy and are seeking to cast his re-election as a referendum on the economy and jobs.

"We don't have a $1.5 trillion deficit this year because taxes are too low," said Barbour, a former Republican National Committee chairman who helped the Republican Governors Association make major gains in November's elections as the group's chairman. "It's because we spend too much."
    He then turned his criticism to federal spending, a key concern among the conservatives who are likely to pick their 2012 presidential nominee.

"This administration spent $7 trillion in the first two years and lost 7 million jobs," Barbour said, then joked it was a good thing the government didn't spend $12 trillion to lose 12 million jobs.

"The fact is: a bigger government means a smaller economy," he said.

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Goddamn it, if that boy keeps raisin the gas prices, how the Hell am I gonna afford to have my campaign fundraisin' and crossburnin' parties???
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (03-03-2011)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You need a new angle...

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 08:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Gas was rarely, if ever below $3 bucks/gallon when Boosh was in charge, now that a Democrat is in office, it's henny-penny "the sky is falling!"

Stuff happens!

And why shouldn't Americans buy more fuel-efficient cars?

You have Europeans driving turbo charged 180 hp 4 cylinder automobiles on the Autobahn at 120 mph, and you have dumb-assed Americans driving 500 hp gas-guzzling V-8's that are seldom used to go above 70 mph.

Don't bitch.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not to mention a lot of those Europeans probably take the train or a bus for their daily commute and only use the Autobahn on the weekend. But Elvis and the Koch Brothers aren't big fans of that either.

And while Mississippi probably wouldn't be the most popular destination for high speed rail, Barbour could claim credit for creating jobs, because at the very least, there would be a track going through his state, say from New Orleans to Jacksonville, or whatever. Someone's gotta build a piece of that system in any state it passes through. You would think any governor, regardless of party, would step up and grab the good press (and state revenue) that would result from such projects.
    Last edited by FORD; 03-02-2011 at 07:10 PM.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    You need a new angle...
    How's this one..........

America's Most Toxic Cities, 2011

No. 5 Baton Rouge, La.

Link

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Not to mention a lot of those Europeans probably take the train or a bus for their daily commute and only use the Autobahn on the weekend. But Elvis and the Koch Brothers aren't big fans of that either.

And while Mississippi probably wouldn't be the most popular destination for high speed rail, Barbour could claim credit for creating jobs, because at the very least, there would be a track going through his state, say from New Orleans to Jacksonville, or whatever. Someone's gotta build a piece of that system in any state it passes through. You would think any governor, regardless of party, would step up and grab the good press (and state revenue) that would result from such projects.
    Not when it's a Democrat's idea.........

Although I remember reading if we did do High Speed Rail here we'd have to out source the overseeing of the project because no American company has the experience building one.....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,399 Times in 6,055 Posts

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, a potential presidential contender, accused the Obama administration Wednesday of favoring a run-up in gas prices to prod consumers to buy more fuel-efficient cars.
    Accused?

That's been a consensus policy in Europe for years.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If they need to bring in a few Japanese advisors, so be it. I think they need to go all "JFK Moon Landing" on this shit and make a goal of having 5 main high speed rail lines done by 2020. All of them following Interstate Highway corridors

The I-5 corridor on the West Coast from Bellingham to San Diego. Eventually it should go north into Vancouver BC, and I'm sure Hagar would love it if it went south all the way down the Baja peninsula, but of course there would be some "security" concerns in play there

The I-95 corridor down the East Coast from Portland Maine to Miami.

The I-8/I-10 corridor from San Diego to Jacksonville.

The I-90/94 corridor from Seattle to Boston

The I-35 corridor down the center of the country from The Twin Cities to San Antonio.

Eventually there should be a train running parallel to ALL the major north/south & east/west Interstates, but that's a good start for the first decade of it.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'd love to ride high speed rail and it would put Americans to work.....the other thing is shipping the consumer goods all over the country from major port cities to middle America.

