Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Foo Fighters

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

new Foo Fighters

love the drum part even if it was heard first on YYZ.
    I haven't followed them much since Color and the Shape but this one's got a good kick to it.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This album sounds like it'll be a rocker... they got Butch Vig on board to produce. I'm looking forward to catching them in concert soon. They're a great live band, I strongly recommend them to anyone who hasn't had the opportunity.

Here's the other single, White Limo:
    Last edited by VAiN; 03-18-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sounds like they're being more adventurous and raw.

I do think that Grohl had a look at Josh Homme's songbook, however.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Foo Fighters are so much better than Nirvana ever was. I saw them open for the Police in 2007 and they were terrific. Dave Grohl is a very talented dude. Looking forward to listening to this stuff.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I always like Nirvana, but they suffer from being overplayed.

'In Utero' was a really, really interesting record. 'Unplugged' also showed how versatile, and emotive, they could be.

Foo Fighters are a lot of fun though. They often release patchy albums, but you can't argue with 'The Colour and the Shape.'

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    This album sounds like it'll be a rocker... they got Butch Vig on board to produce. I'm looking forward to catching them in concert soon. They're a great live band, I strongly recommend them to anyone who hasn't had the opportunity.

Here's the other single, White Limo:
    Is it Lemmy at the wheel?

I've always dug Dave Grohl's drumming, drive and attitude. He was the colour in Nirvana IMO. A very funny, easy-going guy, playing some very catchy stuff (which is less obvious on these two tunes, though).

To me, the voices are the weak link in there... Too soft in the first single, and too cougarish in the second.
    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Funny that I found this thread...
    I was just coming here to share some thoughts on Grohl and his band after reading this article late last week...

Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl has told the Hollywood Reporter that he and his bandmates will not give permission for "Times Like These" to be used on "Glee."

"It's every band's right, you shouldn't have to do fucking 'Glee,' "Grohl said after the premiere of the documentary "Foo Fighters: Back and Forth," at South By Southwest. "And then the guy who created 'Glee' is so offended that we're not, like, begging to be on his fucking show. . . . Fuck that guy for thinking anybody and everybody should want to do 'Glee.' "

After that I asked myself... why am I not a fan of this guy and his music?
    I had the self titled disc when it first came out but since then I never really got into the band's catalog apart from what I would catch here and there... I guess I felt it was going to be a one off throwaway kind of thing so I never subscribed to the band.
    This dude has so much rock cred apart from the whole Nirvana thing (hangs with Lemmy, jams with Page and JPJ, did an album with fuckers like Cronos and King Diamond (Probot), played drums on the first Tenacious D album and a lot more).
    I made it a point to secure their back catalog this weekend in prep for the upcoming film, cd and tour and I will make sure that i catch a show when they are in my area.
    Feels like the right thing to do.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mr Walker.

Start with 'The Colour and the Shape' (their best); then go on to 'In Your Honor'.

There are plenty of good tunes on 'Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace', 'One By One' and 'There is Nothing Left To Lose', but they are patchy affairs. Foo Fighters are a great rock band, though. High energy with pop sensibilites - nothing wrong with that.

If you haven't already, check out his drumming on Queens Of The Stone Age 'Songs For the Deaf' and the 'Them Crooked Vultures' albums (both great discs.)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've been listening to different tracks over the weekend... this morning at work I queued up 'The Colour & The Shape', 'E,S,P&G' and now I'm onto the live 'Skin & Bones'.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    If you haven't already, check out his drumming on Queens Of The Stone Age 'Songs For the Deaf' and the 'Them Crooked Vultures' albums (both great discs.)
    +1 on this... both are awesome CDS... Them Crooked Vultures really rock and are very different.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    (I wish this had been filmed professionally and released by now. Sorry for the dodgy quality, as it's an audience clip.)

Three years to the day later, this is still one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Imagine, you are at a Foo Fighter's show, thinking of taking a bathroom break during Taylor Hawkins' drum solo, and these fuckers just happen to walk out on stage...

