Status

Pro Fuck Ups

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    1st off...I fucking hate Lars. Always have, always will. Especially seeing a clip of him in the studio sipping hot tea. he was complaining about having to come back to work after a year off. He said "argh...I want my vacation back!" And while sipping hot tea? You fucking pussy! QUIT! Go back to playing tennis or baking cookies in your hollow tree home. Let a hungry drummer take your spot that doesn't view playing drums for Metallica work and a chore. It's called "playing" the drums for a reason. It is supposed to be fun. If you are only doing it for the money, you are a god dammed sellout.

Anyways, in defense of Kirk here, James writes some really really weird twitchy riffs. Just the timing of how you play them are really fucking hard to nail down. Best example is Disposable Heroes. Man, I've been trying that whole opening piece for 25 years now & still can't get it right. So off timing & twitchy. So yeah, Kirk is going to have a little trouble getting it down at first. Doesn't mean he sucks.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I fucking hate Lars.

I agree self.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Metallica's record sales are inversely proportional to their talent.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Metallica sucks mainly because their music is devoid of anything musical

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

Well...they launched with those 1st three albums because of the awesome catchy riffs. Written by Dave Mustaine. You can hear those old songs & just tell what is a Mustaine penned riff.

Also, James is extremely likable. Cool voice, has the right look & attitude, and writes some decent shit with very very very cool lyrics. Maybe some of the best lyrics for metal ever.

But they are a much greater band than the sum of all their parts.

I still fucking hate Lars more than anything. I didn't care for Newsted either. That said, I totally dig Trujillo 110%. Love that guy. Kirk is hard to hate. He is like your little brother that tries really hard & is too nice for you to tell him to go fuck himself.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    lars sucks hard. i'll bet he was a sucky tennis player too.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was on the dance floor in a club a couple of months ago and they played 3 big songs in a row something like Panama, Paradise City and the Stones.

DJ then followed it up with Sad But True.

After about a verse I suddenly had a moment of clarity, this is fucking childish rubbish. You wouldn't take it to your band members in the garage at 17, how do they get away with it?

Any hoo I know that's obviously not everyones opinion judging by the 80 million album sales or whatever it is.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Kirk is hard to hate. He is like your little brother that tries really hard & is too nice for you to tell him to go fuck himself.
    Sounds like my cat and sounds like my cat.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You call the SM cat as well ??

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've always known lars was a way overrated drummer...

I guarantee I'm quite a bit better than he is...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "I'm used to having the drummer do the...beat part."

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They should have made "METALLITAP The Movie."

:ELVIS:

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So were Pat Boone's. This has been a staple of the music industry since recording was invented. Hell, even a snot-nosed punk like Pete Townshend knew it in 1965 or so, when he said "If you steer away from quality, you're alright."

Interviewer: But wouldn't you say a group like The Beatles have a certain musical quality?
    Pete Townshend: Oooh, that's a tough question. Alright, actually, this afternoon, John and I were listening to a stereo LP of The Beatles, in which the voices come out of the one side and the backing track came out of the other. And when you actually hear the backing tracks of The Beatles without their voices, they're flippin' lousy.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 03-09-2011 at 12:18 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can understand and forgive people not being that great at their instruments when they get signed, songs are the main thing and image is obviously really important.

What I don't get is these guys that are still pretty shit after being a professional musician(or drummer) for 30 years which is kind of what I was trying to make this thread about rather than drifting into a rant about Metallica.

I read an interview once where Hank Marvin said he didn't improve his guitar playing between about 1964 and 1989. I salute his honesty but WTF?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What I don't get is these guys that are still pretty shit after being a professional musician(or drummer) for 30 years which is kind of what I was trying to make this thread about rather than drifting into a rant about Metallica.
    One possibility is drugs. I mean, did you ever notice that over their entire career, the Grateful Dead never quite managed to get any better?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...they launched with those 1st three albums because of the awesome catchy riffs. Written by Dave Mustaine. You can hear those old songs & just tell what is a Mustaine penned riff.

