X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThrillsNSpills
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

new Foo Fighters

love the drum part even if it was heard first on YYZ.
    I haven't followed them much since Color and the Shape but this one's got a good kick to it.
  • VAiN
    Use my hand, I won't look
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

This album sounds like it'll be a rocker... they got Butch Vig on board to produce. I'm looking forward to catching them in concert soon. They're a great live band, I strongly recommend them to anyone who hasn't had the opportunity.

Here's the other single, White Limo:
    Last edited by VAiN; 03-18-2011, 06:34 PM.
    Originally posted by wiseguy
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Sounds like they're being more adventurous and raw.

I do think that Grohl had a look at Josh Homme's songbook, however.
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Foo Fighters are so much better than Nirvana ever was. I saw them open for the Police in 2007 and they were terrific. Dave Grohl is a very talented dude. Looking forward to listening to this stuff.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

I always like Nirvana, but they suffer from being overplayed.

'In Utero' was a really, really interesting record. 'Unplugged' also showed how versatile, and emotive, they could be.

Foo Fighters are a lot of fun though. They often release patchy albums, but you can't argue with 'The Colour and the Shape.'

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
            This album sounds like it'll be a rocker... they got Butch Vig on board to produce. I'm looking forward to catching them in concert soon. They're a great live band, I strongly recommend them to anyone who hasn't had the opportunity.

Here's the other single, White Limo:
            Is it Lemmy at the wheel?

I've always dug Dave Grohl's drumming, drive and attitude. He was the colour in Nirvana IMO. A very funny, easy-going guy, playing some very catchy stuff (which is less obvious on these two tunes, though).

To me, the voices are the weak link in there... Too soft in the first single, and too cougarish in the second.
            posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Mr Walker
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Funny that I found this thread...
              I was just coming here to share some thoughts on Grohl and his band after reading this article late last week...

Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl has told the Hollywood Reporter that he and his bandmates will not give permission for "Times Like These" to be used on "Glee."

"It's every band's right, you shouldn't have to do fucking 'Glee,' "Grohl said after the premiere of the documentary "Foo Fighters: Back and Forth," at South By Southwest. "And then the guy who created 'Glee' is so offended that we're not, like, begging to be on his fucking show. . . . Fuck that guy for thinking anybody and everybody should want to do 'Glee.' "

After that I asked myself... why am I not a fan of this guy and his music?
              I had the self titled disc when it first came out but since then I never really got into the band's catalog apart from what I would catch here and there... I guess I felt it was going to be a one off throwaway kind of thing so I never subscribed to the band.
              This dude has so much rock cred apart from the whole Nirvana thing (hangs with Lemmy, jams with Page and JPJ, did an album with fuckers like Cronos and King Diamond (Probot), played drums on the first Tenacious D album and a lot more).
              I made it a point to secure their back catalog this weekend in prep for the upcoming film, cd and tour and I will make sure that i catch a show when they are in my area.
              Feels like the right thing to do.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Mr Walker.

Start with 'The Colour and the Shape' (their best); then go on to 'In Your Honor'.

There are plenty of good tunes on 'Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace', 'One By One' and 'There is Nothing Left To Lose', but they are patchy affairs. Foo Fighters are a great rock band, though. High energy with pop sensibilites - nothing wrong with that.

If you haven't already, check out his drumming on Queens Of The Stone Age 'Songs For the Deaf' and the 'Them Crooked Vultures' albums (both great discs.)

Comment

• Mr Walker
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

I've been listening to different tracks over the weekend... this morning at work I queued up 'The Colour & The Shape', 'E,S,P&G' and now I'm onto the live 'Skin & Bones'.

Comment

• VAiN
                    Use my hand, I won't look
                    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by binnie
                    If you haven't already, check out his drumming on Queens Of The Stone Age 'Songs For the Deaf' and the 'Them Crooked Vultures' albums (both great discs.)
                    +1 on this... both are awesome CDS... Them Crooked Vultures really rock and are very different.
                    Originally posted by wiseguy
                    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

(I wish this had been filmed professionally and released by now. Sorry for the dodgy quality, as it's an audience clip.)

Three years to the day later, this is still one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Imagine, you are at a Foo Fighter's show, thinking of taking a bathroom break during Taylor Hawkins' drum solo, and these fuckers just happen to walk out on stage...

RUSH Legends Jam With FOO FIGHTERS In Toronto; Video Available - Mar. 23, 2008

BLABBERMOUTH

According to the Sun Media, RUSH singer-bassist Geddy Lee and guitarist Alex Lifeson surprised the crowd by showing up about an hour into the FOO FIGHTERS' two-hour-and-10-minute performance to play with drummer Taylor Hawkins during his drum solo and the three musicans then played "YYZ", a spiralling progressive-rock instrumental from RUSH's 1981 album "Moving Pictures".

The Toronto prog-rockers injected some much-needed energy and excitement into the proceedings and Hawkins even had a hug for Lee afterwards.

"Rush! Rush!" screamed FOO FIGHTERS leader Dave Grohl in amazement as the two musicians walked off stage.

"You've got nuts the size of grapefruits," said Grohl to Hawkins after he played with Lee and Lifeson.

The members of the two bands know each other through Nick Raskulinecz, a U.S. record producer who has worked with both groups, most recently on RUSH's "Snakes & Arrows" album in 2007.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

It must hard being Taylor Hawkins - being the second best drummer in your own band.....

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

VH 1 is running some sort of documentary this evening on the band's history and the making of the Foo's latest album. Check your local listings, ect.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ashstralia
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Feb 2004

grohley is an honorary aussie. coupla stories. years ago foos played the 'big day out' festival up here on the gold coast. a popular transport option for the artists to get from accom to venue is moped hire. so grohley gets pulled over and breath tested, tests positive, he actually flew all the way back a few months later to attend local court in person. way cool. the trapped beaconsfield miners were fans of the band. grohley has not only met and beered on with them a few times, he wrote a song about 'em. last weekend they played a big outdoor show in brisbane, all proceeds to the queensland flood appeal. what a fucking stand out champion human.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                              Full Member Status

• May 2010

Originally posted by chefcraig
                              VH 1 is running some sort of documentary this evening on the band's history and the making of the Foo's latest album. Check your local listings, ect.

The doc was commercial free and time lined from the Nirvana craze and before, (the different musicians and bands that have made up Grol and other musicians) interesting.

They have taken the time to give something back to the fans and that is what I dig.

I will be at the store within a day or so of this new release .

P.S. I also dig in the garden.

Vote Vegetable.
                              2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                              clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

Working...