X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    I think a big challenge and you see this with Metallica is once they make a lot of money, they have other interests because the money opened those options up. Going on tour and making music might have been great when they had nothing and were hungry and had less options but now money has opened up a whole new world. The next thing you know you are wearing Armani with the trophy wife going to fashion shows and playing polo.
    Money turned them into "Rock Stars". The type of musicians they loathed and despised all those years ago. They became a stereotype.
    I was fortunate enough to witness them in their "hungry/ftw" era (Ride the Lightning/Master). The fucking slayed. Haven't given them a dime of my money since '89.
    Take a band like Slayer or Pantera, both have done well financially, but neither turned into "rock star" pussies or sold out for the big bux by writing "accessible music .
    It's called integrity. And Metallica claims to have plenty, yet in reality they have ZERO.
    Last edited by Diamondjimi; 03-09-2011, 07:51 PM.
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
      It's all about maintaining your passion and desire at that point, as Thrills so eloquently put it.

Yeah. But I imagine passion & desire to improve kinda fly out the window when your current level of skill has reaped $175 million. What is Lars' motivation to improve? To most people just self improvement is enough of a motivator. Be the best you that you can be. I don't really see Lars as this type of person.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
        Money turned them into "Rock Stars". The type of musicians they loathed and despised all those years ago. They became a stereotype.
        I was fortunate enough to witness them in their "hungry/ftw" era (Ride the Lightning/Master). The fucking slayed. Haven't given them a dime of my money since '89.
        Take a band like Slayer or Pantera, both have done well financially, but neither turned into "rock star" pussies or sold out for the big bux by writing "accessible music .
        It's called integrity. And Metallica claims to have plenty, yet in reality they have ZERO.
        "Following our instinct - not a trend...

go against the grain until the end!"

Empty meaningless words now. But those fuckers lived it for a while. That was the attraction.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jhale667
          I totally get what you're saying... if the old adage about "1 live gig equals 1 month's worth of rehearsal" is true, some of these guys - who should by now be beyond masters of their craft AND instruments 30 years later - aren't.
          I had a friend who had a band for 2-3 years. They rehearsed and rehearsed and rehearsed. I think they only played 2 gigs the entire time. I used to get on him about it, and say "Learn 6 songs and get out there and play gigs! You aren't going to get any better playing for the roaches in the rehearsal facility!".

Then the band broke up.

Oh well, whatever.

Comment

• ashstralia
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Feb 2004

these great guitarists all have a beautifully singing but individually recognisable sssooouuunndd.

Comment

Working...