RUSH Legends Jam With FOO FIGHTERS In Toronto; Video Available - Mar. 23, 2008

BLABBERMOUTH

According to the Sun Media, RUSH singer-bassist Geddy Lee and guitarist Alex Lifeson surprised the crowd by showing up about an hour into the FOO FIGHTERS' two-hour-and-10-minute performance to play with drummer Taylor Hawkins during his drum solo and the three musicans then played "YYZ", a spiralling progressive-rock instrumental from RUSH's 1981 album "Moving Pictures".

The Toronto prog-rockers injected some much-needed energy and excitement into the proceedings and Hawkins even had a hug for Lee afterwards.

"Rush! Rush!" screamed FOO FIGHTERS leader Dave Grohl in amazement as the two musicians walked off stage.

"You've got nuts the size of grapefruits," said Grohl to Hawkins after he played with Lee and Lifeson.

The members of the two bands know each other through Nick Raskulinecz, a U.S. record producer who has worked with both groups, most recently on RUSH's "Snakes & Arrows" album in 2007.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It must hard being Taylor Hawkins - being the second best drummer in your own band.....

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    VH 1 is running some sort of documentary this evening on the band's history and the making of the Foo's latest album. Check your local listings, ect.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    grohley is an honorary aussie. coupla stories. years ago foos played the 'big day out' festival up here on the gold coast. a popular transport option for the artists to get from accom to venue is moped hire. so grohley gets pulled over and breath tested, tests positive, he actually flew all the way back a few months later to attend local court in person. way cool. the trapped beaconsfield miners were fans of the band. grohley has not only met and beered on with them a few times, he wrote a song about 'em. last weekend they played a big outdoor show in brisbane, all proceeds to the queensland flood appeal. what a fucking stand out champion human.

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    VH 1 is running some sort of documentary this evening on the band's history and the making of the Foo's latest album. Check your local listings, ect.

The doc was commercial free and time lined from the Nirvana craze and before, (the different musicians and bands that have made up Grol and other musicians) interesting.

They have taken the time to give something back to the fans and that is what I dig.

I will be at the store within a day or so of this new release .

P.S. I also dig in the garden.

Vote Vegetable.
    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    blaze, do you really need an alias?

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yup, can't compete with "The Colour and The Shape". One of my most listened records, ever. "Everlong" and "New Way Home" rank among the best and most catchy "rock pop rock" tunes ever.

The albums after that have had their moments, but "Colour" is still the best.

The new one sounds interesting. I saw them back in 2008, and it looked like the Foo Fighters have entered the "mammoth band" status, but I'm glad they seem to survive.

Them Crooked Vultures was a bit of a disappointment though.
    Last edited by Golden AWe; 04-09-2011 at 07:04 AM.
    Originally posted by Cato
    Golden, why are you FAT?
    Originally posted by lesfunk
    Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    That flying V in the new video used to belong to the guitarist in Motorhead. Dave bought it from him and you can see it in the Ace of Spades performance from The Young Ones from the early '80s. Check it...

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    blaze, do you really need an alias?
    Missed me already did ya, Ashley ? I have spludge ya here. I would not recognize the Foo Fighters if you put them in a line-up. Prior to this thread, had I been asked what genre the Foos were, I would have said pop with a lean toward electronic dance.

Numb-nuts up there, clarathecarrot, is attempting an angry shrine.. err, rather a disingenuous shrine.

As someone says so well - Carry on.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Missed me already did ya, Ashley ? I have spludge ya here. I would not recognize the Foo Fighters if you put them in a line-up. Prior to this thread, had I been asked what genre the Foos were, I would have said pop with a lean toward electronic dance.

Numb-nuts up there, clarathecarrot, is attempting an angry shrine.. err, rather a disingenuous shrine.

As someone says so well - Carry on.

Perhaps,... you could help me with my pop-up book ? I need a forward / backend reverse cowgirl to assist me with the full release notes.

The shape needs some editing, stretching and perhaps some input.

Working title; Jump Up And Down On This.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    Funny that I found this thread...
    I was just coming here to share some thoughts on Grohl and his band after reading this article late last week...

Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl has told the Hollywood Reporter that he and his bandmates will not give permission for "Times Like These" to be used on "Glee."

"It's every band's right, you shouldn't have to do fucking 'Glee,' "Grohl said after the premiere of the documentary "Foo Fighters: Back and Forth," at South By Southwest. "And then the guy who created 'Glee' is so offended that we're not, like, begging to be on his fucking show. . . . Fuck that guy for thinking anybody and everybody should want to do 'Glee.' "

After that I asked myself... why am I not a fan of this guy and his music?
    I had the self titled disc when it first came out but since then I never really got into the band's catalog apart from what I would catch here and there... I guess I felt it was going to be a one off throwaway kind of thing so I never subscribed to the band.
    This dude has so much rock cred apart from the whole Nirvana thing (hangs with Lemmy, jams with Page and JPJ, did an album with fuckers like Cronos and King Diamond (Probot), played drums on the first Tenacious D album and a lot more).
    I made it a point to secure their back catalog this weekend in prep for the upcoming film, cd and tour and I will make sure that i catch a show when they are in my area.
    Feels like the right thing to do.
    I dig the new single.

The Foos are probably one of the best practicioners of widely distributed straight-up American hard guitar rock left standing these days. Not that hard of a feat considering the current state of rock, but it's not a case of them being mediocre and only seeming to be good because the rest of it is varying degrees of shite.

I'd still say the first two Foo albums were the best from start-to-finish, but they're...what...fifteen years into their existence and still banging out good stuff like Rope. I wouldn't rank Grohl's music or abilities quite in the same league as the true rock giants in my book, but for his time he's among the better rock musicians out there.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I dig the new single.

The Foos are probably one of the best practicioners of widely distributed straight-up American hard guitar rock left standing these days. Not that hard of a feat considering the current state of rock, but it's not a case of them being mediocre and only seeming to be good because the rest of it is varying degrees of shite.

I'd still say the first two Foo albums were the best from start-to-finish, but they're...what...fifteen years into their existence and still banging out good stuff like Rope. I wouldn't rank Grohl's music or abilities quite in the same league as the true rock giants in my book, but for his time he's among the better rock musicians out there.
    I posted the link to their new single over two weeks ago. Thank you for attending the meetin'.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-10-2011 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Foo Fighters are carrying the Torch.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Last edited by ThrillsNSpills; 04-11-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    I posted the link to their new single over two weeks ago. Thank you for attending the meetin'.
    The older I get, the much longer it takes me to keep up with anything new in terms of realtime response, so two weeks is actually pretty good by those diminished standards

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    and the video for 'next year' is classic. in fact all of their early vids were. i remember a time when new foo's clips were anticipated with an almost rothian fervour.

edit
    years ago, a kid came to his lesson after the big day out. i says, 'so what did ya learn from your first big rock show, kid?'
    he says, 'the foo fighters are the best rock band. my hero is their best song. i wanna learn that.'

that kid is kicking arse in his own career now. g'day ryan, love ya mate.
    Last edited by ashstralia; 04-13-2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: self aggrandisement, vis a vis successful students.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    and thanks for the original post, thrills. you rock dude

um...yeah
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Somewhere out there, I'm sure Courtney Love must be really pissed off at all the success Dave Grohl is having these days!

while she still drags her cooch through the gutters of L.A.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CROWBAR View Post
    Somewhere out there, I'm sure Courtney Love must be really pissed off at all the success Dave Grohl is having these days!

Yeah, sometimes I wonder how much of Kurt's money she has left.. She's such a filthy cunt.

um...yeah
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, sometimes I wonder how much of Kurt's money she has left.. She's such a filthy cunt.
    I can't stand that skank. They should have her picture next to that word in the dictionary.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gotta pick this one up and leave Forevermore in the bargain bin...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    binnie would still hit it.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damn right.

