• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
    1.0mm, brand be damned.
    Pretty much in that boat, though I do like the Claytons due to the non-slip powder coat...I like Dunlop gels too. Sometimes I'll practice w/ a 2.00 mm for a bit to increase the difficulty level...then when you step back down to a 1.00 you can FLY....

Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• ashstralia
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Feb 2004

we're really spoiled for choices these days, i remember in the early '80s there was dunlop or cheap plastic crap. i've found over the years as my skills improved that i could get away with using lighter gauges which are better for rhythm playing imo, but still have a bit of firmness for alternate picking. i tell my students to spend 20 bucks and buy one of everything, and find the one they really like. i've been using the tortex triangles for about 15 years now, i love how no matter how you hold it you've always got a usable point, and they take 3 times longer to wear out...

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

I discovered the Dunlop Nylons back in the early 80s. For awhile I used the .72 versions, and have also used the 1mm versions, but my fave by far is the .88. I like the raised dots and lettering, as it makes them easier to grip. I have trouble hanging on to my picks when performing live.

Friend of mine used to work at a company in Wichita, KS called Player Piano Company, Inc. They are the only company on Earth that makes parts for player pianos.

Anyway, down in the basement of the building there were some old junk pianos laying around, and my friend took the ivory caps off some of the keys, and made some guitar picks out of them.
        I still have one, I hang on to it purely for sentimental reasons. You are talking a pretty stiff pick when you use the top off a piano key like that, lol.

Jim Dunlop RULES!

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

I've lived and died by the Dunlop Tortex 1.14 for the better part of twenty years now. Not only do they stick to your thumb and finger like Superglue, but they are really handy for breaking your car's window should you drive into a canal on the way home from a gig.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Here's a question: Does everyone pick with the pointed edge of most of what's pictured in this thread, or do you rotate it for different effects? I'm told I have an "odd" picking style due to that and the fact that I alternately hold the pick sideways, or like I hold a pencil. The sideways thing I got from checking out George Lynch back in the day, the pencil-thing just feels natural, just kind of evolved that way. But the rotation thing allows greater ease of artificial harmonics on the plain strings, and also the ability to get that effect on partial chords too, which is fun...

If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Yes, I have huge thumbs. Get over it.

For example:

That's the quasi-Lynch thing...works pretty well once you get used to it...

And here's my "pencil-grip", but then I'm told I grip pencils and pens oddly too...but hey, you would too if you had my ginormous fingers!

That's pretty much my standard pick grip...Clayton 1.00mm used in the pics, for those keeping score...lol

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                Here's a question: Does everyone pick with the pointed edge of most of what's pictured in this thread, or do you rotate it for different effects? I'm told I have an "odd" picking style due to that and the fact that I alternately hold the pick sideways, or like I hold a pencil. The sideways thing I got from checking out George Lynch back in the day, the pencil-thing just feels natural, just kind of evolved that way. But the rotation thing allows greater ease of artificial harmonics on the plain strings, and also the ability to get that effect on partial chords too, which is fun...

Remember when we were younger and VH hit the scene, everyone tried picking like Eddie Van Halen (holding it with your thumb and pinkie, or some damned variation, I forget now...)? For the life of me, I couldn't get it to work, so I just stuck with what was comfortable (thumb/forefinger). The thing is, on some of those old ZZ Top tunes everyone had to cover, it was a pain in the ass figuring out how to get those squeally harmonics without adjusting the pick somehow. I also found that I could bury and hold the pick between my fingers when I needed to finger pick, then simply roll the pick back in place in a fluid movement. People were astounded that I could do this naturally, pretty much the same way I am amazed at people that can roll quarters around their hands or singlehandedly juggle pens in a way that seems supernatural.

It all comes down to what works most effectively for you personally. Let's face it, if any of us really cared what others were doing, we'd all still be dropping picks on the floor trying to be Edward Van Halen.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  Remember when we were younger and VH hit the scene, everyone tried picking like Eddie Van Halen (holding it with your thumb and pinkie, or some damned variation, I forget now...)? For the life of me, I couldn't get it to work, so I just stuck with what was comfortable (thumb/forefinger). The thing is, on some of those old ZZ Top tunes everyone had to cover, it was a pain in the ass figuring out how to get those squeally harmonics without adjusting the pick somehow. I also found that I could bury and hold the pick between my fingers when I needed to finger pick, then simply roll the pick back in place in a fluid movement. People were astounded that I could do this naturally, pretty much the same way I am amazed at people that can roll quarters around their hands or singlehandedly juggle pens in a way that seems supernatural.

It all comes down to what works most effectively for you personally. Let's face it, if any of us really cared what others were doing, we'd all still be dropping picks on the floor trying to be Edward Van Halen.
                  Exactly, exactly.
                  I could be wrong, but I always thought his tremolo-picking deal was the thumb and middle finger, with the index supporting? I can kinda do it that way, but it's never gonna sound like HIM... I totally get the comments about rolling the pick around too - and you're right, when it comes down to it, it's what works for you...but I like having the options.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

That's so weird, I had to pick one up to check.

I'm a thumb and middle finger person. I think that someone told me to do it that way probably based on Eddie Van Halen but oddly if I do tap these days, which is rarely, then I actually use my middle finger for that too so it's no help.

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

When I'm flat out strumming I play with my index and middle finger on the pick..........when I'm hitting each string in the chord I'm playing, I use my thumb and index finger.

.....but then again....I'm a drummer
                      Originally posted by vandeleur
                      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                        When I'm flat out strumming I play with my index and middle finger on the pick..........when I'm hitting each string in the chord I'm playing, I use my thumb and index finger.
                        Same here.

We forgive you...
                        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• kwame k
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Feb 2008

Phew......glad I'm forgiven! So now I'm part of the cool guy guitarist club, right
                          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• jhale667
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Phew......glad I'm forgiven! So now I'm part of the cool guy guitarist club, right
                            Let's not go that far yet.... just kidding, bro!

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

You must be one of those new drummers I've been hearing about that actually have opposable thumbs.

Comment

Working...