Also, James is extremely likable. Cool voice, has the right look & attitude, and writes some decent shit with very very very cool lyrics. Maybe some of the best lyrics for metal ever.

But they are a much greater band than the sum of all their parts.

I still fucking hate Lars more than anything. I didn't care for Newsted either. That said, I totally dig Trujillo 110%. Love that guy. Kirk is hard to hate. He is like your little brother that tries really hard & is too nice for you to tell him to go fuck himself.
    What made Metallica was their anti LA glam rock rebellion. That LA scene had become a bad parody of Van Halen and when something gets overdone and boring, people drift to something else. Metallica was really the first grunge band and in the early days, they had the "FUCK YOU!" attitude in droves. It was real and people can smell real rebellion and love it. You really don't need to be the best musicians in the world if you have the attitude and you can be great musicians with no attitude and your art will suck because of it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Once your life gets better and you are no longer pissed at the world, then you are going to lose what made your band work in the first place. What killed Metallica is they are lousy actors. Life got better for them and they brought it into the public eye. They made a huge mistake taping themselves and showing us what they really have become. As far as Lars goes, he's lazy. He ran off to play with the Teletubbies in the green grass and flowers and never touched the drums.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    One possibility is drugs. I mean, did you ever notice that over their entire career, the Grateful Dead never quite managed to get any better?
    another possibility is different motives. While we're wanting to assume these guys are in it for passion of the music as the first motivation, some are content to coast or phone it in or possibly just doing it for the fame.
    They don't get the rush or satisfaction of improving, so it's not their focus.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    LOL! The Grateful Dead was an acid soaked jazz band. There were no goals other than enjoying the journey to who knows where. They actually got worse as time went on but nobody seemed to care.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Like many of you I had absolutely no use for Metallica but they did a great job on the Freddie Mercury tribute.

I haven't heard enough of it to judge although their early bass player Cliff definately had talent.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You can tell if your band is good by looking at the audience. When you start to see the smiles and people start to dance, bingo! you have them. If they just sit there, you are sucking and if they get angry, you are really sucking.

I think bands start to suck when they become studio rats. The musicians who get it, always play as much as they can in front of a live audience. You need that feedback and the audience is part of the art project.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can understand and forgive people not being that great at their instruments when they get signed, songs are the main thing and image is obviously really important.

I read an interview once where Hank Marvin said he didn't improve his guitar playing between about 1964 and 1989. I salute his honesty but WTF?

I got ya. Well what about Scott Ian from Anthrax? I swear that the Anthrax songs are so easy to play for any beginning guitarist. Just a few very simple bar chords. What I liked is that it was easy to get my fingers in the right spot and I didn't have to fumblefuck around the guitar neck looking for the correct frets. It was just a few easy chords.

But Scott Ian said it isn't about being musically correct. 4-2-4 or something. He said if a sound seems cool he will do it and repeat it over as many times as seems to be the coolest in the song. There are songs where the chord goes CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH 7 times, 11 times, etc. He didn't ever stick to the "It has to be played 2 times, then a change-up to 4 times, then back to 2".

95% of the fans don't care how complex or technically correct the music is. If it sounds cool & you can bang your head or tap your foot to it = album sale.

And once you get the band popular, what is the motivation to practice & improve your skill? No way dude. In fact you probably do that less since now you have money & lifestyle to sit back & enjoy. I'll practice my playing on the 60 dates we are playing live this year. Why attempt to get better if your current level of skill is selling a million albums?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was in a bass class taught by Jack Casady and he told us you can't excel in music without doing it with others and playing in front of people. He said you can practice all you want alone in a room but you will never master music doing that.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I totally get what you're saying... if the old adage about "1 live gig equals 1 month's worth of rehearsal" is true, some of these guys - who should by now be beyond masters of their craft AND instruments 30 years later - aren't.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You can keep the fire or you can morph into the Spinal Tap Jazz Odyssey self wankery stage. Metallica should call themselves Spinal Tap now because the do have a black album.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post
    another possibility is different motives. While we're wanting to assume these guys are in it for passion of the music as the first motivation, some are content to coast or phone it in or possibly just doing it for the fame.
    They don't get the rush or satisfaction of improving, so it's not their focus.