I might leave it a year or too though, right until she has that 'will work for food' look in her eyes.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just a great band. Good album too. Interesting to see Pat Smear back in the band.
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Free download of "I should have known"

<OBJECT classid= <PARAM NAME="movie" VALUE="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070 822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F3df33bc9-b472-4a38-bec0-970ee9eb60fa&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate"><PARAM NAME="quality" VALUE="high"><PARAM NAME="bgcolor" VALUE="#FFFFFF"><PARAM NAME="allowscriptaccess" VALUE="always"><embed src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070 822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F3df33bc9-b472-4a38-bec0-970ee9eb60fa&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate" id="Player_3df33bc9-b472-4a38-bec0-970ee9eb60fa" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="Player_3df33bc9-b472-4a38-bec0-970ee9eb60fa" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" height="280px" width="336px"></embed></OBJECT> <NOSCRIPT><A HREF="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070 822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F3df33bc9-b472-4a38-bec0-970ee9eb60fa&Operation=NoScript">Amazon.com Widgets</A></NOSCRIPT>

<OBJECT classid= <PARAM NAME="movie" VALUE="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070 822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F7cc97cc8-6df5-459f-8f4f-ebb07f4e5e7e&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate"><PARAM NAME="quality" VALUE="high"><PARAM NAME="bgcolor" VALUE="#FFFFFF"><PARAM NAME="allowscriptaccess" VALUE="always"><embed src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070 822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F7cc97cc8-6df5-459f-8f4f-ebb07f4e5e7e&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate" id="Player_7cc97cc8-6df5-459f-8f4f-ebb07f4e5e7e" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="Player_7cc97cc8-6df5-459f-8f4f-ebb07f4e5e7e" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" height="280px" width="336px"></embed></OBJECT> <NOSCRIPT><A HREF="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070 822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F7cc97cc8-6df5-459f-8f4f-ebb07f4e5e7e&Operation=NoScript">Amazon.com Widgets</A></NOSCRIPT>

<OBJECT classid=<PARAM NAME="movie" VALUE="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070 822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F8edf04ef-269b-47bc-9925-3979fe739bb2&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate"><PARAM NAME="quality" VALUE="high"><PARAM NAME="bgcolor" VALUE="#FFFFFF"><PARAM NAME="allowscriptaccess" VALUE="always"><embed src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070 822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F8edf04ef-269b-47bc-9925-3979fe739bb2&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate" id="Player_8edf04ef-269b-47bc-9925-3979fe739bb2" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="Player_8edf04ef-269b-47bc-9925-3979fe739bb2" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" height="280px" width="336px"></embed></OBJECT> <NOSCRIPT><A HREF="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070 822%2FUS%2Fjuliaclorg-20%2F8014%2F8edf04ef-269b-47bc-9925-3979fe739bb2&Operation=NoScript">Amazon.com Widgets</A></NOSCRIPT>

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CROWBAR View Post

Yeah, but Live Through This is just as brilliant as the Foos at their absolute best, so she'll always have that...for whatever that is worth these days.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vengeance View Post
    Just a great band. Good album too. Interesting to see Pat Smear back in the band.
    Probably not a coincidence that Smear rejoins and Rope is the first Foos stuff since The Colour and the Shapethat struck me right out of the box as great.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just think. Dave seems to be a Name after God's own heart.

Keep that flame alive.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-15-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: What's the Haps?....Pat's Smear?

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    After some time with this album, I must say it's no "Colour and the shape". Doesn't mean it's no good, but somehow this band manages to make GREAT songs, but forgettable albums. In my opinion. And "forgettable" doesn't mean I don't listen to them, it's just that a year later after they're released, I'm dying to hear them on tour and have some of those songs on my head, but the album is not on my playlist anymore.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    That flying V in the new video used to belong to the guitarist in Motorhead. Dave bought it from him and you can see it in the Ace of Spades performance from The Young Ones from the early '80s. Check it...

Wow Thanks! My 1985 Hondo Flying V was "gifted" to my land lord.....Fucker. Had that guitar for 20 years.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-17-2011 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Fucker. Oh Well.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's not as complete as 'The COlour and the Shape', but its is their best album since by some distance. Next to no filler, which is rare for the Foos.

Thread Information