A train can haul a ton of freight 436 miles on a gallon of fuel......let's see an 18-wheeler do that.

Oh yeah, I-75 runs from The Upper Peninsula of Michigan all the way to Florida....so that would have to be one.
    Last edited by kwame k; 03-02-2011 at 07:48 PM.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Barbour is just a fat lying piece of shit! Especially with the way he handled the BP gulf spill in Mississippi.

13. Thanked BITEYOASS for this KICKASS post:

Blaze (03-02-2011)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    I'd love to ride high speed rail and it would put Americans to work.....the other thing is shipping the consumer goods all over the country from major port cities to middle America.

A train can haul a ton of freight 436 miles on a gallon of fuel......let's see an 18-wheeler do that.

Oh yeah, I-75 runs from The Upper Peninsula of Michigan all the way to Florida....so that would have to be one.
    Considering that Detroit could use a boost, I'm sure it would be easy to make the case that it should be included in the initial I-90/94 West-East run. Then I- 75 could be in the second wave.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    If they need to bring in a few Japanese advisors, so be it. I think they need to go all "JFK Moon Landing" on this shit and make a goal of having 5 main high speed rail lines done by 2020. All of them following Interstate Highway corridors

The I-5 corridor on the West Coast from Bellingham to San Diego. Eventually it should go north into Vancouver BC, and I'm sure Hagar would love it if it went south all the way down the Baja peninsula, but of course there would be some "security" concerns in play there

The I-95 corridor down the East Coast from Portland Maine to Miami.

The I-8/I-10 corridor from San Diego to Jacksonville.

The I-90/94 corridor from Seattle to Boston

The I-35 corridor down the center of the country from The Twin Cities to San Antonio.

Eventually there should be a train running parallel to ALL the major north/south & east/west Interstates, but that's a good start for the first decade of it.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's a bit ironic to me that you think it's laughable that the US would even attempt to have a transit system like her economic competitors when the country was built on railways in the first place.

Maybe it isn't affordable just now but there is a huge difference between spending and investment. At this point in the economic cycle governments should be investing whilst trying to keep spending under control.

Also why not convert a couple of hundred billion of spending from military to infrastructure? The politicians and special interest groups could still get their bribes and campaigns paid for and at the end of it at least you would have something to show for it.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...
    Yeah, you would have laughed in 1961 when JFK said we could land on the moon within the decade too, wouldn't you?

Well guess what? They did it. Now you could say they did it because it made sense, or because they were paranoid that the Commies would do it first if we didn't. Whatever works, they made it happen.

Of course this time around, the Commies (that would be the BCE-enabled Chinese Commies) have already beaten us to the punch. And given the trade imbalance, they did it with OUR FUCKING MONEY.

Doesn't that embarrass the Hell out of you, especially coming from a nation where rickshaws and bicycles were the only transportation for the majority of the population when your beloved St. Ronnie of the Jellybean Kingdom was in the White House?

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Makes too much sense and since our infrastructure is falling apart you wonder what the spoon fed sect are thinking......power grid, railway, roads, bridges, schools and the like are bad things

I guess like clean air, water and healthy food....it's just too much of a stretch for their thinking.

How in the fuck do you achieve these things without investing money........

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Going to the moon is pioneering and real americans are pioneers...

They are also independent and love their personal transportation...

Americans are not prepared to wait in line for a body scanner and a pat down to get on a high speed rail that takes three times longer than a plane...

I'd love to see a real poll to determine, or to see just how few americans would actually support such a money pit of an idea...

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The gaping hole in your logic is High Speed Rail........they go really, really, really fast

You and you ilk would of been totally against going to the Moon.....considering a Democrat came up with the idea.

High Speed Rail pollutes less than airplanes, too but I wouldn't want logic to get in the way of your opinions.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How in the fuck do you achieve these things without investing money........