I picked up the guitar with dreams of being a rock star (EVH in particular). My dreams were of being on stage, being rich, famous, admired, and bagging any pussy I wanted. I love music and guitar specifically. But I wouldn't say I have a deep love for the actual instrument and what it can attain. When I think of those types I come up with Satriani, Johnson, Vai, McAlpine, Lukather, etc. There are only a handful of those guys that if they walked into a room that had a naked super model and a new guitar in it, their eyes would go straight to the guitar & not even notice the naked woman.

I didn't want to be a wizard on the guitar. Just play well enough to make it sound pretty cool & get pussy.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I didn't want to be a wizard on the guitar. Just play well enough to make it sound pretty cool & get pussy.
    Conversely, I wanted to be a guitar wizard that got pussy...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Conversely, I wanted to be a guitar wizard that got pussy...
    I still think the lead singers get more pussy but then you can be the lead singing guitar wizard. Not only did Hendrix get laid a lot, they honored his cock by making a plaster cast replica of it.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Some Kind of Monster is really what turned me off for both James and Lars....

Talk about a pair of absolutely spoiled, sellout assholes.... It's like they completely forgot where they came from....

On top of that, listen to any Metallica boot, and listen to how basically condescending James talks to the crowd.... It's like he talks down to the crowd....

On the contrary, I've always thought Kirk and Jason (and now Robert I would say) would be really cool guys to just sit down and have a beer with... Just like in VH I think MA would be that way....

Just my .02....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Society has degraded to the point where this aspect of rock and roll does not have the impact it once did, but I think the big appeal of rock and roll is you could break all of societys rules, get away with it, and get rich in the process.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I picked up the guitar with dreams of being a rock star (EVH in particular). My dreams were of being on stage, being rich, famous, admired, and bagging any pussy I wanted. I love music and guitar specifically. But I wouldn't say I have a deep love for the actual instrument and what it can attain. When I think of those types I come up with Satriani, Johnson, Vai, McAlpine, Lukather, etc. There are only a handful of those guys that if they walked into a room that had a naked super model and a new guitar in it, their eyes would go straight to the guitar & not even notice the naked woman.

This post is too honest.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    All I know is if heaven is where all your dreams come true, heaven is going to be one heck of an orgy of excess.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Some Kind of Monster is really what turned me off for both James and Lars....

Talk about a pair of absolutely spoiled, sellout assholes.... It's like they completely forgot where they came from....

On top of that, listen to any Metallica boot, and listen to how basically condescending James talks to the crowd.... It's like he talks down to the crowd....

On the contrary, I've always thought Kirk and Jason (and now Robert I would say) would be really cool guys to just sit down and have a beer with... Just like in VH I think MA would be that way....

Just my .02....
    I met Trujillo during the Infectious Grooves days, and he was cool as shit....totally the kind of guy you'd want to hang out with, probably had a great deal to do with (besides being a monster player) why he got the gig.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    R.T. is a badass. Perfect dude for the band...
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lars has got to be the biggest run-of -the-mouth to ever do an interview. I'd rather watch paint dry than read/watch his babbling shite....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I'm afraid to admit I was the same.

So when my band split up and I wasn't single then I basically didn't play for 10 years.

In the last few years I've come back to it expecting all these bands to have technical abilities like Rush. I don't mean playing that kind of music because that would be self defeating but in things like the Monster film or watching clips of Ozzy's latest band you think these people have actually gone backwards.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-09-2011 at 03:59 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Lars has got to be the biggest run-of -the-mouth to ever do an interview. I'd rather watch paint dry than read/watch his babbling shite....
    His money will run out some time and then he will resurface with his big mouth trying to make more money when nobody cares any more. What else can Lars do but drum for Metallica? He can't even do that now. The thrill is gone Lars.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Unless they impose a prick tax then I don't see him spending his $175 million any time soon.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ich-net-worth/

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah but how is that $175 million invested? I hope he invested with Madoff.

Thread Information