You don't. You just fill your churches with a bunch of idiot right wing preachers who expand on the James Watt theory of natural resources (mis)management.

"I don't know how many years we have until the Lord returns, but when He does, He'll heal the planet, so it doesn't matter if we trash it now".

Which would be fine if JC did decide to come back this May (as some churches believe He will). But if He decided to wait another 2000 years, well, this planet would be pretty empty by then. Except for the cockroaches, and possibly Keith Richards.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hey ELVIS just a quick message from back on planet fucking Earth.

In the last 2 days I've travelled a thousand miles by rail at 100 mph and at no fucking point did I go through any security checks.

Get a fucking grip with the latest 'Death Panel' style right wing fantasy.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Let's see the poll...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You and you ilk would of been totally against going to the Moon.....
    They would stand there waiting for Jesus to take them there instead.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Let's see the poll...
    So tell people lies and then poll them?

Again.

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-02-2020 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 997 Posts

I'd love high speed trains between Dallas and Fort Worth, and all around the metroplex for that matter, as well as down to San Antonio. 35 is a death trap and I hate driving it.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    No, let them make up their own minds...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Going to the moon is pioneering and real americans are pioneers...

They are also independent and love their personal transportation...

Americans are not prepared to wait in line for a body scanner and a pat down to get on a high speed rail that takes three times longer than a plane...

I'd love to see a real poll to determine, or to see just how few americans would actually support such a money pit of an idea...

The Michael "Of the Devil" Chertoff porno-scanners are an irrelevant side issue. They serve no useful purpose in airports either, but that's entirely another thread. People just need to get over this BCE-spawned fear programming.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I do agree with that...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
    I'd love high speed trains between Dallas and Fort Worth, and all around the metroplex for that matter, as well as down to San Antonio. 35 is a death trap and I hate driving it.

It's great dude.

I've stopped flying and driving where possible.

You can sit back relax, have a few drinks, wireless internet, no security shit, no arriving at the airport ages in advance, no travelling to and from the airport.

The US is a big place but definitely for journeys up to about 500 miles fast rail is less stressful and tiring than air or road, and about as fast as air when you factor in all the shit.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's great dude.

I've stopped flying and driving where possible.

You can sit back relax, have a few drinks, wireless internet, no security shit, no arriving at the airport ages in advance, no travelling to and from the airport.

The US is a big place but definitely for journeys up to about 500 miles fast rail is less stressful and tiring than air or road, and about as fast as air when you factor in all the shit.
    Sounds promising...

Where were your trains built ??

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No, let them make up their own minds...
    Well where did you get this cancerous fucking shit about security on rail??? Alex 'I'm fucking mental' Jones?

Get a grip.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yes actually...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
    I'm not sure they really need high-speed within a commuter area such as the DFW metroplex, but a light rail system would be wise, if they don't have one already. Portland Oregon does this well with their MAX system. Salt Lake City has one too (I know this because one of their trains damn near took off the back end of my ride last time I was there, stopped at a ridiculously long red light). There was supposed to be a system here locally that would have gone from Olympia to Everett (some dreamers even wanted to extend it from as far south as Eugene Oregon to Vancouver BC) but that all went into the toilet thanks to Tim Eyman's crusade of budget raping ballot measures, and all that remains is a half assed train from Seattle to Tacoma and one sideline to Sea-Tac airport.

Light rail systems should definitely be encouraged within commuter areas

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sounds promising...

Where were your trains built ??
    Italy I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendolino

Why?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Because ours will probably be built in China...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Because ours will probably be built in China...
    You need to make up your fucking mind whether you believe in capitalism or not. You can't have it both ways.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyway the main cost is the tracks not the trains.

Good trains will pay for themselves.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'd like everything for the trains built here, save for maybe certain parts or specific technology that is only available elsewhere...

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I agree with that......

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well you need to then not complain if you have to pay a bit more probably for something that may well be a bit worse.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So, pay more for less...

Thread Information